Component for PS2 better than regular? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 03-10-2005, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I just got a new TV with video component inputs and I'm wondering if I should buy the component adapter for the PS2. My new TV isn't a HDTV so would the picture quality be better if I switch to component? I don't want to waste money for the cables if there's no difference. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-10-2005, 03:53 PM

Better than composite? By a long shot.

Better than S-video? Narrow margin.
post #3 of 29 Old 03-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

If I were you...I'd buy S video cables and be done with it. But That will prob only save you 5 bucks...its on you.
post #4 of 29 Old 03-10-2005, 04:12 PM

component is the best even without 480p support.. just like blkout said..personally unless you don't have enough inputs I'd get component
post #5 of 29 Old 03-10-2005, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Guess I'll just stop by walmart to get the component cables. They have the madcatz and intec pro. Madcatz is $12 and intec pro is $20. Which one should i get?
post #6 of 29 Old 03-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

On your TV ...your not going to be able to tell the difference between svideo and component...just get what ever is cheaper. that madcatz at 12 bucks is cheap but i couldnt tell you if its quality or not.

To be honest I don't buy anything made by those 2 companies..just have had bad experiences with them. Im sure there are some reviews somewhere on them.
post #7 of 29 Old 03-10-2005, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well...I want the component because I plan to get a HDTV later on. There's not much of choice for the adapter. There's only the sony one (looks like crap), monster (no way in hell I'm buying this one) and the other two.
post #8 of 29 Old 03-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Dude...my advice..don't waste a component output from a HDTV on a ps2. Thats a waste of a good component:D I use a svideo for my ps2 on my HDTV as we speak. Very few ps2 games will make good use of that component.

But those cables are cheap so no since passing up buying the better connection ...just get the 12 dollar one and if it sucks..take it back...thats the american way.

Never buy monster anything.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-10-2005, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I only have one component slot and one s-video. Current I'm using the s-video for connecting the TV and PC. I have to go component unless there's a way to use the component to connect PC to TV. BTW, my TV isn't HD.
post #10 of 29 Old 03-11-2005, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vome
Guess I'll just stop by walmart to get the component cables. They have the madcatz and intec pro. Madcatz is $12 and intec pro is $20. Which one should i get?
Madcatz products are very cheap and build quality is terrible, stay away from them.
post #11 of 29 Old 03-11-2005, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by vome
There's only the sony one (looks like crap), monster (no way in hell I'm buying this one) and the other two.
Although the Sony cables look like "crap", I'd say that's the best bang for your buck. I have the Sony cables, and am happy with them.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #12 of 29 Old 03-11-2005, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oktoberrust11
Although the Sony cables look like "crap", I'd say that's the best bang for your buck. I have the Sony cables, and am happy with them.
I agree that the Sony cables are great for the money, I only bought the Monster version because I needed a 10ft length.
post #13 of 29 Old 03-11-2005, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The only reason I would avoid third party cables (other than Monster) is that they tend to have a poor fit. The specs never seem right. Some pins fit better than others, etc.

I did recently buy Intec component cables for my PS2 simply because they were 90% off at Toys R Us ($1.99). I had to adjust the pins and collar a little as some were too loose and some were too tight. Other than that, they look the same as my Sony component cables.
post #14 of 29 Old 03-11-2005, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I got PS2 component adapter here, for $6.99 (I think shipping was 5 bucks).

http://www.the-console-corner.com/sh...9&cat=3&page=1

Connected to Z2 projector, they work fine. I was a little worried (how worried do you get over $15), as I never heard of the company. They emailed me, and sent the product promptly. No problems.
post #15 of 29 Old 03-11-2005, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I got component for my PS2 for GT4 (1080i) but when its not running HD it looks worse, the whole screen moves in a wavy motion, which my S-video cable didnt do. Oh yea both cables are Sony brand. I think thats just my stuff though but still pretty weird and annoying.

Gamertag: Ikazu
post #16 of 29 Old 03-11-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunkist
I got component for my PS2 for GT4 (1080i) but when its not running HD it looks worse, the whole screen moves in a wavy motion, which my S-video cable didnt do. Oh yea both cables are Sony brand. I think thats just my stuff though but still pretty weird and annoying.
GT4 has a bug that the screen shakes in 480i mode, it has nothing to do with the cables.
post #17 of 29 Old 03-11-2005, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

All my PS2 games do it now, not just GT4

post #18 of 29 Old 03-11-2005, 02:36 PM

After hooking up my ps2 via composite to my projector, I promptly disconnected it and bought the component cables. They make a world of difference.
post #19 of 29 Old 03-11-2005, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunkist
All my PS2 games do it now, not just GT4
Could it be some sort of electrical interference? Try moving the cables away from the power cables to eliminate this possibility.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #20 of 29 Old 03-11-2005, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shkuey
After hooking up my ps2 via composite to my projector, I promptly disconnected it and bought the component cables. They make a world of difference.

Sounds like cheap cables, nothing to do with it being component or not.
post #21 of 29 Old 03-12-2005, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Vome if you have a Toys R Us in your area give them a call. The one near me had a 90% off sale on "green labeled items" in the gaming section. I picked up Pro Component AV cables and the game Primal for $4! I'm not sure if all the chains are doing it but it's worth a look.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #22 of 29 Old 03-12-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blkout
I didnt even really explain what prompted me to switch, how does it sound like cheap cables?

I originally used the composite cable that shipped with my ps2, and when connected to my old 27" tube it was fine. When I hooked it up to my projector and displayed it at 8', it looked like ass. Very fuzzy and blotchy, completely unusable really. I bought the component cables and it cleared up nicely, though not as nice as the other systems via component, it is 100% better than it was.
post #23 of 29 Old 03-12-2005, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I didnt even really explain what prompted me to switch, how does it sound like cheap cables?

I originally used the composite cable that shipped with my ps2, and when connected to my old 27" tube it was fine. When I hooked it up to my projector and displayed it at 8', it looked like ass. Very fuzzy and blotchy, completely unusable really. I bought the component cables and it cleared up nicely, though not as nice as the other systems via component, it is 100% better than it was.

Fuzzy and blotchy was not what you said before, you said the screen was shaking and I said that was a bug in GT4, then you said it does with all games until you switched to a component cable. I can't keep explaining what's happening if you keep changing your mind about what was going on.

The shaking in GT4 is a bug in 480i mode, makes no difference what cable you use except that with component you can choose 480p or 1080i mode which will fix the problem.

As for fuzzy and blotchy, that is more likely related to the composite cable since it will give you the worst picture, an S-video cable would be a HUGE improvement in that area, component would be a minor improvement over S-video. Ultimately, component is that best, but if you're still using 480i mode, the difference between an S-video cable and component cable is very minimal.
post #24 of 29 Old 03-12-2005, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Fuzzy and blotchy was not what you said before, you said the screen was shaking and I said that was a bug in GT4, then you said it does with all games until you switched to a component cable. I can't keep explaining what's happening if you keep changing your mind about what was going on.
Well that would be the source of the confusion then. Sunkist has the wavy picture, all I said was that the component cables made a world of difference over the composite cable.
post #25 of 29 Old 03-13-2005, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Well that would be the source of the confusion then. Sunkist has the wavy picture, all I said was that the component cables made a world of difference over the composite cable.

Ahh, my mistake, you're right. But what I said still holds true for both of you.
post #26 of 29 Old 03-13-2005, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oktoberrust11
Could it be some sort of electrical interference? Try moving the cables away from the power cables to eliminate this possibility.
Thats all I figure it is but it follows the same path as the s-video did. I am gonna try moving it around anyway whenever I can get back behind there again, lots of various cables back there though.

post #27 of 29 Old 03-15-2005, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Ummm....Not by a long shot.

I tested all three (composite, S-Video, and Component). I am proud to say that the Component give the sharpest, clearest, and best color production. And I bought the PS2 Component cable for only $9.99 @ BestBuy.

I connected it from my PS2 to HT Receiver to 24feet away Projector. The graphic/video look great. I tried the same setup and used Monster brand cables (the damn thing overprice). After comparing the pictures quality, I had to returne the overprice-Monster cables because I obtained the same picture quality, in playing game and view DVD, using a regular $9.99 PS2 component cable, and two 12feet regular 3RCA A/V cable ($12.99). That saved my hundreds of dollars. I have been using this setup for about 3.5 years now without any problems or degrade in the cables.

For all those who believe the higher the price the better the quality (especially in video/audio cables), it is still your choice. Certainly, you can show off your expensive cables to your friends/family member. That was what I thought too at first.
post #28 of 29 Old 03-15-2005, 11:46 AM

There are definitely arguments to be made both ways regarding cables, but this isn't all that fair of a comparison. PS2 isn't exactly putting out anything of a high enough quality to need a higher priced cable in comparison to a cheapo one to begin with.

YMMV in all cables, but for my experience while speaker cables aren't going to make a difference(outside of gauge), many of the more sophisticated connections can have a noticeable difference on higher quality cables. In fact, if you are talking about long runs, they pretty much become necessary. With Monster, you are definitely throwing some cash away for names sake, but there are many higher quality cables out there that do make a difference from their cheapo counterparts.
post #29 of 29 Old 03-15-2005, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by av999
Ummm....Not by a long shot.

I tested all three (composite, S-Video, and Component). I am proud to say that the Component give the sharpest, clearest, and best color production. And I bought the PS2 Component cable for only $9.99 @ BestBuy.

I connected it from my PS2 to HT Receiver to 24feet away Projector. The graphic/video look great. I tried the same setup and used Monster brand cables (the damn thing overprice). After comparing the pictures quality, I had to returne the overprice-Monster cables because I obtained the same picture quality, in playing game and view DVD, using a regular $9.99 PS2 component cable, and two 12feet regular 3RCA A/V cable ($12.99). That saved my hundreds of dollars. I have been using this setup for about 3.5 years now without any problems or degrade in the cables.

For all those who believe the higher the price the better the quality (especially in video/audio cables), it is still your choice. Certainly, you can show off your expensive cables to your friends/family member. That was what I thought too at first.
Cheaply built doesn't always equate to price. You missed the point entirely.
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page