Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp
The latest info that I have direct from a GS manager is that if you pre-order a PS3 or Wii game then they will put you on the call list for when the console pre-orders start .

---- Jason
Ive been saying that for a while now :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 08:34 AM

Chances are EB/GS employees will allocate Pre-orders to themselves (or friends) before common folks get a chance.
post #183 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by miser888
Chances are EB/GS employees will allocate Pre-orders to themselves (or friends) before common folks get a chance.
Not if they value their jobs.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #184 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Lee
Ive been saying that for a while now :(
To follow up on Jann's insistence and my refuting his statements based on both of out insider information. With all the buzz going on now I called more than a few resources and found the following to be the new corporate stance on preorders.

If a store is being alotted 8 or less units at launch then they will not be taking any preorders. If a store is going to get more than 10 units at launch then it is up to the store manager on wether or not to take pre-orders.

Early indications are 75% of stores will be getting less than 8 units. So the majority of stores will not be taking any preorders. Hope this helps since most people are calling and being told their store will not take pre-orders.

So while Jann's predictions are coming to fruition (stores taking preorders may do so starting next week) the truth is that most of the stores will not be at all.
post #185 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miser888
Post many times that company policy will not allow them to get one for themselves....they can be fired for it.

Not saying it dont happen at certain stores but it should not happen that much.
post #186 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080P Input
To follow up on Jann's insistence and my refuting his statements based on both of out insider information. With all the buzz going on now I called more than a few resources and found the following to be the new corporate stance on preorders.

If a store is being alotted 8 or less units at launch then they will not be taking any preorders. If a store is going to get more than 10 units at launch then it is up to the store manager on wether or not to take pre-orders.

Early indications are 75% of stores will be getting less than 8 units. So the majority of stores will not be taking any preorders. Hope this helps since most people are calling and being told their store will not take pre-orders.

So while Jann's predictions are coming to fruition (stores taking preorders may do so starting next week) the truth is that most of the stores will not be at all.
Well I did say in my first post that it would be up to the managers or corprate as to what stores will/will not do pre-orders.

I strongly believe that EB/GS stores in mall's will be doing pre-orders no matter how many units they get.
post #187 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlyn
Post many times that company policy will not allow them to get one for themselves....they can be fired for it.

Not saying it dont happen at certain stores but it should not happen that much.

honestly who can really uphold that?? I know my local gamestop in the stripmall is managed by highschool dropouts. They all make crappy money, whos gonna stop them from buying it all in cash and resale later on??
post #188 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I called like 3 of my local GS/EB's and they all said is they have no info. I told a couple of them that I heard the 9th or 10th and 1 of the guys said "anyone who tells you the 9th or 10th or the 16th or any date is wrong". Another one said probably late October the preorders will start.

So do I need to skip class on Monday/Tuesday, or do you guys think I can just go afterwards and be able to get on the list? I would probably get there at around 3:45.

I also asked if they will only have the number of preorder slots available for the number of units they are getting and all the stores I called said yes. Did all the other stores say this too? If that is the case, then wouldn't they have to be informed of how many units they are getting before they can start the preordering?

How can they actually tell the exact # of PS3's they are getting?

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
post #189 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 04:01 PM

well, i called a few gamestops. One said the first X amount of people on the dusty calling list that they've had for probably a year are the only ones that are going to know when preorders are, and they are only gonna call enough people for the amount of systems they are getting. I think that is only that store managers decision. I preordered resistance at a different one, and the manager said that they hope to start next week. im banking on tuesday. he said i dont get any extra info for preordering a game though.
post #190 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Well I was just passing on what I knew. If I was in your position I wouldnt believe me either. Im just telling you I think next week is when pre-orders will start. If im off by a couple of days then that should not matter. I am still confident in the 9th or 10th date though.
But do you think it will vary by region?
post #191 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Not only do they have no info on when the pre-orders will start (if at all) but they do not know how many units they will be getting (this information is simply not known yet) .

Sorry Jann if I repeated what you had already stated (at least we know it is confirmed) . I did not read the entire thread but figured I would put in some official information ;) .

------- Jason
post #192 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not only do they have no info on when the pre-orders will start (if at all) but they do not know how many units they will be getting (this information is simply not known yet) .

Sorry Jann if I repeated what you had already stated (at least we know it is confirmed) . I did not read the entire thread but figured I would put in some official information ;) .

------- Jason
No problem man....I just said that so people can see that Im not the only one who is hearing what im hearing. :D

Rob It could DEFINITLY vary by region...maybe I should have made clear that this is for US only.
post #193 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

More EB/GS News..

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...6/10/4/5503/p1

EBGamestop's big yearly show is over, and boy were managers left in a tizzy afterward. I've had the chance to talk to a few managers I trust on condition of anonymity, and their words don't inspire confidence about the system launches coming up.

"I asked the regional manager about PS3 preorders," one told me "and he paused and then said he can't answer the question. He said there is a plan, but they can't talk about it; we should know in a week to two weeks." He started to sound tired. "Sony just didn't seem like they had a plan with the show. No plan at all. Barely a mention of the PS3, and almost nothing playable. On the other hand, I waited two hours for Gears of War. There is a feeling that Nintendo and Microsoft really set out to wow us, and Sony didn't have much to show. There was a PS3 under glass you could look at, and that's about it."

The difference between HD DVD and Blu-Ray was striking as well. "Blu-ray had a tiny presence in the very back of the show floor, while Microsoft had large displays and surround sound systems in their hospitality suite so you can take a look at what their HD DVD drives would look like. It was impressive, and gave the feeling that HD DVD was real and Blu-ray wasn't ready for the show."

I asked him his feelings going into the PS3 launch with no word on allocations or preorders, and no news on what will happen towards the holidays. "It's going to be ugly, there is no way this launch is going to go well."

And it continues...
post #194 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
More EB/GS News..

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...6/10/4/5503/p1

EBGamestop's big yearly show is over, and boy were managers left in a tizzy afterward. I've had the chance to talk to a few managers I trust on condition of anonymity, and their words don't inspire confidence about the system launches coming up.

"I asked the regional manager about PS3 preorders," one told me "and he paused and then said he can't answer the question. He said there is a plan, but they can't talk about it; we should know in a week to two weeks." He started to sound tired. "Sony just didn't seem like they had a plan with the show. No plan at all. Barely a mention of the PS3, and almost nothing playable. On the other hand, I waited two hours for Gears of War. There is a feeling that Nintendo and Microsoft really set out to wow us, and Sony didn't have much to show. There was a PS3 under glass you could look at, and that's about it."

The difference between HD DVD and Blu-Ray was striking as well. "Blu-ray had a tiny presence in the very back of the show floor, while Microsoft had large displays and surround sound systems in their hospitality suite so you can take a look at what their HD DVD drives would look like. It was impressive, and gave the feeling that HD DVD was real and Blu-ray wasn't ready for the show."

I asked him his feelings going into the PS3 launch with no word on allocations or preorders, and no news on what will happen towards the holidays. "It's going to be ugly, there is no way this launch is going to go well."

And it continues...

Ya I saw that last night along with some other article mostly negative as well from the same place. They say there was almost nothing playable but I have heard from alot of places that the managers got a play quite a bit and I'd say 80% were very impressed with what they saw......but whatever heh
post #195 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

------- Jason
Jason, I was lookinh at some pics of your HT setup. I noticed in your PJ room, you have acoustic side panels. What is the purpose of them and where did you get them?

post #196 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Rob It could DEFINITLY vary by region...maybe I should have made clear that this is for US only.
Jann, I probably used a poor word when I said "region". I assumed all along that your statements applied to the US in general. I meant whether it could vary state by state.
post #197 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin
Jann, I probably used a poor word when I said "region". I assumed all along that your statements applied to the US in general. I meant whether it could vary state by state.
ooops sorry. :D

I highly doubt it will vary state by state. But who knows what those crazy EB/GS guys are thinking of. The Xbox 360 situation really messed up the PS3/Wii reserve situation.
post #198 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
ooops sorry. :D

I highly doubt it will vary state by state. But who knows what those crazy EB/GS guys are thinking of. The Xbox 360 situation really messed up the PS3/Wii reserve situation.

Ya M$ giving them false numbers and then not delivering on it really got them spooked big time. Each store should just take 10 preorders no matter how many units and just tell everyone at the time of order they are not guarenteed to get at launch but that low of a number would all but guarentee by X-Mas.....once all the preorders are filled roll over to first come first serve.
post #199 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

it could vary from store to store if left up to each stores manager.

eb should have a corporate policy for the whole chain.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #200 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko1290
Jason, I was lookinh at some pics of your HT setup. I noticed in your PJ room, you have acoustic side panels. What is the purpose of them and where did you get them?
he can answer the models he uses.

but the easy answer is they are used to "tune" the room.

your rooms acoutic properties are usually over looked when setting up for your sound system. with the panels or other acoutic treament you can eliminate or highlight where needed (if you know what your doing). control/level the peaks and valleys.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #201 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1
he can answer the models he uses.

but the easy answer is they are used to "tune" the room.

your rooms acoutic properties are usually over looked when setting up for your sound system. with the panels or other acoutic treament you can eliminate or highlight where needed (if you know what your doing). control/level the peaks and valleys.
What can you use to absorb sound so it wont travel to the next room (i.e. sound proof the room)? That's what I thought the acoustic panels were for.

post #202 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I called like 3 of my local GS/EB's and they all said is they have no info. I told a couple of them that I heard the 9th or 10th and 1 of the guys said "anyone who tells you the 9th or 10th or the 16th or any date is wrong". Another one said probably late October the preorders will start.

So do I need to skip class on Monday/Tuesday, or do you guys think I can just go afterwards and be able to get on the list? I would probably get there at around 3:45.

I also asked if they will only have the number of preorder slots available for the number of units they are getting and all the stores I called said yes. Did all the other stores say this too? If that is the case, then wouldn't they have to be informed of how many units they are getting before they can start the preordering?

How can they actually tell the exact # of PS3's they are getting?

post #203 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko1290
Honestly, I think there's one thing you can be sure of. If a store starts pre-orders, it will be over within an hour. Probably far less time in many areas.
post #204 of 2013 Old 10-05-2006, 09:58 PM

Jann you still going to speak with your brother I think it was on Friday? I remember you stating the next time you could talk to him would be friday.
post #205 of 2013 Old 10-06-2006, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Just my opinion, but they could take as many preorders as they want as long as they made it absolutely clear that they might only have 5 on launch and they would trickle in after that. There mistake was gauranteing people a 360 at launch. Someone screwed up, either MS or EB/GS, and because of that Sony gets scrutinized by some for not having enough consoles. Well its not easy releasing a game console below cost with new technologys like blu-ray and Cell in it.... If I can't get a PS3 at launch, I will patiently wait for one.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #206 of 2013 Old 10-06-2006, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I just called my local EB Games to see if they had any info about pre-orders. The clerk told me that they didn't have anything yet, but that I should keep checking back. I've heard that before, but I did ask him a direct question. I asked if they were going to do pre-orders at all. He said they absolutely were going to do pre-orders but didn't have any idea when. I asked him if I would be called to be given a heads up if I had pre-ordered a PS3 game and he said "no...it'll be first come first served for pre-orders." Pre-ordering games will not get you called any sooner at this EB Games.

GT: irunnoft
post #207 of 2013 Old 10-06-2006, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft
I just called my local EB Games to see if they had any info about pre-orders. The clerk told me that they didn't have anything yet, but that I should keep checking back. I've heard that before, but I did ask him a direct question. I asked if they were going to do pre-orders at all. He said they absolutely were going to do pre-orders but didn't have any idea when. I asked him if I would be called to be given a heads up if I had pre-ordered a PS3 and he said "no...it'll be first come first served for pre-orders."
Summary: Clerk didn't know. Will they do pre-orders? He just said he doesn't know, but he'll take a guess since you asked again.

I'm not sure what your last sentence meant. I think you might have left a word out.
post #208 of 2013 Old 10-06-2006, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank
Summary: Clerk didn't know. Will they do pre-orders? He just said he doesn't know, but he'll take a guess since you asked again.

I'm not sure what your last sentence meant. I think you might have left a word out.

Actually, the person I spoke said he was POSITIVE (his words) that they were going to do pre-orders at his store. He said he didn't know when, though. After I asked him directly if they were going to do pre-orders, he told me he was positive that they were. That's when he further offered the information that they were just waiting to find out their allotment of the PS3 booty before opening the door for pre-orders. The local Gamestop also said they were POSITIVE that they were also going to do pre-orders. That's some encouraging news for me! :)

PS. Thanks for the correction. . . I did leave out a word. I went back up and edited it. ;)

GT: irunnoft
post #209 of 2013 Old 10-06-2006, 11:52 AM

Its funny - I just called 5 gamestop stores here in the Marlboro Massachusetts area and all of them said the same thing - they didn't know if they would be taking pre-orders but they didn't think it looked like they would be able to.
post #210 of 2013 Old 10-06-2006, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlyn
Jann you still going to speak with your brother I think it was on Friday? I remember you stating the next time you could talk to him would be friday.
My brother is still saying call on monday or tuesday. I guess we will see.
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page