Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2006, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EDIT: Video added:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXefPf4m8Vo

Ok, I received my Japanese 60GB PS3 today and I am having an issue.

I've got the PS3 connected (via HDMI) to a Panasonic 42" plasma, model number TH-42PX500 (Japanese TV).
The PS3 is set to output to 720p, which my TV can handle.

Everything is fine until I launch a PS3 game. Once I do that, after the "Playstation 3" logo appears, the screen goes black. The game is loading fine, I just cant see it.

The only way I can regain control of my TV at this point is to tune into the regular TV channels using my TV remote. Only then I can use the input selection button to get back to HDMI. Once I do this, all is well.

My guess is that the PS3 is sending some kind of signal through the HDMI cable that is making the TV unhappy.

Any ideas?
Just for fun, I tried 1080i and seems the PS3 treats it the same as 420i. It looked terrible.

Methinks we are going to see a lot of PS3 updates in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2006, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think theres a menu setting for game resolution and a setting for menu resolution. Look around for Game Output settings I think. I wish I could help more but I wont have a ps3 till friday lol.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. There doesn't seem to be seperate settings for game and menu output.

Besides, it seems the settings are correct as the image looks fine once I am able to regain control of my TV and set it back to HDMI.

By the way, you can check out the menu settings online. I can't post the link because I don't have 5 posts yet
Old 11-12-2006, 06:48 AM

Welcome cheapyd.

I can only recommend trying a 2nd HDMI port if your plasma has one. If it still has issues, use a different HDMI cord perhaps. And if all else fails, get the component cables for a PS2 and try those.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for suggestion. You know what's weird. When I played a PS1 game, it worked fine. I don't currently have any Japanese DVDs (or Bluray movies) otherwise I'd test them out.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:01 AM

Well, considering you have an xbox 360 that runs fine, i'm assuming that your TV doesn't have any trouble receiving an HD signal.

Because of that, my guess would be that either your system is having trouble outputting the signal, or your TV's HDMI port is defective.

If you can, try your PS3 on another TV with HDMI. That'll narrow it down for you.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:06 AM

Also the PS3 required firmware updates right out of the box to play a couple games (Madden and RFOM off the top of my head) you might want to check that out as well.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:12 AM

Yes, def. check out the firmware upgrades.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Perhaps the HDMI output is not turned on right out of the box. Check to see if there is an option to turn it on in the menus. This was the case on my Toshiba HD-DVD, I connected the rca video cable and went to the menu to turn on the HDMI output and then, I got picture through the HDMI.

Good luck,

Ian B
Old 11-12-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Definitely try it out on another TV to see if it's the PS3 or the TV.

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu Ray Tier thread today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
Old 11-12-2006, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

Perhaps the HDMI output is not turned on right out of the box. Check to see if there is an option to turn it on in the menus. This was the case on my Toshiba HD-DVD, I connected the rca video cable and went to the menu to turn on the HDMI output and then, I got picture through the HDMI.

Good luck,

Ian B

The recipe to a successful HDCP handshake:

1) Make sure the source device is set to ouput via HDMI.
2) Turn the source device off.
3) Turn on the display and ensure the HDMI input is set correctly.
4) Turn the source device back on.

Problem solved.

In rare cases, you might have to do a first hook-up using composite or component cables to set the source device to ouput via HDMI.

In most cases, you are fine if you turn on and configure your display HDMI input before your turn on the source device.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

I am able to correctly display the ps3 menus through the HDMI input, but the TV freezes up and displays a blank picture once I launch a game. From there, i can't access most of the TV remote functions, but if i change to the normal TV channels then I can select the HDMI input and everything looks fine.

Very strange.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
CHEAPYD! Our Man In Japan. You jokers know Cheapy's a big celebrity right? www.cheapassgamer.com.....Bloomberg TV.....his website is the only reason I can afford to buy all this HT junk by getting me my games on the cheap

Anyhow....this ALMOST sounds tome like an HDMI handshake issue. Like once the game starts loading, the HDMI loses sync and breaks the connection, hence you don't see anything. But then the whole TV locking up thing....thats definately a page from bizarro world. IMHO? We're seeing our first glimpses of HDMI 1.3 incompatibilities.

But I also think we're going to be seeing an awul lot of issues like this in the weeks to come. HDMI is quirky as hell to begin with. Now with Sony pushing HDMI 1.3, god only knows the number of incompatibilities that we're going to see start cropping up.

While this may not sound like an ideal solution...until we see some firmware patches....Go Component. 98% of the video quality.

PS: Cheapy whats the native rez of that set....its a 1366x768 set or....???

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Old 11-12-2006, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, but the reason I want to use HDMI is for upscaling regular DVDs. The PS3 is going to be my primary DVD player too.

Sorry, I don't know the native rez of the TV, I believe it's US equivalent is the TH-42PX500U.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Uhhhhhhhhhhh...unless its a japan-only feature, the PS3 doesn't upscale DVD's......(Unless they snuck that in at the last minute!). Its one of those big features that was missing from the unit that made people scratch their heads.

Unless thats addressed in the update you download the first time you sign on the PS3 online....

Does your TV do a lousy job upscaling to its native rez then?

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Old 11-13-2006, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

It's my only DVD player with an HDMI connection. I was under the impression that the TV won't do any upscaling without an HDMI conneciton.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapyD View Post

It's my only DVD player with an HDMI connection. I was under the impression that the TV won't do any upscaling without an HDMI conneciton.

HDTV internal upscale is a tricky thing. I am familiar with Sony and Samsung's tools and they can upscale on any cable type. Only a dedicated player such as an upscale DVD unit must use HDMI. Some TV's will only give you the upscale option when you set the source to 480i as well. 480p can shut these tools down.

The PS3 it's self will not upscale your DVDs though. Try running a 480i source and see if your TV gives the upscale option to you. I'm not sure you can push 480i over HDMI though. On my 1080p DLP, 480i over HDMI results in signal loss.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, I guess we can always hope for a firmware upgrade for DVD upscaling on the PS3.
Someone suggested I try upgrading the firmware of the TV to try and fix my HDMI handshake issue, but I think I will hold off on that to see if Sony updates their firmware soon.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:44 AM

Aren't Japanese games PAL, not NTSC? Oh, but i see now that you are in Tokyo so nevermind.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Japan uses NTSC.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

All fixed-pixel devices (Plasma, LCD, Lycos, SXRD, etc) upscale what you are watching, because they can't display anything else. If your plasma is 720p then its been upscaling every source that goes into it to 720p. Your cable, your DVD Player through component, your SNES via Composite...its all being converted to 720p because thats all the display can output.

An upscaling DVD player will simply do the conversion at the source rather than sending a 480p signal to your 720p display and letting the display turn it into 720p.

The arguement is that its better to convert at the source than at the destination, but this rule doesn't always apply.

Cheapy, suggest you take a trip to the local Super-Electronics-Hyper-Mart in your neighborhood and buy a standard upscaling DVD player with HDMI out, just to try and see if the image is better than what you're going to get with the TV alone doing the upscaling.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice...
Just for fun, I made a little youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXefPf4m8Vo
Old 11-14-2006, 02:42 AM

By the lock up of your TV, it seems more like your tv's problem. I was playing ps3 in a showroom yesterday with a panny projector through HDMI, and I don't see any problem. The sales told me he had already upgrade ps3's firmware.

Just a question, when you play your ps2 with component, is it full screen on your plasma or not with side bars?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, full screen with component.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:28 AM

CheapyD

Ive learned that there is a auto HDMI setup built into the PS3. They say to do the following:

Turn on TV and set input to HDMI port being used
Make sure PS3 is connected via HDMI
Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds. It should automagically configure your PS3 to the TV's native res for all settings. Give it a try.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

blitz6speed, I don't use the word "hero" very often, but you are the greatest hero in American history. Thank you!!!!

Success!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:

blitz6speed, I don't use the word "hero" very often, but you are the greatest hero in American history. Thank you!!!!

Success!

Enjoy your ps3 baby! Im looking forward to mine as well!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...time for an update.

The video stuff is now working fine, but I have an audio issue.
I need to run a digital optical cable to my receiver (logitech z-5500).

So, I change my audio settings on the PS3 to use the optical out (instead of the HDMI audio), and guess what? It negates the HDMI auto-setup that I ran!

I've tried running the digital optical cable from my TV to the receiver (and using HDMI audio), but I can't get anything higher than Dolby Pro Logic II.

Nothing is ever easy.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony Rules, they're really thought of everything.

...can you re-set the HDMI output again like you did before to get it to recognize both now that you have the Optical Output set to the TOSLINK connector?? Maybe the setup is smarter than we think it is.

Running the optical cable from the TV to the receiver, the TV is probably converting the HDMI audio to 2 channel stereo....which is then output to your receiver, which is why you're only seeing Dolby prologic II (its designed to be used with Stereo L/R sources).

Dont give up the 5.1 surround, thats for sure......

Nows about the time to start bitching about how every universal remote ever made so far (including $10,000+ home automation systems) are now rendered useless since the PS3 has no legacy IR port, its bluetooth only......bastards...

Old 11-15-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok...time for an update.

The video stuff is now working fine, but I have an audio issue.
I need to run a digital optical cable to my receiver (logitech z-5500).

So, I change my audio settings on the PS3 to use the optical out (instead of the HDMI audio), and guess what? It negates the HDMI auto-setup that I ran!

I've tried running the digital optical cable from my TV to the receiver (and using HDMI audio), but I can't get anything higher than Dolby Pro Logic II.

Nothing is ever easy.

Let us know if re-running the auto set-up with Audio Output set to Optical Digital gets both proper HDMI video output and proper Optical Digital output to your receiver.

I must this is a big worry at this point for early adopters.

Knowing Sony, they might assume people will go HDMI end to end. I hope it's not the case or they can take it back.