PS3 Owners First Impressions Thread! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Please post all of your... "I got one!" posts and first impressions here.

Thanks,

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Haven't done anything much yet, I'm updating to 1.10 right now. I did try formating the harddrive to set aside 10mb for linux. It's very quick, just took a few seconds.

Pros: Looks really nice!
I love the squishy R2/L2 buttons

Cons: Included USB cable is way too short
post #3 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What games did you get Slacker George?
post #4 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 09:58 AM

It's heavy. Not a gripe since it's not like I will be carrying the thing around. But I was a bit surprised by the weight when I first picked it up.

Xbox Live: CaptCaveman
PSN: Captcaveman
Wii: some long number that I will never remember. Thanks Nintendo!
post #5 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 10:32 AM

LOL...same here. In fact I had to fasten a seat belt around it because it was heavy enough to trigger the seat belt sensor in my passenger seat and set off that damn chiming!
post #6 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

What games did you get Slacker George?

Resistance and RR7. I haven't tried anything yet, still messing around.
post #7 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 10:44 AM

Nice choices. Well enjoy your gear and games
post #8 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I love it. I got the 60gb with Madden 07, NBA 2k7, Resistance, and Xmen3 bluray.

I am having difficulty playing NBA 2k7 in 1080p. It starts out 1080p, then switches. I have a 1080p TV too. I have it set that way in the settings. Anyone know how to fix or if this is the way it is?

PSN - nnarum
post #9 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up PS3 after camping best buy since Tuesday at 5pm. I am totally and completely exhausted....but I have to say also relieved that I was successful. Good luck to all the AVS forum members in locating a PS3.

Initial impression of the system was that asthetically it is very sleek looking, and will not look out of place even in a high end home theater setup.....although some may disagree.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
post #10 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 01:13 PM

Got my PS3 up and running. I'm posting this from it's web browser. I got Genji and RfoM and they both look excellent. It recognized my 300 GB usb hard drive no problem, it list the album folders but shows them as empty. doesn't see the MP4 movies at all. I probably need to reorginize them, psp only goes 2 folders deep.

It also has some very warm air coming out the back and right side, no heat problems yet but I wouldn't feel safe enclosing this at all.
Back to testing stuff Gratz to all who got, good luck for those still looking.
post #11 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 02:10 PM

I haven't even turned mine on yet, but I learned one HILARIOUS little peculiarity right off the bat. When I plugged the USB cable into the PS3 controller and connected it to my laptop(to charge it), Windows immediately recognized it as a PS3 controller and installed drivers automatically. Ready to use. Contrast that with my Xbox 360 controller, which Windows won't install drivers for or recognize as a game controller. Way to go MS. Funny funny funny
post #12 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Digging it so far. I like the menus and look and feel of navigating. Oh, and this sucker is nearly silent, even when playing a game!!!!

Bring on the games!

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

I am extremely pleased. I had to tinker around with it to use HDMI at first but got it going. Im really digging the Blu-Ray quality. The finish is sexy but it is easily scuffed, I scuffed mine alittle with a toilet tissue trying to get my finger prints off. The graphics are about the same as the 360s but I was expecting this with the first wave of games. My only gripe is that I cant locate a remote controll for movie playback, Are these even out yet?
post #14 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

Nice choices. Well enjoy your gear and games

Thanks. Outside of an audio problem with RR7 (posted in the other sticky) everything's excellent.

I had some kind of ground loop or something with the component connection. There were faint rolling bars going slowly up the screen. They only appeared in 1080i mode. HDMI to my TV's DVI input has been working without a hitch for me so far.

It took me a minute to get the hang of the text entry thing. I highly recommend having a USB keyboard handy for all the sign up stuff.

Tried out a couple of blu-ray movies: Talladega Nights and Sleepy Hollow. Not the best discs for picture quality but they both looked and sounded great. Navigation works very quickly and smoothly.

And I've played a tiny bit of Ridge Racer 7. I don't see any need to install it to HD, the loading times aren't bad at all. It looks very sharp and is silky smooth but certainly won't blow you away or anything.
post #15 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidme View Post

My only gripe is that I cant locate a remote controll for movie playback, Are these even out yet?

I meant to ask about one of those and pick up the memory card adaptor, but I was in such a hurry to get home I forgot to ask. Seems like I recall reading the remote wouldn't be out until december.
post #16 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 03:37 PM

Man, getting this thing connected to my wireless network was giving me a headache. I had to enter the MAC address for the PS3 into my router's filter settings. Didn't have to do that with my 360. THe update is downloading right now. Going pretty slow. I hope this file is big, otherwise the PS3 network is slowwww
post #17 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 03:45 PM

sweet.. Yeah the loading times didn't sound bad even without the install to the HDD. thx
post #18 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodface View Post

Man, getting this thing connected to my wireless network was giving me a headache. I had to enter the MAC address for the PS3 into my router's filter settings. Didn't have to do that with my 360. THe update is downloading right now. Going pretty slow. I hope this file is big, otherwise the PS3 network is slowwww

98.2 megs
post #19 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 05:10 PM

Go To The Playstation Store And Download The Motorstorm Demo....HOLY CRAP
post #20 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

"Go To The Playstation Store And Download The Motorstorm Demo....HOLY CRAP"

Damn do I need my High Speed Internet back!
post #21 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, it may not upscale DVDs but they still look fantastic. Maybe it's my imagination but it sure looks like a step up from my previous DVD players.
post #22 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I am REALLY disapointed here...I know launch consoles are pretty week, but the PS3 has been so overhyped that I guess it is some what of a letdown.

GOOD-
-HDMI-nice to have this.
-Looks great-black finish and glossy case FTW
-zero noise when the system is on
-1080p
-WiFi
-Motorstorm demo ROCKS!

BAD-
-"killer app" Resisitance is VERY disapointing, looks like a high def PS2 game. Graphics looked much better in the screen shots. (after playing Gears of War for a week not much looks good) and the 40 person multiplayer turns out to be 40 people running around like chickens with there heads cut off.Lets hope it gets better over time.
-"XMB" the OS sucks compared to the 360. MS is bright easy to navigate and colorfull, the PS3 is plain and clunky. downloading is slow and your stuck on the same screen(come on sony can't you learn from MS???)
-Online-my biggest fears have came true-Sony does not pack in or sell a mic-this turns into 40 player games(Resistance) with zero coperation and other games with NO VOICE SUPPORT AT ALL(Marvel,Ridge Racer, etc....) NO EXCUSE FOR THIS.....
-All launch games in general are week, or bad 360 ports.
-Blu Ray playback at least with Ricky Boby sucks(washed out colors, and no sharpness, no real visual pop) ,now this just could be this title but compared to my Tosh HD-DVD the PS3 looks like my PC dvd player at best
-SIXAXIS-way to light and I really really miss the rumble. I wish sony would have steped up and re-designed the controller, 360's smokes the SIXAXIS
-600$????!!!!!!!!!

-I guess time will tell with this console, right now its a real big disapointment. Lets hope next year will be better with a revised online plan, and games like MSG4, Motorstorm, and Final Fantasy.
post #23 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thing is a dust magnet.

I'd echo most of the comments above.

Ricky Bobby Blu Ray is not very impressive visually. I mean it looks HD, but nothing great. Haven't tried any more. MI3 & Xmen should be here tomorrow.

Resistance is fun. Perhaps not the best graphics, but it's nice, smooth, and quick paced. I'm enjoying it. Haven't hopped online yet.

Motorstorm looks ok. It's obviously good but not nearly the teaser clip they showed. Still, I'll give it a try. The motion steering is fairly interesting. I've been trying to get that down. Sometimes the sensors just seem off a little. Game seems like it could lack variety overall but we'll see.

Downloading F1 now. Will get NBA overnight. I wish they had read just one of the million messages begging MS for background downloading. I guess we'll get it in the future, but it sucks right now.
post #24 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mr Stroke:

My ps3 is sitting on my table unopened. I have one question for you...knowing what you know now, would you buy it again?
post #25 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby View Post

Mr Stroke:

My ps3 is sitting on my table unopened. I have one question for you...knowing what you know now, would you buy it again?

In all honesty, there's not much reason to keep it now. I did, but I'm a geek and love toys like this. I don't like to wait if I can avoid it and splurge from time to time. If you can get rid of it and buy one in the Spring, you really aren't going to be missing out on much.

It's a cool toy, and probably something you'll want for sure later, but there's so many reasons why keeping it now might not be the best decision.

Still, if you don't need the money, like games and new tech toys, why not?
post #26 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for your replay rdank. I certainly do like games and new toys so I'm sure I'll open it up tomorrow when I have more time.
post #27 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby View Post

Mr Stroke:

yes and no-
I never thought I would say this, BUT I wish I would have gottin a Wii
but ONLY for Zelda, and waited for the PS3.....right now the PS3 is pretty lame, BUT I think when the right games start to roll out it will be a great system...as of right now the 360 is so much better than the PS3, that it makes playing the PS3 hard to do.
post #28 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks mr stroke....now I'm on the edge again! But I really appreciate the feedback.
post #29 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Vegas... if you haven't opened it by now, you probably don't want it that bad.

Personally I like the XMB (Sony's dashboard) and the sixaxis, and am enjoying Resistance a lot. For me I really miss the rumble, and downloading on Sony is really really slow at the moment.

But the 360 is a great system, and if it's either/or, the 360 wins hands down for 2006 because of the vast gaming library. The PS3 is a newborn that I can tell will be a superhero someday, and it will be fun to watch it grow up. If you want to skip the awkward baby stage, there's nothing wrong with that.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 505 Old 11-17-2006, 09:55 PM

Liked: 832
Anybody get linix on this bad boy yet? Saw a few other did on other sites, but no-one has tried anything along the lines as video players or emulators
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page