PS3 problems and setup issues thread! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2925 Old 01-08-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PS3 connected to my Samsung LCD TV using an HDMI cable.

I also have a Toshiba HD-A2 player connected via HDMI to the same TV.

I also have my cable box DVR connected via Component cable to the same TV.

Settings on my Samsung LCD TV are: Contrast set to 90 and Brightness set to 50. Everything looked great, deep blacks, perfect contrast, etc. on all sources.

However, when I turn on my PS3, all of a sudden the image is washed out. I have to lower the brightness on my Samsung LCD TV down to 30.

For example:

Here's what it would look like on my PS3 via HDMI (to my Samsung LCD TV):

And here's how it should look:

Why is this happening? I don't have a component cable, or I would try connecting my PS3 that way.

Can anyone help me? Any thoughts from PS3 owners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2925 Old 01-08-2007, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Rieper, did you go into display settings and or BD settings and try the HDMI auto option or other options? Is the problem just on BD movies or games too? It seems you are saying it is washed out even on the XMB.
post #363 of 2925 Old 01-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

I am having some major problems. Please help if possible!!!

I have a Sony Grand Wega XBR2 60" television and a Sony STR-DE985 receiver. I am running HDMI to my tv for video and I am running Optical audio cable to my reciever.

Video on PS3 is set to HDMI. Audio is set to Optical, Bitstream, 5.1 and DD. I have fully updated the firmware and have even reformatted my ps3.

Here are my issues.

-Played Underworld Evolution and I experience audio cut outs in certain repeatable points of the movie.

-Whenever i insert a BD in to the ps3 while it is in standbye it boots up and goes to a grey screen and never starts the movie. My ps3 is then hard froze. I can only insert a BD while the XMB is loaded.

-I insert Terminator 2 and It has the little icon in the uppper right corner and it never goes away. I hear sound from the movie loading. My PS3 is then hard frozen and I need to use the switch to turn it off. Try a couple more times and finally I get video. I start the movie and this giant message appears on my TV saying it is an unsupported audio format? What the hell is this? Why would my PS3 be sending audio signals to my television via HDMI? Here is the kicker. While I see this message I get no video from the BD but 5.1 audio is coming from my reciever. So far Terminator 2 is completely unplayable on my ps3. I don't know what the deal is. A couple of times I have gotten the movie to start however it will freeze on a frame of the movie and the audio will keep going. I cannot get ride of the frozen frame and must power down the ps3. Driving me nuts. Only happens on the T2 BD

-Ice Age meltdown - perfect playback. No audio or video problems.

-Stargate - perfect playback, no audio or video problems.

Is my T2 BD just fubar? It has no persceptable scratches or blemishes. It is from Blockbuster online however. I just can't get any kind of consistant performance trying to play it.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #364 of 2925 Old 01-09-2007, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Rieper, did you go into display settings and or BD settings and try the HDMI auto option or other options? Is the problem just on BD movies or games too? It seems you are saying it is washed out even on the XMB.

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

The brightness issue I have is upon turning on the PS3 (ie. XMB, Blu-ray, or game). Since no one else is reporting this problem, I'm thinking it has to do with my Samsung LCD TV. I have HDMI set to custom-> 480/720. Turning HDMI to auto just adds 1080i, but offers no help with regards to brightness.

Any ideas?
post #365 of 2925 Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 AM

my setup:
PS3 v1.32
LG 30" HDTV: model 30FS4D
HDMI cables: 1 that came with my Samsung HD-960 dvd player 6ft.
1 that I purchased from monoprice.com 3ft.
both work perfectly fine with my Sammy DVD player
TOSLINK optical cable: 3ft Monster Cable
Pioneer ELITE receiver

*I am trying to connect my PS3 to my tv via HDMI.
*When I try to select the PS3 video setting to HDMI, I get a blank screen.
*When I try to set the audio to output only via HDMI & select "automatic"
I get the following error: 8002B224

!! Many people are getting this same error. NO ONE HAS A SOLUTION !!
I spent about an hour on the phone last night with a SCEA rep trying to resolve this problem. NOTHING WORKED.

Things that I tried that the SCEA rep suggested that didn't work.
*do a hard reset of the PS3
turn off the PS3 via the switch on the back.
turn the PS3 back on.
with the red light on, hold downt the power for 15 seconds. wait for 3 beeps, after the 3rd beep, release the power button. The red light should display. Then turn on the PS3.
*tried both of my HDMI cables.
*plug my tv & PS3 into the wall socket rather than the surge protector
*updated my software from v1.31 to v1.32
*connected the PS3 via the supplied a/v cable to Video input 1 & the HDMI cable.
with Video1 on, set the video output setting to HDMI, switched to HDMI input on tv, then pressed X on PS3 controller. Results = BLANK SCREEN!

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Oh! The suggestion of holding down the power button for 5 seconds so that the PS3 automatically sets the HDMI setting, didn't work either.

thanx,
Paul

Paul
Oakland, CA
HT buff since 1992. = )
post #366 of 2925 Old 01-09-2007, 08:45 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post

Are you using the wi-fi connection? It's possible you keep losing the signal and reconnecting.

I'm getting the same thing! I don't understand it because my 360 never ever losing it's connection.
post #367 of 2925 Old 01-09-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahhhoul View Post

.. I am trying to connect my PS3 to my tv via HDMI.

Paul -
Sounds like there is a synch problem between the two, or a bad PS3. You might want to try a couple of easy things to get them talking.

1) Change Startup Mode
Turn PS3 OFF
Switch TV to HDMI and shut it OFF.
Connect HDMI cable ONLY to PS3
Hold down Power for 5 seconds to turn PS3 on
Power on TV
or
2) Force HDMI Settings
In PS3 settings (using whatever cable works) set:
HDMI video = YCbCr
HDMI Audio = PCM
Switch PS3 to HDMI mode
Switch TV to HDMI input

AmigaDude
post #368 of 2925 Old 01-11-2007, 04:49 AM

Well, everything set up fine w/ HDMI out of the box, but...

...it seems like whenever I use the PS3, at some point, the video will drop. I guess this is an HDCP issue? I have an NEC 42XR4A, and I've never had any drops at all with my cable box via HDMI (Motorola 6412 III) or dvd player (Oppo 971 DVI->HDMI).

Any thoughts? Am I destined for component?

(Also, what's the best way to re-sync and bring the video back? It seems like I always have to manually power the machine down, then turn the power switch in the back off then on, then turn the PS3 on while holding the power button for 5 seconds... is there a better way?)
post #369 of 2925 Old 01-11-2007, 10:01 AM

muttt -

It sounds like you have something else going on besides video dropping. Next time you are in, make sure that the Settings for Video and Audio are set to HDMI and Automatic. Just in case, remove any other cables (video/audio) connected to the PS3 and then see if it blinks out again.

To answer your question on resynching, I'd try switching the TV to another input and back again.

AmigaDude
post #370 of 2925 Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Thanks, Amiga, I'll try that. FWIW, I am running HDMI to the TV and optical to my receiver, but I'll try it without sound for a little while.
post #371 of 2925 Old 01-12-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen View Post

ok, so I know HDMI problems are rampant, but anyone else experience the following? If so, any suggestions?

I get the ps3 to recognize my display (Optoma HD81) in 1080p (have also tried to force to 1080i, same issue).

When I go to play a movie, either BD or DVD, 9/10 times I lose sync on HDMI. This is not a freeze during the movie, that has never happened to me, but I've only been able to watch 3 so far. When a BD or DVD starts to play, the ps3 loses sync and the Optoma always takes a few seconds to get sync. Then I get a black screen and ps3 stops responding. This happens as soon as I tell the thing to start playing the video. I can still eject the disk, and reinsert, but can't see anything. Last dozen attempts have all failed. I have not swapped out the hdmi cable yet (just actually thought of it). Have not tried any games yet, and I'm not going to spend money on them until this problem is fixed.

Any other suggestions, other than returning it?

I have same problem with ps3 and hd81 Co6. Only way I have sorted is to have component cables and get 1080i . I can get it working 1 in 100 tries with the hdmi. If you do find a solution please let me know and I will do likewise.
post #372 of 2925 Old 01-12-2007, 11:57 PM

I got my PS3 hooked up to my KVHS510 Sony CRT through component, but my TV has a DVI port can someone please point me to the exact adapter I need to hook up PS3 to HDMI.
post #373 of 2925 Old 01-13-2007, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucius View Post

I got my PS3 hooked up to my KVHS510 Sony CRT through component, but my TV has a DVI port can someone please point me to the exact adapter I need to hook up PS3 to HDMI.

All you would ned is and HDMI>DVI adapter they can be found at many places.
post #374 of 2925 Old 01-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

I have a PS3 connected to my Samsung LCD TV using an HDMI cable.

I also have a Toshiba HD-A2 player connected via HDMI to the same TV.

I also have my cable box DVR connected via Component cable to the same TV.

Settings on my Samsung LCD TV are: Contrast set to 90 and Brightness set to 50. Everything looked great, deep blacks, perfect contrast, etc. on all sources.

However, when I turn on my PS3, all of a sudden the image is washed out. I have to lower the brightness on my Samsung LCD TV down to 30.

For example:

Here's what it would look like on my PS3 via HDMI (to my Samsung LCD TV):

And here's how it should look:

Why is this happening? I don't have a component cable, or I would try connecting my PS3 that way.

Can anyone help me? Any thoughts from PS3 owners?

I got the samsung 4692D and i get the same problem if i don't change the brightness and the contrast. For what ever reason it looks a lot brighter with the hdmi cable.
Not just with my ps3 i get the same from my dish HDDVR 622.
post #375 of 2925 Old 01-13-2007, 09:52 AM

Yellow dog 5.0 problem

After i install the otheros. self and the otheros.bld on the ps3 i switch it to the other OS and restart it. And i turns back on but it doesn't do anything at all my screen stays blank and it does not read from the Linux DVD.

What can i do to fix the problem?
I already tried to re install the bootloader and it did not change anything.

Please help.
post #376 of 2925 Old 01-13-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Setup: i have a hdmi/dvi adapter to my dvi connection on my Panny T-50PHD6UY plasma.

It recognizes 1080i with no visual issues. However, when it switches to 720p (for RFOM) there is a 1-2" vertical line consisting of different colored horizontal lines on the right edge of the screen. Any clues how to resolve this resolution issue? The Panny is definitely a 720p device and has worked with hd cable boxes and directv hd boxes with ease.

Also- with DVD it is outputting a 4:3 signal (or when it "automatically" finds resolution--it does so at 480p and you still have bars on the side). Why would it do 4:3 at 480p resolution? I had to use Full or Just on my plasma to fill the screen which is not ideal.

Thanks!
post #377 of 2925 Old 01-13-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen View Post

muttt, I actually hooked mine up via composite first, but you SHOULD be able to sync to HDMI right away by holding down the power button on the front for 5 sec or so when you first turn it on. You should hear a beep, then you can let go and it should start with 480p and let you select other resolutions from there.

Had a diffrent problem but what you said worked thanks man!!!
post #378 of 2925 Old 01-13-2007, 03:56 PM

Two issues with PS3 connected HDMI to DVI on Westinghouse LCD. The TV claims to support 1080p on DVI 1 (which is the input I have the PS3 going to):

ISSUE 1 - When I try to manually select 1080p through PS3 video setup, it runs the test screen, goes all retarded, then after 30 seconds or so, goes back to the same screen to select again, and doesn't prompt me to save changes to keep it at 1080p. If i deselect 1080p and leave 1080i as the highest selected, it prompts me to save, and then keeps the system at 1080i. Am I missing something here?

ISSUE 2 - I try to run optical audio from PS3 to my receiver (BOSE 3-2-1), and get no sound. I verified that BD-DVD audio was set to Bitstream, and selected audio optical for audio settings, also selected both DTS and Dolby for receiver sound formats. I still get no sound at all. If I use composite a/v for sound, it works fine.

I feel like I'm missing some simple step to fix one or both of these issues. Any help?

Thanks.
post #379 of 2925 Old 01-13-2007, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogholley View Post

Two issues with PS3 connected HDMI to DVI on Westinghouse LCD. The TV claims to support 1080p on DVI 1 (which is the input I have the PS3 going to):

ISSUE 1 - When I try to manually select 1080p through PS3 video setup, it runs the test screen, goes all retarded, then after 30 seconds or so, goes back to the same screen to select again, and doesn't prompt me to save changes to keep it at 1080p. If i deselect 1080p and leave 1080i as the highest selected, it prompts me to save, and then keeps the system at 1080i. Am I missing something here?

ISSUE 2 - I try to run optical audio from PS3 to my receiver (BOSE 3-2-1), and get no sound. I verified that BD-DVD audio was set to Bitstream, and selected audio optical for audio settings, also selected both DTS and Dolby for receiver sound formats. I still get no sound at all. If I use composite a/v for sound, it works fine.

I feel like I'm missing some simple step to fix one or both of these issues. Any help?

Thanks.

Issue 2- How many optical inputs does the 321 have? You might have to assign the optical input on your 3-2-1 to match the input where you have the ps3 optical cable plugged in to it.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #380 of 2925 Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithR View Post

Setup: i have a hdmi/dvi adapter to my dvi connection on my Panny T-50PHD6UY plasma.

It recognizes 1080i with no visual issues. However, when it switches to 720p (for RFOM) there is a 1-2" vertical line consisting of different colored horizontal lines on the right edge of the screen. Any clues how to resolve this resolution issue? The Panny is definitely a 720p device and has worked with hd cable boxes and directv hd boxes with ease.

Also- with DVD it is outputting a 4:3 signal (or when it "automatically" finds resolution--it does so at 480p and you still have bars on the side). Why would it do 4:3 at 480p resolution? I had to use Full or Just on my plasma to fill the screen which is not ideal.

Thanks!

Well, discovered through DVI there is just a bunch of overscan so a simple h-position switch on the plasma seems to have cured the 720p problem.
post #381 of 2925 Old 01-13-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Issue 2- How many optical inputs does the 321 have? You might have to assign the optical input on your 3-2-1 to match the input where you have the ps3 optical cable plugged in to it.

I looked over the manual a little more closely after reading your post...assigned the optical input...works now...incredible sound difference. Thanks man.
post #382 of 2925 Old 01-14-2007, 07:09 AM

I am having an odd ground loop issue. I have my PS3 connected to my TV and my Infocus 4805 through via my old PS2 component cables via a 4x2 component switch. Audio is hooked up to the receiver via optical. I am getting the ground loop hum through the tv speakers and a quieter hum through the receiver. The the rolling horizonal bar is there on both the TV and the Infocus. Now when I first hooked up the Infocus I had ground loop and that was because my cable line was not grounded. I grounded the line so the cable line is not the culprit. I tried unplugging every other input device besides the PS3 and no luck...still have ground loop. I made sure all of my components are plugged into the same surge protector...still have ground loop. I have an HDMI to DVI cable on the way from monoprice, so hopefully I won't have to deal with this problem much longer...it is still driving me crazy though.
post #383 of 2925 Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaDude View Post

The overscan settings on your set, and mine, probably are the issue here. Try looking here -> for some dangerous stuff on possible ways to adjust the overscan issue. WARNING - Stupid stuff can fry your set.

Great news to people with CRT HDTVs like my Sony KV-34XBR910

Today I downloaded Lemmings Demo and to my surprise there is a setup menu in the game that let me shrink the screen vertically and horizontally making all the edges show up unlike all my other PS3 games that overscan. If this is there, then that means that someone in programming is aware of the problem. I never had issues with my xbox 360 and they all show full screen without overscan. However, PS3 with HDMI might me the issue and hopefully the next version of PS3 update will solve it so we can all tweak our older HDTVs on CRT. I really don't wish to go into my service menu and fix something that is not broken (since it works on xbox 360).
post #384 of 2925 Old 01-14-2007, 06:30 PM

Hi, my ps3 is hooked up to Sony grand wega KF50WE620 via hdmi>dvi and i am experiencing the sparkels which randomly and annoying, sometimes i reset (by holding the power button to 5secs) and it will go away. But usually i noticed this after i quit a game or blu-ray movie.

i googled and what i found from their comments is because of hdmi>dvi ports, but not sure if the hdmi-dvi cable itself is causing the sparkles. Any advise if there is actually a fix for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abates25 View Post

So...questions and comments....

I have a Westinghouse 42w2 rev 1.19. It is a set which does accept 1080p signals through all of it's ports (well...not composite or S-Video...). I know that the HDMI ports have the issue of hot/sparkly pixels for sets prior to the (confusingly newer) 1.0 sets. I would be thrilled to hear about peoples experiences with this set, a PS3, and a HDMI -> DVI connection and component connection. Success? Failure? Results? Thanks!

post #385 of 2925 Old 01-15-2007, 07:01 AM

While playing the PS3 I notice that in the middle of games the action seems to slow down. So it seems like the game play is in slow motion. Any solutions on how to correct the problem? Or is my PS3 defective...this seems to happen with both games on blu ray disc and demos downloaded.
post #386 of 2925 Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 AM

Just bought a Bravia S402010. I have the HDMI to HDMI cable connected directly from PS3 to TV (no HD cable box yet). Plug in AV cables to try and change video output settings from AV to HDMI. System tries to make the change, but goes black for 30 seconds and doesn't seem to recognize HDMI at all. I know it seems obvious, but I'm obviously missing something here. Any suggestions?
post #387 of 2925 Old 01-15-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moega13 View Post

Just bought a Bravia S402010. I have the HDMI to HDMI cable connected directly from PS3 to TV (no HD cable box yet). Plug in AV cables to try and change video output settings from AV to HDMI. System tries to make the change, but goes black for 30 seconds and doesn't seem to recognize HDMI at all. I know it seems obvious, but I'm obviously missing something here. Any suggestions?

Try This- Turn on the tv first. Then turn on the ps3 and go to the video settings.
Select hdmi and automatic connection. Make sure the tv is on before setting up the ps3.
And of course have your hdmi cable connected before all of this.

post #388 of 2925 Old 01-15-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hint

"If [Bitstream] is selected, some portions of the audio content may not be output".

Anyone know why the ps3 say's this when you select bitstream to output audio.

post #389 of 2925 Old 01-15-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogholley View Post

I looked over the manual a little more closely after reading your post...assigned the optical input...works now...incredible sound difference. Thanks man.

Glad it helped! I have 3 optical inputs on my HT receiver and had to do it also.

post #390 of 2925 Old 01-15-2007, 12:00 PM

hey guys. i orignially had my ps3 hooked up via hdmi. then i moved it to another tv for the wekeend and i had to use sucky composite cables. to get it to work i had to hold the power button for 5 seconds to reset the resolution. now when i hook it up back to the original tv via hdmi, i am getting no picture. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page