PS3 problems and setup issues thread! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2925 Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I have an XBOX 360, but I have got the three red rings. It is still under warranty, but if I trade it in for a new 360, it will be the FOURTH Xbox 360 I have had since August 2006!

Obviously, I am seriously thinking of dumping the 360 for a PS3. But, I'd like to know your thoughts on the system. Does it seem to break down as much and as often as the 360? Are people having serious issues (as a whole, not individually)?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2925 Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post

Hey guys,

I have an XBOX 360, but I have got the three red rings. It is still under warranty, but if I trade it in for a new 360, it will be the FOURTH Xbox 360 I have had since August 2006!

Obviously, I am seriously thinking of dumping the 360 for a PS3. But, I'd like to know your thoughts on the system. Does it seem to break down as much and as often as the 360? Are people having serious issues (as a whole, not individually)?

Thanks in advance.

It's not even close.

The PS3 runs quiet and cool. It's also made with quality components, which are not manufactured by the lowest bidder.
post #633 of 2925 Old 05-31-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

This thread should also tell you the reliability of the ps3..from all of us here at avsforum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=poll

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #634 of 2925 Old 06-01-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm having some issues with the DLNA server setup. I have tried sever servers and each has their own problems with the PS3 and none have been perfect. Yet, many have used the same software and report good results.

All content is the same-

TwonkyMedia- Played mp3s, some videos and 1 folder of images not main folder of images
EyeConnect- Played mp3s, no videos and no photos (iphotos) at all
MediaTomb- Played no content
USB FLash drive, see my music folders, see the # and size of files but will not play them.

So I'm at a loss at to what would case my issue. It's not network or router/firewall because the USB flash drive had issues. It's not my content because TwonkyMedia played all my mp3s, and some jpgs/gifs and mpgs.

Are there any tips I can try?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #635 of 2925 Old 06-01-2007, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Question on audio. Right now I am using HDMI>DVI for my video, but for audio I used the included a/v cable and just ran the red and white audio wires into a spare input on my reciever. It sounds good, but I noticed the PS3 has an optical out and my reciever happens to have a spare optical input. Will I noticed a difference if I get a decent optical cable and setup audio through that???

also, a video question. Everything appears fine, but I saw something mentioned about telling the PS3 what type of display is connected (4:3 or 16:9). Is this something I have to explicitly set or is it determined when I choose the video output setting? (Right now I am set to HDMI)

Verizon FIOS (Norfolk County, MA)
Samsung 43" DLP display
Yamaha HTR-5730 surround system
Playstation 3
post #636 of 2925 Old 06-01-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you'd notice quite the difference as I beleive, you'd be going from analog stereo to digital 5.1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #637 of 2925 Old 06-01-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I just noticed that on the playstation site. Question, if the analog stereo is only 2.0 how come I was still hearing sound out of all 5 speakers? is that even possible?

Samsung 43" DLP display
Playstation 3
post #638 of 2925 Old 06-01-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

K, I just played around and discovered the PS3 does not like your files to be inside a folder (inside the main directory). I have MUSIC/artistname/album/song.mp3 and PS3 said what? So, I pulled a few mp3s into root level of MUSIC and they played. Not sure why, but at least I know how to set up the thumb drive.

I can't imagine the meidaserver would have these issues, because Twonky and Eyeconnect both played my mp3s, but neither played my photos or videos with consistency.

post #639 of 2925 Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

So I'm still seeing little white artifacts when in the XMB or in certain scenes on games (pitch black background is where it is noticeable)......I googled around and saw some others describe this as "sparklies" that randomly appear on the screen. I'm using a Samsung DLP with a hdmi adapter to DVI cable into the tv. Is it the cable, the adapter, the tv, a setting, some interference??? Anyone else seen this?

for some reason this seems to be most prevelant on system startup, and after playing for about an hour it goes away....I'm stumped.

Samsung 43" DLP display
Playstation 3
post #640 of 2925 Old 06-05-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd23 View Post

Yeah I just noticed that on the playstation site. Question, if the analog stereo is only 2.0 how come I was still hearing sound out of all 5 speakers? is that even possible?

It is. You can convert 2.0 sound to 5.1 or how many speakers you got depending on the capabilities of your receiver.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #641 of 2925 Old 06-05-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd23 View Post

yes, like old surround dolby digital dts, simulates it (The amplifier splits it up into
the front l/r , rear surroud , and bass and (center speech). which is like a cheap form of 5.1 or 6.1.

they just had the old analog red white cables on the inputs
post #642 of 2925 Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just bought a wireless keyboard that works well with the PS3. Anyone have key mappings for the start, PS3, ... and other controller keys to a keyboard for using the web browser? Already found the Escape, F1, and F5 but I'm sure there's more.

Thanks in advance.
post #643 of 2925 Old 06-06-2007, 06:16 AM

^ what kind did you by, I am looking to do that. Did you have to set up with usb, or is it just
out of the box and the ps3 sees it automatically?
post #644 of 2925 Old 06-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

BTC 9029URF III - worked right out of the box. You may want to play with a wired USB keyboard first to see if you really want to go this route. The browsing experience isn't exactly what I expected

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823110015
post #645 of 2925 Old 06-06-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

BTC 9029URF III - worked right out of the box. You may want to play with a wired USB keyboard first to see if you really want to go this route. The browsing experience isn't exactly what I expected

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823110015

I just bought the official PS3 KEYBOARD

I'm still waiting for my PS3 to return from SONY Repair.
So I have no idea how this keyboard will work.
post #646 of 2925 Old 06-07-2007, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Just to clarify, I don't know of ANY keyboards recognized by the Sony Bluetooth stack. Even the OFFICIAL KB mentioned above uses a USB dongle.

Hope that helps.

NOW - Does anyone know about Key Mappings???????
post #647 of 2925 Old 06-07-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

Just to clarify, I don't know of ANY keyboards recognized by the Sony Bluetooth stack. Even the OFFICIAL KB mentioned above uses a USB dongle.

Hope that helps.

NOW - Does anyone know about Key Mappings???????

It uses a USB Receiver - I don't know if I would call that a
dongle.

But I agree it is NOT using the Internal PS3 Bluetooth Receiver.

But the PS3 does recognize the USB Receiver without loading or
configuring any software or parameters.

Also since it is made by logitech and blessed by SONY - you would
think getting the mapping information would be easy. I'll find out
when my PS3 shows up from REPAIR - later today.
post #648 of 2925 Old 06-10-2007, 09:47 AM

So here's what's happening... Only noticed this after installing the last update..
My kids have some PS2 games they play, when we load them the screen will go black and nothing will happen.. can't get back to the main menu, pressing the ps3 button on the controller doesn't work either, so I have to flip the switch on the back of the system, which can't be to good to do' right? It doesn't happen everytime though.. that's what's weird.. has anyone else noticed this??

thanks for any feedback..

aloha
post #649 of 2925 Old 06-10-2007, 07:53 PM

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I'm a noob to PS3 and gaming in general; had no luck finding answer in search. New PS3, want to use on 2nd TV with only S-video input. No luck with either the component cable that came with the PS3 or with another PS2 S-video/component cable. Tried changing setup from HDMI output (which works fine) to AV Multi or S-video/component and get no picture or sound. Also tried on two TVs; no luck. Is there a trick to this? Thanks...
post #650 of 2925 Old 06-12-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumz View Post

So here's what's happening... Only noticed this after installing the last update..
My kids have some PS2 games they play, when we load them the screen will go black and nothing will happen.. can't get back to the main menu, pressing the ps3 button on the controller doesn't work either, so I have to flip the switch on the back of the system, which can't be to good to do' right? It doesn't happen everytime though.. that's what's weird.. has anyone else noticed this??

thanks for any feedback..

aloha

^^ sometimes when playing F1 game, if I cancell the game, then it reloades the game, the screen stays black, but I can hear the audio. But if I cancel, then kinda just look a a few pictures or a video then go back and reload the game it is usually ok. if it stays black I just press the ps button on the ps3 and not on the remote. then it is ok. why do you switch off the back of ps3? just hit the ps reload standby button on the ps3 and not on the controller.
post #651 of 2925 Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

when my ps3 was up and running the audio would just turn off suddenly. now this never happend when playing a brd or rfom. it only happened when playing tiger woods gold (the game i play the most). is it a problem with the game itself or a issue with the ps3.

its real wierd the audio would cut off suddenly and wouldnt come back on till some random time later in the match play (or if i restarted the system). i had it connected through the hdmi but sending the audio through a optic cable to the receiver.

also has anyone experienced these problems before,

system freezing up at random screens in the menu.

controllers not reading the ps3 (even with the usb cable connected).

power button on the front not able to turn the system off

system not sending video to the screen (not a connection problem and its set to hdmi could hear the audio which was set to hdmi at the time plus it sends the video to the tv sometimes after a reset with the back switch).

i just hope my next one doesnt have any of these problems (will be my 3rd system and only (approx) 20 hours of use in 3 months).

Pioneer 5010FD, Sony 60A3000, Panny 42PZ85U, Yamaha RX-V3800, Denon 4308, B&W 600's, HSU VTF-3 MK3, Def. Tech. bp7004, 2002, 1.2x, 2x, TivoHD, Samsung 1200, harmony 1000, ps3, xbox360, Sony BDP S350
post #652 of 2925 Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillonhill View Post

^^ sometimes when playing F1 game, if I cancell the game, then it reloades the game, the screen stays black, but I can hear the audio. But if I cancel, then kinda just look a a few pictures or a video then go back and reload the game it is usually ok. if it stays black I just press the ps button on the ps3 and not on the remote. then it is ok. why do you switch off the back of ps3? just hit the ps reload standby button on the ps3 and not on the controller.

Sounds like we have different problems.. Mine LOCKS up.. front button on machine do not respond and the PS button on the remote or joysticks don't work either.. have to use the back to switch it off... seems to only do this with PS2 games, have not done it with any of my PS3 games.. never had this problem prior to the last update.. was thinking the new settings for the PS1-PS2 games in the settings may be set incorrectly.. Just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of thing happen//

Thanks though for the input..
post #653 of 2925 Old 06-13-2007, 04:40 AM

"Great find! Thanks for posting this, that's my something new for today learnt."
post #654 of 2925 Old 06-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumz View Post

Sounds like we have different problems.. Mine LOCKS up.. front button on machine do not respond and the PS button on the remote or joysticks don't work either.. have to use the back to switch it off... seems to only do this with PS2 games, have not done it with any of my PS3 games.. never had this problem prior to the last update.. was thinking the new settings for the PS1-PS2 games in the settings may be set incorrectly.. Just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of thing happen//

Thanks though for the input..

sounds alot like what my new system is doing. it freezes in the menu though. i cant even get a game into the system or it might never come back out. i cant even setup my psnid before it freezes.

Pioneer 5010FD, Sony 60A3000, Panny 42PZ85U, Yamaha RX-V3800, Denon 4308, B&W 600's, HSU VTF-3 MK3, Def. Tech. bp7004, 2002, 1.2x, 2x, TivoHD, Samsung 1200, harmony 1000, ps3, xbox360, Sony BDP S350
post #655 of 2925 Old 06-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I turned on my PS3 last night and all I got was a blank screen, I shut it off and tried again and it came on with the wave, but no XMB and at the bottom was select X cancel O. I tried pressing both buttons with the remote and then with a controller with no response. I tried the PS button and had the option to turn off system or controller. I tried turning off the power in the back for ten seconds, and also the power button boot trick and it just goes to the same screen. Anyone else heard of this or have a clue how tofix it?

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
post #656 of 2925 Old 06-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

I turned on my PS3 last night and all I got was a blank screen, I shut it off and tried again and it came on with the wave, but no XMB and at the bottom was select X cancel O. I tried pressing both buttons with the remote and then with a controller with no response. I tried the PS button and had the option to turn off system or controller. I tried turning off the power in the back for ten seconds, and also the power button boot trick and it just goes to the same screen. Anyone else heard of this or have a clue how tofix it?

its broken. i had 2 systems go through this. here check out this link and see what i went through. people in this section dont believe me after i started reporting this problem but look now its becoming more common. my first system froze up then suddenly stopped turning on. sony sent me a new system only to have this same issue right out of the box. now my system wont send the picture to the screen at all. so i gave up last night trying to get it to work.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=851849

so all you can do is call sony and have them send you a new "refurbished" ps3. which will take approx. 12 days unless you live on the west coast. i believe they ship the new units from texas.

post #657 of 2925 Old 06-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboncorr1 View Post

its broken. i had 2 systems go through this. here check out this link and see what i went through. people in this section dont believe me after i started reporting this problem but look now its becoming more common. my first system froze up then suddenly stopped turning on. sony sent me a new system only to have this same issue right out of the box. now my system wont send the picture to the screen at all. so i gave up last night trying to get it to work.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=851849

so all you can do is call sony and have them send you a new "refurbished" ps3. which will take approx. 12 days unless you live on the west coast. i believe they ship the new units from texas.

Well, my system was not broken after all, I called a sony rep and he had me unplug all cables, remove the hard drive, install it and plug everything back in. I guess it does a complete reboot of the system and it worked. My gf was cleaning around it earlier and may have done something to it in the process. I noticed that the letters looked a little wider than usual so I think something was wrong in relation to the video output settings for the hdmi, but don't know for sure. Just glad I didn't have to send it back for a refurbished unit, you never know what they have been through or how many hours of use it had on it. Thanks for the input anyway and sorry to hear about your troubles with the sony rep, the person I contacted actually spoke english as a native language and sounded american, lol.

post #658 of 2925 Old 06-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post

Well, my system was not broken after all, I called a sony rep and he had me unplug all cables, remove the hard drive, install it and plug everything back in. I guess it does a complete reboot of the system and it worked. My gf was cleaning around it earlier and may have done something to it in the process. I noticed that the letters looked a little wider than usual so I think something was wrong in relation to the video output settings for the hdmi, but don't know for sure. Just glad I didn't have to send it back for a refurbished unit, you never know what they have been through or how many hours of use it had on it. Thanks for the input anyway and sorry to hear about your troubles with the sony rep, the person I contacted actually spoke english as a native language and sounded american, lol.

dam i read this and pulled out my hdd minutes later. it worked for about 2 minutes and then suddenly my system shut down on its own (well first it beeped at me and then went into a standby mode). powered it up 2 more times and got the same results. it also resetting the hdmi handshake becuase i gotta unplugg the hdmi from the back of the tv then back in to get a picture every time i start it up.

dam, i was so hopefull when i read your post but im sure this advice will help others so good job taking the time to let others know.

post #659 of 2925 Old 06-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboncorr1 View Post

dam, i was so hopefull when i read your post but im sure this advice will help others so good job taking the time to let others know.

It didn't work the first two times for me, first time I didn't select A/V through the hdmi, cause I have sound through optical link. Well it doesn't give you the option to set only video to the hdmi, so I was left with a blank screen. The second time I didn't unplug all the cables, and it did not reboot. The third time it finally worked after I selected A/V to hdmi, then set my audio up in settings.

BTW I have had this system since Nov 17th and this is the first major problem that I have encountered I think my gf must have done something to cause this because she was acting kinda fishy when it messed up, everything is ok now though.

post #660 of 2925 Old 06-17-2007, 04:12 PM

i am getting an error "not supported mode" when trying to play a blu-ray disk using ps3 and the 1.8 software? i just started having the problem? i have tried 2 disk and gotten the same error. games play fine.

TV is samsung hls5087
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page