Advertisement

post #722 of 2925 Old 07-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie question here

I recently tried hooking my PS3 to my home computer via wireless network using a D-link router. My home computer is a newer Dell with Windows XP. I transferred all the pictures on the computer into the "shared documents" folder and ran the setup network utility on the home computer which allowed other computers access to files on it. After doing all that I still cannot access any pictures with the PS3. I'm sure there is something I am overlooking, but I'm not sure what. Is there something I did wrong when initially setting up the network on the PS3 (I really didn't understand alot of the options on there)? Is there something else?
post #723 of 2925 Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM

Hello, Just got my PS3 yesterday (and updated to 1.9FW) and have been researching the forums in terms of calibration.

Reading through all the new updates and stuff...I am really confused...is there a good common setting for video image in terms of RGB (FULL, limit), super white, and Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr settings??
I have read posts in avs that claims that having BTB, WTW or any optimal settings for BD/DVD looks greats, but when playing DLed trailers or games, the setting looks horrid since they use different color space. I am using this baby to its full potential, so I am not just going to only watch movies or only play games and do not want to switch back and forth between settings all the time.

So again, is there an optimal setting that can be set for both? It seems to be it should be possible since XMB/games and DLed Videos are RGB, while BD and DVDs are in Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr (please correct if wrong) so the setting should be independent of each other...but from what I read, this is not so...

I have it hooked up to an HP md5880n.

Many thanks
post #724 of 2925 Old 07-28-2007, 12:49 PM

I am getting some error numbers when I try to invite someone into private chat and it say could not connect to server error code 8???????. Can anyone help, I just recently noticed this problem since the update given that I was chattin with one of my freinds a couple days before.

Thanks in advance
post #725 of 2925 Old 07-29-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max743 View Post

I'm having a weird problem with my video. I have the PS3 hooked up to my plasma via component. The first time I turned it on everything was fine. Now when I start it up I get audio but no video, but strangely enough when I play a game the video works.

I have the exact same problem with my Sharp Aquos going through HDMI. Must be a system setting somewhere, or what happens with bad systems/cables.

Anyone solve this issue or have it?
post #726 of 2925 Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought a PS3 on Saturday, and hooked it up to my existing DVI cable (which goes through the wall to my projector) using an HDMI -> DVI adapter. It worked fine Saturday night and part of Sunday morning. Then all of a sudden the picture went out. Log story short, the adapter went bad. I replaced it and now everything's fine.

The adapter went bad at the exact time I went upstairs and turned on media sharing on my PC. When I came back down to see how it worked in the PS3, the screen was blank. I naturally assumed I had caused the problem when I turned on media sharing. Turns out I just happened to turn on media sharing at the exact time the adapter went bad. I actually still can't believe it, but the new adapter is working, so, whatever...

The moral of the story is, even improbable things can happen sometimes!

-Dan
post #727 of 2925 Old 07-30-2007, 10:25 AM

I have a KDS-R60XBR2 and a PS3. When I am watching a Blue Ray DVD if I PRESS Display on the remote the source says it is 1080i Shouldn't the source read 1080P?
post #728 of 2925 Old 07-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

people who have a quiet, cool running PS3:

could you please describe the environment where your PS3 sits (open/closed cabinet, ambient temps, amount of spacing around the unit, other components being used nearby... etc...)

thanks

mine is from launch and you could cook and egg on it. and you might want to speak up if you're going to talk over it. and if the movie is too long it might overheat and lockup or start to skip. it has about 5-6" of space all the way around it. it's in a cabinet with the front open. there are about a dozen 2" holes on the back panel
post #729 of 2925 Old 07-30-2007, 04:31 PM

My PS3 runs perfectly quiet even during BD, DVD or RFOM action. It currently sits on top of (outside) my audio cabinet. Initially I put it in the audio cabinet, but soon realized it was getting too hot. I could hear the fans even with the glass front shut. It's well ventilated where it is now and I have to admit, it looks good where it is. Plus, I don't have to open and close the glass front every time I want to watch a movie or play a game.
post #730 of 2925 Old 07-30-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmitty View Post

I have a KDS-R60XBR2 and a PS3. When I am watching a Blue Ray DVD if I PRESS Display on the remote the source says it is 1080i Shouldn't the source read 1080P?

If you're using HDMI or component you need to set it up in your PS3 settings to use those resolutions. Also, make sure the movie supports 1080p.
post #731 of 2925 Old 07-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Today while watching "300" I decided to pause the movie and switch from component to HDMI to see which connection gave the better picture and as soon as I did, I got a red screen that said something like "contact customer service" and "error" something or other. This was the first time I had any kind of problems with my PS3...I am also running firmware 1.9 which I updated to last nite. Anyone else see this pop up before or know what it is ??? I have since turned off the PS3's main power and then turned it back on and everything seems to be working ok....for now.

Thanks,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #732 of 2925 Old 07-31-2007, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian27 View Post

Today while watching "300" I decided to pause the movie and switch from component to HDMI to see which connection gave the better picture and as soon as I did, I got a red screen that said something like "contact customer service" and "error" something or other. This was the first time I had any kind of problems with my PS3...I am also running firmware 1.9 which I updated to last nite. Anyone else see this pop up before or know what it is ??? I have since turned off the PS3's main power and then turned it back on and everything seems to be working ok....for now.

Thanks,
Brian

Did you change inputs when the PS3 was still on?
If so The HDMI handshake probably just bitch slapped you!

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
post #733 of 2925 Old 08-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

Did you change inputs when the PS3 was still on?
If so The HDMI handshake probably just bitch slapped you!

Yea it was on but I had done this a couple times before and not had this come up...hopefully it just bitch slapped me and wont knock me out soon...

Thanks,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #734 of 2925 Old 08-01-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeCapone View Post

I am getting some error numbers when I try to invite someone into private chat and it say could not connect to server error code 8???????. Can anyone help, I just recently noticed this problem since the update given that I was chattin with one of my freinds a couple days before.

Thanks in advance

I've been getting the same error message. Mostly while playing Rainbow Six I get the error. I also have noticed that this occurred after the latest firmware update.
post #735 of 2925 Old 08-01-2007, 06:58 PM

I want to play PS2 games on my PS3, however, they look terrible. I have a 1080p Samsung TV and the PS3 games look immaculate, but I can't seem to find the adjustment for the PS2 games which looked great on the PS2 system with component out and widescreen. Is there a 16:9 setting in PS3 for the PS2 games?

Thanks.
post #736 of 2925 Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTampa View Post

I've been getting the same error message. Mostly while playing Rainbow Six I get the error. I also have noticed that this occurred after the latest firmware update.

get to nat type 2

-------------------------
psn: acelightning15
just call me ace
post #737 of 2925 Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrojunkie View Post

So I've been having this problem for some time and I just give up...

I have a 20gig PS3, a Linksys wireless router, and a WinXP Pro Laptop. The Laptop is connected usually via wireless, but anytime I turn on the PS3 the wireless network crashes, anytime I try to access any network feature on the PS3 the network crashes. It can take 5-10 minutes of cajoling to reconnect.

I've replaced cables, I bought a new router, I've had 2 PS3's that have done the same thing. (I had to send my original to Sony, the new unit behaved exactly the same.) So I'm out of links in the chain that could be causing the problem. At first I didn't care because i would rarely be surfing the net while PS3ing, but now I can't get the media server to work, as soon as it searches for a media server my laptop gets kicked offline.

I figure at this point it must be operator error but I don't know what setting on the router or PS3 would make it so that the PS3 boots everything else offline. I have no network problems when the PS3 is off.

Any Ideas?

sounds like you have a ip address conflict. more than one device is using the same address

-------------------------
psn: acelightning15
just call me ace
post #738 of 2925 Old 08-03-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansarar View Post

I want to play PS2 games on my PS3, however, they look terrible. I have a 1080p Samsung TV and the PS3 games look immaculate, but I can't seem to find the adjustment for the PS2 games which looked great on the PS2 system with component out and widescreen. Is there a 16:9 setting in PS3 for the PS2 games?

Thanks.

In the PS3 menu go under the Game Setup (I think) settings and start playing
post #739 of 2925 Old 08-06-2007, 07:30 PM

Does anyone know if the Samsung LNT4661 can "pass-through" the HDMI audio to the optical out of the TV to my receiver? my optical cable won't reach from the PS3 straight to my amp...
thanks in advance
post #740 of 2925 Old 08-06-2007, 08:59 PM

Liked: 15
I just got my ps3 two days ago and I can't get it to work with my pc. I have XP MCE and windows media player 11, I have sharing on and its detected the ps3 as unknown device, I've allowed it to share music/photos/video and I have files in those folder on my pc, the ps3 detects my pc as sifulee(trinity), it finds the pics okay but it doesn't find videos or music, it get an error occurred when I click on the music folder, any suggestions?
post #741 of 2925 Old 08-07-2007, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

I'm so tempted to pick up a PS3 this week but there is one question that I've been meaning to ask for sometime now. How does the PS3 handle BD titles on a native 720p display?
I'd much rather prefer to have BD titles display at 720p rather than 1080i on my display.
post #742 of 2925 Old 08-07-2007, 01:49 PM

I just received my Samsung LN-T4061 TV and hooked it up to the ps3 via the hdmi cable, however i do not have any sound when i play a game.

I do have sound with videos, the key tone, everything except game demos and the games.

Is there a setting i am neglecting on the ps3?

Please help???

Thanks in advance.

edit: crisis adverted, i solved it myself....
post #743 of 2925 Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojubei View Post

edit: crisis adverted, i solved it myself....

So......what did you forget?

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
post #744 of 2925 Old 08-07-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 View Post

I'm so tempted to pick up a PS3 this week but there is one question that I've been meaning to ask for sometime now. How does the PS3 handle BD titles on a native 720p display?
I'd much rather prefer to have BD titles display at 720p rather than 1080i on my display.

If you only check 480p and 720p in the XMB, it will output the BD at 720p over HDMI. That is what you are looking for correct?
post #745 of 2925 Old 08-07-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiedigger View Post

In the PS3 menu go under the Game Setup (I think) settings and start playing

Yes, but it doesn't look like there's way to get the PS2 games to look as good on PS3 as they do on PS2. For one, there's no widescreen setting for PS2 games and the graphics are jagged.
post #746 of 2925 Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoboard View Post

If you only check 480p and 720p in the XMB, it will output the BD at 720p over HDMI. That is what you are looking for correct?

I was a bit concerned since the last time I actually followed the PS3, I remember reading something about PS3 scaler issues. So yeah, you answered my question. Much appreciated.
post #747 of 2925 Old 08-08-2007, 09:35 AM

Got a quick question re: my onkyo 604 and the PS3...what should the display read when watching a blu-ray movie? Should it say 'multichannel' ?
Also, can someone explain the difference between last valid/multichannel/direct ?
Thanks much
-WD
post #748 of 2925 Old 08-09-2007, 09:41 AM

Good morning!
my setup is the 65hm167, the HTSR800, PS3, and XBOX Elite.

I played around with the PS3 last night until 4am. New toys and all

Anyways, the TV, HTIB, and PS3 are all new components and I havn't figured out how to unlock all the power yet. My issue is I'm trying to get the setup I have to spit out 7.1 for HDDVD and Blu Ray. It's not happening yet.

Here's what I have:
3 HDMI Cables M-M
2 optical cables

I've been reading about my HTIB and I'm disappointed because it seems like I won't get 7.1 out of it because of it's "pass-through" nature. I'm also worried because I can't find "LPCM 7.1" in the manual anywhere for the 7.1 through the Blu Ray.

I apologize, this is my first foray into quite a few new things: 1080p, actually owning a receiver and speakers, the ps3 and BR functionality

Thanks for any help!
post #749 of 2925 Old 08-09-2007, 01:45 PM

007 ... From what I can tell, you will NOT get 7.1 out of the PS3 and into your system, but instead get whatever can be supported via an Optical connection. As you pointed out, your Onkyo just does HDMI pass-through and the PS3 needs HDMI for the 7.1 signal.

As for the LPCM 7.1 in the manual, have a look here at the online manual --> http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...diooutput.html.

AmigaDude
post #750 of 2925 Old 08-09-2007, 04:33 PM

AmigaDude:

Thanks for the reply!

I appreciate the confirmation and the link to the online manual, I will read the crap out of it.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page