AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidme View Post

Just some pics for proof

So the 360 has the Red Ring of Death, and the PS3 has the ummm... Red Rectangle of Death. Not quite as catchy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Daekwan, I have everything hooked up to a surge protector, When I had the 360, it was hooked up to the same surge protector, its a brand new one at that. I also considered the outlets as this is an add on room but, all my other equiptment: TV, AV receiver, cable box, etc. Has ran properly from day one. I am not the only one in existence that has had a 360 go out and more then once. Trust me everything is hooked up right and using quality cables. My one and only problem with MS other then the fact that they dont have a model with HDMI and a built in HD-DVD player was the fact that they wouldnt give me a new console they just would switch out the defective part and send the same one back and the fact that the waranty was only 6months and that I had to pay an inital $130 to have it repaired because of faulty parts, I can understand paying the money if it was negligence or missuse on my part. I am guilty of wanting more for my money and wanting every other hard working American worker to get quaility for their money. Thanks!
post #63 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah george its not very glamorious but it gets the point across. At least I dont have three red rings dancing around teasing me.
post #64 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidme View Post

Daekwan, I have everything hooked up to a surge protector, When I had the 360, it was hooked up to the same surge protector, its a brand new one at that. I also considered the outlets as this is an add on room but, all my other equiptment: TV, AV receiver, cable box, etc. Has ran properly from day one. I am not the only one in existence that has had a 360 go out and more then once. Trust me everything is hooked up right and using quality cables. My one and only problem with MS other then the fact that they dont have a model with HDMI and a built in HD-DVD player was the fact that they wouldnt give me a new console they just would switch out the defective part and send the same one back and the fact that the waranty was only 6months and that I had to pay an inital $130 to have it repaired because of faulty parts, I can understand paying the money if it was negligence or missuse on my part. I am guilty of wanting more for my money and wanting every other hard working American worker to get quaility for their money. Thanks!

Maybe you can get a friend to 'sacriface' their next gen console either 360 or PS3 and test their unit at your house for 24 hours..

Just seems that with systems dying over and over.. different systems by different manufacters that something isnt right..

I guess when you get your replacment PS3 will know for sure rather its your equipment or not causing the problems..

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #65 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

I am a very honest person and sometimes people dont like the truth, that makes me less then popular on here but I think people should hear the truth. I have no agenda other then the hope that my bitching and others with the same might catch the attention of someone within the industry that will look into any problem. What better place then AVS forum as it seems to attract more of the right people. In this day and age consumers dollars arent appreciated as they once were and the sad part of it all is it happens to Americans by American Corps. Thats All
post #66 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Daekwan, I am the only person in my circle that buys consoles, everyone else are straight PC people or dont have the funds that I am luck to have to buy a new console everytime one comes out. If I do get another console from Sony and it fails then that really wont tell me anything because it will contain the same parts that might be faulty wide spread. Again if there was something wrong with voltage in the plugs of my houses electrical system then my surge protector would let me know about it, and my other equiptment would be suffering the same fait, but thats not the case. The only thing I can think of is if its not supplying enough voltage rather then too much. Other people experienced multiple failures with their 360s as well so it is not just me. I have a feeling others might experiece failures with their PS3s, some wont. Its how the manufacturer handles the problem that makes the difference.
post #67 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your console messed up after you powered it off. and later powered back on.

After watching a movie for a bit or playing a game the fan will kick on. What I do, is afterwards with no game or movie running, leave the system going that way the fan can continue to cool the system (maybe for 5 minutes or until the fan shuts off) then power it off. I'm going to treat it like the may my projector gets cooled.
post #68 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 06:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post

After watching a movie for a bit or playing a game the fan will kick on. What I do, is afterwards with no game or movie running, leave the system going that way the fan can continue to cool the system (maybe for 5 minutes or until the fan shuts off) then power it off. I'm going to treat it like the may my projector gets cooled.

Hiya,

That would be cool if there was a discrete IR code for the PS3 that allowed the fan to stay on for five minutes...

With that said, I will NEVER buy a PS3. Don't get me wrong, I was there on Launch Day for the PS1, PS2, and PSP. I am done with Sony. I have also purchased every new system on Launch Day since the Genesis...yes this includes the TurboCrapix-16 and the 3DO!!!

I have my 360 and pick up my Wii tomorrow AM!!! WOOT!!!

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........
post #69 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 06:14 PM

Any update on NBA 2K7 running in 720p instead of 1080p?

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

post #70 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post

Yeah, I wonder what is up with that! I got the game and it won't run in 1080p, only 720p. I was a little upset, cause the back of the box clearly says 1080p....

post #71 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

THat is strange, I haven't ran into that problem yet. I played Ricky Bobby Blu-Ray and went back to play all the demo's and the machine is still runnng...Are you guys having problems with playing a game disc after playing a Blu-Ray movie? If so, I haven't tried that yet since I have no game discs..

It's only game discs that are affected, not demos on the HDD (at least for me). I only have this problem after I play a Blu-Ray movie, then try and play a PS3 game disc right afterwords.

If I try and run a demo, the sound is fine.
post #72 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're thinking of NBA '07. That's the game that is supposed to be 1080p. NBA 2k7 as far as I know is 720p like all the other 2k games.
post #73 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

You're thinking of NBA '07. That's the game that is supposed to be 1080p. NBA 2k7 as far as I know is 720p like all the other 2k games.

I read that NBA2K7 is 1080p... and read on a thread on this site that it's being bumped down to 720p instead.

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

post #74 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Another problem to add to list: Playstation 2 (and probably 1) games do not display correctly. There's already a thread about this but I thought it should be here too.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...41#post8935041

I did some testing with a couple of PS2 games and there's no doubt about it: Edges are way too jaggy both in game and cut scene videos too. I tried HDMI, component, 480p, 480i, all with the same results. I'm very familiar with the way games on the PS2 look on my TV and this isn't right. The PS3 is doing something funky. The games I tested were FFXII and Mercenaries. It's possible this problem is limited to certain games, but I doubt it.

Besides being ticked at Sony obviously, I'm really disappointed with Gamespot, IGN, etc. who all should have caught this kind of stuff in their time with the PS3. Between this and the 720p/1080i problem it seems they're really doing a poor job.
post #75 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read that NBA2K7 is 1080p... and read on a thread on this site that it's being bumped down to 720p instead.

I imagine it was just a mistake. It's easy to confuse NBA 2K7 with NBA '07. What does it actually say on back of the NBA 2K7 box?
post #76 of 2925 Old 11-18-2006, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Had My First Crash This Morning While Signing Up For Playstation Network. Unbelievable!! I Hope This Isn't A Sign Of Things To Come.

BD- 134
HD DVD- 98

"I have been told by a very reliable contact that Universal should announce neutrality during CES 2008..." -beatboy77
post #77 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

tlreddragon, Im starting to believe that its going to become a fact of life with the first batch of consoles from any manufacturer. Its something that we "early adaptors" are going to have to accept. I was certain that the PS3 would be trouble free, but I was wrong in that reguard. The more advanced these systems get the larger the room for something to go wrong. Dont forget as alot of people have that it happened with the xbox360s and it appears that they have finally worked out all their bugs, Its going to take time with the PS3 as well. Nintendo Wii, who knows, its not as advanced but there will be problems with those, most likely on a smaller level.
post #78 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I haven't received mine yet, but I'm sure most of these quirks will be sorted out with the next firmware update. Most of them sound like things that can be fixed.
post #79 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I gleaned something from the instructions last night I haven't heard before:

If you hold down the eject button for 10 seconds it will "force" the disc to eject.

Thanks for the reply. Tried that too and no dice

post #80 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 04:43 AM

Quote:

I imagine it was just a mistake. It's easy to confuse NBA 2K7 with NBA '07. What does it actually say on back of the NBA 2K7 box?

1080p....

I have it and that is what it lists on the back of the box.
post #81 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Stopped by the local Target to see if they had any Wii's, Salesperson told me 2 PS3's have already come back, hardware crash.

I love this HD stuff!
post #82 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 09:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Besides being ticked at Sony obviously, I'm really disappointed with Gamespot, IGN, etc. who all should have caught this kind of stuff in their time with the PS3. Between this and the 720p/1080i problem it seems they're really doing a poor job.

Hiya,

You must be kidding right??? IGN and the rest of the media-whores probably have gag-orders not to talk about hardware/software crashes...Why create even more of a frenzy when you have one on hand already...that's like throwing gasoline on a roaring fire.

If any of you PS3 owners did your research on the darn machine prior...you probably would have reached the same conclusion I did...wait!!! The information was out there regarding the failure rate of the Blue-Ray Diode...But I can also understand the impending desire to play a new console first...

Don't get me wrong, I was there at launch day with credit card in hand for the PS1, PS2, and the PSP...so it is not that I am a 'fanboy' or anything of the sort. I have been there for each and every launch since the Sega Genesis.

In the end, I hope that each of your machines are 'clean' with simple firmware updates and the sort. Having to send a brand new machine back, regardless of what you spent on it, stinks...

With that said, I am off to pick up my Wii, god I hope this thing doesn't fail...Ugh!!!

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........
post #83 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 09:45 AM

I have seen this kinda mentioned but I have a Mits WS-55857 that I bought 5-6 years ago...I have it hooked up via component cables since my TV doesnt have DVI or HDMI.

When I go into the PS3 settings for video and it asks for the highest resolution that my TV will handle I try and select 1080i which is what my TV is and it wont take it....I try 720p and it wont take that either....the best I can get is 480p which blows.

I dont have any game or movie in the drive atm and thats the results I get.....is this the problem others have mentioned that my TV doesnt support input of 720p and the PS3 doesn't output 1080i so I can't see either of them?

Can this be fixed if you first run it through a receiver first?
post #84 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Had a weird thing happen this morning:

Listened to some music off the hard drive, looked at some photos also off the HD, then tried to launch any of the game demos from the HD and it wouldn't go past the PS3 screen. It would dump back out to the menu screen saying "this operation couldn't be completed" or something like that.

Anyone else see this?

Thankfully, like the Dolby Digital glitch, a reboot cured this.
post #85 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlyn View Post

I have seen this kinda mentioned but I have a Mits WS-55857 that I bought 5-6 years ago...I have it hooked up via component cables since my TV doesnt have DVI or HDMI.

When I go into the PS3 settings for video and it asks for the highest resolution that my TV will handle I try and select 1080i which is what my TV is and it wont take it....I try 720p and it wont take that either....the best I can get is 480p which blows.

I dont have any game or movie in the drive atm and thats the results I get.....is this the problem others have mentioned that my TV doesnt support input of 720p and the PS3 doesn't output 1080i so I can't see either of them?

Can this be fixed if you first run it through a receiver first?

You shouldn't have any problem setting the PS3 to 1080i with your TV if you are using component cables, not the composite cable that came with the console. When you select 1080i in the display setting your screen just goes black?

Unfortunately since your set is an older Mits you'll probably have to run 720p games at 420p until Sony comes up with a fix.
post #86 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 12:10 PM

I figured it out due to another member I have 3 component inputs on the TV but two of them max out at 480p so I just had to switch it to the correct input but correct I will have trouble with any 720p games....hopefully that will be fixed soon.
post #87 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 02:04 PM
AAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetz View Post

1080p....

I have it and that is what it lists on the back of the box.

2K7 definitely supoprts 1080p. It's also one of the main pros of the PS3 version and is being touted by 2k sports as having its first real sports game in
"True HD". I'm a member of the 2k boards and yeah, I think a few people are having problems there two. I'm getting a PS3 whenever I can get my hands on one for MSRP and my first game no doubt will be NBA 2K7, so any updates from you guys would be great. Hopefully this is just a case of defective products? Or a software glitch?
post #88 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAU View Post

2K7 definitely supoprts 1080p. It's also one of the main pros of the PS3 version and is being touted by 2k sports as having its first real sports game in
"True HD". I'm a member of the 2k boards and yeah, I think a few people are having problems there two. I'm getting a PS3 whenever I can get my hands on one for MSRP and my first game no doubt will be NBA 2K7, so any updates from you guys would be great. Hopefully this is just a case of defective products? Or a software glitch?

Well it's odd then because all the rest of the games that are supposed to run in 1080p (Ridge Racer and Marvel) run just fine in that resolution for me. NBA2k7 won't.
post #89 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, my PS3 is running great except for one very strange problem - it crashes about 70% of the time I'm in the middle of writing a text message. Has this happened to anyone else? Other than this niggling problem, the system has been great.
post #90 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1 View Post

Ok, my PS3 is running great except for one very strange problem - it crashes about 70% of the time I'm in the middle of writing a text message. Has this happened to anyone else? Other than this niggling problem, the system has been great.

I've only had 1 lock-up so far and it was while I was entering some text.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page