Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2925 Old 11-26-2007, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by duga6 View Post

OK, I'll try out TVersity and see if that works.

You're right on about the UPnP functionality on the router. If I enable my UPnP on the router, I can't get to the internet....and vice versa. Talk about flaky.

Did anyone have to specify ports for forwarding or triggering?

Hey Duga,

Try setting the port in the TVersity settings under general and then forwarding that port on your router. That could fix your disconnect problem when accessing TVersity using the PS3. For example, I have TVersity set to port 41952...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2925 Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM

OK, tried the port forwarding...and still get the same error.

Now I'm thinking it might be a DNS issue. I logged into my router and copied down the primary and secondary DNS numbers into the PS3. I also copied the Subnet mask and Default router numbers. But now instead of failing on the second step (internet), I fail on the first step (IP address).

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"In life, the only risk we run, is not taking one."
post #903 of 2925 Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, tried the port forwarding...and still get the same error.

Now I'm thinking it might be a DNS issue. I logged into my router and copied down the primary and secondary DNS numbers into the PS3. I also copied the Subnet mask and Default router numbers. But now instead of failing on the second step (internet), I fail on the first step (IP address).

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DNS won't have an effect on why you are seeing your media server. If it has ever found your media server then it is probably working on the IP address and not on any domain name. Routing can be an issue, but there is something funky about the keepalive packets that is probably causing the problems. One other solution for you is to use a different router that has better uPnP support. That will probably be you best chance for a significant change.

-Splints
post #904 of 2925 Old 11-27-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

DNS won't have an effect on why you are seeing your media server. If it has ever found your media server then it is probably working on the IP address and not on any domain name. Routing can be an issue, but there is something funky about the keepalive packets that is probably causing the problems. One other solution for you is to use a different router that has better uPnP support. That will probably be you best chance for a significant change.

-Splints

Getting a new router is an option, albeit a drastic one. I have the Linksys WRT54G with updated firmware. It should be working correctly.

But if worse comes to worse, I'll have to buy myself an "early" X-mas gift.

post #905 of 2925 Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Getting a new router is an option, albeit a drastic one. I have the Linksys WRT54G with updated firmware. It should be working correctly.

But if worse comes to worse, I'll have to buy myself an "early" X-mas gift.

heh, yeah well uPnP is fraught with problems and you won't notice till you try something that requires it like the ps3' media link capabilities. The other thing to try out which might cost the same is to get a powerline connection so you have wired ethernet and remove the wireless connection out of the picture and see how it functions.

Good luck!

-Splints
post #906 of 2925 Old 11-28-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:

heh, yeah well uPnP is fraught with problems and you won't notice till you try something that requires it like the ps3' media link capabilities. The other thing to try out which might cost the same is to get a powerline connection so you have wired ethernet and remove the wireless connection out of the picture and see how it functions.

Good luck!

-Splints

Yup. My UPnP stands for Unilateral Piece of Needless Poop. It's about as usefull as a helicopter at a hot-air balloon fest.

I've also been researching that powerline option. I believe my Belkin line conditioner/surge protector has a "Home Powerline Enabled" plug. Excellent advise. Thanks.

post #907 of 2925 Old 11-30-2007, 05:29 AM

anyone have COD4, I cannot play online, but Warhawk plays fine online?
So it is prob the game server PSN, or maybe my router blocking it?
post #908 of 2925 Old 11-30-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Hello, I just got a PS3 and the lack of good documentation in the box is depressing. It seems like the system has all this potential and power but its tricky to actually unlock it!

I have a couple questions off the top of my head. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Does anyone have media server working with WMP11 + Actiontec M1424WR router from FiOS? I have had minor problems with that router on 360... just want to see if I need to do anything special to get the media server working.

2. Friends list... I can see the person's icon, what game they are playing, and... that's it. I know the network isn't as robust as the 360 but is that all there really is to it? The profile section lists ID, Online Name (can you set an online name different from the ID you set when you made the account), and language.

3. "in-game XMB"... is this a pipe dream or what? PS button just gives me Quit Game, Turn off System/Controllers, etc. Do games normally use your friends list at the least or are most games now still on the seperate friends list thing?

4. Motorstorm, Warhawk... do I really have to click through the EULA *every time* I play? They can't be serious can they?

5. I have it set to 1080p but I have read some games are superior in 720p. Does the system upscale to your selected resolution automatically or just display in native res no matter what it is set to (sort of like the 360)? I thought an advantage of consoles was avoiding fussy resolution nonsense. Are there per-game profiles at the least?

I think its an awesome system, but clearly some of this user-friendly stuff needs work.
post #909 of 2925 Old 11-30-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

It was working fine yesterday. Running 1.94. Do not have hooked-up to net/Media Stick/Flash Drive.

1. Turned off main power - did not work.
2. Did system reset like Sony guy said.
3. Tried reloading game/ inserted/re-inserted game.
4. Sony guy said to update 2.01 and it might work again.

A). Bought it at Costco.

My biggest/question concern is if it needs to be replaced can I still save my Saved games by transferring to external drive.

Please Help. Thanks.

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #910 of 2925 Old 11-30-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

^^

Spoon_burner over at the official PS forums posted this:

"Is it not reading any games or blu-ray disc, try loading your PS2 games. If your ps2 games work, your blu-ray optical drive is busted. You can either call sony support and explain the problem; they would send you a new one or go to costco for an exchange."

I figured this was the problem. Thanks anyways.

EDIT: My PS3 is going back to Costco.

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #911 of 2925 Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know why my friends list & messages are gone?

Tried Googling and didn't come up with anything.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #912 of 2925 Old 12-05-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Hello, I just got a PS3 and the lack of good documentation in the box is depressing. It seems like the system has all this potential and power but its tricky to actually unlock it!

I have a couple questions off the top of my head. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Does anyone have media server working with WMP11 + Actiontec M1424WR router from FiOS? I have had minor problems with that router on 360... just want to see if I need to do anything special to get the media server working.

2. Friends list... I can see the person's icon, what game they are playing, and... that's it. I know the network isn't as robust as the 360 but is that all there really is to it? The profile section lists ID, Online Name (can you set an online name different from the ID you set when you made the account), and language.

3. "in-game XMB"... is this a pipe dream or what? PS button just gives me Quit Game, Turn off System/Controllers, etc. Do games normally use your friends list at the least or are most games now still on the seperate friends list thing?

4. Motorstorm, Warhawk... do I really have to click through the EULA *every time* I play? They can't be serious can they?

5. I have it set to 1080p but I have read some games are superior in 720p. Does the system upscale to your selected resolution automatically or just display in native res no matter what it is set to (sort of like the 360)? I thought an advantage of consoles was avoiding fussy resolution nonsense. Are there per-game profiles at the least?

I think its an awesome system, but clearly some of this user-friendly stuff needs work.

1. Get TVersity, WMP11 is fraught with issues and the uPnP on most cheap routers (actiontec qualifies in spades) could also be suspect. Try enabling uPnP and get TVersity and see how things go then. Other options include setting static IP's for both the ps3 and your media server, but I doubt that will help things.

2. Friend's list, what you see is what you get. Hopefully Home will provide a better interface in the future.

3. in-game XMB is a future feature request, no set timeframe or guarantee that it will appear.

4. Yes the EULA needs to be clicked every time, on-line gaming seems to be getting more lawyer based than gamer based.

5. Leave it at 1080p, games that are natively at 720p will output at 720p so you will get the original native resolution. You won't have to worry about this.

Hope that helps.

-Splints
post #913 of 2925 Old 12-05-2007, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty L View Post

Anyone know why my friends list & messages are gone?

Tried Googling and didn't come up with anything.

Did you format or replace your HDD or something? I always maintained my friends and messages as I upgraded firmware so I know that isn't it.

-Splints
post #914 of 2925 Old 12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you format or replace your HDD or something? I always maintained my friends and messages as I upgraded firmware so I know that isn't it.

-Splints

Ah I think I fingered it out... my bro sold his Japanese PS3 and my account info was on there. New guy probably logged in as me and deleted my buddies

What freaked me out was when I was playing Tekken it would randomly boot me off and say someone else logged in as me. The guy actually emailed me today asking for me pwd since I changed it yesterday. I pointed him to this:

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...ers/index.html

I think he needs to create a brand new user and make a new master PSN account. I don't see why a PS3 should be locked into one master account.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #915 of 2925 Old 12-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Hello all, this is the first time I've posted here but, i'm stumped on this issue. Have not been able to see any resolutions here on the particular issue that I'm having. I just bought a PS3 80g model. I have it connected to my HK AVR-247 via HDMI and from there I have it connected to my philips tv (HDMI) which I believe only supports up to 1080i, games I've tried all work fine as well as playing dvds. I got a blu-ray disc as an early christmas present (DBZ movie), when i put the blu-ray disc into the ps3 it does not detect it at all! not sure what could be going on. So i decided to contact the experts of the AVSforum.

so in summary BD disc not detected at all by PS3! Help!
post #916 of 2925 Old 12-06-2007, 12:43 PM

my boss has a ps3 and his tv is 1080i or 720p but dosent have hdmi port but he has a cable box that dose can he plug the hdmi in the cable box and at least get 1080i on his ps3
post #917 of 2925 Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillznick View Post

my boss has a ps3 and his tv is 1080i or 720p but dosent have hdmi port but he has a cable box that dose can he plug the hdmi in the cable box and at least get 1080i on his ps3

HDCP encryption does not allow HDMI to analog (component or otherwise) conversions. All devices in the HDMI chain need to be validated and utilize the HDCP encryption. Sorry!

-Splints
post #918 of 2925 Old 12-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use optical for my 5.1 reciever. On ps3 menu I choose Dts but when watching spidey3 bluray I only get stereo signal. Is my reciever to old to support this format? It's a sony str-de875 with no hdmi inputs but says digital DTS on it. From PS3 menu if I choose dolby digital 5.1 instead of DTS, I get digital 5.1 sound when watching spidey but audio bitrate is only 48 khtz 640 kbps. I thought I could get bitrate twice this amount with blueray movie?
post #919 of 2925 Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipJigs View Post

New PS3 80gb unit - while playing Motorstorm, a few times the audio and video both just went blank for about 3 seconds, then came back on. This also happened later while watching a DVD.

PS3 connected to a Sony SS2000 via HDMI, and from there to a Sharp LCD 1080p panel via HDMI. All equipment is on a power filtered battery backup unit. All connection are secure. Also, the PS3 is in a well ventialted space and does not power down during the blackouts.

My first thought would point to something going on with HDMI because both audio and video are affected. What may be causing this?

Hey SlipJigs I also have experienced this but with the Bluray movie Donnie Brasco. Both the audio and video went blank for about 2 seconds numerous times so I returned the disc and got another copy and occured only once during the movie. It hasn't happened with Motorstorm but am also wondering what is causing this. I have the ps3 connected through HDMI to my Onkyo 605 which is then connected to my DLP (Samsung HLN4365W1) by an HDMI to DVI cable.
post #920 of 2925 Old 12-09-2007, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

I use optical for my 5.1 reciever. On ps3 menu I choose Dts but when watching spidey3 bluray I only get stereo signal. Is my reciever to old to support this format? It's a sony str-de875 with no hdmi inputs but says digital DTS on it. From PS3 menu if I choose dolby digital 5.1 instead of DTS, I get digital 5.1 sound when watching spidey but audio bitrate is only 48 khtz 640 kbps. I thought I could get bitrate twice this amount with blueray movie?

Well you have LPCM, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby Digital 5.1 as audio options on the disc, so unless you have a HDMI connection, you won't get the high quality lossless audio of LPCM and TrueHD and only have the standard Dolby Digital.

DTS is not a requirement on all discs, so setting DTS on your receiver won't help.

Hope that makes sense.

-Splints
post #921 of 2925 Old 12-09-2007, 10:17 PM

Wondering if you guys could help me... I am out of town and my wife has been using the PS3 to watch DVDs... Tonight she calls me stating that it will not play any Blu-Rays nor Standard DVDs... It was working fine and then it would only play the previews and not the movie and now it will not even show a DVD being in the unit...

Any info would be much appreciated...
post #922 of 2925 Old 12-09-2007, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnatlas View Post

Wondering if you guys could help me... I am out of town and my wife has been using the PS3 to watch DVDs... Tonight she calls me stating that it will not play any Blu-Rays nor Standard DVDs... It was working fine and then it would only play the previews and not the movie and now it will not even show a DVD being in the unit...

Any info would be much appreciated...

You can have your wife reset the ps3 by holding the power button for 10+ seconds until multiple beeps which reset the ps3' settings. If that doesn't work, it sounds like your ps3 is failing, give a call to Sony support.

-Splints
post #923 of 2925 Old 12-10-2007, 06:55 AM

Hi, I have a PS3 hooked up to a Sony 1292 CRT projector and am having trouble with it synching to a 480i/p signal. The projector goes all disorientated and then shuts down with an error code of 08 which is for V-Stop according to the manual. It plays 1080p fine and looks awesome but when I try to play "extras" content on bluray discs which is at the lower resolution it plays up. I am running one of John Wyman's DVI input cards. Anyone else have this problem and has solved it?
post #924 of 2925 Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is optical limited to 640 kbps Or is my reciever too old? From the ps3 menu itself under audio options does DTS stand for newer format? Not just the older DTS that I thought my reciever could deal with. Is that why when I select it instead of dolbydigital surround- I loose surround sound?
post #925 of 2925 Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:

You can have your wife reset the ps3 by holding the power button for 10+ seconds until multiple beeps which reset the ps3' settings. If that doesn't work, it sounds like your ps3 is failing, give a call to Sony support.

-Splints

I believe that the PS3 optical drive has failed as no DVDs will play, I had her try a game disk and nothing... Looks like I need to call Sony
post #926 of 2925 Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe that the PS3 optical drive has failed as no DVDs will play, I had her try a game disk and nothing... Looks like I need to call Sony

That sucks to hear, sorry. What model PS3 is it, and how long have you had it?

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #927 of 2925 Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 View Post

That sucks to hear, sorry. What model PS3 is it, and how long have you had it?

The 40gig and I believe less then 30days... I need to check my receipt...
post #928 of 2925 Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 40gig and I believe less then 30days... I need to check my receipt...

Bring it back to the place you bought it, your CC has an extended warranty typically if your just outside that window. Good luck!

-Splints
post #929 of 2925 Old 12-11-2007, 02:25 PM

This is why I buy things from Costco. If it's defective, you take it back and the girl behind the register goes "Eh, whatever" and hands you a new PS3. Circuit City is going the way of the dinosaur, and it's mostly poor customer service that is doing it.
post #930 of 2925 Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

CC = Credit Card, not Circuit City. Extended CC Warranty beyond the standard PS3 warranty is what I was referring to.

-Splints
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page