post #991 of 2925 Old 12-30-2007, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Steve View Post

I live in the country, no dsl (sucks bad!). But, i pay handsomely for satellite internet. Problem is, my new ps3 won't connect via linksys, it times out. Funny that my wii connects w/out any problems. I don't know what to do, any ideas?

On a side note, that mp3 earth visualizer is very cool.

See post 983 above.

JohnG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2925 Old 12-30-2007, 08:57 AM

Liked: 10
I read an article on the Internet a couple of weeks ago that said a better picture was gotten from the PS3 if the Display Settings for RGB from Limited to Full and Super White from Off to On were selected. I tried this, this morning and was not impressed. I am using 1080p output with a Panasonic TH-50PZ700U.

Has anyone else tried these settings?

Tim
post #993 of 2925 Old 12-30-2007, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post

I read an article on the Internet a couple of weeks ago that said a better picture was gotten from the PS3 if the Display Settings for RGB from Limited to Full and Super White from Off to On were selected. I tried this, this morning and was not impressed. I am using 1080p output with a Panasonic TH-50PZ700U.

Your display has to have these features in order for the settings to do anything.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #994 of 2925 Old 12-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all.

I am wanting to use the new PS3 as an internet browser for my wife to use w/ the new Samsung LN-T5271 LCD set I just got from CC last week..

This is a surprise for her as she would love to use the HDTV for viewing her church bible video studies..

I am just setting up the PS3 for Wired Internet. I was able to pull up my wife's church website at:

http://www.harvestreno.org/messages.asp

Under this website, there are many online bible studies that my wife normally does on the 15" LCD desktop.

I am able to go to the site and select any video in high or medium, the PS3 then asks if I want to load the plug-in. It looks like it is loading a Java Plug-in for this display.

I tried using this plug-in, I selected the 'x' (YES) option, but when the next window came up, the audio just worked (the window was a black screen w/ no video).

I retried the video and opted to not select the Plug-In. The same effect came out w/ no video, just audio..

When I tried this on a Desktop PC, the program called for AdobeFlash to display this video (not Java)..

QUESTIONS:

1) Is there anyway to get AdobeFlash onto the PS3 in some way or at least have the capability to select it as a plug-in?

2) Is there anyway aroung this??

3) Is Sony opting to have more Plug-Ins allowed in a future FW update?

Thanks much

(Zman) #24 Jeff Gordon in 2014..
post #995 of 2925 Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 57
just got the PS3 for a gift.. Is the optical output the only way to get sound to my receiver or is there a coaxial output on the PS3?

post #996 of 2925 Old 12-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

just got the PS3 for a gift.. Is the optical output the only way to get sound to my receiver or is there a coaxial output on the PS3?

I found that the only output looked to be Digital Optical.. I was expecting the unit to have a Digital COAX also, but no..

(Zman) #24 Jeff Gordon in 2014..
post #997 of 2925 Old 12-31-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

Composite/component, optical, and HDMI only for audio. No digital coax.

Couple of possible solutions:

-run hdmi to your tv, then coax from your tv to your receiver

-get a digital coax to optical converter (not sure how well these work, though)

post #998 of 2925 Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 AM

First time posting in this thread...

I have had my PS3 a little over a year now and have not really had any problems. the occasional freeze-up requiring me to reboot but thats it. I mainly use my PS3 as a Blu Ray player (bought one game, Resistance, when I purchased the system...and just recently bought GH3 for it.)

My connections have not changed throughout the year: HDMI from the PS3 to a Pioneer Elite AVR and HDMI from the AVR to a Sony XBR2 LCD. Very simple hookup.

Well, its been a week or so since I had watched a movie on the system and between that time was when I purchased Guitar Hero 3. When I played the game, I had to do a system update (from the game- I was not connected to the web) to get the game to play.
Well today my son wanted to watch IceAge so I popped the Blu Ray in...and am now getting a "unsupported signal; check device output" message on my Sony.

I tried 3 other Blu Rays and am getting the same message over and over- the video is playing, as you can hear the audio, but there is no video. Seemingly this is an issue with the TV rather than the PS3, but as I have mentioned previously, this exact setup worked without a hitch for the last 12 months until I did a firmware update on the PS3.

Anybody else come across this problem?
post #999 of 2925 Old 01-03-2008, 12:33 PM

How do you remove the scrolling message bar from the ps3 main screen.

Thanks in advance
post #1000 of 2925 Old 01-03-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcraft View Post

Well, its been a week or so since I had watched a movie on the system and between that time was when I purchased Guitar Hero 3. When I played the game, I had to do a system update (from the game- I was not connected to the web) to get the game to play.
Well today my son wanted to watch IceAge so I popped the Blu Ray in...and am now getting a "unsupported signal; check device output" message on my Sony.

I tried 3 other Blu Rays and am getting the same message over and over- the video is playing, as you can hear the audio, but there is no video. Seemingly this is an issue with the TV rather than the PS3, but as I have mentioned previously, this exact setup worked without a hitch for the last 12 months until I did a firmware update on the PS3.

Anybody else come across this problem?

No. Guitar Hero 3 updated my PS3 as well, but it did not affect the ability to play Blu-Ray movies. I have since updated to 2.10 on my own, also without problems.

Tim
post #1001 of 2925 Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by redley78 View Post

My ps3 works perfectly in game modes and watching a non-bluray movie. but when i put in spiderman3 in bluray, it goes blank but i can still hear the audio.
Does anyone know if you have to change the settings for a bluray movie or what the deal is with this?

This seems to be happening to me now. I tested out 3 discs (blade runner disc 1 and 5, and bad santa) and it is doing it. This is the first time I have tested blu-ray since the 2.1 update! Any help?
post #1002 of 2925 Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 AM

Hi there Guys,
Is there a way I can get back to using the composit signal after setting up HDMI?? I had to change TV in a hurry but can not see anything on the screen. So are there some buttons I can press to get back to default settings??

Thanks
post #1003 of 2925 Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM

Suppy,

I get the same thing on my LN-T4066F set. I was told by people in the other threads here for the Samsung sets that this is considered normal because it is scaling the source to the television set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suppy7 View Post

Mine does this on my Sammy 4071

But it NEVER comes back, it will lose handshake indefinitaly

And then after trying various things to try to get it to recognize again, it will come back, but it is VERY VERY ANNOYING

Anyone else have really bad Handshake issues?

LCD TV: Samsung LN-T4066F
HD Receiver: Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
HTIB: Onkyo HT-S650
DVD: Samsung BD-D5700 Blu-ray
post #1004 of 2925 Old 01-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent_L View Post

Hi there Guys,
Is there a way I can get back to using the composit signal after setting up HDMI?? I had to change TV in a hurry but can not see anything on the screen. So are there some buttons I can press to get back to default settings??

Thanks

Hold down the power button (the soft button on the front not the hard switch on the back) for about 5 seconds.

PSN brakel

post #1005 of 2925 Old 01-04-2008, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
is there a tutorial on how to connect PS3 to PC over crossover LAN cable? I have done it successfully in the past, but now seemed to be having problems.
post #1006 of 2925 Old 01-04-2008, 06:05 PM

Thanks for that, I knew I could count on the forum
post #1007 of 2925 Old 01-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Hello guys,

I have Panasonic 42PY70 (same with Pz70) Full HD plasma and it accepts 1080p input. However, when I connect 40 Gig PS3 to my TV I cannot assign 1080p output to display. it only gives 1080i. I updated Ps3 firmware to 2.10 but it does not help also.

Please help to resolve the issue.
Thanks,
post #1008 of 2925 Old 01-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

I just got Ratchet and Clank and started to play it and I get an error that tells me I don't sufficient space to install the 419mb needed to run the game. This is a fairly new 40gig system. It says under the system info that I have 28gig free.

A quick search says this is a known issue and I need to delete or add about 500mb to my HDD and it should work. I can't find any way to add or delete files from the HDD. I have looked everywhere in the menus and I can't find it. Can you please point me to how to do this?

I did try downloading a demo that was 1.2gig and installed it and that didn't seem to work.

Another question, if I format the HDD do I lose the actual Operating System or is it stored somewhere else? What in the world is using up nearly 10gig on the HDD?

XBL/PSN: wirechild
post #1009 of 2925 Old 01-05-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechild73 View Post

I just got Ratchet and Clank and started to play it and I get an error that tells me I don't sufficient space to install the 419mb needed to run the game. This is a fairly new 40gig system. It says under the system info that I have 28gig free.

Back when Insomniac first announced the bug and workaround, I think they said you have to install/delete right around 500Mb. From their wording, I never knew whether that meant ~500Mb or >500Mb.

post #1010 of 2925 Old 01-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Back when Insomniac first announced the bug and workaround, I think they said you have to install/delete right around 500Mb. From their wording, I never knew whether that meant ~500Mb or >500Mb.

How do you delete 500Mb? I can't find any way to access the stuff on the HDD.

XBL/PSN: wirechild
post #1011 of 2925 Old 01-06-2008, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechild73 View Post

How do you delete 500Mb? I can't find any way to access the stuff on the HDD.

It's not like a pc HDD where you have some file manager. It depends on what you're trying to delete. If you're deleting demos, just push the triangle button when you've selected the demo you want to delete. It gives you a list of options on the far right. One of those options is "delete."

If you want to delete any game data (stuff that some games save to the hdd), go to game data icon (in the game bar) and go to the particular file. If you want to delete save data, go to the save data icon (also in the game bar).

post #1012 of 2925 Old 01-06-2008, 11:18 PM

I have had my PS3 for about 3 weeks now. 3 times it has froze up (audio still playing/continuing) and the remote goes dead wont respond. I have to shutdown the system and reboot. Is this NORMAL?
post #1013 of 2925 Old 01-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

For the love of god maybe I will get an answere here. I just got a PS3 last night and its been a nightmare ever since. I have the PS3 hooked up to my samsung 5265f via hdmi for video. Set to 1080p. For audio I have an optical cord run from my ps3 to my receiver. For some reason my screen flickers. The image doest dissapear it just gets skewed for a second. This happens ALL THE TIME. During dvds, blu rays, games and while in the main menu. How do I fix this? Id like to keep the PS3 but for 500 bucks Ill return it if this isnt a fixable issue.

Here is a vid showing my EXACT ISSUE. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLiQQRd3ryU
post #1014 of 2925 Old 01-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Could this be happening because I dont have a 1.3a cable?
post #1015 of 2925 Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I would get a monoprice hdmi cable to test, if that doesn't work I would bring the ps3 back for swapping.

-Splints
post #1016 of 2925 Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

I would get a monoprice hdmi cable to test, if that doesn't work I would bring the ps3 back for swapping.

-Splints

Thats looking like my only answer is to return the damn thing. Ive seen TONS of forum posts and videos showing this problem but no one ever posts a fix in any of them
post #1017 of 2925 Old 01-07-2008, 12:32 PM

I'm sorry if this issue has been addressed in this thread or not. But does anyone have any issues with trying to stream too much music to their ps3?

I get a DLNA error everytime I try to bring up my library from my pc. This happens on wmp and tversity, however, it works fine with my laptop, which has substantially less music (40gb vs. 600gb on my pc).

basically, I know it is a size issue, but does anyone here know what the limit is?
FWIW, my 360 is able to pull it all up, really pisses me off haha.
post #1018 of 2925 Old 01-07-2008, 03:51 PM

I purchased my 40G PS3 about 3 weeks ago and am having a video problem.

If I leave the system on for a few hours, I'll start to get thin blue lines that run across the screen, similar to scan lines. However, unlike scan lines, they do not always go all the way across and sometimes curve. Generally if I turn the system off and then turn it back on, the lines will go away. They also seem to go away for the most part when I play a movie or game.

While it is only a minor inconvenience right now, I have heard about issues with the 40g PS3s with Foxconn boards and just want to get some opinions as to whether or not this is a PS3 issue or something else.

The system is connected to my Westing House LVM-42w2 via a HDMI->DVI cable (1080p is only supported on the DVI ports) and I have an optical audio cable going to my receiver.

Before getting the PS3 I used the same cable, connected to the same port, to hook up my HD DVR box and never had any video issues. Any thoughts?
post #1019 of 2925 Old 01-08-2008, 06:20 AM

Liked: 11
I have been struggling with these issues also. With Media Player (MP), it has been hit and miss. Sometimes I get it to work (for awhile), but eventually I get the DLNS Protocol 4405 error. I have also seen a 505 error.

I installed TVersity last night. First attempt worked much better then MP. Was able to peruse folders and such with no DLNA errors. But I also noticed it did not bring in all of my MP3 subfolders. I loaded my PC D:\\MP3 folder into the library, which has many subfolders for different artists and music content. It showed only about 12 first-level subfolders.

I am suspecting similar in that it is a limitation somewhere because of the sizes or numbers of folders being presented. I just don't know enough about PCs to have an answer as yet.

I do hope these Media Center issues can be resolved because I think this is one of the great 'additional' features of this gaming/BluRay device.

I have heard that the Nero-8 Home media enter is good. Can anybody confirm if that works flawlessly in this regard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone93 View Post

I'm sorry if this issue has been addressed in this thread or not. But does anyone have any issues with trying to stream too much music to their ps3?

I get a DLNA error everytime I try to bring up my library from my pc. This happens on wmp and tversity, however, it works fine with my laptop, which has substantially less music (40gb vs. 600gb on my pc).

basically, I know it is a size issue, but does anyone here know what the limit is?
FWIW, my 360 is able to pull it all up, really pisses me off haha.

post #1020 of 2925 Old 01-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB123 View Post

I have been struggling with these issues also. With Media Player (MP), it has been hit and miss. Sometimes I get it to work (for awhile), but eventually I get the DLNS Protocol 4405 error. I have also seen a 505 error.

I installed TVersity last night. First attempt worked much better then MP. Was able to peruse folders and such with no DLNA errors. But I also noticed it did not bring in all of my MP3 subfolders. I loaded my PC D:\\MP3 folder into the library, which has many subfolders for different artists and music content. It showed only about 12 first-level subfolders.

I am suspecting similar in that it is a limitation somewhere because of the sizes or numbers of folders being presented. I just don't know enough about PCs to have an answer as yet.

I do hope these Media Center issues can be resolved because I think this is one of the great 'additional' features of this gaming/BluRay device.

I have heard that the Nero-8 Home media enter is good. Can anybody confirm if that works flawlessly in this regard?

Nero 8 is a HUGE piece of bloatware. Save your money and buy a Maxtor Shared Storage II NAS with the Direct Media Streaming feature. Works great, 320Gb version ~$100. Other sizes available. No PC to worry about. You can use whatever you want to manage your music on the NAS and the PS3 doesn't care.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page