PS3 problems and setup issues thread! - Page 37 - AVS Forum
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last
PlayStation Area > PS3 problems and setup issues thread!
Rbuchina's Avatar Rbuchina 01:54 PM 01-31-2008
dgburns

Thanks for the feedback.

When I read the manual about types of video supported by the PS3 AVI was included and I thought this would be a no brainer. I hate codecs. Probably because I do not understand them. I may have the ability for the editing software to modify them.

Everything else is great so far.

Ray

dgburns's Avatar dgburns 02:00 PM 01-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbuchina View Post

dgburns

Thanks for the feedback.

When I read the manual about types of video supported by the PS3 AVI was included and I thought this would be a no brainer. I hate codecs. Probably because I do not understand them. I may have the ability for the editing software to modify them.

Everything else is great so far.

Ray

Lots of people like PS3 Video9. It's not been updated for the divx change, but it's good at converting your avi's in batches to mp4's that your PS3 can play.
confidenceman's Avatar confidenceman 02:31 PM 01-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanR2N View Post

Well, I do have a crappy reciever, it's a Samsung home-theater-in-a-box (model HT-SK5). It's 4 years old now, but it has does ok for what I've need so far. I do know that it supports dolby DTS and Dolby Digital. I really don't know how to tell it what the source type is though. Now that I have a nicer TV the next thing I'm looking to get is a real receiver. I know that I can switch my audio mode from 5.1, Prologic, Prologic II, Matrix, Cinema, and Music. Other than that I don't think I can change anything. I've setup my PS3 to output DTS and 5.1 (along with the PCM defaults) so I guess it could be that the reciever has to detect what type of audio it is getting. Oh well, I guess at this point I won't worry too much about it. But it does give me some ideas on things to test. Like when the audio goes out of sync, I've always just paused the video and unpaused and it will sync back up. I'm going to try shutting off the reciever and see it if re-syncs when I start it back up. If it does resync then I can pretty much be sure it's the reciever and not the PS3.

Does your receiver switch between audio modes automatically based on the signal it's receiving? If not, which mode do you have it set to when you're playing your PS3?

Also, you could try switching to bitstream audio since you're using an optical audio connection and see if that helps.

The easy check, of course, is to hook your PS3 directly to your display and send audio to your display in addition to video, but it sounds to me like something on the receiver end.
maximuslcd's Avatar maximuslcd 09:26 AM 02-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

There's quite a bit of info on this topic elsewhere, but quickly: the PS3 will output source material at its ideal, natively rendered resolution. If the console knows your display isn't compatible with that resolution, it will put it out at a resolution that is compatible with your display.

For example, if you have a 1080p display, BR-Ds will be output at 1080p. If you play CoD4, it'll output to 720p (even though it can be scaled up to 1080p).

You can, however, force the PS3 to output games at higher than native resolutions, but if the individual game doesn't have the capacity to do so, it'll revert down to 480p. Regardless, since your display is native at 1080p, something will have to scale the material (your display, an AVR, the PS3). As it's configured now, your display is doing the scaling.

Unlike the 360, the PS3 can't scale everything you want it to. It only has partial scaling abilities, so developers have to include scaling capabilities in individual games.

If you're unhappy with your display's ability to scale 720p to 1080p, then try forcing the PS3 to do so (by unchecking the other resolutions in the display settings menu). Compare the two, and see which you prefer. But remember that not all games are able to be scaled internally by the PS3; if you force 1080p in those cases, the games will be output at 480p.

Thanks for the very informative answer, I appreciate it. I think I'll just leave well enoughj alone and deal with the 720, its not really a problem I was just curious.
DangerousK's Avatar DangerousK 07:11 PM 02-01-2008
Has anyone had a problem with their PS3 remote no longer functioning with the system?

My remote was working fine today, now all of a sudden it is not responding at all. I changed the batteries, and that did absolutely nothing.

Any ideas?
t-ba's Avatar t-ba 08:41 PM 02-01-2008
I have searched the interent for a solution to my problem. The issue that I am encountering is that there is video but absolutely no audio when i play any games. However, there's video and audio when i'm in the main XMB menu. This was not a problem before as i have played the same games before and it had audio. But now, all of a sudden all of in-game audio is lost.

I connect my ps3 to my tv directly through an HDMI cable. I have a 46" Sony Bravia KDL46V3000.

When i tried using the AV cable provided, there's sound and audio. But it is very frustrating as the video is only at a standard resolution.

Is there something wrong with my ps3 or is it simly something wrong my HDMI cable?
danforth's Avatar danforth 10:17 PM 02-01-2008
I've searched this forum, but have found no similar problems. So I apologize if this has been covered.

I recently purchased a PS3. The first thing that I did was install YDL 5.02 on it to avoid having to transfer saved data elsewhere while formatting. The installation seemed to be a success. However, I am unable to open any sites in the Firefox browser.

I'm connected via ethernet, so it doesn't have anything to do with wireless issues. I set it to DHCP, and it successfully recognized the IP, DNS, and secondary DNS addresses. The browser on the PS3 OS works fine.

I've tried many times to open other sites (mainly Google or a Google search). After numerous failed attempts (over the course of 3-4 hours), it suddenly worked. I restarted the console to confirm that it was finally working, and it had stopped working again. I checked all of the settings, which were exactly as they were whenever it was working. Nothing..

As of now, I'm downloading 5.01 in hopes of better results. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Any suggestions before I install a different version?

Thanks in advance for any info!
coneinc's Avatar coneinc 08:19 AM 02-02-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousK View Post

Has anyone had a problem with their PS3 remote no longer functioning with the system?

My remote was working fine today, now all of a sudden it is not responding at all. I changed the batteries, and that did absolutely nothing.

Any ideas?

try this take the batterys out of the remote. then cycle each key three times you have to do that to every key. then put the batterys back in and try the remote
splinters's Avatar splinters 12:44 AM 02-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ba View Post

I have searched the interent for a solution to my problem. The issue that I am encountering is that there is video but absolutely no audio when i play any games. However, there's video and audio when i'm in the main XMB menu. This was not a problem before as i have played the same games before and it had audio. But now, all of a sudden all of in-game audio is lost.

I connect my ps3 to my tv directly through an HDMI cable. I have a 46" Sony Bravia KDL46V3000.

When i tried using the AV cable provided, there's sound and audio. But it is very frustrating as the video is only at a standard resolution.

Is there something wrong with my ps3 or is it simly something wrong my HDMI cable?

This might be an issue with your audio settings on your ps3. If you are using your tv speakers and have all the audio settings checked (5.1, 7.1, etc), you may have audio problems since your tv can't decode 5.1 and 7.1 content. Go through the audio menu and see if that helps.

If you're using an AVR, I'm have no idea...

-Splints
Pilot12's Avatar Pilot12 09:55 AM 02-06-2008
This is my last shot at fixing this before the Sony return box gets here.

My brand new PS3 80Gb occasionally freezes up, not every time I use it, but usually. Never in the same spot on a disc and if take the disc out and start over it might be better or worse;

With a BD, the system usualy completely crashes showing a green screen requiring a complete reboot.

With a DVD it's usually just a simple video freeze while the audio keeps going, requiring either a disc removal or sometimes just backing out of the movie and going back in.

With a CD or SACd, the screen saver will freeze, the PS3 quits responding to the controller and the audio keeps going, sometimes repeating the same track over and over.

So far Motor Storm (my only game) hasn't froze, but I haven't played it for more than a few minutes at a time.

When the video freezes, usually the controller quits working too, that's why I have to eject the disc or reboot. Sometimes the controller still works and I can just back out to the main PS3 menu and start over from there.

I'm running HDMI out to my AVR and HDMI from there to the TV. I haven't tried the other cables because if the problem lies there, I'm sending it back anyway.

I've done everything I can find in the manual, online, and that Sony support suggested. No help. Any new ideas before I send it in? Thanks!
metal83's Avatar metal83 10:00 AM 02-06-2008
just got my ps3 yesterday, posted this in a couple diff places, but my menu just froze on me today, is this a normal once in a while thing, or should i be worried since this is only the second time i have turned this on?
splinters's Avatar splinters 04:25 PM 02-06-2008
I would recommend to both of you (pilot12 and metal83) to return your ps3' before the warranty is up and get a new one. Freezing every so often (once a month with heavy use) is acceptable, otherwise you have to wonder if it just wasn't built right.

If you haven't already update to version 2.1 of the firmware as well.

-Splints
confidenceman's Avatar confidenceman 05:33 PM 02-06-2008
with the addition of the news feeder to the xmb with firmware 2.0, some people were reporting freezes in the xmb. supposedly 2.1 fixed that. if it's still freezing after you've updated to the latest firmware, do as splints says.

freezes may be "acceptable" but they aren't "normal," even occasional (once a month) ones. I've owned my PS3 for over six months, use it heavily, and the only freezes I've had were software related (Warhawk, for example).

If you're getting unaccountable freezes after the latest firmware update and you're still under Sony's 1-year warranty send it in.
Pilot12's Avatar Pilot12 05:41 PM 02-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

If you're getting unaccountable freezes after the latest firmware update and you're still under Sony's 1-year warranty send it in.

Thanks guys...that's what I'll do. Just hate the hassle. And now I'm addicted to BD and SACDs and don't want to go 2 weeks without.

You know, if it wasn't for all the glowing reviews on this forum I never would have bought the PS3; I've had 2 Sony DVD players over the years and they both sucked. Sure hope I get a good "refurbished" unit for my mone I gave for a brand new on. Ok, 'nuff venting, onward. Thanks again.
metal83's Avatar metal83 09:17 PM 02-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot12 View Post

Thanks guys...that's what I'll do. Just hate the hassle. And now I'm addicted to BD and SACDs and don't want to go 2 weeks without.

You know, if it wasn't for all the glowing reviews on this forum I never would have bought the PS3; I've had 2 Sony DVD players over the years and they both sucked. Sure hope I get a good "refurbished" unit for my mone I gave for a brand new on. Ok, 'nuff venting, onward. Thanks again.

yeah thanks guys, i will exchange mine where i bought it....it just froze on me 3 times in a row, and always seems to happen after i push the back button to get out of certain settings....time for a new one i guess. hope the next one works right.
schnurmac's Avatar schnurmac 05:49 PM 02-08-2008
Ok I have looked for an answer and no luck. My PS3 when playing BR movies just looks weird. Reds, greens, and blues are real bright almost like a negative exposure. I saw another post guy said same thing but no answer. I cant watch another movie this way. I have two HDDVD player and they blow the PS3 away in picture quality. I have been telling myself nothings wrong. It has to be. I have switched back and forth from RGB to the other and automatic. Same results. Please help.
Heres my set up.
PS3 HDMI ( Monster ) to Onkyo 805.
805 HDMI ( Monster ) to Mitz 1080p set.
What settings on PS3 should I have. Games look awesome! Movies look bad.
DNA02's Avatar DNA02 09:51 PM 02-08-2008
Hi, hope someone can help me...

I have the Sony 46XBR4 hook up the PS3 using HDMI 1.3 cable, when i'm playing Enchanted Arms, the edge of the charaters looks really ugly, like jagsaw, even with GT5 Prolog demo, the lines of the car is like jagsaw too! any suggestion to fix this problem?
confidenceman's Avatar confidenceman 01:34 AM 02-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac View Post

Ok I have looked for an answer and no luck. My PS3 when playing BR movies just looks weird. Reds, greens, and blues are real bright almost like a negative exposure. I saw another post guy said same thing but no answer. I cant watch another movie this way. I have two HDDVD player and they blow the PS3 away in picture quality. I have been telling myself nothings wrong. It has to be. I have switched back and forth from RGB to the other and automatic. Same results. Please help.
Heres my set up.
PS3 HDMI ( Monster ) to Onkyo 805.
805 HDMI ( Monster ) to Mitz 1080p set.
What settings on PS3 should I have. Games look awesome! Movies look bad.

Doesn't sound like something that could be fixed by any change in the PS3's settings. Could be a bad connection somewhere or a bad cable. Start isolating it (for example, try a direct connection to your display).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA02 View Post

Hi, hope someone can help me...

I have the Sony 46XBR4 hook up the PS3 using HDMI 1.3 cable, when i'm playing Enchanted Arms, the edge of the charaters looks really ugly, like jagsaw, even with GT5 Prolog demo, the lines of the car is like jagsaw too! any suggestion to fix this problem?

Tough to say without more information. My initial guess is that you're getting a 480p signal somehow, though. Check the display settings in the XMB and make sure you've got all the appropriate resolutions selected for your display.
Winky65's Avatar Winky65 10:33 AM 02-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac View Post

Ok I have looked for an answer and no luck. My PS3 when playing BR movies just looks weird. Reds, greens, and blues are real bright almost like a negative exposure. I saw another post guy said same thing but no answer. I cant watch another movie this way. I have two HDDVD player and they blow the PS3 away in picture quality. I have been telling myself nothings wrong. It has to be. I have switched back and forth from RGB to the other and automatic. Same results. Please help.
Heres my set up.
PS3 HDMI ( Monster ) to Onkyo 805.
805 HDMI ( Monster ) to Mitz 1080p set.
What settings on PS3 should I have. Games look awesome! Movies look bad.

Only thing I have seen that does that on my system which is HDMI>DVI, so might not be the same thing is to go into the Blu Ray settings (BD settings or something in the settings menu I believe, not in front of the system now) and if it is set to component (y-Pb etc....) change that to RGB. I got weird colors with the y-Pb setting but fine with RGB.
Ravenous112's Avatar Ravenous112 11:10 AM 02-10-2008
I have my PS3 hooked up to my Olevia 337h through RGB full HDMI, no problems. I do, however, have a problem with the Philips HTS3555/37 HTiB. I'm using an optical to coax converter to connect to my HTiB and for the most part it sounds great, but I can't hear the key tone ticks when using the menu, and it seems if you play for too long it will randomly have audio drop outs like the reciever is losing the signal. I'm having Philips send me a replacement to see if it helps. If not I'm just going to sell it and get myself an Onkyo.
sambow87's Avatar sambow87 02:51 PM 02-10-2008
Just got a PS3 and have some issues, mainly with CoD4. Everytime I go to a new menu or a new option in the menu, it slightly...freezes? It doesn't really freeze but I can't do anything on the screen. The video stops responding but the audio is playing and then a couple seconds later it's fine.

Bad install of the game or what?
sambow87's Avatar sambow87 03:37 PM 02-10-2008
Ok, so it seems to "skip" a little in game. I'm going to try just hooking it straight into my projector and see what that does and do some stuff on the router.

EDIT - A little more to the error. It only starts to skip when I go to online. As soon as I hit multiplayer....freeze....play match....freeze.....downloading game settings...... and does that forever.
Buddy C's Avatar Buddy C 10:52 AM 02-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambow87 View Post

Ok, so it seems to "skip" a little in game. I'm going to try just hooking it straight into my projector and see what that does and do some stuff on the router.

EDIT - A little more to the error. It only starts to skip when I go to online. As soon as I hit multiplayer....freeze....play match....freeze.....downloading game settings...... and does that forever.

I had the same issue online. Stuck on "downloading game settings" and when I did manage to get online to play, I got connection freezeups and booted out of many game sessions even though I could see my connection was uninterrupted. Turned out it was the well discussed NAT3/NAT2 setup issue with my router. Once I was able to get a NAT2 connection, by changing my router and PS3 network settings, COD4 ran flawless. I even set my XBOX 360 to the same custom router IP address and that works much better also. Go to Youtube and search "PS3 NAT2" and you can find some good video tutorials on the fix.

Oh, and I'm using a wireless connection. Go to PS3 network settings and do a connection test, if your connection type is "NAT3", that is your problem. You need NAT2.
splinters's Avatar splinters 10:54 AM 02-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambow87 View Post

Ok, so it seems to "skip" a little in game. I'm going to try just hooking it straight into my projector and see what that does and do some stuff on the router.

EDIT - A little more to the error. It only starts to skip when I go to online. As soon as I hit multiplayer....freeze....play match....freeze.....downloading game settings...... and does that forever.

What is your online connection? Wired? Wi-Fi? If Wi-Fi, what's the signal strength your getting? AT the end of the day, I would recommend a wired solution over a wireless one to make sure that wireless at the very least isn't exacerbating the solution.

-Splints
Scott_lb's Avatar Scott_lb 12:23 PM 02-11-2008
Does anyone know if there is a documented problem with launch 60GB units freezing while playing DVD's or Blu-Ray movies? I haven't had any problems until the last month or so (and my machine only gets moderate use - two movies per week and very limited gaming). The video will "freeze" during a scene (most recently in Black Hawk Down) but the audio will continue to play as normal. Thoughts?
confidenceman's Avatar confidenceman 12:51 PM 02-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb View Post

Does anyone know if there is a documented problem with launch 60GB units freezing while playing DVD's or Blu-Ray movies? I haven't had any problems until the last month or so (and my machine only gets moderate use - two movies per week and very limited gaming). The video will "freeze" during a scene (most recently in Black Hawk Down) but the audio will continue to play as normal. Thoughts?

Nothing I've seen very widely documented. You may want to double-check your playback settings.

Are you still under the 1-year manufacturing warranty? If so, it's probably time to give Sony a call. If not, and depending on how frequent and serious the problem is, you may need to shell out for Sony's repair cost.
Scott_lb's Avatar Scott_lb 05:25 PM 02-11-2008
Nope, I'm not under the Sony warranty (about two months out). After contacting Sony, they told me to re-register my controller (because they will fix the problem

I think I'm simply going to cut my losses and throw my 60GB on eBay and grab a white one when they come out. The only function which I will miss is SACD playback, but I can pick up a Denon SACD/DVD-A player on eBay for that.
sambow87's Avatar sambow87 09:02 PM 02-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy C View Post

I had the same issue online. Stuck on "downloading game settings" and when I did manage to get online to play, I got connection freezeups and booted out of many game sessions even though I could see my connection was uninterrupted. Turned out it was the well discussed NAT3/NAT2 setup issue with my router. Once I was able to get a NAT2 connection, by changing my router and PS3 network settings, COD4 ran flawless. I even set my XBOX 360 to the same custom router IP address and that works much better also. Go to Youtube and search "PS3 NAT2" and you can find some good video tutorials on the fix.

Oh, and I'm using a wireless connection. Go to PS3 network settings and do a connection test, if your connection type is "NAT3", that is your problem. You need NAT2.


Thanks guys for the help. I did the connection test and it is NAT2. I am doing this over wireless though. I don't have any lag or any of these problems in warhawk, in game or trying to get to a game. CoD4 tonight has been alright. No "Downloading Connections" or whatever, but it seems like i'm sort of lagging in the game. I mean, it does not give me the usual "connection lost" symbol while playing but it sort of "pauses/skips" every once in a while, and more so when there is a bunch of action going on the screen. Once again, there is no lag in warhawk at any time.

I'm going to try wiring my connection this friday to see if it helps. Any other suggestions to try in the mean time?
AV Design's Avatar AV Design 10:18 PM 02-11-2008
jkyte,

I have held off from purchasing the PS3 with expectations that sony will figure out the proper fix for all defects people are seeing.

My brother has purchased his PS3 a little less than three months ago (early-Dec BB's so called "deal") and two weeks ago his has the same symptoms. He cannot play any disc and has been sent the same box to return and wait for a replacement.

What Happened:
While booting up and then loading first few segments of the game (Guitar hero 3 menu) it was very slugish. Then after 45 seconds of play the notes on the guitar frets at the bottom of the screen disappears. seconds after game video freezes and then repeats the same 15 to 20 second segment of audio/video until unit was turned off. Then after a reboot, no disc would be played.

Issues:
-This has become a common problem among now four out of 7 people I know with a PS3.
Sony needs to recognize this problem and fix for any new release of models.
-Isolate issue to either Software or Hardware or BOTH! and provide proper fix.
-No Customer Service and fully-functional replacements instead of some re-worked. (re-certified warranty which is most likely void before you even receive it)

Seems like Sony has encountered either Memory corruption of either SD-Ram or some sort of Flash Memory which cannot be over written properly or they have broadcaster an update which does not function as planned.

This is peanuts compared to the issues they will have when they try to use a "firmware-upgarde" to update Blue_ray profile 2. There is only so much you can do when your programmable FPGA (or Micro Chip) has overall limitations. I would stay away from any Blue-Ray updates for this platform since it already proves unstable.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jkyte View Post

I have the 80gb PS3. I have had the player since 10/12 and I have no problems at all with set up, playback, downloading updates, etc. I have the system set up to output 1080p via the HDMI, which feeds into an Onkyo TX-SR905. My display device is a Panasonic PT-AE1000 1080 projector.

I have never had an issue with anything!! All signals have been sent out via the HDMI, as this the only output to my Onkyo. BD's played fine until last weekend!! I purchased the new Pirates of the Caribbean, popped it in to enjoy a evening with the kids in the home theater. The usual opening set up menus started and then the the froze up. I ejected the disc, reset the system and no disc playback at all. We still can sign into the network, we can still view saved video and play or download off of the net. The only problem is that the system will not play back any type of disc, nothing!! No PS3, no regular DVD, no BD. Nothing!!

I did the full reformat the next day, 5 hours and nothing. Called Sony tech support, which BTW is a joke. The only thing they could help me with is to let me know they would be sending me a box out and I would be required to send the PS3 back in. 3 weeks later I will or will not get a new unit. All of this is at Sony's discretion. If it has dust in it, it may void the warranty, really!! I was kind of upset with Sony at this policy, I have over $800.00 in a six week old system and this is supposedly their mantle piece and they are providing warranty service like this. Shame on Sony for this!! They should be willing or able to have this swapped out via a local distributor. If they are serious about this PS3 for the next 10 years as I have read, they need to offer a much better warranty program. I have a $800.00 set up sitting in the home theater room that is not being used, now we wait on Sony to get us a BOX so it can go all the way back to Texas.

Has anyone experienced this problem or had any warranty issues with a PS3?? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated, as I am kind of stuck at this point and time, I'm simply at Sony's mercy and they sure as hell don't seem to care about my problem!!


wingzz's Avatar wingzz 06:57 AM 02-12-2008
Ok I finally have an issue with my PS3 and I can't seem to be able to fix it so I'm looking for some help here

the problem is I have added a buffalo NAS with a built in media server, on the PS3 I can see the server but no songs show as available nor do any pictures but in the NAS both picture and music directories are shared
Using windows media connect on the PC I can share the mucis and pictures but would like to be able to remove the PC from having to be on all the time
has anyone had similar issues
Tags: Playstation 3 160gb System
First ... 35  36  37 38  39  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop