PS3 problems and setup issues thread! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ditto just one and it was when I was trying to sign up online to access the sony store to get some demo's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Supermans
I have my system upright...Most people who are having issues seem to have the system flat/horizontal..

Is this true, the PS3 has better cooling with the system standing up/vertical? Id rather leave it flat.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #93 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 06:25 PM

first let me apologize if my posting is botched somehow as ive only posted a few times...
also id like to express congrats to all my fellow ps3 owners ! ! !
now id like to say that so far i consider ps3 to be one sick puppy! (thats a good thing...
as much as id like to be the guy with the positive post... we all know we dont get enough of those... i would be remiss if i didnt drop the skinny on my little problem so here goes.
upon 5-6 hours of Untold Legends my char got stuck (which is normal and can happen in any game once in awhile...) so i and only to discover that to no avail im somehow a lvl 2 and a diiferent class char??
thats it... my only prob so far and i firmly believe this to be a server issue or maybe my error one way or the other... im not bugged about it as ive since deleted all saved game info and started over. since then i have not had this issue although i have not had the time to build the char up much... i did lvl up some to troubleshoot the and routine and am happy to say that all seems to be well.
i have had a 360 since christmas and i love it... i have had a ps3 since... well yesterday... and so far i love it too!
they both have their pros and cons but so far im nothing but excited for games to come!
post #94 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

I've only had 1 lock-up so far and it was while I was entering some text.

It happens pretty consistently to me and it's the ONLY time the system has crashed on me. The system can handle some of the most advanced graphics on the market (Motorstorm) but it crashes upon the user entering text! Aren't game machines funny?

Hopefully it's just a patch away from being fixed. Other than that, I see great things ahead for this machine. It's stunningly built.
post #95 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sounds like a coding bug particular to your situation (possibly specific equipment, etc though it could be any number of variables and still be rare to your situation). As a neophyte coder, I have made infinite loops and memory holes happen before (usually by mistake. Usually. ). I expect a patch to solve these issues.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #96 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgar View Post

Yup. Looks like we all had to figure that one out. After playing a Blu-Ray movie, it seems that the system needs to be rebooted (just a soft-reboot with the controller) before games will play sound properly.

This happened to me, too! I use the optical out for sound (I don't have a HDMI capable receiver/prepro) and HDMI for video. If I played a Blu-ray and then play a game w/o reboot, the PS3 does not output the DD 5.1 signal (i.e. no sound in games). Going from game to game (luckily I have 2 games ) or demo (i.e. Motorstorm) to game seems to be fine. However, sounds in XMB menu work fine in all case.

BTW, I haven't had a lock-up/crash yet... however, I longest time I have had it up was only ~7 hours straight. It is extremely hot after playing Blu-ray movies continuously for ~5 hours (Kingdom of Heaven + Talladega Nights): I put my hand next to the exhaust end and the air was burning hot! I don't know if it matters but I think they should have use an external power supply like the 360 to lessen the heat problem.
post #97 of 2925 Old 11-19-2006, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

This happened to me, too! I use the optical out for sound (I don't have a HDMI capable receiver/prepro) and HDMI for video. If I played a Blu-ray and then play a game w/o reboot, the PS3 does not output the DD 5.1 signal (i.e. no sound in games). Going from game to game (luckily I have 2 games ) or demo (i.e. Motorstorm) to game seems to be fine. However, sounds in XMB menu work fine in all case.

BTW, I haven't had a lock-up/crash yet... however, I longest time I have had it up was only ~7 hours straight. It is extremely hot after playing Blu-ray movies continuously for ~5 hours (Kingdom of Heaven + Talladega Nights): I put my hand next to the exhaust end and the air was burning hot! I don't know if it matters but I think they should have use an external power supply like the 360 to lessen the heat problem.

OK so im not alone, this really sucks. Have any of you tried to contact sony? I did and they told me it was a software issue, then they told me I may be having problems because im not using the sony hdmi cable......they are killing me, but anyway everyone thats having this problem needs to call or e-mail sony so that they can fix it, the more people that complaine the faster they should fix it.
post #98 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Say it correctly now the TV does display 1080P, it just cannot recieve a 1080P signal.

This is a misprint from Cnet that has been discussed for a while. The westinghouse 42inch was disontinued and a new 42 inch was replaced by it that only does 1080i/720p if I am not mistaken, but the disontinued 42w2 does and can accept 1080p natively though hdmi, dVI
post #99 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 09:26 AM

Liked: 12
Figure I'd post my experience setting this up...and I can say pretty much that I've not experienced any of the issues expressed by members above. From removal of the unit, going through the setup as the manual states, to the system update, and then playing both R: FoM and Untold Legends. My only 'bad' experience was downloading the System Update took forever over 802.11g, but that's my fault. Gonna start running CAT-5 this weekend to alleviate that issue now.

Home System Setup...
1. Hitachi Ultravision 60VS810A, native 720p and 1080i
2. Kenwood VR-8020 HT Receiver (yes it's old, but it's 5.1 DTS/DD/etc and so far suits me fine, but am starting to look for a new one w/HDMI pass-through)
3. PS3-to-HDTV via HDMI

-M

"If I had a nickel for every nickel I had..."
post #100 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 10:47 AM

1) I have the digital audio problem too (played Blu-ray movie and then tried to play game). I'm sure a software upgrade will fix this.

2) I, too, am upset about NBA2K7 not displaying 1080p. The packaging is very misleading. I may take it back to GameStop but trying to prove my case to one of the knuckleheads at my local store will be a nightmare. The clerk that rang me up told me this game was cancelled before I walked over and grabbed it off the shelf. Isolated situation but my local store hired ignorant goonies. I can only imagine myself explaining 720p vs. 1080p.
post #101 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmukalian View Post

My only 'bad' experience was downloading the System Update took forever over 802.11g, but that's my fault. Gonna start running CAT-5 this weekend to alleviate that issue now.

Might want to run it 'dirty' first to test. My speeds online are terrible and I don't know why. Figured it was the wireless and ran a cable straight from my modem. Didn't help at all.

Haven't tried d/l in a couple days. Resistance plays fine either way, so I'm not sure why demo d/l speeds (and the update) were so slow. Even enabled DMZ. Don't know why right now.
post #102 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 11:14 AM

Concerning NBA 2K7, I heard that you have to go into custom settings and force 1080p and it will display 1080p.

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

post #103 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure the bad download times are Sony's servers not being able to keep up. Gotta get Linux and download from a known site to know for sure... I haven't done that yet.

Edit: Or actually, I guess you could use the GameOS browser to find a big file to download, and compare that to a PC.
post #104 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 01:03 PM

Any thoughts to downloading patches to USB keys, then plugging in said key into the PS3 and running the update from there? According to the manual, you can either do the update via internet or via disc media. Thoughts?

"If I had a nickel for every nickel I had..."
post #105 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

If you know where to download them from mmukalian, it should work. I was able to get the 1.02 update off a game; just selected storage media and it detected that the version was on-disc. I would imagine that if you had a USB plugged it it would scan it and find the update.
post #106 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmukalian View Post

Any thoughts to downloading patches to USB keys, then plugging in said key into the PS3 and running the update from there? According to the manual, you can either do the update via internet or via disc media. Thoughts?

That should work. You just have to make sure the update file is in a folder named PS3.
post #107 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post

Concerning NBA 2K7, I heard that you have to go into custom settings and force 1080p and it will display 1080p.

In the PS3's System menu? Or within the game? I have my system set to display 1080p in the PS3 System menu. How do you force it?
post #108 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

That should work. You just have to make sure the update file is in a folder named PS3.

You need another folder inside of that called UPDATE. Can't find the link to that but that is what I did. I used my USB drive, made a directory in it called PS3 and a subdirectory called UPDATE and placed the patch file there. All worked out good for me.
post #109 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Where did you download the patch from ay221? (could I use a PC and download manager to make those online demos easier to fetch?)
post #110 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post

You need another folder inside of that called UPDATE. Can't find the link to that but that is what I did. I used my USB drive, made a directory in it called PS3 and a subdirectory called UPDATE and placed the patch file there. All worked out good for me.

Ahhh that's right, thanks.
post #111 of 2925 Old 11-20-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

How about no. The XBR1 does not accept 1080p on any input, though it only displays 1080p, upscaling and/or deinterlacing to get there. The A2000 and XBR2 take 1080p over HDMI only. Check the XBR1 owners thread in the Rear Projection forum.

I can't wait for a PS3 for my 60XBR1, but I'll be doing 1080i output just like I do with the 360.

Hi, I'm doing it now on my SXRD 60 XBR1. Very nice and so far I have been playing Resistance and it looks very good. Have not tried Blu Ray yet.

Nothing is perfect if you look hard enough.
post #112 of 2925 Old 11-21-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1 View Post

Ok, my PS3 is running great except for one very strange problem - it crashes about 70% of the time I'm in the middle of writing a text message. Has this happened to anyone else? Other than this niggling problem, the system has been great.

If this is when you're typing on the browser, then yes, I've had this problem on the two PS3's we have in my house. Any ideas?

GT: irunnoft
post #113 of 2925 Old 11-21-2006, 03:46 PM

I seem to be having playback problems on my Toshiba 36HFX72 when using my PS3. I have it connected through component cables, and the PS3 is set to 720P. I am getting purple "scan lines" that slowly move up the screen. I checked the cable I'm using on another system and it works fine. I originally had the system running through a HDMI to DVI cable, but I was getting the same problem. Is this a PS3 issue?
post #114 of 2925 Old 11-21-2006, 09:35 PM

I can't connect to the internet on the PS3. It says I have a connection to the net, but when I click on the www symbol nothing happens. I created a Sony account as well. Thanks for any help.
post #115 of 2925 Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgar View Post

Where did you download the patch from ay221? (could I use a PC and download manager to make those online demos easier to fetch?)

Sorry for the delay. Here is the patch download link. I tried to find demo downloads, but it says to download from your PS3 box.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Ne...s/default.html
post #116 of 2925 Old 11-21-2006, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyfoo View Post

I seem to be having playback problems on my Toshiba 36HFX72 when using my PS3. I have it connected through component cables, and the PS3 is set to 720P. I am getting purple "scan lines" that slowly move up the screen. I checked the cable I'm using on another system and it works fine. I originally had the system running through a HDMI to DVI cable, but I was getting the same problem. Is this a PS3 issue?

I haven't seen this issue. Just a thought. Maybe try moving your ps3 a little further from the tv or trying connecting your box on a different outlet and see if it goes away.
post #117 of 2925 Old 11-21-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman069 View Post

HELP!

My PS3 will not accept a disc in the disc drive. I have tried PS2 games, Resistance Fall of Man and Talledega Nights and nothing works. Called Sony and the rep I spoke to was clearly using scripting and didn't know it came with a free movie. She told me they will have to replace and can take up to 14 days!!!

When I put in a disc it doesn't pull it in all the way like a car cd player would. I never force it but give it a little nudge and it won't go in all the way. Press the eject button and it starts to eject and then gets stuck and I pull on it for a sec then it comes out all the way. I have powered down several times and tried again. I have tried more than one disc with no luck. I have tried to get the disc all the way in again without forcing it and no luck.

I didn't try it before the update but I don't think the update has anything to do with it.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Good news is I got my return box the very next day after I called them and and they received it today and I am receiving a brand new one from sony tomorrow morning. Talk about fast.... They tell you up to 14 days and by the time I get my new replacement (not a refurbished one mind you) I will have only went one full day without it.

Thanks,

J

post #118 of 2925 Old 11-22-2006, 09:35 AM

"I seem to be having playback problems on my Toshiba 36HFX72 when using my PS3. I have it connected through component cables, and the PS3 is set to 720P. I am getting purple "scan lines" that slowly move up the screen. I checked the cable I'm using on another system and it works fine. I originally had the system running through a HDMI to DVI cable, but I was getting the same problem. Is this a PS3 issue?"

Those are hum bars caused by a ground loop. This can be a pain to fix. Go to wikipedia and pull up "ground loop" it will give you more detail. Basically your av system is being grounded by two seperate sources, usually the wall socket via PS3 3 prong plug and the coax cable tv cable which is causing voltage feedback thru your av cables to the tv. Well anyway, you need to have everything connected to the same ground, the easiest way is to buy a surge protector with catv coax protection/connectors as it will hopefully ground the catv coax to the same ground as the PS3. Good luck.
post #119 of 2925 Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

These demo downloads are ridiculous. They are so slow, you have to sit there and watch them, and I keep getting an error message about half way through. To top it all off, they start over at 0 when I restart them. I have been trying all morning and have only successfully downloaded Motorstorm.
post #120 of 2925 Old 11-22-2006, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d View Post

I keep getting an error message about half way through.

I also hope Sony improves the downloads, and I'll bet they will.

...But the only download I've had an error message for was when I was messing with the controller and lost contact with the PS3 or I hit a button, I can't remember which. My internet conneciton is wired, btw.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page