PS3 problems and setup issues thread! - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 2925 Old 04-01-2008, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having problems with the audio through optical from my PS3 to my receiver. When I upgraded to firmware 2.17 and play any dvd or .mp4 file, the sound intermittently turns off for a few seconds. I thought upgrading to 2.20 would fix it but I still get the same problem. Everything worked fine before the 2.17 firmware. Is there some audio setting I need to change on the PS3? Has anyone else have this audio issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2925 Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I just love these "post all your problems" master threads. It's a very economical way for everyone's questions to get ignored.

Here's my problem, and it could be a big one:

I turn on my PS3 with the controller like usual. It reads my Warhawk disc and gives that background wallpaper, again like usual. I take it out and insert Michael Clayton because I'm going to watch it tonight.

My PS3 recognizes that a bluray disc is inserted. I click on it, and it asks if it's ok for the bluray disc to access the internet. I say "yes". Then....................

Nothing. Just black screen. So I try to eject the disc and it won't let me. I flip the switch on the back of the PS3 and toggle it off/on. Now I can get the disc out. But here's the alarming part:

Now my PS3 won't recognize ANYTHING I put in it. Not Michael Clayton, not any of my games..........NOTHING. It'll accept the discs. It'll spit them back out. Just won't recognize them.

Being as this is the 43rd page, I'm not expecting that many/any eyeballs will see this other than the next poor shmuck with a PS3 problem, but is there anyone out there that can offer advice before I have to ship it up and send it back???????

Everything worked just fine before the god damned firmware upgrade.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #1263 of 2925 Old 04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Update: I called Sony and started the return process. How do I go about backing up my data? Do I need a FAT32 formatted hard drive to back it up?? Of course my portable hard drive is the other kind.

Any suggestions there?

I know I'm just talking to the next guy with a PS3 sob story looking for answers but I'm hoping someone will pick up the trail here......

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #1264 of 2925 Old 04-03-2008, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

Update: I called Sony and started the return process. How do I go about backing up my data? Do I need a FAT32 formatted hard drive to back it up?? Of course my portable hard drive is the other kind.

Any suggestions there?

I know I'm just talking to the next guy with a PS3 sob story looking for answers but I'm hoping someone will pick up the trail here......

Most people only see the latest post so your actually more likely to get a response than earlier posts.

If you want to back-up your hard drive, I would recommend getting a USB 2.0 external HD, something larger what your ps3 holds since it will back-up all your saved game and install game info. I think you can find a 500GB USB HD for ~100 nowadays and that should allow you to have persistent storage for any dvd's or traliers you download. Once you get the HD, go to the settings menu and look for the back-up option under system settings, click on it and let it do it's thing (it could take 10 min's to a few hours depending on how big your HD is).

Hope that helps.

-Splints
post #1265 of 2925 Old 04-03-2008, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply, Splints. I kinda figured you'd be most likely to help since you've been a regular answer guy to the previous few pages.

Another question along those lines: after I nuke the PS3 and restore the data, will I have to redownload all my stuff off the PS3 store? I really don't want to redownload all my Rock Band tracks.....

You ever hear of this backup/reformat/restore combination bringing the disc reader back to life? It doesn't look like it has helped before judging by other forums.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #1266 of 2925 Old 04-04-2008, 05:23 AM

If you are able to do a back-up it should save all your DLC, no need to re-download.

PSN: indyw8
post #1267 of 2925 Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 AM

Hope this is the right place ...

I have a sony rplcd mod a10. PS3 hooked up via hdmi through a monoprice 3x1 switch.

When I load a game (pes2008) from the ps3 main "menu" area the screen is scrambled .. can see the graphics but can't read them.

I also noticed that during the update download .. @ about 50% of completion the screen scrambled.

Anyone seen/heard of this?

I have been using the ps3 since early november, no problems with games/br playback.

Thanks.
post #1268 of 2925 Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by briz View Post

I also noticed that during the update download .. @ about 50% of completion the screen scrambled.

Did it finish the download and install the update? Or did that "scramble" stop it? If it just interrupted the download, that isn't a problem. But if it interrupted the install, then you've got an issue.

Otherwise, try all the typical connection troubleshooting first: auto-detect reset (hold on button on console down until second beep), different connections (on display and/or AVR), different cable. Double-check all your video settings in the XMB.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1269 of 2925 Old 04-04-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

Thanks for the reply, Splints. I kinda figured you'd be most likely to help since you've been a regular answer guy to the previous few pages.

Another question along those lines: after I nuke the PS3 and restore the data, will I have to redownload all my stuff off the PS3 store? I really don't want to redownload all my Rock Band tracks.....

You ever hear of this backup/reformat/restore combination bringing the disc reader back to life? It doesn't look like it has helped before judging by other forums.

I think someone else mentioned it, but all Downloaded Content and stored games, trailers, music, etc is all backed-up in the same process. Think of it as a full Hard Drive back-up.

The back-up/reformat/restore combo might help a software error if it gets stuck in some odd state, but a hardware failure of the disc drive is more likely a hardware-based problem (mechanical) than software based one (driver). You can try it out anyways and if it doesn't help then send the system in. As long as you have backed-up your system, your set.

Glad to help!

-Splints
post #1270 of 2925 Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Did it finish the download and install the update? Or did that "scramble" stop it? If it just interrupted the download, that isn't a problem. But if it interrupted the install, then you've got an issue.

Otherwise, try all the typical connection troubleshooting first: auto-detect reset (hold on button on console down until second beep), different connections (on display and/or AVR), different cable. Double-check all your video settings in the XMB.

Thanks for quick response...

The download was effected not the install.
I tried the ps3 @ lunch today and everything was fine ... weird. I think it may have been an issue with the tv. sony grand wega a10.
post #1271 of 2925 Old 04-06-2008, 04:33 PM

Hey all,

Recently picked up a PS3 for dvd playback and gaming. I had been unable to read a Dolby Digital signal in my Yamaha RX V992 (about 7 years old) receiver via optical or coax from the PS3. It showed only Pro Logic. I am on bitstream out in the PS3.

While experimenting today with various setups and combinations I was able to get a Dolby Digital signal into the amp by powering the receiver off and on during playback on non-Bluray dvd's. This did not work with Spiderman 3.

The only Bluray dvd I have is Spiderman 3 which came with the unit and I have not been able to get a DD signal from it. I remember when I first played Spiderman that the Sony Logo and Movie Logo played in DD but when the film started it went back to Pro Logic.

Any ideas?

Also please advise about any other useful PS3 forums. I have been unable to reach anyone at Sony (recordings) and cannot register or email at their website.

Thanks in advance...

JT
post #1272 of 2925 Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycage View Post

Hey all,
Also please advise about any other useful PS3 forums. I have been unable to reach anyone at Sony (recordings) and cannot register or email at their website.

Thanks in advance...

JT

Can't help with your problem, but here's another forum that might get you more attention:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=650544
post #1273 of 2925 Old 04-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Is there a way to re-download and re-install the latest update? I ask becuase either the latest firmware or Warhawk update made my PS3 not recognize my GHIII dongle. I plug it in and and doesn't light up, I tried it in my computer USB and it lite right up. The USB ports on the PS3 all work fine I can charge a controller in all four, but I plug in the GHIII dongle and zippo. Any help is appreciated.
post #1274 of 2925 Old 04-07-2008, 01:13 PM

I don't think there is a way to redownload a firmware, but if you downloaded Warhawk, you could just delete your local copy and redownload it from your PSN account.

Actually, you may be able to download the latest firmware off their website, copy it to flash drive and try rerunning the update like that.
post #1275 of 2925 Old 04-07-2008, 01:27 PM

I will try that with the firmware update, but for Warhawk I bought it at the store and not on-line.
post #1276 of 2925 Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 PM

Well, I think the PS3 still makes a game data file for Warhawk even if you buy it from the store. Go "Games" in the XMB and there is a category called "Game Data" or something to that effect. Deleting that and then trying to play Warhawk again should do the same thing. I'm just speculating though as I've never tried this.
post #1277 of 2925 Old 04-07-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuke2962 View Post

Is there a way to re-download and re-install the latest update? I ask becuase either the latest firmware or Warhawk update made my PS3 not recognize my GHIII dongle. I plug it in and and doesn't light up, I tried it in my computer USB and it lite right up. The USB ports on the PS3 all work fine I can charge a controller in all four, but I plug in the GHIII dongle and zippo. Any help is appreciated.

Another option is to back-up your system on an external hard drive and then reformat the whole sucker and reset the ps3 to factory settings and then try again. Otherwise a call to Activision or Sony would be my back-up.

-Splints
post #1278 of 2925 Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Question about the Playstation Network and gaming online...

I haven't registered with the Playstation network yet... Does the name I register with, permanently become my name every time I play a game online? Or is there an option to change my name to display as whatever I want?

Thanks.
post #1279 of 2925 Old 04-07-2008, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post

Question about the Playstation Network and gaming online...

I haven't registered with the Playstation network yet... Does the name I register with, permanently become my name every time I play a game online? Or is there an option to change my name to display as whatever I want?

Thanks.

The name you use is permanent and is the in-game name, so choose carefully.

-Splints
post #1280 of 2925 Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

The name you use is permanent and is the in-game name, so choose carefully.

-Splints

Splints, is that smiley face indicative of sarcasm or are you being truthful here?
post #1281 of 2925 Old 04-08-2008, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had my 60GB since launch and it's been wonderful.

Since the 2.20 update, I've had what appear to be HDMI handshake issues. Sometimes when I power up the PS3, my screen has a rainbow colored static all over it and it can be remedied by unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable a few times.

I should have mentioned I've tried different cables and different ports. The HDA20 I have works fine with either cable and either port. The PS3 has the very occasional handshake problem with either cable and either port.

Anyone know of a better fix?

Only watches movies on celluloid in the DOP's personal home theater.
post #1282 of 2925 Old 04-09-2008, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post

Splints, is that smiley face indicative of sarcasm or are you being truthful here?

hehe, it's just a truthful one. No hidden meaning. Just choose carefully.

-Splints
post #1283 of 2925 Old 04-10-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

hehe, it's just a truthful one. No hidden meaning. Just choose carefully.

-Splints

I think I'll go with Splints98
post #1284 of 2925 Old 04-10-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamspy View Post

I've had my 60GB since launch and it's been wonderful.

Since the 2.20 update, I've had what appear to be HDMI handshake issues. Sometimes when I power up the PS3, my screen has a rainbow colored static all over it and it can be remedied by unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable a few times.

Anyone know of a better fix?

Anybody?

post #1285 of 2925 Old 04-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

with the upcoming DTS HD MA firmware upgrade, I wanted tomake sure I have my PS3 sound setup correctly.

I'm running hdmi audio to my AVR (Onkyo tx sr705) which can receive multichannel PCM. I have the ps3 sending audio via LPCM. I am not sure which of the audio options I should check off... do I only check the highest possible bitrates? Or if I check everything, will the player automatically utilize the best possible one? Or will it default to the first one it tries that works? I'm still new to the audiophile world, and want to make sure I have things setup right! Thanks in advance for any advice!
post #1286 of 2925 Old 04-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamspy View Post

Anybody?

try a new cable? It seems some of these hdmi cables are finicky, sorry I can't provide a better answer
post #1287 of 2925 Old 04-10-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

with the upcoming DTS HD MA firmware upgrade, I wanted tomake sure I have my PS3 sound setup correctly.

I'm running hdmi audio to my AVR (Onkyo tx sr705) which can receive multichannel PCM. I have the ps3 sending audio via LPCM. I am not sure which of the audio options I should check off... do I only check the highest possible bitrates? Or if I check everything, will the player automatically utilize the best possible one? Or will it default to the first one it tries that works? I'm still new to the audiophile world, and want to make sure I have things setup right! Thanks in advance for any advice!

LPCM is the correct setting.

As for the audio setup, check off-whatever you have support for in speakers. If you have 7.1 speaker setup then you'll want all of them. If you only have a 5.1 speaker setup, then check all the boxes on the 5.1 setup. Beyond that, you'll have to make an intelligent decision on what your sound system can support. I wouldn't worry about the bitrates, your Onkyo is new enough to support all of those modes. I would honestly recommend running it through the automatic detection vs. trying to manually select each one.

Good Luck!

-Splints
post #1288 of 2925 Old 04-10-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

try a new cable? It seems some of these hdmi cables are finicky, sorry I can't provide a better answer

Thanks for the reply!

I should have mentioned I've tried different cables and different ports. The HDA20 I have works fine with either cable and either port. The PS3 has the very occasional handshake problem with either cable and either port.

post #1289 of 2925 Old 04-12-2008, 11:55 PM

I need some troubleshooting help.

During bluray movies the video will momentarily black out while the audio remains intact. What could be the problem? I'm using a ps3 as my player and I have it connected via hdmi to a samsung receiver (ht-as720).

I thought it was the BD disc that was bad but then I popped in another one and it still did the same thing.

Panasonic 55ST60
Sony XBR-46HX909
post #1290 of 2925 Old 04-17-2008, 04:17 AM

I figured I'd add my problem here even though I had a separate thread running about it.

the HDMI port went bad on my ps3 last week. It worked fine for 3 months, but now outside of two flickers (when powering on and off) I get nothing but a black screen.

I tested the input to the tv, swapped cords, did a hard reset of the ps3, tried every combination to be sure it wasn't anything else. the only video I get out of the machine is via the composite cable. I did check all of the resolution output settings and they are ok.

I shipped the unit back to Sony yesterday. We'll see how long it takes to get it back.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page