PS3 problems and setup issues thread! - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 2925 Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I need some insight on a problem my older brother is having on his PS3. His PS3 games and DVD's play fine on his 40gb PS3 but everytime he tries to play a Blu-Ray movie the menu for the blu-ray movie starts to come up on the screen after he's inserted the disk and press start movie on his PS3, he gets a error message on his TV saying (does not support this) or something like that. He said a month ago his Spiderman 3 Blu-Ray worked fine, but now that or know Blu-Rays work they all do this same thing? Has anyone seen this before. Its like the PS3 recognizes the BD disk and starts to play it but right before the movie comes on he gets that error message. He has a 1080P Samsung DLP, last years model, and his PS3 he has 1080P,1080i,720P,480P all turned on under display settings, and all his other PS3 settings are correct. He's running this through a HDMI connection to his TV, but I did notice that he also had regular AV cable connected also, I disconnected that from the PS3 but not the TV, but still the same results. He has 3 HDMI ports on the TV, does he need to plug into a certain one to work. I thought the BD drive went out in his PS3 but I'm starting to think maybe he just hooked up something wrong, cause don't Blu-Ray movies have that copy protection stuff and can only be ran through a HDMI cord. Has anyone heard or seen anything like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2925 Old 05-27-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapo27 View Post

Guys, I can´t conect to my wireless network with my PS3 anymore.

After 3 weeks of regular use, the console can´t find the network and it shows and error code (80130128) not referred in any Sony manual.

I´ve tried to change the PS3 IP, filter by MAC adress, re-start the router and the ADSL modem, update the router firmware (D-LINK 524), re-install the 2.35 firmware, input the IP manually in PS3.......but nothing worked.

The WAN light in PS3 is not blinking when the console is searching for the network, and i´ve not seen any solution in my web reserach.

I have a XBOX360 and a Wii sharing this connection perfectly, and I really don´t know what to do.

Tks in advance for your help

Sounds like your wireless card either got disconnected from the ps3 or the wi-fi chip went *poof*. If your hardware savy, you can pull the ps3 apart and see if re-seating the wi-fi connector/card will help. You can also check to see if the antenna connection popped out, but I doubt that since the wireless light never comes on. Otherwise I would just call Sony support and get them to fix it. I doubt there is much we can do since this sounds like a hardware problem more than software or configuration.

-Splints
post #1353 of 2925 Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitsone View Post

Ok I need some insight on a problem my older brother is having on his PS3. His PS3 games and DVD's play fine on his 40gb PS3 but everytime he tries to play a Blu-Ray movie the menu for the blu-ray movie starts to come up on the screen after he's inserted the disk and press start movie on his PS3, he gets a error message on his TV saying (does not support this) or something like that. He said a month ago his Spiderman 3 Blu-Ray worked fine, but now that or know Blu-Rays work they all do this same thing? Has anyone seen this before. Its like the PS3 recognizes the BD disk and starts to play it but right before the movie comes on he gets that error message. He has a 1080P Samsung DLP, last years model, and his PS3 he has 1080P,1080i,720P,480P all turned on under display settings, and all his other PS3 settings are correct. He's running this through a HDMI connection to his TV, but I did notice that he also had regular AV cable connected also, I disconnected that from the PS3 but not the TV, but still the same results. He has 3 HDMI ports on the TV, does he need to plug into a certain one to work. I thought the BD drive went out in his PS3 but I'm starting to think maybe he just hooked up something wrong, cause don't Blu-Ray movies have that copy protection stuff and can only be ran through a HDMI cord. Has anyone heard or seen anything like this.

Sounds like a display settings configuration problem. I would go into the BD menu under settings and turn the 24fps configuration to off. That will have the ps3 display in 60fps(Hz) which is probably what the tv requires. If that doesn't work, it might be useful to list off the BD configuration menu selections are and see if we can help there.

-Splints
post #1354 of 2925 Old 05-27-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapo27 View Post

Guys, I can´t conect to my wireless network with my PS3 anymore.

After 3 weeks of regular use, the console can´t find the network and it shows and error code (80130128) not referred in any Sony manual.

I´ve tried to change the PS3 IP, filter by MAC adress, re-start the router and the ADSL modem, update the router firmware (D-LINK 524), re-install the 2.35 firmware, input the IP manually in PS3.......but nothing worked.

The WAN light in PS3 is not blinking when the console is searching for the network, and i´ve not seen any solution in my web reserach.

I have a XBOX360 and a Wii sharing this connection perfectly, and I really don´t know what to do.

Tks in advance for your help

U should have your router set for DHCP server, and then reserve an IP for the PS3. Is your SSID still being broacast from the router, turn it on, when the PS3 detects it and access is granted you can turn it back off, did your keys change, check your ACL (access control list) in the router, make sure you have the correct MAC (the one for your wireless card, which will be different from the NIC on the PS3 for wired) address from the PS3 in the router.
post #1355 of 2925 Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

Sounds like a display settings configuration problem. I would go into the BD menu under settings and turn the 24fps configuration to off. That will have the ps3 display in 60fps(Hz) which is probably what the tv requires. If that doesn't work, it might be useful to list off the BD configuration menu selections are and see if we can help there.

-Splints

Thanks I will have him try this, if anyone have any other suggestions please post them.
post #1356 of 2925 Old 05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

I tried to connect my PC laptop running Vista to the PS3, for photos and music.
After a few glitches I have the PC showing as media server, I can see all the folders and individual files (.jpg or MP3) but if I try to access any of those I get a black screen and a "network error" message. It works flawlessly from my Mac through MediaLink.
Any idea?
post #1357 of 2925 Old 05-30-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post

I tried to connect my PC laptop running Vista to the PS3, for photos and music.
After a few glitches I have the PC showing as media server, I can see all the folders and individual files (.jpg or MP3) but if I try to access any of those I get a black screen and a "network error" message. It works flawlessly from my Mac through MediaLink.
Any idea?

Same here.... I see the folders, but no media so it is being shared (carefully checked WMP 11). I've found the whole thing to be a headache, personally and just installed a bigger hard drive - transfer files by the sneaker method. Also, move of my movies are MP4 made with Nero Recode using "cinema" settings for whatever that is worth.
post #1358 of 2925 Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

WMP 11 is the most likely culprit. Try using TVersity, there's a thread dedicated about how to work with it.

-Splints
post #1359 of 2925 Old 05-30-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kculp View Post

Same here.... I see the folders, but no media so it is being shared (carefully checked WMP 11). I've found the whole thing to be a headache, personally and just installed a bigger hard drive - transfer files by the sneaker method. Also, move of my movies are MP4 made with Nero Recode using "cinema" settings for whatever that is worth.

You have to stop ipsec under services and change startup to manual. I had the same problem with both wmp11 and tversity and this solved the problem.

This is covered in help for wmp11. For some reason both Vista and Xp thought I was on a domain instead of a home network so ipsec was started.

WMP11 seems to be easier to understand from the PS3 than Tversity, it's just me I guess.
post #1360 of 2925 Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 AM

I have a problem and if any of you guys could help I would really appreciate it!
I just got a new TV, a Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U 1080p 46". I'm trying to connect my PS3 via HDMI to it. When it loads up, the TV shows that it is a 1080i signal. I go to my PS3 settings, go to display options, and when I go to output, all the boxes except 1080p are checked. When I check 1080p, and I hit square to test the screen or X to advance screens, it switches to 1080p and for a second I can see the PS3 screen with the message asking if I want to keep those settings, but the image is very blurry and grainy and progressively gets worse and then just blacks out. This all takes about 4 seconds. Then it stays out for about 2 seconds, then the grainy image comes back and this just repeats itself until the 30 seconds are up and it reverts to 1080i (which looks fine).
So my question is, do you guys think it's a problem with the PS3 or the TV? I'm leaning towards TV...does anyone else have this setup? Am I doing something wrong? I bought the TV straight from Sharp as a refurb so I need to know ASAP if I need to return it!
Any and all help is appreciated!
post #1361 of 2925 Old 06-02-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casanova70 View Post

I have a problem and if any of you guys could help I would really appreciate it!
I just got a new TV, a Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U 1080p 46". I'm trying to connect my PS3 via HDMI to it. When it loads up, the TV shows that it is a 1080i signal. I go to my PS3 settings, go to display options, and when I go to output, all the boxes except 1080p are checked. When I check 1080p, and I hit square to test the screen or X to advance screens, it switches to 1080p and for a second I can see the PS3 screen with the message asking if I want to keep those settings, but the image is very blurry and grainy and progressively gets worse and then just blacks out. This all takes about 4 seconds. Then it stays out for about 2 seconds, then the grainy image comes back and this just repeats itself until the 30 seconds are up and it reverts to 1080i (which looks fine).
So my question is, do you guys think it's a problem with the PS3 or the TV? I'm leaning towards TV...does anyone else have this setup? Am I doing something wrong? I bought the TV straight from Sharp as a refurb so I need to know ASAP if I need to return it!
Any and all help is appreciated!

If it's a refurb, bring it back immediately. I have a Sharp LC-60C52U (Costco's 52" Sharp LCD) and I had no problems setting it up exactly as how you mentioned.

If you have another 1080p HDMI source you can try that out, otherwise return it and try again.

-Splints
post #1362 of 2925 Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 AM

I don't know if this is a problem with my tv or ps3 or hdmi cable but my tv seems to change back and forth from dark to light. I have it on a black background right now so it looks like it changes from black to dark gray and the amount of static changes if you look closely. Anybody know what could be the cause of this?
post #1363 of 2925 Old 06-03-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinxpx109 View Post

I don't know if this is a problem with my tv or ps3 or hdmi cable but my tv seems to change back and forth from dark to light. I have it on a black background right now so it looks like it changes from black to dark gray and the amount of static changes if you look closely. Anybody know what could be the cause of this?

Sounds like your TV has a "dynamic contrast" (every manufacturer has it's own name for it) feature enabled. I would recommend going into your tv's menu to look for where you would switch contrast, brightness, etc. Disable any dynamic contrast feature you see. I would recommend getting AVIA or some other tv calibration disc and calibrate the tv so the right balance of colors is shown optimally.

You might also want to check the display forums for your specific tv model/family to see what others are doing for calibration or any other tricks they can offer.

-Splints
post #1364 of 2925 Old 06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had my PS3 1.5 years now and I have had an issue that just developed this week.

I go to use my PS3 and I find that it is already blinking red.
Touching power on the console brings it back to a solid red, Pushing power again and it fires up and operates fine.
I shut it down it goes to solid red like it has since day 1.

Few days later I come back to use it and it is blinking red again.
Push power makes it solid push again it fires up fine.
I don't get it
If blinking red means it gets too hot, how can the machine get too hot when it isn't even on?
post #1365 of 2925 Old 06-04-2008, 06:12 AM

Edit
post #1366 of 2925 Old 06-08-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSniffer View Post

Despite the fact that this problem seems to show up on only one game (and also I have a messed up XMB), I've concluded that I have a hardware problem. The game works fine on a different machine but the identical model. Grrrr. $149 out-of-warranty repair.

For what it's worth, if you're still having the problem, I also am having the same experience (was just finding this thread when googling for the spikey headed/bodied characters in Lost Via Domus). I also have never seen that problem before in any other game but it's all over the place in Lost. Anyway, just in case it's at all related, I also have the hardware problem that causes Grand Theft Auto 4 to lock up. (In case you didn't know, there were multiple problems with GTA4, most fixable, but for some of us there is a hardware problem which Sony is fixing by replacing our PS3's, even if out of warranty.) Anyway, I am just about to send my unit back for that GTA4 fix and am hoping it fixes the Lost problem at the same time. If you haven't tried it already, I would suggest seeing if you can get more than 5 or 10 minutes into GTA4 before it crashes your PS3. If not, maybe it's related after all. Call Rockstar Games and Sony to get them to get you a fixed unit. If it doesn't lock up, well, I guess spikes in character heads aren't the worst.
post #1367 of 2925 Old 06-08-2008, 03:41 PM

Allright guys I have a recurring issue with my PS3 that is getting rather frustrating. Whenever I am in the main menu portion of the PS3 the screen is constantly flashing (image/black sceen/image/black screen etc...) It does this flashing thing when I am watching movies and using the menu on the PS3 but does not flash when i am playing any games. I have a samsung LNT4661F 1080P LCD TV and the PS3 is hooked up via HDMI. I also just tried restoring the system settings and I am still having the flashing problem. The system has only just started doing this for no apparent reason. Prior to this the unit worked fine for the last 5mos since I owned it. Any and all help is appreciated!!
post #1368 of 2925 Old 06-08-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Set the ouput res on the XMB to 720p or 1080i instead of 1080p and see if that fixes it. If so you've got a fault in the video output/video input of your setup.

The reson why it doesn't flash during games is presumeably because the game is forcing a lower res.

You'll wan't/need another 1080p output device and a different HDMI cable to narrow down the problem to either the PS3, your TV, or your HDMI cable.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #1369 of 2925 Old 06-08-2008, 07:27 PM

So today I moved the PS3 HDMI plug from port 2 to port 1 on the television and it seems that this has fixed the issue. No more flashing or so it appears as of yet. As for the game being displayed in a lower res that is not the case since it was COD4 which is a 1080P game. So why it was not flashing when I was gaming is still a mystery to me.
post #1370 of 2925 Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 AM

new guy here, I just got my onkyo 605 hooked up and everything is running smoothly except my ps3. When I turn on the ps3, the picture and sound come through but for some reason there is a very very light snowy effect on the tv. It isn't extremely noticeable except on black. This only happens when the ps3 is on so I'm guessing it may have something to do with the connection? I have the ps3 hooked up via HDMI to receiver HDMI then from receiver to HDMI tv.
post #1371 of 2925 Old 06-12-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

any tips on how to stream files to my ps3 from my PC? i cant get it to recognize the PS3 through WMP11.

also, why the heck am i continually being signed off the PSN network for? It keeps happening, no idea why.
post #1372 of 2925 Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhwk View Post

new guy here, I just got my onkyo 605 hooked up and everything is running smoothly except my ps3. When I turn on the ps3, the picture and sound come through but for some reason there is a very very light snowy effect on the tv. It isn't extremely noticeable except on black. This only happens when the ps3 is on so I'm guessing it may have something to do with the connection? I have the ps3 hooked up via HDMI to receiver HDMI then from receiver to HDMI tv.

Try turning down the brightness on your tv, I would recommend getting an AVIA disc to see if you can calibrate it so you get the right settings for your tv. That should help the snow you see.

-Splints
post #1373 of 2925 Old 06-12-2008, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 View Post

any tips on how to stream files to my ps3 from my PC? i cant get it to recognize the PS3 through WMP11.

also, why the heck am i continually being signed off the PSN network for? It keeps happening, no idea why.

Well those are two issues. I would say that you should probably try TVersity instead of WMP11 for issue #1.

For issue #2 sounds like a wireless problem, can you try a wired connection to see if a more solid connection will help. You can also try moving your ps3 +/- 6 inches or rotate it to see if you can get a better wireless connection. If you can't improve it I would recommend an ethernet bridge or gaming adapter to see if that will get you better wireless performance.

-Splints
post #1374 of 2925 Old 06-13-2008, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I am a proud new owner of a 80gig PS3 and I have a couple questions. First off, I have the PS3 hooked up to my Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver, should I set the PS3 to Bitsream or PCM? Which would sound better and which would display Multichannel vs Dolby Digitial. And second, I have an older Pioneer PRO-73HD projection TV that has up to 1080i. I tried playing Haze demo and it seemed to downgrade the picture to 480i/p. I have the PS3 set to 1080i, should I set it to 720p so games that are native to 720p wont downgrade? Thanks

Onkyo 605 - Pioneer Pro-730HD - HD-XA2
XBL: Degenerazn
PSN: Degenerazn
Wii: 8392 0559 3275 9767
post #1375 of 2925 Old 06-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

I did see a few posts on heat issues a few pages back, but I think I may have a slightly different issue.

I just picked up an 80gb PS3 in the MGS4 bundle, and my console shuts off from heat after playing MGS4 for about 1 - 1.5 hrs (it turns off and has a flashing red light). I can turn it on immediately after, but then it shuts off again in 10 minutes or so.

The console doesn't shut down if I have a fan sitting in front of it and blowing on it. I've placed it vertically on a stand besides my entertainment center, so it has lots of space around and above it. I don't have A/C, but my room temperature was only 78-80F.

After this happened, I tried leaving it on overnight to download demos -- it didn't shutdown at all over night. I also played some less intensive games for an hour (like pixeljunk monsters), and it did not overheat.

Is this normal? I assume since it's in the troubleshooting section, overheating isn't such an odd occurrence, but it seems like such a hack to have to put a fan in front of the system to play MGS4.
post #1376 of 2925 Old 06-13-2008, 11:20 AM

Just got the 80gb MGS4 bundle as well and I have an interesting problem regarding audio playback.

PS3 is connected to a Denon 2308 AVR via HDMI passing audio and video. It's outputting Linear PCM to the receiver so the receiver shows 7.1 multi channel input while in the main PS3 menu and in games and I get full sound.

However when I put in the Blu-Ray demo disc the PS3 switches to DD 2 channel and I get no sound from my receiver. I additionally tried a DVD (Matrix Reloaded) and got sound only when the disc was sourcing 5.1. The DVD title menu had no sound while the movie played fine.

I'm somewhat stumped. I'll go home tonight and try direct sourcing the HDMI from the PS3 to the TV to see if that changes anything. But I haven't had any problems with my receiver and my Xbox and regular cable.
post #1377 of 2925 Old 06-13-2008, 02:49 PM

is it possible to run the audio through HDMI to my tv and at the sametime run optical 5.1 sound to my ONKYO ?

also how do you program the harmony 1 to the PS3 using the NYKO BluWave ?
post #1378 of 2925 Old 06-13-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicq View Post

I did see a few posts on heat issues a few pages back, but I think I may have a slightly different issue.

I just picked up an 80gb PS3 in the MGS4 bundle, and my console shuts off from heat after playing MGS4 for about 1 - 1.5 hrs (it turns off and has a flashing red light). I can turn it on immediately after, but then it shuts off again in 10 minutes or so.

The console doesn't shut down if I have a fan sitting in front of it and blowing on it. I've placed it vertically on a stand besides my entertainment center, so it has lots of space around and above it. I don't have A/C, but my room temperature was only 78-80F.

After this happened, I tried leaving it on overnight to download demos -- it didn't shutdown at all over night. I also played some less intensive games for an hour (like pixeljunk monsters), and it did not overheat.

Is this normal? I assume since it's in the troubleshooting section, overheating isn't such an odd occurrence, but it seems like such a hack to have to put a fan in front of the system to play MGS4.

Heat issues like that are not normal. Go back and exchange for a new one.

-Splints
post #1379 of 2925 Old 06-13-2008, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn View Post

I am a proud new owner of a 80gig PS3 and I have a couple questions. First off, I have the PS3 hooked up to my Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver, should I set the PS3 to Bitsream or PCM? Which would sound better and which would display Multichannel vs Dolby Digitial. And second, I have an older Pioneer PRO-73HD projection TV that has up to 1080i. I tried playing Haze demo and it seemed to downgrade the picture to 480i/p. I have the PS3 set to 1080i, should I set it to 720p so games that are native to 720p wont downgrade? Thanks

Check the PS3 FAQ in the blu-ray player forum for details, but the short answer is lossless audio, select PCM as the PS3 can't bitstream lossless codecs to the 605. If your really fanatical, you can switch to bitstream for non-lossless codecs.

-Splints
post #1380 of 2925 Old 06-13-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Shooter View Post

is it possible to run the audio through HDMI to my tv and at the sametime run optical 5.1 sound to my ONKYO ?

also how do you program the harmony 1 to the PS3 using the NYKO BluWave ?

Yes, you can use optical. I believe it's 2 channel on the optical not 5.1. You can bitstream audio but I can't remember off the top of my head what's the max bandwidth it can support. Check the PS3 FAQ for details.

As for programming, check the Harmony thread in the remote control section, I'm sure they know exactly what codes to input.

-Splints
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page