PS3 problems and setup issues thread! - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 2925 Old 10-18-2008, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured it out. Tv was a open box deal and i found out why, the firmware was messed and it made the tv not hdcp so my ps3 wouldnt handshake with it.thks for anyone that tried to help.To fix the problem i had to return it.haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2925 Old 10-18-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Ray - Have you tried manually setting up the ps3's video output? Make sure you uncheck 1080i and see if that forces the ps3 to output 1080p at all times.
post #1623 of 2925 Old 10-18-2008, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

Ray - Have you tried manually setting up the ps3's video output? Make sure you uncheck 1080i and see if that forces the ps3 to output 1080p at all times.

I manually tried to set up the video output options for the HDMI but the 480p is set for ON and "greyed" out and I cannot change it. I did shut the 1080i off leaving only the greyed 480p and the 1080p selected. When I view BDs the TV sees 480p. When I add the 1080i choice back in the HDMI setup I than get the 1080i back again but still no 1080p. It looks like I get to experience the wonderfull Sony Customer Service...I can hardly wait.

Thanks for the suggestion though,

Ray
post #1624 of 2925 Old 10-18-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

good luck!
post #1625 of 2925 Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM

I'm having some problems with my Playstation3 video. I have a feeling its my cable, but I want to make sure its not something else before I buy a new one.

When plugged in using component there are purple horizontal bars that slowly scroll up the screen. The cable is a Monster Cable, Monster Game Gamelink 400 CVAA (Thats what it says on the cable). I've attempted to test it by using HDMI, but I can't get it to show a picture when using HDMI. For the HDMI I've tried do the reset holding down the power button for 3 seconds, and I've connected both the component and HDMI to try to get it to work with no luck. Anyone have an ideas if this the cable, I'm just hoping its not something worse like the PS3 itself.

Thank

James Van Cleef
post #1626 of 2925 Old 10-20-2008, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvancleef View Post

I'm having some problems with my Playstation3 video. I have a feeling its my cable, but I want to make sure its not something else before I buy a new one.

When plugged in using component there are purple horizontal bars that slowly scroll up the screen. The cable is a Monster Cable, Monster Game Gamelink 400 CVAA (Thats what it says on the cable). I've attempted to test it by using HDMI, but I can't get it to show a picture when using HDMI. For the HDMI I've tried do the reset holding down the power button for 3 seconds, and I've connected both the component and HDMI to try to get it to work with no luck. Anyone have an ideas if this the cable, I'm just hoping its not something worse like the PS3 itself.

Thank

James Van Cleef

Do you have another HDMI source to test the HDMI to the tv? It could be the tv's firmware or the tv's port that is the problem as well.

If you need another HDMI cable, go to monoprice and pick them up. Equal or higher quality than Monster for 1/10th of the price.

Have you also tried different resolutions on the HDMI? like 720p or 1080i?

-Splints
post #1627 of 2925 Old 10-20-2008, 03:26 PM

Liked: 11
When I turn my PS3 on, either with the front panel or the SIXAXIS controller, my Nyko Bluwave receiver that is plugged into USB usually snags the controller 1 identity. This is annoying in games, e.g. GTA that require you play the game with controller 1. You have to go through the procedure to re-assign the controller number before you can play.

Does anyone know any trick, other than leaving the USB unplugged (which kind of defeats the point of a remote control), that will cause the SIXAXIS controller to reliably become controller 1?

Do the other IR remote solutions have this same problem?
post #1628 of 2925 Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 AM

Has anyone had the problem of blu rays movies freezing up during playback? Games work fine so does everything else. When it does freeze it doesn't resume playback, I have to exit to the ps3 menu take out the disc and put it back in and 10 to 30 min. later it freezes again. Is ther a fix or do I have to send it to PS?
post #1629 of 2925 Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persil View Post

When I turn my PS3 on, either with the front panel or the SIXAXIS controller, my Nyko Bluwave receiver that is plugged into USB usually snags the controller 1 identity. This is annoying in games, e.g. GTA that require you play the game with controller 1. You have to go through the procedure to re-assign the controller number before you can play.

Does anyone know any trick, other than leaving the USB unplugged (which kind of defeats the point of a remote control), that will cause the SIXAXIS controller to reliably become controller 1?

Do the other IR remote solutions have this same problem?

I had a similar issue w/a USB controller. Unfortunately, I was never able to figure out a way to fix it other than to remove the controller itself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me7488 View Post

Has anyone had the problem of blu rays movies freezing up during playback? Games work fine so does everything else. When it does freeze it doesn't resume playback, I have to exit to the ps3 menu take out the disc and put it back in and 10 to 30 min. later it freezes again. Is ther a fix or do I have to send it to PS?

This has never happened to me. I'd suggest calling up Sony...
post #1630 of 2925 Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 PM

I was checking out videos on YouTube on my PS3 the other night. As I tried to exit the browser, it froze. There was no response from the controller or the standby button, whatsoever. I had to turn it off with the switch in the back. Any ideas what may have caused this?
post #1631 of 2925 Old 10-21-2008, 01:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Does it do it with any blu ray movie? May just be bad disk. Mine would freeze but also games would to. It got to the point where the disk would not even be listed under video or game. When yours freezes do you see the blue disk icon?
I had to send mine in for repair. What model PS3 do you have?

PSN ID mitzman

post #1632 of 2925 Old 10-21-2008, 03:53 PM

I don't get any sub from my ps3 while playing video games, but my sub works fine when watching a movie (blu-ray and dvd) on the ps3 and with other things. My ps3 is hooked up to my Sony DA5200ES receiver through HDMI. I have a Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX sub connected with LFE. No matter what format the sound is in I don't get any bass, the receives shows that it is getting the LFE signal, but absolutely nothing goes to the subwoofer. Any ideas?
post #1633 of 2925 Old 10-21-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:

My 60GB launch model just did this for the very first time today while watching The Incredible Hulk BR from Netflix. Frove up and when I tried to play it again I got error 80029941. Games are playing fine and everything else seems to be normal. I'm hoping it was a defective disc.
post #1634 of 2925 Old 10-22-2008, 06:18 AM

Yesterday afternoon, I finished playing a game on my PS3 and put it on standby. A few hours later I started it back up again, only to be met with a "Not Supported Mode" black screen. Nothing was changed between the time I turned the PS3 off, and the time I started it back up, so I am perplexed.

My TV is a Samsung DLP with a max resolution of 1080i. I am work right now so I don't know the exact model # but it is about 4 years old. I have the PS3hooked up via component cables. I tried resetting the PS3 video settings by holding down the power button while on standby, I heard some beeps but nothing changed, I still got the "Not Supported Mode" screen. I switched the component cables to a different TV input, same problem. After that, I hooked up the PS3 via composite cables. I then went into the display settings to try to change the resolution. 480i was checked, so then I shut down the PS3 and switched it back to the component cables. Same error screen when I started back up. Then I plugged back in the composite cables and went back into the settings, and checked off "1080i" which is what I always used before. The screen went black of course because a composite cable can't show that resolution, but I went ahead and shut down and restarted with the component cables... same problem. My final idea was to go into the settings and do the "reset factory defaults" option. That didn't fix the problem either.

I have tried starting the PS3 up with a game, a movie, and nothing inserted and it's always the same error message.

I am sorry for the long and somewhat rambling post, but I am at my wit's end here. It's very frustrating because I don't understand how it could be working fine for a year and a half and then suddenly stop working when nothing has changed.

Thanks for any assistance anybody can provide!
post #1635 of 2925 Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

It could be your TV...

Check the TV and see if there's a way to reset it to factory defaults. Do you have anything else that uses components that you could connect to the TV? See if those work. If not, it might be time to get a new TV or at least get it repaired...
post #1636 of 2925 Old 10-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Have kind of a strange issue, thought I'd see if I can get help here before creating a thread.

Since 2.5 I can no longer access most of my streamed music. The strange part is I can access my music playlists and other media just fine, but trying to pull up tunes through "All Music" gives me a DLNA protocol error (7522).

I'm just using WMP to stream, and I went in to make sure everything was shared and sync'd but I might have missed something. Any advice?

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
post #1637 of 2925 Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:

It could be your TV...

Check the TV and see if there's a way to reset it to factory defaults. Do you have anything else that uses components that you could connect to the TV? See if those work. If not, it might be time to get a new TV or at least get it repaired...

I plugged my Wii up into the same component jack and it worked, so the jack is still good. I also got my PS2 component cable and tried to use it with the PS3 (I assume they're compatible?) and got the same black screen with the error message, so I assume it is not a cable problem. I'll see if I can find a way online somewhere to reset my TV to defaults.
post #1638 of 2925 Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mw182006 View Post

Have kind of a strange issue, thought I'd see if I can get help here before creating a thread.

Since 2.5 I can no longer access most of my streamed music. The strange part is I can access my music playlists and other media just fine, but trying to pull up tunes through "All Music" gives me a DLNA protocol error (7522).

I'm just using WMP to stream, and I went in to make sure everything was shared and sync'd but I might have missed something. Any advice?

I don't have an answer for you but just for comparison all music is streaming fine on my PS3.

PS3 FW v2.5, WinXP, MP3's, streaming through both WMP11 and Tversity, wired through WRT54gl
post #1639 of 2925 Old 10-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac View Post

Does it do it with any blu ray movie? May just be bad disk. Mine would freeze but also games would to. It got to the point where the disk would not even be listed under video or game. When yours freezes do you see the blue disk icon?
I had to send mine in for repair. What model PS3 do you have?

NO, this is happening with the last five blu rays I played. and yes the disc icon is there.
post #1640 of 2925 Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Dude View Post

My 60GB launch model just did this for the very first time today while watching The Incredible Hulk BR from Netflix. Frove up and when I tried to play it again I got error 80029941. Games are playing fine and everything else seems to be normal. I'm hoping it was a defective disc.

Its a 80 g.
post #1641 of 2925 Old 10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceGuy View Post

I plugged my Wii up into the same component jack and it worked, so the jack is still good. I also got my PS2 component cable and tried to use it with the PS3 (I assume they're compatible?) and got the same black screen with the error message, so I assume it is not a cable problem. I'll see if I can find a way online somewhere to reset my TV to defaults.

Good to know it's not the TV then. Yeah, PS2 component cable is the same as the PS3's. You could also try doing a format and restore on the ps3's hard drive. That's like the last thing you want to do before calling Sony tech support.
post #1642 of 2925 Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM

I just bought a brand new Toshiba-40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV-40RV525U and connected it directly to my ps3 using a Dynex HDMI cable. I kept getting flicker when the ps3 is set to 1080p on the x-bar, however, BD movies worked fine. So i thought it was my crappy HDMI cable, so I bought a Monster Cable-Ultra Series 800 4' HDMI A/V for $99, but I still have the same problem. My tv runs at 1080p at both 24hz and 60hz.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam
post #1643 of 2925 Old 10-23-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Good to know it's not the TV then. Yeah, PS2 component cable is the same as the PS3's. You could also try doing a format and restore on the ps3's hard drive. That's like the last thing you want to do before calling Sony tech support.

I managed to fix my problem last night. I felt so stupid for not doing this before, but anyways if someone else happens to have this problem and read this, here is what I did:

I have 3 component jacks on my TV. 2 say "480p, 720p, 1080i" and 1 says "480i, 480p". I have always had my PS3 in one of the two that can do 1080i and I had the PS3 set up to display that resolution. Sometime in the span of a couple of hours while it was on standby it apparently reset itself to 480i, so that jack would no longer work. I plugged in the cable into the 480i/480p jack and then went into the options and changed it to 480p which then allowed me to switch to one of the other jacks and change it to 1080i. Now all is well again and if it happens again I'll know what to do!
post #1644 of 2925 Old 10-23-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRuby View Post

I just bought a brand new Toshiba-40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV-40RV525U and connected it directly to my ps3 using a Dynex HDMI cable. I kept getting flicker when the ps3 is set to 1080p on the x-bar, however, BD movies worked fine. So i thought it was my crappy HDMI cable, so I bought a Monster Cable-Ultra Series 800 4' HDMI A/V for $99, but I still have the same problem. My tv runs at 1080p at both 24hz and 60hz.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam

I can't help ya with your 1080p flicker. But I hope you saved the receipt for that Monster cable. TAKE IT BACK!
You can get an equally good (arguably better) quality HDMI cable from Monoprice.com for around $10

Monster = Monstrously Overpriced
post #1645 of 2925 Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I'm in trouble. I just got my PS3 back (second time) and want to redownload all my PSN games. Now it tells me "The PS3 system cannot be activated. This content cannot be used. 5 PS3 systems......" I traded PSN games here a couple of times, and this is my 3rd PS3 that I'm trying to get my games back. The other two I've downloaded my games on. Now I'm assuming this will be the 6th PS3. What do I do now? I can't activate it, it tells me to deactivate the other PS3s.

Onkyo 605 - Pioneer Pro-730HD - HD-XA2
XBL: Degenerazn
PSN: Degenerazn
Wii: 8392 0559 3275 9767
post #1646 of 2925 Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mw182006 View Post

Bump

X360 games up for trade/$: GTA4, Top Spin 3, Jericho, Dark Sector, RB6: Vegas, Burnout Revenge, Gears of War -- PM me!
post #1647 of 2925 Old 10-24-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone had problems with getting a downloaded game to install? I purchased the Tekken: DR bundle, and I've tried to download and install it 7 times now. The download finishes (it takes about an hour), but the game won't install (error code 80029564).

Before anyone asks:

-I have a 160GB HDD, with over 100GB of free space
-I have the PS3 in a DMZ, so it's probably not a port issue
-I have tried background downloading and not background downloading, multiple times each way
post #1648 of 2925 Old 10-25-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I've downloaded it 11 times now, and still it won't install. I tried backing up the hard drive and restoring the backup, and it didn't do any good. I even restored the default settings first, because I thought that "Restore PS3 System" was for restoring a backup (whoops).

The last resort, I suppose, is to copy the game saves manually (good thing I don't have any protected files) to a USB flash drive, then format the drive and try again.

I have to say, this has really soured me on downloadable games from PSN, and even digital distribution in general. I've never had a problem installing a disc-based game, or even getting a patch. I'm almost certain they won't give me a refund, and if I don't get this installed, I won't buy any more PSN games.
post #1649 of 2925 Old 10-25-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

Well, I've downloaded it 11 times now, and still it won't install. I tried backing up the hard drive and restoring the backup, and it didn't do any good. I even restored the default settings first, because I thought that "Restore PS3 System" was for restoring a backup (whoops).

The last resort, I suppose, is to copy the game saves manually (good thing I don't have any protected files) to a USB flash drive, then format the drive and try again.

I have to say, this has really soured me on downloadable games from PSN, and even digital distribution in general. I've never had a problem installing a disc-based game, or even getting a patch. I'm almost certain they won't give me a refund, and if I don't get this installed, I won't buy any more PSN games.

Does PSN offer any free or try & buy games (free trial period)? If they do you might want to try another free dl, see if that loads.
Maybe it's that particular game that is malfunctioning?

I don't game so I dunno if they offer such free or trial stuff.
post #1650 of 2925 Old 10-25-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

Does PSN offer any free or try & buy games (free trial period)? If they do you might want to try another free dl, see if that loads.
Maybe it's that particular game that is malfunctioning?

I don't game so I dunno if they offer such free or trial stuff.

Yeah, I'm downloading it again now, and if it doesn't work I'll try Rayman (PSX), which is the only other PSN game I've bought so far. I had no problem downloading and installing that one.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page