post #181 of 2925 Old 11-27-2006, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

No. Like my title said, it is a 20gb version. Does the 20gb not have a media card compartment??

Thanks,

Ian B

Sorry didn't notice the title. No, the 20GB doesn't have the media card slots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2925 Old 11-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

Sorry didn't notice the title. No, the 20GB doesn't have the media card slots.

That explains it. Thanks for the info and glad I did not force it and broke it.

Ian B
post #183 of 2925 Old 11-27-2006, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Just tried earlier today to hook-up my ipod video to Ps3 but, it showed no tracks. Is this a compatability issue, me doing something wrong or an upcoming firmware fix??

The ipod is a 5gen for windows unit. Most of my songs are MP3 and few from i-tunes.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Ian B

I got my girl a video ipod 30gb for xmas. I tested it on the ps3 and it didn't even detect the device at all...

Howshmadilly. Put it down..............cham-pion-ship!
post #184 of 2925 Old 11-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrognomerical View Post

I got my girl a video ipod 30gb for xmas. I tested it on the ps3 and it didn't even detect the device at all...

Got it to work tonight and show all the music videos and mp3 songs. It is a matter of using the triangle button once it recognizes the ipod and movie between film and music tab to view the files from the ipod. From there, you can copy each of the files as long as the format is supported by the PS3.

Good luck,

Ian B
post #185 of 2925 Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

^ Guys, I think I'm having a similar problem. I copied about 30 mp3's to a USB thumb drive and when I plugged it into the PS3 the OS said "No tracks on disk". There was also some .jpeg files on the drive and the "Photo" tab again said "No photos on disk" I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Friends don't let friends game in SD.
post #186 of 2925 Old 11-28-2006, 09:58 AM

I know about the triangle thing cuz i use that with my external hd and my flash reader, but when i hooked up the ipod it didnt pop up the usb device icon at all. i guess ill try again after work. i am excited to hear that at least some have got it to work already.

post #187 of 2925 Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Got my replacement PS3 today. It was a brand new unit as promised in a whole new box
with new manuals, etc. I installed the 1.11 update without any issues. I did manage to
sample a couple of my blu-rays without a hitch. Didnt get to play games but I will set aside
some alone time with it this weekend. There is one thing I find strange, before I installed the update the background was a nice red color, now it's an ugly gray. Whats up with that?
My first system was this ugly gray too, I just assumed it was normal.
post #188 of 2925 Old 11-29-2006, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidme View Post

... before I installed the update the background was a nice red color, now it's an ugly gray. Whats up with that?
My first system was this ugly gray too, I just assumed it was normal.

I believe the background color is based on month and the brightness (or blackness) is based on time of day or night.

So maybe before you set it up you didn't have the date/time set yet?
post #189 of 2925 Old 11-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

DaverJ, If you are correct then I for sure want an update to change menu appearance.
Nothing way out there, but alittle more classy, if that makes sense.
post #190 of 2925 Old 11-30-2006, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidme View Post

DaverJ, If you are correct then I for sure want an update to change menu appearance.
Nothing way out there, but alittle more classy, if that makes sense.

One thing they do with the background I like is when you park over a game menu in the dashboard the a background image appears for the game and sometimes gameplay can be seen in the icon.

The game's music theme will also play, which would be cool if the music for different games wasn't was so much louder than everything else.
post #191 of 2925 Old 11-30-2006, 09:59 AM

Once I set up my PS3 to my new tv via HDMI the audio for the Motorstorm Demo is speaker blowing loud. Everything else is still normal. I mean seriously if i accidently pass over the demo in the menu with the stereo at a normal volume my system practically explodes. Its strange, it didn't do that over composite and no other demos or games do it...

post #192 of 2925 Old 11-30-2006, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrognomerical View Post

Once I set up my PS3 to my new tv via HDMI the audio for the Motorstorm Demo is speaker blowing loud.

Yep, it does it via optical also. Flipping through the demo icons, I have scared the wife more than once!
post #193 of 2925 Old 11-30-2006, 06:19 PM

I am not able to get my Panasonic Plasma (TH-50PX600U) to work with the PS3 via the HDMI cable.I can ,however, connect the PS3 to the Panasonic TV via the AV cable supplied alongwith the PS3.

I checked the HDMI cable with Best Buy who verified that it was working.The cable is a Monster M Series M1000HD HDTV HDMI Cable.

I called up Panasonic customer care and they were not able to help me out although I had configured my TV correctly.In fact, they wanted me to get back to them in case I found a solution to my problem as I was the first person to have reported this kind of issue.

Please help me figure out a solution as I am stuck with 480 p resolution.

Thanks
post #194 of 2925 Old 11-30-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d View Post

Anyone else having issues with 5.1 sound and Talladega Nights? I can only get 2 channel PCM sound from this Blu Ray disk. Its connected via an optical cable. 5.1 works fine on games.

I'm having this problem. "DMRSX" reported the same problem on page 2 of this forum, but I don't think there have been any responses to it. PCM and DD 5.1 tracks stutter and skip every couple of seconds, or faster.

It's not just Talladega Nights, it seems to be any Blu-ray disc with uncompressed PCM or uncompressed Dolby Digital. The only way to listen to it is to drop it down to two-channel linear PCM sound. Blu-ray discs with DTS, however, are working fine for both me and the other guy who posted. He got Kingdom of Heaven's DTS-ES soundtrack working fine, and I have Ice Age 2's DTS working. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang's Dolby soundtrack doesn't work either.

It doesn't matter what setting I pick, or what optical input I use on my receiver, or even if I switch to component cables instead of HDMI. However, standard Dolby 5.1 works perfectly through DVD movies and PS3 games (granted, this format is actually encoded on those discs in compressed form).

I have a Sony STR-DE985 receiver using optical, and a Sony CRT XBR TV using the HDMI cable for video.

I called Sony tonight for the second time and they are stumped. They agree with me that there's probably nothing wrong with the PS3 since EVERYTHING else works correctly. However, they claim to not be getting calls about this issue.

They took down my name, number and issue, which they say is the first step in what will require a lot more users calling in about this issue to get it addressed.

However, he did say that there are known "compatibility issues" with certain blu-ray movies (though he claimed not to have a detailed list), and he said that Super Audio CDs currently do not play through the optical cable ... a problem that IS being worked on right now through an upcoming firmware update. Hopefully, that fix will also quietly fix this problem.

Is anyone out there getting a perfect, STANDARD Dolby Digital 5.1 signal (not high-def, uncompressed 5.1) through DD5.1 Blu-ray disc MOVIES on the PS3 while using an optical cable? If so, could you please post details about which movies work, and what receiver you're using?

UPDATE TO MY POST: I noticed a response which said to choose "bitstream" for optical audio in the Blu-ray disc playback settings. I've had this selected all along, and it doesn't correct the problem.

FINAL UPDATE: It's confirmed to be my receiver. For anyone out there having this problem, it's because your receiver can't handle a Dolby Digital signal provided at 640k through optical. There is no option to make the PS3 only provide a 400k signal. Mine was a newer Sony receiver which could handle Dolby Digital EX and DTS, and had lots of component and optical inputs, yet when I took my PS3 and my same cable over to a family member's older Yamaha receiver, the movies' soundtracks played just fine.
post #195 of 2925 Old 12-01-2006, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No. Like my title said, it is a 20gb version. Does the 20gb not have a media card compartment??

Thanks,

Ian B

NO only the 60gb
post #196 of 2925 Old 12-01-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Yep, it does it via optical also. Flipping through the demo icons, I have scared the wife more than once!

yep over optical also, and for some reason my PS3 starts up on this icon - can I change that?
post #197 of 2925 Old 12-01-2006, 02:58 PM

Only two problems so far. One seems to be a game problem and the other could be either game or system.

NHL2k7 locks up regularly in various places. 2KSports had no clue.

NBA2k7 is listed to play in 1080p. It downscales to 720p. Other 1080p games / movies play at 1080p.
post #198 of 2925 Old 12-01-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlohrenz View Post

NBA2k7 is listed to play in 1080p. It downscales to 720p. Other 1080p games / movies play at 1080p.

That's a mistake on the packaging. NBA2K7 is 720p max. I think COD3 also mistakenly lists 1080p on the back.
post #199 of 2925 Old 12-01-2006, 08:34 PM

They have to start checking a little more. Or the devs were hoping for the ps3 to upscale games to 1080p.
post #200 of 2925 Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 PM
AAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

That's a mistake on the packaging. NBA2K7 is 720p max. I think COD3 also mistakenly lists 1080p on the back.

Nope, one of NBA 2K7 PS3's major marketing points was the 1080p support. Notice how 2ksports has PS3 ads as "True-HD" as opposed to the older 360 ads. Trust me, I'm a frequenter of the 2k sports, specifically nba 2k7 boards, on 2ksports.com. I'm pretty much an NBA 2K7 PS3 freak, and if this game really doesn't play at 1080p or can't play at 1080p sometime soon, I'm gonna be really disappointed. I don't have a PS3 yet, but still. Oh-and also, Gamespot's review of PS3 NBA 2K7 (albeit a bad one, check IGN's one for imho the better review) mentioned them running the game in 1080p.
post #201 of 2925 Old 12-02-2006, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAU View Post

Nope, one of NBA 2K7 PS3's major marketing points was the 1080p support. Notice how 2ksports has PS3 ads as "True-HD" as opposed to the older 360 ads. Trust me, I'm a frequenter of the 2k sports, specifically nba 2k7 boards, on 2ksports.com. I'm pretty much an NBA 2K7 PS3 freak, and if this game really doesn't play at 1080p or can't play at 1080p sometime soon, I'm gonna be really disappointed. I don't have a PS3 yet, but still. Oh-and also, Gamespot's review of PS3 NBA 2K7 (albeit a bad one, check IGN's one for imho the better review) mentioned them running the game in 1080p.

I bought NHL 2007 and RFOM today with my PS3. Both are 720p. MY tv is a GW3 50in. RPTV @788p. NHL looks great, RFOM is incredible. Cut scenes in RFOM to game play are fluid and there is NO difference, it is that good. I think it is better than Half LIfe 2 that I play on my PC connected to my 50in.

I downloaded House of Flying Daggers trailer on my PS3. It was MPEG4/720p although it said 1080p on Sony Store, and it looked less than stellar. I HD DVRed it a month back in 1080i on I believe it was HBO. It looked incredible on my tv. I also have downloaded 1080p WMV clips and they are what HD should look like on my tv. Not like that Talladega crappy compressed BD. I look so forward to seeing what quality BD discs can do, because I know that even though my tv is not 1080p it shows 1080i stunningly.
post #202 of 2925 Old 12-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

I have a quick question. Have any of you figured out how to get audio out of both the optical AND the Multi A/V connector. I have my PS3 hooked up to a HDTV via component via the Multa A/V video and audio cables, and route the optical digital audio out to my receiver. I can get audio on either one but not both at the same time so if I don't have my receiver on the TV has no audio OR if I want to run the stereo for better sound it has no sound. Surely you don't have to reset the audio options back and forth

Also does this hooked to HDTV VIA hdmi; TV gets audio via HDMI no toslink optical out
post #203 of 2925 Old 12-02-2006, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was watching Ice Age 2 and it dropped the HDMi connection for about 2 seconds. No sound was lost as I am using optical, but has anyone experienced this? Think this is a cable issue or PS3 issue?
post #204 of 2925 Old 12-02-2006, 08:06 AM

the game that is pushing the true HD 1080p stuff is NBA 07 which is Sony's NBA game. People mix up 2k and that all the time and they are very different games.
post #205 of 2925 Old 12-02-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post

^ Guys, I think I'm having a similar problem. I copied about 30 mp3's to a USB thumb drive and when I plugged it into the PS3 the OS said "No tracks on disk". There was also some .jpeg files on the drive and the "Photo" tab again said "No photos on disk" I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I'm having the same problem concerning using a USB thumb drive containing jpeg photos. I've tried placing them in the top-level directory as well as in sub-directories called Photo, PHOTO, Photos, and PHOTOS. My PS3 says that there are no photos present.

Anyone have ideas of how to get this to work?
post #206 of 2925 Old 12-02-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

I was watching Ice Age 2 and it dropped the HDMi connection for about 2 seconds. No sound was lost as I am using optical, but has anyone experienced this? Think this is a cable issue or PS3 issue?

It's done this to me a couple of times. I think once was during a game. I would bet on it being a hiccup in the PS3 processor? After all, it only happened for 2 seconds over approximately 15 hours of use. My HDMI cable is Acoustic Research. It's not el cheapo, but it's not a Monster cable either.

By the way, you said the sound didn't drop out, because you're using optical. Does the optical audio give you regular Dolby 5.1 on your Talladega Nights BD without dropping out constantly? That's my issue on non-DTS BDs.
post #207 of 2925 Old 12-02-2006, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHero View Post

It's done this to me a couple of times. I think once was during a game. I would bet on it being a hiccup in the PS3 processor? After all, it only happened for 2 seconds over approximately 15 hours of use. My HDMI cable is Acoustic Research. It's not el cheapo, but it's not a Monster cable either.

By the way, you said the sound didn't drop out, because you're using optical. Does the optical audio give you regular Dolby 5.1 on your Talladega Nights BD without dropping out constantly? That's my issue on non-DTS BDs.

No issue with Talladega Nights. The sound played fine. The only issue is the HDMI drop with Ice Age. Bothersome, but not a deal breaker I guess.
post #208 of 2925 Old 12-02-2006, 07:57 PM

Liked: 832
I'm also having problems with very slow download times. RFOM is been downloading for an hour and a half now and is only at 83%!

Has anyone had these slow downloads and found a way to fix them? Or is it limited to some users and not everyone? (IE too much server load for the region i'm on, Boston/NE).

I'm currently using wired, due to the wireless not working with my WEP which I use key 3 for.

any help is very appreciated
post #209 of 2925 Old 12-02-2006, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I also experienced another HDMI video drop on Speed. This is starting to get annoying. Maybe it is my cable? I will try another one tomorrow and see what happens.

I am running a Sony VPL-VW50 into the PS3. I brought a friends over as well and experienced a drop on his so I narrowed it down to the cable or the HDMI input on the projector (but the input works fine with my HD-A1 and satellite receiver).

For the time being I may just use component as this is very annoying.
post #210 of 2925 Old 12-03-2006, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I'm also having problems with very slow download times. RFOM is been downloading for an hour and a half now and is only at 83%!

Has anyone had these slow downloads and found a way to fix them? Or is it limited to some users and not everyone? (IE too much server load for the region i'm on, Boston/NE).

I'm currently using wired, due to the wireless not working with my WEP which I use key 3 for.

any help is very appreciated

We're in NJ and downloaded 3 demos yesterday (Resistance, F1, Motorstorm), no problem with the DL speed. Might be a local/ISP problem. Using a Linksys wireless game adapter to Linksys router with Comcast.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page