PS3 problems and setup issues thread! - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 2925 Old 12-03-2006, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone tried to play a standard DVD? When I try to play any widescreen DVD on the Westinghouse 37W3, it looks like it is in 4:3 mode. I've tried all settings in the BD and Display menus, still plays in 4:3 mode. I hooked the PS3 up to my old Dell 26" lcd and got 720P, and the dvd filled the screen correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2925 Old 12-03-2006, 07:22 AM

Liked: 10
Fred does you connection ever drop like when you are going into a website. My internet does this all the time it will say looking for website. Does this ever happen to you?
post #213 of 2925 Old 12-03-2006, 07:27 AM

My PS 3 keeps freezing up on me.
Its really hot and I'm not sure what to do?
I updated the firware as soon as I got home and then set up my machine.
Since the update...I haven't been able to use it.

www.FREESTYLE.fm
....Its not who you love...Its how!!!
post #214 of 2925 Old 12-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
^ Guys, I think I'm having a similar problem. I copied about 30 mp3's to a USB thumb drive and when I plugged it into the PS3 the OS said "No tracks on disk". There was also some .jpeg files on the drive and the "Photo" tab again said "No photos on disk" I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I'm having the same problem concerning using a USB thumb drive containing jpeg photos. I've tried placing them in the top-level directory as well as in sub-directories called Photo, PHOTO, Photos, and PHOTOS. My PS3 says that there are no photos present.

Anyone have ideas of how to get this to work?[quote]

I'm searching for an answer to the same problem. Anybody?
post #215 of 2925 Old 12-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Another issue I'm trying to resolve: I have the 60 gig model and a PSP. I'm trying to use the remote play function but it says I need to enable ATRAC. When I try to do this, I can't because I don't have an internet connection. Unfortunately high speed internet's not even available where I live.

Any ideas?
post #216 of 2925 Old 12-03-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandxp View Post

Has anyone tried to play a standard DVD? When I try to play any widescreen DVD on the Westinghouse 37W3, it looks like it is in 4:3 mode. I've tried all settings in the BD and Display menus, still plays in 4:3 mode. I hooked the PS3 up to my old Dell 26" lcd and got 720P, and the dvd filled the screen correctly.

UPdate: just press the fill button on the remote, all is fine.

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #217 of 2925 Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

OK,

I was able to get pictures/music/videos from my USB drive.

First with the usb drive plugged into the computer, I created a file named PS3. Within the PS3 folder I created separete folders named PICTURE, MUSIC, and VIDEO. (within the video folder I created another folder named 100MNV01 only because that's the way it was set up on my PSP) I don't know if this is ALL necessary but it worked for me.

Next I copied the respective files that I wanted off my computer into their respective folders. I chose some photos and copied them into the PICTURES folder, songs into the MUSIC folder and so on. I had a home video that I copied into the 100MNV01 folder that worked.

Next I plugged the usb drive into the PS3.

I went to PHOTO, scrolled to USB drive, hit the triangle button, selected "display all", chose the PS3 folder, inside the PS3 folder I chose the PICTURE folder, hit the triangle button, and then chose copy. I did that with the MUSIC and VIDEO folders too.

It worked great. Maybe there's other ways to do it, but for now it got me where I wanted to be.
post #218 of 2925 Old 12-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHero View Post

By the way, you said the sound didn't drop out, because you're using optical. Does the optical audio give you regular Dolby 5.1 on your Talladega Nights BD without dropping out constantly? That's my issue on non-DTS BDs.

This sounds a lot like what is happening to me. How long do your audio drop outs last? I am using optical audio with a 6 year old JVC receiver. The audio will occasionally just vanish for 10 - 20 seconds on Dolby Digital DVDs - usually at a chapter break. DTS has not problem. If I switch the receiver on and off, the sound returns immediately. That is leading me to thing there is some sort of compatibility issues with the receiver.

Guess I will have to break down and buy one with HDMI.
post #219 of 2925 Old 12-04-2006, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschellva View Post

This sounds a lot like what is happening to me. How long do your audio drop outs last? I am using optical audio with a 6 year old JVC receiver. The audio will occasionally just vanish for 10 - 20 seconds on Dolby Digital DVDs - usually at a chapter break. DTS has not problem. If I switch the receiver on and off, the sound returns immediately. That is leading me to thing there is some sort of compatibility issues with the receiver.

My audio drop outs were constant, like a rapid-fire skipping sound every couple of seconds or so, like a really bad streaming internet connection.

I went back and edited my original post. Unfortunately, it is definitely the receiver that can't handle the signal. The PS3 delivers the full signal, and it's just too much to handle, I guess. I don't know why DTS is immune, though.
post #220 of 2925 Old 12-04-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone4690 View Post

Fred does you connection ever drop like when you are going into a website. My internet does this all the time it will say looking for website. Does this ever happen to you?

Not really enough to notice. We have like 5-6 computers and 3 other game consoles going out the router as well (sometimes all at the same time). We had few problems with Comcast Internet. We've probably had more problems with TV service.
post #221 of 2925 Old 12-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

carissazzzx kiiiol]k gggggggggnnnnnnnnnnnnm,.<>lb

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories
http://www.storybytes.com
post #222 of 2925 Old 12-04-2006, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I was watching Black Hawk Down on my PS3, and when the movie finished I took it out (eject button) and inserted Resistance for a quick game.

Well, I had no sound coming from my speakers when the game loaded.

Is this normal? I am connected to my Onkyo SR674 receiver using HDMI from the PS3 and LPCM enabled.

After a few minutes, I quit out of the game, and then started it up again...and this time the sound was working perfectly. Is this an HDMI issue, a PS3 issue, or an Onkyo receiver issue?

Weird...
post #223 of 2925 Old 12-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

On the thumb drive issues, be sure you have formatted the thumb drive to FAT32; PS3 can not read NTFS formatted drives. I copied a 1.8 Gig Tivo MPEG2 movie over to a Fat32 USB DRIVE under a folder called VIDEO. It plays back fine. I did have to push the triangle button to see it after selecting video from the XMB menu.
post #224 of 2925 Old 12-04-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

I was watching Black Hawk Down on my PS3, and when the movie finished I took it out (eject button) and inserted Resistance for a quick game.

Is this normal?

This was a bug that should have been fixed with the 1.11 update. What system version are you on?

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #225 of 2925 Old 12-04-2006, 06:24 PM

I have the PS3 updated to the current version. I'm running HDMI out to my projector and optical out to my Lexicon. When I first turn on the PS3 the Intro/boot music/sound comes out in 5.1(confirmed by ear and display on pre/pro). When I play a Blueray disk the only audio that I get is 2 channel, not 5.1. I have the selected 5.1 in the DVD setup menu. I have LPCM selected in the setup, in the sound section I've selected DTS, DD, ACC and the two 2 channel choices are automatically checked. I've tried only DTS, only DD and any other combination. Any help would be appreciated.
post #226 of 2925 Old 12-04-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc4242 View Post

I have the PS3 updated to the current version. I'm running HDMI out to my projector and optical out to my Lexicon. When I first turn on the PS3 the Intro/boot music/sound comes out in 5.1(confirmed by ear and display on pre/pro). When I play a Blueray disk the only audio that I get is 2 channel, not 5.1. I have the selected 5.1 in the DVD setup menu. I have LPCM selected in the setup, in the sound section I've selected DTS, DD, ACC and the two 2 channel choices are automatically checked. I've tried only DTS, only DD and any other combination. Any help would be appreciated.

There is no way of getting 5.1 LinearPCM out of optical. Even if Sony were to allow 5.1 LPCM via optical (with a future firmware update), it wouldn't matter because there aren't any receivers on the market right now which accept 5.1/7.1 LPCM via optical toslink.

The only way to get LPCM 5.1/7.1 audio from the PS3 is by using the HDMI-out and connecting it to a receiver that has HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 and accepts PCM 5.1 channels.

I bought an Onky SR674 for $549 and it has HDMI 1.1 inputs which accept LPCM 5.1 audio from my PS3.

Confusing? Yeah, kinda.
post #227 of 2925 Old 12-04-2006, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

This was a bug that should have been fixed with the 1.11 update. What system version are you on?

I have the 1.11 update installed. Weird...

I'll try it again tomorrow.
post #228 of 2925 Old 12-06-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

Is this normal? I am connected to my Onkyo SR674 receiver using HDMI from the PS3 and LPCM enabled.

After a few minutes, I quit out of the game, and then started it up again...and this time the sound was working perfectly. Is this an HDMI issue, a PS3 issue, or an Onkyo receiver issue?

Weird...

I've had the same problem the last few times I watch a movie and poped in Resistance, there is no sound. I quit and started the game again and it was fine.
post #229 of 2925 Old 12-06-2006, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc4242 View Post

Select Bitstream for optical/SPDIF output.
LPCM is only for HDMI receivers.
post #230 of 2925 Old 12-06-2006, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

That's a mistake on the packaging. NBA2K7 is 720p max. I think COD3 also mistakenly lists 1080p on the back.

NBA2K7 does, in fact, play in 1080p...because I'm playing it right now! The trick is, you have to go into the XMB display settings and scroll all the way to the right, where there is a choice between automatic and custom resolution selection. Choose custom, and uncheck 720p and 1080i. This forces the system into either 480p or 1080p. After this change, the game plays flawlessly in 1080p

Avarice
post #231 of 2925 Old 12-07-2006, 05:04 AM

So it's upscaling the game to 1080p. the native is 720p. Your doing the same thing the 360 would do.
post #232 of 2925 Old 12-07-2006, 07:45 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

OK,

I was able to get pictures/music/videos from my USB drive.

First with the usb drive plugged into the computer, I created a file named PS3. Within the PS3 folder I created separete folders named PICTURE, MUSIC, and VIDEO. (within the video folder I created another folder named 100MNV01 only because that's the way it was set up on my PSP) I don't know if this is ALL necessary but it worked for me.

Next I copied the respective files that I wanted off my computer into their respective folders. I chose some photos and copied them into the PICTURES folder, songs into the MUSIC folder and so on. I had a home video that I copied into the 100MNV01 folder that worked.

Next I plugged the usb drive into the PS3.

I went to PHOTO, scrolled to USB drive, hit the triangle button, selected "display all", chose the PS3 folder, inside the PS3 folder I chose the PICTURE folder, hit the triangle button, and then chose copy. I did that with the MUSIC and VIDEO folders too.

It worked great. Maybe there's other ways to do it, but for now it got me where I wanted to be.

You should be able to browse the entire directory structure of a USB device by pressing Triangle when you are on the device.
post #233 of 2925 Old 12-07-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post

cannot get 1080p through hdmi on 50 inch sxrd kd-r50xbr1

this is very frustrating because i was told by both best buy and sony that i should be able to achieve this resolution

Check your HDMI cable. I took a second look at the HDMI cables I bought, and the package says that they can handle up to 1080i. The NEWER HDMI cable (is it 1.3?) can do 1080p, I think.
post #234 of 2925 Old 12-07-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexend View Post

oldbucsfan, if you say that it's impossible to output 1080p via component, you're wrong since Xbox360 can output 1080p with componant cable.

But if you're saying the PS3 doesn't output 1080p via component, then that might be true.

Xbox 360 cannot output 1080p. You absolutly cannot output 1080p on component cables. That is their big issue right now. Just watch, they will end up throwing an HDMI output on Xbox 360.
post #235 of 2925 Old 12-07-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster17 View Post

Xbox 360 cannot output 1080p. You absolutly cannot output 1080p on component cables. That is their big issue right now. Just watch, they will end up throwing an HDMI output on Xbox 360.

Umm, 100% incorrect.

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

post #236 of 2925 Old 12-07-2006, 12:18 PM

my wife picked up a PS3 20GB for my son for Christmas and I want to make sure I can set it all up properly. My setup currently-

Pana TH-50PHD8UK
HR10-250 STB via HDMI blade
Oppo DVD via DVI blade
Sony AV receiver via component (the STB,DVD, and VCR are into the receiver for audio, and VCR through receiver video)

I understand that the PS3 has HDMI output only so what would be better-
buy a new receiver (big$) that has HDMI in/out? (don't want to do this)
buy a hdmi to dvi cable and a 2 way dvi switch?
buy a hdmi cable and a 2 way hdmi switch?

I also think my Sony receiver has only 2 optical audio inputs which are being used for the DVD and STB right now so audio is a concern also. I think what I need is a 2 in, 1 out HDMI WITH 2 in, 1 out optical audio switch, but I can't find one yet.

help and advice please, thanks!
post #237 of 2925 Old 12-07-2006, 12:57 PM

You can get a composite video cable for the PS3 as well. Worst case scenario is that initially you would be doing video over composite along with analog audio (L & R) outputs. Then you could decide which route you'd like to go later. That would be the cheapest way to get you going right away.
It would provide HD quality video. The audio would be stereo only, but you'd be up and running at least.
post #238 of 2925 Old 12-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Composite provides HD? I never knew that.
post #239 of 2925 Old 12-07-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Did I read somewhere on here that the PS2 component cables will work with the PS3?
post #240 of 2925 Old 12-07-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanman View Post

Did I read somewhere on here that the PS2 component cables will work with the PS3?

You likely did. PS3 uses same Multi-AV Out, so PS2 Component cable works on PS3.

360 - Meancode
PS3 - Meancode
Wii - 1099 5090 9118 8604
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page