PS3 problems and setup issues thread! - Page 84 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2491 of 2925 Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are many highly technical people on this board that can give more detailed answers, but as a moderately-technical user, I absolutely love the PS3. I've had mine for about 3 years, and would summarize as follows:

PROS:
- Excellent Blu Ray quality, features, with constant upgrades via wifi from Sony.
- Well organized x-bar interface, fairly easy to use.
- HDMI connectivity to receiver, TV, etc.
- Wired and wireless internet connectivity.
- Integrated with Netflix now, no CD required.
- Game portfolio is now outstanding, with many excellent shooter, adventure and other games available (check out sites like gamespot.com for the latest).
- LOVE the media server function, that is, the ability to stream photos or music from my laptop through the device to my stereo. I never even considered these features when I purchased it, so it's a wonderful bonus.

CONS:
- Internet browser is still sub-par, even after upgrades. Why they don't work as well as Explorer or Firefox boggles my mind.
- Can't stream .MOV video files (e.g. QuickTime), as Sony apparently doesn't want to play nice with Apple. A minor issue for many, unless, like me, you have a video camera that uses MOV format.
- Bluetooth interface for remotes works fantastic for the remotes, but makes integrating with many all-in-one remotes like Harmony an issue. However, there are, I believe, a few companies putting out remotes that incorporate bluetooth, and there are workarounds.
- Newer PlayStations are not enabled for PS2 or earlier game formats, though there is rumour this might change.
- Fan can be loud when unit gets hot.

I have the 60gb with a hardware component that allows playing PS2 games. Other units do this with software, and others don't do it. Check the PlayStation website for backward compatibility if this is an issue for you.

In short, I love this machine, and the games available today are mind-boggling in their sophistication, graphic and sound quality and creativity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2925 Old 11-09-2010, 12:19 PM

I just got a new 160 GB Slim - I hope it was a good choice... In the Xbox world, the newer versions were always better... Is there an "Idiot's guide" to settings on the PS3? I have a native 720p projector and wonder whether I should have the PS3 output 1080i or 720p - is there a consensus on that, or should I just see what works better?

There's a lot of choices in the video settings menu - what's the collective wisdom on which options to turn on or off?

I know these are generic questions - I was hoping the first post of this thread would have sort of a "guide" to common problems and questions.

Thanks!

Edit: phdeane - that looks like a LOT of info. Thanks!

How DARE you question my ignorance!?!
post #2493 of 2925 Old 11-09-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Likes_Games View Post

I just got a new 160 GB Slim - I hope it was a good choice... In the Xbox world, the newer versions were always better... Is there an "Idiot's guide" to settings on the PS3? I have a native 720p projector and wonder whether I should have the PS3 output 1080i or 720p - is there a consensus on that, or should I just see what works better?

There's a lot of choices in the video settings menu - what's the collective wisdom on which options to turn on or off?

I know these are generic questions - I was hoping the first post of this thread would have sort of a "guide" to common problems and questions.

Thanks!

Yes, start here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=931796
post #2494 of 2925 Old 11-12-2010, 08:01 PM

Thought I'd post on here and see if one of the resident fix-it experts could chime in.

My problem started a few updates ago, not sure exactly which one, but it did seem to begin immediately after the update. At first, my PS3 would simply freeze while booting up, getting stuck on the wavy bar thing before the menu. I'd just restart and it would work. Then after a few months, it got worse and I'd have to try a couple times before it would load successfully. Now it's at the point where it takes 10-20 attempts to boot. It never used to lock up during gameplay, but now I cannot play games because it will freeze up. If I play a movie, no problems, never locks up. If I leave the system idle in the menu for just a couple minutes, it will freeze.

So here's what I've tried... I've done the system restores, rebuilt hard drive and even bought a new hard drive and tried it to eliminate that as a possibility. I've also cleaned out the fan, used the heat gun on the processors and replaced thermal compound, and I've borrowed a friends power supply to see if it would make a difference. I think I've done this correctly because I have successfully fixed that same friends YLOD issue.

I have the 80 GB, CECHEO1 model, but it was very gently used. No burn in marks and there was little dust inside. It's almost as if my system needs to warm up in order to work and if it's not doing anything, it freezes. I wonder if there is a way to flash the chip and revert to the original version because maybe that initial system update installed incorrectly? I dunno... the YLOD is supposed to indicate some piece of hardware is faulty, but I've never seen the yellow light flash once on my PS3.

In any case, thanks for reading and sharing any ideas with me. Oh yeah... I'm not sending it back to Sony... I'll buy a new one if I must but it would still be great to get this one fixed so I could at least have a stable system that I could use as a media center in another room.
post #2495 of 2925 Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 PM

I just bought an HD66 and im having problems getting the PS3 to work over HDMI. It worked for some reason the first time I tried it but every time since it wont recognize the signal. Anyone able to fix this?
post #2496 of 2925 Old 11-13-2010, 08:13 AM

I checked and couldnt find the best place to post/ask these questions: We plan on using the PS3 as a media hub. So gaming, media server, pandora music player and potential netflix streaming.

- What is the main purpose of the hard drive storage? e.g. game storage and saved games or? I ask given the selection of hard drive sizes now.

- Is it easy to upgrade the hard drive in the future if needs change?

- We store all our music on a network storage drive that claims DLNA and compatibility with the PS3 (an Iomega drive). Therefore I assume I will not be using the PS3 drive for any music storage...or videos for that matter.

- Is storage needed for netflix or streaming movies?

We are looking at a deal on the 250gb PS3. Only $20 more than the 160gb version that appears to be the latest console. I have read online the only difference is the hard drive size, is that correct? if no one is really sure, better idea to get the 160gb, save $20 and apply that to a new hard drive in the future when needed to swap out?

thx

Jim
post #2497 of 2925 Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonga View Post

I checked and couldnt find the best place to post/ask these questions: We plan on using the PS3 as a media hub. So gaming, media server, pandora music player and potential netflix streaming.

- What is the main purpose of the hard drive storage? e.g. game storage and saved games or? I ask given the selection of hard drive sizes now.

- Is it easy to upgrade the hard drive in the future if needs change?

- We store all our music on a network storage drive that claims DLNA and compatibility with the PS3 (an Iomega drive). Therefore I assume I will not be using the PS3 drive for any music storage...or videos for that matter.

- Is storage needed for netflix or streaming movies?

We are looking at a deal on the 250gb PS3. Only $20 more than the 160gb version that appears to be the latest console. I have read online the only difference is the hard drive size, is that correct? if no one is really sure, better idea to get the 160gb, save $20 and apply that to a new hard drive in the future when needed to swap out?

thx

Jim - I'm probably not the best resource but I'll give you my $.02 and that's about all it's worth. Personally I don't think a big HDD is necessary. I use a family 1TB external HDD connected to one PC and house everything on it. I then run the Java PS3 Media Server v1.10.51 and stream everything from that server to the PS3. Now if we could install games on the HDD so they would run more efficiently, then I'd advocate for a bigger PS3 drive. But I like to use my PC HDD since it is running iTunes, ********** and others so I don't have to move files here and there.
post #2498 of 2925 Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Eeeeekk!

Performed a long overdue update to OS 3.5 in anticipation of GT5. I checked the box to shutdown (restart) after the update. Let it run while I went to dinner. Came back and it was powered down. Turned it back on and it shows a system update screen showing the terms/conditions and to scroll down to accept ("OK").

Thing is locked up. Unresponsive to remote or the controllers.

Help!

Don't want to do anything else until I get an idea of what it should be.
post #2499 of 2925 Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVCanuck View Post

Thought I'd post on here and see if one of the resident fix-it experts could chime in.

My problem started a few updates ago, not sure exactly which one, but it did seem to begin immediately after the update. At first, my PS3 would simply freeze while booting up, getting stuck on the wavy bar thing before the menu. I'd just restart and it would work. Then after a few months, it got worse and I'd have to try a couple times before it would load successfully. Now it's at the point where it takes 10-20 attempts to boot. It never used to lock up during gameplay, but now I cannot play games because it will freeze up. If I play a movie, no problems, never locks up. If I leave the system idle in the menu for just a couple minutes, it will freeze.

So here's what I've tried... I've done the system restores, rebuilt hard drive and even bought a new hard drive and tried it to eliminate that as a possibility. I've also cleaned out the fan, used the heat gun on the processors and replaced thermal compound, and I've borrowed a friends power supply to see if it would make a difference. I think I've done this correctly because I have successfully fixed that same friends YLOD issue.

I have the 80 GB, CECHEO1 model, but it was very gently used. No burn in marks and there was little dust inside. It's almost as if my system needs to warm up in order to work and if it's not doing anything, it freezes. I wonder if there is a way to flash the chip and revert to the original version because maybe that initial system update installed incorrectly? I dunno... the YLOD is supposed to indicate some piece of hardware is faulty, but I've never seen the yellow light flash once on my PS3.

In any case, thanks for reading and sharing any ideas with me. Oh yeah... I'm not sending it back to Sony... I'll buy a new one if I must but it would still be great to get this one fixed so I could at least have a stable system that I could use as a media center in another room.

If you replaced the hdd then its a buggy PS3. I repair games systems. You seem to have gone overboard in reflowing the cpu and gpu. Its software related is what im betting on. No you cant flash anything on the PS3. You may want to check out jailbreaking sites like psgroove and see what has developed over there. But as far as I know you have done allot to it and its still not working right. Its one of those strange issues. Usually a new drive solves your issues that you have. Thanks.

PSN ID mitzman

post #2500 of 2925 Old 11-21-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

Eeeeekk!

Performed a long overdue update to OS 3.5 in anticipation of GT5. I checked the box to shutdown (restart) after the update. Let it run while I went to dinner. Came back and it was powered down. Turned it back on and it shows a system update screen showing the terms/conditions and to scroll down to accept ("OK").

Thing is locked up. Unresponsive to remote or the controllers.

Help!

Don't want to do anything else until I get an idea of what it should be.

You can try another hard drive it will want to reformat then download latest update to flash drive insert follow directions. If that doesnt work Sony will want $150+ to correct it.
I have one here that was stuck in the intal over and over. I put new drive in now it can find the update on my external. It works on all the other systems I update everyday.

PSN ID mitzman

post #2501 of 2925 Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guys:

This is my first time post on this thread.

I have a 2-3ear old 60GB PS3 and I use it mainly for Blu-ray DVDs and it has been excellent.

About a week ago, we had some storms in our area and since then, my PS3 will not output a picture, menu or sound through HDMI.

I've switched out HDMI cables, TV inputs, etc. Nothing. The PS3 other features still fuction like eject and it turns on and seems like it's playing a disc, but again, no picture, sound, menu are displayed on my TV.

Any suggestions? I don't remember where I bought it and I don't have the manual. Is there anyplace I can take this for it to be examined, fixed, etc?

I don't know if the storm did something to it. Not sure. I have my XBox360 plugged into the same surge protector and it plays perfectly.

I got a front projector a few weeks ago, but have not hooked it up because I want to evaluate it using Blu-ray movies.

Thanks! Jimmy
post #2502 of 2925 Old 12-01-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Have you tried resetting? Hold down the power button until you hear several beeps then release.
post #2503 of 2925 Old 12-01-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Tornado:

Held down the power button and got 3 beeps right in a row. How long does it take to reset? It's been 5 minutes and nothing. Should I turn in totally off and then try?

BTW, all the lights seem to be working correctly. I get a green light when its ON and when I put a DVD in I get both the green and blue on. Thanks

Jimmy
post #2504 of 2925 Old 12-01-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

Hi Guys:

This is my first time post on this thread.

I have a 2-3ear old 60GB PS3 and I use it mainly for Blu-ray DVDs and it has been excellent.

About a week ago, we had some storms in our area and since then, my PS3 will not output a picture, menu or sound through HDMI.

I've switched out HDMI cables, TV inputs, etc. Nothing. The PS3 other features still fuction like eject and it turns on and seems like it's playing a disc, but again, no picture, sound, menu are displayed on my TV.

Any suggestions? I don't remember where I bought it and I don't have the manual. Is there anyplace I can take this for it to be examined, fixed, etc?

I don't know if the storm did something to it. Not sure. I have my XBox360 plugged into the same surge protector and it plays perfectly.

I got a front projector a few weeks ago, but have not hooked it up because I want to evaluate it using Blu-ray movies.

Thanks! Jimmy

There is no fix for what you have. You have the no video issue more than likely. Your only option is to send to Sony for $170 for your model. It has nothing to do with the storm it's just a coincidence.

To try the video reset. Start with it off with red light on. Hold power button down until it starts and then cuts off. Then remove your finger. You should have a red light again at this point. Turn it back on. You should get a message saying there is an available HDMI at thus point. If not it's fubarred. Send to Sony for a 90 warranty or go buy a new one.

PSN ID mitzman

post #2505 of 2925 Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

schnurnmac:

I think you're right. It's "fubarred".

Everything seems to be working except the display. I can hear the DVD spinning when I put one in and all the lights work correctly.

It's a shame, this unit was perfect and almost 3 years old so no warranty left. I called the 2 local gameshops who repair PS3's and both said they aren't taking any repairs for PS3 until after the new year (they are booked up with repairs).

I appreciate the advice. Maybe its time to get a new one at this point.

Jimmy
post #2506 of 2925 Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:

schnurnmac:

Everything seems to be working except the display. I can hear the DVD spinning when I put one in and all the lights work correctly.

It's a shame, this unit was perfect and almost 3 years old so no warranty left. I called the 2 local gameshops who repair PS3's and both said they aren't taking any repairs for PS3 until after the new year (they are booked up with repairs).

Jimmy

I need to start telling customers that! I am so busy I can't think. Black ops + holidays = back logged. I have 30+ consoles now and they keep coming. On top of other electronic devices. Yikes.

PSN ID mitzman

post #2507 of 2925 Old 12-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:

schnurnmac:

Jimmy

Also I haven't been able to repair the no video with great results on PS3. Picture will freeze once console is reassembled. I gave up on that one. That and the red screen of death is the only issues I can't fix.I leave those to Sony. No video on 360 I do all day long. Good luck.

PSN ID mitzman

post #2508 of 2925 Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Hello this is my first post here. ^_^. My 320gb slim ps3's ac power cord just got fried( I think). Now, I can't turn on my ps3, no red light or anything, it just does not respond.

As I am a total electronic noob, I don't have a clue on what to do. My uncle recommends changing the ac power cord with my pc's power cord as he said they are just the same. But I think my ps3 got fried too. I don't know! I'm confused. Please advise me.

Thanks in advanced.
post #2509 of 2925 Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uannaka1996 View Post

Hello this is my first post here. ^_^. My 320gb slim ps3's ac power cord just got fried( I think). Now, I can't turn on my ps3, no red light or anything, it just does not respond.

As I am a total electronic noob, I don't have a clue on what to do. My uncle recommends changing the ac power cord with my pc's power cord as he said they are just the same. But I think my ps3 got fried too. I don't know! I'm confused. Please advise me.

Thanks in advanced.

If its a slim its not the same cord as your pc. The fat ps3 used that cord. Take cord to your local rat shack (radio shack) Tell them you want one $7-8 bucks.
If that doesnt work then your power supply may have blown. Now that wont be a rat shack part.

PSN ID mitzman

post #2510 of 2925 Old 12-02-2010, 10:39 PM

post #2511 of 2925 Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac View Post

If its a slim its not the same cord as your pc. The fat ps3 used that cord. Take cord to your local rat shack (radio shack) Tell them you want one $7-8 bucks.
If that doesnt work then your power supply may have blown. Now that wont be a rat shack part.

Power supply? you mean inside my ps3? Damn.. My ps3's been less than 1 month old. What a piece of junk. "_"
post #2512 of 2925 Old 12-03-2010, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by uannaka1996 View Post

Power supply? you mean inside my ps3? Damn.. My ps3's been less than 1 month old. What a piece of junk. "_"

Welcome to the world of disposable electronics. At least it's under warranty or you could just return it (likely faster than warranty repair).

But I'd be concerned why it blew. Might just be a faulty part, or it could be something else. Any power outages? Line surges? Are you using a decent surge protector?
post #2513 of 2925 Old 12-03-2010, 05:26 AM

Liked: 11
Just got back from my parents house and I have tried to reset the video settings (hold the power button down until you hear a 2nd beep) but it's still not working! My Sharp Aquos is still saying "incompatible video signal". This is through HDMI.

I've done this before and it's worked...I don't know what is going on this time. I think they must have changed something in the recent firmware. Any suggestions on what I should do?

update: I turned off my TV and tried again after work and things went fine...so I dunno what the problem was...handshaking glitch in the TV is my guess.
post #2514 of 2925 Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 AM

My old PS3 fatboy has had a few YLOD deaths in the last 2 months with each
reflow producing shorter and shorter benefits. All of the videos that I have seen show the mobo being heated by heatgun from the "top" of the board.

What about flipping the board upside down, supporting the CPU's from underneath so they will stay in place, and trying to reflow with flux from the bottom side instead?

Also, if I buy a new slimline PS3, can I just insert my old hard drive and
go on as before?

Thanks!
post #2515 of 2925 Old 12-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbo View Post

My old PS3 fatboy has had a few YLOD deaths in the last 2 months with each
reflow producing shorter and shorter benefits. All of the videos that I have seen show the mobo being heated by heatgun from the "top" of the board.

What about flipping the board upside down, supporting the CPU's from underneath so they will stay in place, and trying to reflow with flux from the bottom side instead?

Also, if I buy a new slimline PS3, can I just insert my old hard drive and
go on as before?

Thanks!

Those videos are not sufficient enough to make it last a decent enough to make it last a decent amount of time. I have tested the theory. The principle is correct but it's not good enough. Also there is no proven long term repair available. My repairs tend to last as I have a strict time line and tools you don't have.

If you do the bottom side and support the chips you will ruin it. You will then smash the solder balls causing a short or move the chips. They won't fall off if you do the bottom with no support.

On your data. If you put your old hard drive in any other ps3 it will want to reformat it erasing all your data. The drive is keyed to the system it's in. You will have to fix your old one and quickly do a data transfer with both systems connected to each other with Ethernet cord.
Good luck.

PSN ID mitzman

post #2516 of 2925 Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 PM

I have already made a post in the Denon 4310 thread about my issue but I figured I might as well post it here as well.

Anyone here plays GT5 on a PS3 Slim connected to the 4310?
I am having issue with this particular game. After a while the signal from the PS3 to the receiver will drop out and come back in succession. Sometimes it will refuse to come back, seems like it gave up handshaking. All other games are fine including GT5 Prologue.

To take the cable out of the equation I plug the PS3 straight to the TV and it seems to be okay so far. I have also tried swapping the PS3 with my older fat PS3 and it works fine. So I think the PS3 Slim+GT5 is some how incompatible with the 4310. I am trying to get a few HDMI cables to test. At the moment I am using the BJC Belden Series-F2 HDMI Cable to connect all my devices. The 4310 has the latest firmware as well as the game and PS3.
post #2517 of 2925 Old 12-10-2010, 09:00 PM

Hello, I am a n00b, and I'd like to watch 1080p quality videos. How should I configure the setup described below to provide the best audio and video quality?

I have a 2TB external drive that is currently formatted NTFS and both laptops are formatted NTFS. I've seen PMS recommended, however, both of my PC's are laptops with 1.5Ghz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, and integrated video. So, I'm not sure I can transcode/ mux 1080p in real time, due to CPU speed. This would probably be my preferred solution.

I wouldn't mind converting files to a specific format for the PS3, but I'd prefer a more elegant solution. I wouldn't mind partitioning for FAT32, but this would preclude feature length 1080p quality video. Forgive my ignorance, but can I place a large video file directly on the internal PS3 HD and play from there?
post #2518 of 2925 Old 12-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Can I get Optical out and Sub (RCA) or Center (RCA) out simultaneously ?

Thanks,
Scotty
post #2519 of 2925 Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Anybody know if there's a workaround for playing PS1 Sarge's Heroes on PS3? All the previews go fine when I load the disc, but when it comes to "Press Start" there doesn't seem to be any button on the PS3 controller that will actualy start the game... Thanks.
post #2520 of 2925 Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

**sigh**

This is my second trip around this thread. After my first PS3 died 11 months into its warranty, the refurb they sent me back looks like it's in bad shape.

I tried to turn it on with the controller and the unit wouldn't respond. So I turned it on manually. About a half hour into some MW2, it crashed.

Tried to start it back up immediately after that and it goes green, then the blue flashes for a split second, then it goes straight to blinking red (no yellow).

All I want to do is get it fired up long enough so I can deactivate all the accounts tied to it.

This will be my third PS3 in 3.5 years.

**SIGH**

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page