post #2551 of 2925 Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post

I searched first, but nothing came up.

I just moved my PS3 to the vertical position where it sits on top of my TV setup.

Anyone know if this is OK to keep it in this position position? I see ads where they are vetical. Its not in an enclosed cabinet, it's out in the open and the vents are clear.

If the vertical position is OK . . . I have it now with the power switch at the top.
is one end better over the other?

I have two PS3's that are only a week old and I don't want to do any damage if vertical is not as good for their life as keeping them in the horizontal position

The fan seems louder now. Maybe leaving it vertical forces the fan onto it's higher speed. Maybe it runs cooler in the horizontal position???

Thx

If they are slim models I dont recommend it. I have repaired many slim PS3's that have fallen from this position causing damage.

PSN ID mitzman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2925 Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac View Post

If they are slim models I don't recommend it. I have repaired many slim PS3's that have fallen from this position causing damage.

Thx for that response. This would be true of my upstairs bedroom setup. But with the setup in my living room, it's on top of a Sony projection TV and is now sitting vertically between a large center channel speaker on one side and my amp on the other.

The fan noise seems just as loud if it's vertical or horizontal. I've read it's a 3 speed fan and it definitely gets loud on the higher speed on both units as they heat up. You don't hear it much when playing a game or a movie, but it needs to be shut down quickly or the loud fan noise becomes annoying.

You are right about how unstable it is when vertical. If they are going to show it that way in their ads, then they should supply a holder or feet that makes the base wider like the type some routers come with.

I think it vents better horizontally, but then it would be sitting on top of my amp which throws off heat.
post #2553 of 2925 Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Liked: 12
It should not be kicking into high gear. If so the amp heat may be causing it to. I recommend not setting it near or on top of any other device that gets hot. Over heating will cause ylod to your ps3. My ONKYO 806 gets hot enough to cook eggs. I made a quad fan unit to pull heat away from it. It use to make my dvr over heat on the shelf above it 140 degrees fht!!

PSN ID mitzman

post #2554 of 2925 Old 01-31-2011, 12:48 AM

Hi, I was planning on getting a PS3 finally now that all systems are in the affordable price range to own more than one. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with a question. Does the PS3 slim support WAV music files on the internal HDD? Also if you put your own artwork in can you add it to the specific album? I pretty much want the PS3 for a few shooter exclusive games and as a music player. I have seen it play music but it was mp3s but love the way everything looks. Please let me know if it can do this. Thanks.
post #2555 of 2925 Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 PM

OK, so this has probably been addressed but it gets confusing with so many others having problems with bitstream vs. pcm to get their blurays going with TrueHD etc.

I'm a Slim owner & my blurays play TrueHD, Dolby Dig no problem over bitstream - my PS3 games though (specifically Gods of War 3 & MLB the Show) send a MULTI signal. What I gather is that many games default to a PCM option and you have to turn off all the PCM options in your PS3 settings as a workaround? Is that right? Although Rock Band for example when I choose Dolby Digital in the game setting sends the DD signal just fine.

Is this really the best these games can do after all the work they put in? I tried to turn off all the PCM settings but even that was confusing and difficult. Also, would that not allow me to play CDs through PS3 if I turn of PCM settings? Thanks is advance.
post #2556 of 2925 Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 AM

Hello All,

I am new to the Forum, there seems to be quite a few helpful people here! I have a Bravia Sync Problem with my PS3 and AV Receiver.

Right now I have a 55EX710, DH510 receiver, and a PS3 Slim. The PS3 is connected into the receiver. I use the Sony remote supplied with the receiver since it has more functionality than the TV remote. The issue I run in to is switching the inputs on the AVR. I choose BD since that's where I have the PS3 plugged in, all of the audio and video come out perfectly, but now I can't control the PS3 anymore. Since my TV ends up controling the PS3 I can choose TV and regain control but now I have no sound since the AVR is set to the TV input. What I end up doing to get past this is selecting BD so the AVR goes to the appropriate input then taking the controller and pointing it away from everything and hitting TV so that the controller will handle the PS3.

I tried hooking the PS3 directly to the TV and using the ARC function to get the sound back down to the reciever, this worked but I lose DTS-MA and TrueHD sound when it comes out of the TV and back to the receiver.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Jeremy
post #2557 of 2925 Old 02-01-2011, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2023 View Post

OK, so this has probably been addressed but it gets confusing with so many others having problems with bitstream vs. pcm to get their blurays going with TrueHD etc.

I'm a Slim owner & my blurays play TrueHD, Dolby Dig no problem over bitstream - my PS3 games though (specifically Gods of War 3 & MLB the Show) send a MULTI signal. What I gather is that many games default to a PCM option and you have to turn off all the PCM options in your PS3 settings as a workaround? Is that right? Although Rock Band for example when I choose Dolby Digital in the game setting sends the DD signal just fine.

Is this really the best these games can do after all the work they put in? I tried to turn off all the PCM settings but even that was confusing and difficult. Also, would that not allow me to play CDs through PS3 if I turn of PCM settings? Thanks is advance.

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA are also decoded to Multichannel-PCM, either in the PS3 itself or your AVR (depending on whether you have set your PS3 to BITSTREAM or LINEAR PCM).

Do not turn off all PCM options in the Audio settings. Keep all of them turned on. Let the PS3 automatically decide which settings are acceptable to your AVR and keep them all switched on. Let blu-rays play with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, and let games run on Multi-PCM. You ARE getting the best available sound on both, games as well as movies.
post #2558 of 2925 Old 02-01-2011, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekintraining View Post

Hi, I was planning on getting a PS3 finally now that all systems are in the affordable price range to own more than one. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with a question. Does the PS3 slim support WAV music files on the internal HDD? Also if you put your own artwork in can you add it to the specific album? I pretty much want the PS3 for a few shooter exclusive games and as a music player. I have seen it play music but it was mp3s but love the way everything looks. Please let me know if it can do this. Thanks.

I'm not sure about WAV files, but WMA files are playable, after doing a one-time authentication procedure (internet connection required).

And I'm pretty sure album artwork is not supported. Album artwork is not displayed while the mp3/wma is playing. Instead you have a visual background (sort of slow video) in the background. If anyone can get to display album artwork while an audio file is playing, I would be interested in knowing.
post #2559 of 2925 Old 02-01-2011, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlhines1982 View Post

Hello All,

I am new to the Forum, there seems to be quite a few helpful people here! I have a Bravia Sync Problem with my PS3 and AV Receiver.

Right now I have a 55EX710, DH510 receiver, and a PS3 Slim. The PS3 is connected into the receiver. I use the Sony remote supplied with the receiver since it has more functionality than the TV remote. The issue I run in to is switching the inputs on the AVR. I choose BD since that's where I have the PS3 plugged in, all of the audio and video come out perfectly, but now I can't control the PS3 anymore. Since my TV ends up controling the PS3 I can choose TV and regain control but now I have no sound since the AVR is set to the TV input. What I end up doing to get past this is selecting BD so the AVR goes to the appropriate input then taking the controller and pointing it away from everything and hitting TV so that the controller will handle the PS3.

I tried hooking the PS3 directly to the TV and using the ARC function to get the sound back down to the reciever, this worked but I lose DTS-MA and TrueHD sound when it comes out of the TV and back to the receiver.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Jeremy

In short, HDMI-CEC (Bravia Sync and its equivalents) sucks. Route the audio through the AVR instead of using the Audio Return Channel (ARC). And get the Playstation 3 Blu-Ray Remote Control to control the PS3 as a blu-ray player.
post #2560 of 2925 Old 02-01-2011, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The PS3 is a dismal music server, but I do have a couple of MP3's on it and it does show the album art.
post #2561 of 2925 Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

The PS3 is a dismal music server, but I do have a couple of MP3's on it and it does show the album art.

It is.
But it is nice that you can play a playlist in the background while viewing pictures streamed from your PC. - I just wish that there was a random feature for photos.
post #2562 of 2925 Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 PM

Newbie to PS3, posting what probably everybody in the PS3 world already knows, but .... we had ver 2.76 and tried to update through the network connex. Similar experience to that described in the posting below, except that we didn't have the controller connected when the system stopped at the T/C screen and was unresponsive to the remote. We powered down, plugged in the controller, and powered up again. The same T/C screen displayed. The controller was active and could be used to accept the update. When finished the remote started working again. Whew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

Eeeeekk!

Performed a long overdue update to OS 3.5 in anticipation of GT5. I checked the box to shutdown (restart) after the update. Let it run while I went to dinner. Came back and it was powered down. Turned it back on and it shows a system update screen showing the terms/conditions and to scroll down to accept ("OK").

Thing is locked up. Unresponsive to remote or the controllers.

post #2563 of 2925 Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 PM

So I have a Onkyo HTIAB S3300 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120167) and it was/is having glitching problem where the video feed would go out. Currently I have it HDMI throughput to my TV so everything routes into my AV Receiver (the other item being my Cable DVR). So the problem was when I start my PS3 and AV Receiver the video would blink out as in the TV would state there would be no input then it would come back... it would continue to do this every few seconds, some glitches longer than others, but eventually after 15 minutes or so it stops, usually. Even so its terribly annoying. I googled the problem and someone said turn DEEP COLOR off on the PS3 which is what I have done and it seems to have worked. I tried asking this person for an explanation and I never got one so I was hoping someone could offer a reason as to why this is necessary, what DEEP COLOR means, and should I turn the option of DEEP COLOR on, on the Onkyo Receiver... if it makes a difference.... or if I should return the unit. I only have a few days left to return before the 30 days is up so timely responses are appreciated!
post #2564 of 2925 Old 02-08-2011, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Deep Color is meaningless. It's a feature not currently supported by any content providers and there are no plans to support it on any content in the foreseeable future. Even if there was any current or planned content your AVR and your TV must also specifically support that feature to even utilize it, it is likely neither support it anyway.

I think the only way to even use Deep Color currently is on some higher end HD video cameras.

Just turn it off and enjoy, you are missing nothing.
post #2565 of 2925 Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Hello all
Im having issues with my ps3 where when a resolution changes my screen goes black(i can hear sound) This is fixed with a input change/or turning the tv on and off.
My xmb is 1080p and I notice this when either starting or exiting 720p games. I tried 2 different HDMI 1.3 wires and 2 different inputs (HDMI 1 and 2)
I also reseted my video settings 2 times by holding the power button.. Its a 3D tv that supports hdmi 1.4
should I be using 1.4 wires?

thx in advance
post #2566 of 2925 Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Are there any settings on the PS3 for 3D? I'm not seeing any...
I tried the MotorStorm demo, and it works in 2d, but the screen gets fuzzy -like its out of sync when I try the 3D mode of the demo.
Also, when I tried to play the Shrek1 3D BD that came in my Samsung bundle, the PS3 loses connection with my AVR (Denon 3808), the BD remote, PS3 controller, and I have to power it (PS3) off. -I can eject the DB. -This happens before I ever see a menu from the disk.
I am able to do 3D from Verizon On Demand, through Denon 3808 to Samsung c7000 Plasma.
If it matters, I upgraded to the latest firmware today. I tried a non 3D Blu-Ray (Black Hawk Down) and it worked fine.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
JayMan
post #2567 of 2925 Old 02-16-2011, 11:52 AM

I have an older PS3 that plays SACDs. I use HDMI to connect through a Yamaha RX-3800 to a Panasonic S1 TV with a 7.1 speaker setup.

The PS3 will not play music (cd, sacd, streaming) when the TV is on. (It plays the disc, but doesn't deliver the sound; the on screen display shows the disc playing.) It also will not auto detect sound formats from the 3800 in PS3 setup with the TV on (I memorized the setup moves and did it with the TV off and it worked, but it loses all the multi channel formats when tv is switched back on and music play is started.) It plays all movie discs (DVD and BD) properly with any and all available audio tracks. If I turn the TV off, change TV inputs, or disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV, sound is normal from all surround system speakers.

I split the HDMI out of the PS3 to the TV and AMP. This solves the problem and music plays normally. I can't leave it like that because other sources need the HDMI connection from the amp to the TV.

I've fiddled with all the TV and PS3 settings that I can think of, checked the PS3 setup sticky and the SACD sticky and tried everything suggested there with no change. I've tried several different cables.

When going directly from the PS3 to the TV, the issue is the same; no sound from any PS3 music source over the TV speakers. This proves it is an issue between the TV and the PS3. I assume it is an HDMI handshake problem.

Ideas?
post #2568 of 2925 Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Hi, I am going to be purchasing a PS3 on the 22nd with kill zone 3 but it only comes with a 160gb. I know I have read somewhere than after the latest firmware the after market HDDs aren't working does anyone know if this has been corrected? I would like to get atleast a 500gb WD HDD. Any help in answering before I purchase another HDD would be very much appreciated.
post #2569 of 2925 Old 02-16-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Performed a search in this thread, but didn't turn up any answers, so here's what I'm trying to figure out...

Is there a particular setting that will enable recorded tv shows on a Windows Media Center pc to be viewed on the PS3? I can stream video files, pictures and music now, but the Recorded TV Folder shows icons labeled Unsupported Files, and won't play any show recorded with Media Center.

I have enabled all video file types in Media Player 11, btw. I had no problems with an Xbox360...is there a solution? Thanks.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #2570 of 2925 Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Hi, I am going to be purchasing a PS3 on the 22nd with kill zone 3 but it only comes with a 160gb. I know I have read somewhere than after the latest firmware the after market HDDs aren't working does anyone know if this has been corrected? I would like to get atleast a 500gb WD HDD. Any help in answering before I purchase another HDD would be very much appreciated.

I have a non-slim PS3 that came with a 40GB hard drive and I recently installed a 500GB WD (I got the 7200 rpm Scorpio Black). I have the latest firmware and had no problems swapping the drives and using the backup utility to copy everything over to the new drive.

EDIT: just noticed the drive you linked is a 3.5 incher. It needs to be a 2.5 inch drive to physically fit in the PS3.
post #2571 of 2925 Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the reply puppetz. I just typed the words in whatever it is linking too isn't the drive I want I was actually looking at the exact same drive you got believe it or not. I just read reports that some peoples HDDS didn't work after the last update and didn't want to buy a hard drive if it didn't work in it. Thanks again.
post #2572 of 2925 Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Thanks for the reply puppetz. I just typed the words in whatever it is linking too isn't the drive I want I was actually looking at the exact same drive you got believe it or not. I just read reports that some peoples HDDS didn't work after the last update and didn't want to buy a hard drive if it didn't work in it. Thanks again.

Like puppetz, I do have a slim and put in a 500GB HDD, and have the latest firmware downloaded and have no problems with the PS3 for gaming(on-line) or watching Blu rays or even accessing the movies and videos that I put on the HDD...

Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA5
PS3
PSA XV15se
Sony BDP-370
Toshiba HD-A2
Polk Monitor 70's,Polk CS20,Polk R50's,Polk F/XiA4's,Polk OWM3's
Polk PSW 505's
Sharp 60 LED 640U
Optoma HD25-LV
Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console
post #2573 of 2925 Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 AM

I just allowed an automatic update to 3.56 to complete and now my PS3 dvd does not work. Will not play a movie or game and it doesn't even show up on the bar after putting in disk. I talked to Sony and they said to send it in for repair at a cost of $99.00 to me????? for something there update did. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
post #2574 of 2925 Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
That is a logic fallacy. Event B follows event A does not mean that event A caused event B.

PSN brakel

post #2575 of 2925 Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 PM

In this case it does. Event A, playing movie, movie ends, notice automatic update announcement, allow update to proceed, update complete, play next movie (no joy). ONLY logical conclusion updated broke PS3......unless of course you work for Sony.
post #2576 of 2925 Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Question:

I have a Onkyo 607 and just added front Height channels to my setup.

1) Should I enable 7.x output from within the ps3? I only have 5.1+Heights.
2) Should the Onkyo be set to MULTICHAN or PLII HEIGHT?

Please advise.
post #2577 of 2925 Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

It appears that heights are activated only with PLII mode. Do I lose any sound quality or proper output from my PS3 from going from "MULTICHAN" to PLII height?
post #2578 of 2925 Old 02-25-2011, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd leave the PS3 on LPCM, set your Onkyo to use PLIIx to apply the height ch's.
post #2579 of 2925 Old 02-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

thanks
post #2580 of 2925 Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I think the age is catching up with my PS3 fatty (60gb). My problems started about a week ago. My PS3 is locking up during gaming, usually takes about 30-45 minutes of play time before it locks up and either turns itself off or reboots. Then it locks up on XMB. I have to rest it for a while if I want to play for another 20 minutes. I'm thinking it's overheating issue. I took it apart during this weekend and cleaned everything inside and I was able to play KZ3 for about 2 hours before it locked up again. I have no ylod. Also, for some reason my PS3 won't do the fan test (power off and hold eject while powering it back on).

I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking of getting the bigger 19-inch blade fan and see if that helps, but I'm just fearing that it will only prolong the inevitable.

I need your opinions. Did you hear or experience anything like that and what would you suggest? Should I just go out and get the slim or is it something fixable without sending it to Sony?

PSN: GeminiEffect
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page