AVS Forum banner

PS3 problems and setup issues thread!

471K views 3K replies 1K participants last post by  Bond 007 
#1 ·
Please post any and all PS3 problems/setup issues here.

Thanks,

Kyser

#952 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by budpaul /forum/post/12495415

I tried doing that and it won't let you uncheck either 480p/480i- always has one of those set as default depending on whether using HDMI/Component vs S-Video/Composite.

That's because not every source can output 1080i. So the PS3 needs to have a fall-back resolution.

Unlike the 360, the PS3 console will not simply scale any source material to a designated resolution. Like nearly everything else with this console, Sony's left this ability up to individual developers, publishers, and distributors.

#953 ·
How do I remove that damn Playstation Network ticker in the top right hand side of the screen?

Also, how do the themes work? I've installed one, when and why does the wall paper change? Is it possible just to use one particular wallpaper from a theme or does it always rotate?

#954 ·
I'm sorry if this has been metionned in the past. I have done quite a bit of looking around on the net and couldn't find a solution to my problem.

I bought a Playstation 3 last night. And since then I have been humbled by my lack of knowledge of new tech. I have never ever had so many technical problems in my life with a game system before. It's as if the PS3 is so ahead of it's time, that it's not even compatible with hardware made a year after it's release.

I'll avoid all the details because it this post will become a wall of text.

Here is my hardware:

TV: Sony KDL40XBR4

Amp: Yamaha RX-V661

PS3: 80 gig model

First installation was simple enough. HDMI cable going PS3 to TV and optical cable going from TV to amp. I already knew that the TV can only output sound from HDMI to optical as a Linear PCM signal. Whatever that meant, I didn't know at the time.

As you already have guessed it. Everything worked fine but I had 2 channel only sound. Hardly exciting for gaming. Best graphic in consoles coupled with Wii-like sounds capabilities. So I did my digging around and learned what Linear PCM is and how 5.1 channels can't go through optical. So out shopping I went for a second HDMI cable.

Second installation is still simple. HDMI from PS3 to amp and HDMI from amp to PS3. I had achieved what I wanted! Everything worked fine for maybe an hour. Then I started to loose connection. It would cut off for a second, then come back. Then do it again a couple of minutes latter and more often until I had no sound no picture.

Now this was hard to figure out the source of the problem. Everything is less than a month old and it was my first time using HDMI.

My first clue that this issue might have been caused by heat. So I took out the PS3 and out it on the floor with ton of air flow. Problem hapenned again.

I then did the same with my amp. Didn't solve the problem.

I did some more digging around. Found out that my amp's HDMI switcher doesn't support HDCP. But that can't be it... if it was, it wouldn't work at all.

I keep thinking it's related to heat because when I leave everything off for a long time, it will work fine for 20-30 minutes before the issue happens again.

Another interesting test I did is check what type of signal my TV was getting when there was no sound no picture. I was getting a 1080P signal and the amp was showing that it was receiving a PCM signal. This lead me to believe that the PS3 was at fault. Maybe I got a deffective unit... So I did the only logical test.

Third installation, HDMI from PS3 to TV. Everything worked fine. I left the PS3 on for two hours in a game and the issue didn't hapenned once.

I simply can't figure out what is going on and quite frankly, after almost 2 days of messing around with the hardware instead of the software side of my PS3, I am bored and highly dissapointed. Not that I wan't to go into system bashing. I now own every system and love them all. I just wish it would have been much simpler to get the PS3 to work normally.

Anyone ever had this kind of issue? Any sugestions for a solution? Any input would be apreciated.

#955 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze /forum/post/12558244

How do I remove that damn Playstation Network ticker in the top right hand side of the screen?

Also, how do the themes work? I've installed one, when and why does the wall paper change? Is it possible just to use one particular wallpaper from a theme or does it always rotate?

I just turned off my tv and PS3 but the option is the same menu as the PSN or the web browser. Once you find the icon just hit the triangle button and turn it off.

Unless you modify the theme yourself then it will rotate the wallpapers of the theme every time you log off and on or turn the unit off and on.

#956 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze /forum/post/12558244

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel /forum/post/12561091

I just turned off my tv and PS3 but the option is the same menu as the PSN or the web browser. Once you find the icon just hit the triangle button and turn it off.

Unless you modify the theme yourself then it will rotate the wallpapers of the theme every time you log off and on or turn the unit off and on.

From Netwok / Information Board / Triangle / Do not display.

#959 ·
Hey guys, my ps3 has been wokring fine ever since i got it but now that i have updated it to 2.10 i get this error message saying "DLNA Protocol Error (501) has occurred" everytime i start it up or when i try and steam something i have looked all over the web and it looks like allot of overe people are haveing the same problem as me when they updated tei ps3 to 2.10... any help would be great guys thx in advance!

#960 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Maru /forum/post/12559261

I'm sorry if this has been metionned in the past. I have done quite a bit of looking around on the net and couldn't find a solution to my problem.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how you've got things set up and what exactly your issue is. Try explaining again, but more simply.

Quote:

Second installation is still simple. HDMI from PS3 to amp and HDMI from amp to PS3.

Something's seriously wrong with this setup. The PS3 doesn't have an "HDMI in" and doesn't need it for anything. You're trying to do something that your equipment can't (or shouldn't) do.

Quote:

I did some more digging around. Found out that my amp's HDMI switcher doesn't support HDCP. But that can't be it... if it was, it wouldn't work at all.

Right. But doing some of the connections you did may have fried something. Hopefully no permanent damage.

Quote:

Third installation, HDMI from PS3 to TV. Everything worked fine. I left the PS3 on for two hours in a game and the issue didn't hapenned once.

Judging by your post and your description of your setup, you're running things incorrectly through your receiver.

Here's how the connections should run:

PS3 -> HDMI -> AVR (so long as it passes video and audio via HDMI) -> HDMI -> TV

Be sure to double-check your sound and display settings in your PS3's XMB. You may also want to go ahead and do the autodetect reset (hold the power button on your PS3 until it beeps a second time).

Try that, and we'll go from there. Keep your description succinct and exacct so we know exactly where the problem is.

#962 ·
confidenceman:

Oops, I made a mistake in there.

The setup which seems to be the one I should use is an HDMI cable from my PS3 to my receiver and another HDMI cable from my receiver to my TV (I messed up here and wrote PS3 instead of TV)

This is the one setup where I was getting the proper sound but would eventually loose image and sound over time.

#963 ·
Lol

Could be a handshaking issue, so be sure to reset your PS3's autodetect function (once you hook it back up through your receiver).

Also, check out the (very long) thread dedicated to your receiver:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=822161

edit: and, of course, don't forget all your usual troubleshooting stuff: checking the cables, connections, and individual equipment.

#964 ·
I bought a Fighting Stick 3 for use with the PS3 for my child's Christmas present. As luck would have it
my wife saw it and popped in her PACMAN disk from the PS2. She always complained the PS3 controllers and the "wimpy" joystick feel just ruined PACMAN for her and the FS3 is just what she's been waiting for.

Well the FS3 doesn't seem to really function well on the PS2 games. It doesn't seem to "communicate" all the desired changes of direction to the console. Does anyone know if this is symptomatic of the FS3, maybe a problem with V2.10 of the PS3 firmware (don't know why I let it update on Christmas day), or do I maybe have a faulty FS3? Is there a good test program/game?????

Thanks

#965 ·
Ok well i am still having 720p via HDMI issues with my TV, but i am working on getting a firmware update to work to fix that.

I now have a different issue though.

I am using the Pioneer HTS-GS1 home theater in a box setup for all my sound... everything has worked fine so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HTS-GS.../dp/B000H683YC

I have it connected to my tv RCA OUT jacks and set the receiver to "Analog" ... then i turn my tv volume down to zero (if i mute the tv it still works but has a big ugly mute bar across the bottom) ...

I have an optical out from my 360 to the optical in on the receiver and that works fine as well.

I just got my gf Pirates of the Carribean 2 and 3 for xmas and they are our first BD movies... but the sound wont work!

I can turn my television volume up and it works that way, but for some reason the receiver wont pick up ANY of the audio on the BD.

My fiance just got me a Gamepod 1.5 chair for xmas, and its really cool... it connects wirelessly and uses RCA into the little wireless receiver for the chair.

***Ok let me start this part over.

I've discovered that if i manually set my video and audio settings through the PS3 Display menu through either HDMI or Optical and manually check all the DD/DTS/PCM/2CH/5.1, the blu-ray will play the audio fine through the receiver.

But when i try to play it through the gamechair, it doesnt pick up the sound.

On the chair if i browse the menu, the "clicks" are picked up, if i play a game the audio is fine there, even if i play an SD DVD the audio comes through the game chair just fine.

Its the audio in the BR movie that wont work on the chair for some reason. It wont even pick up the frequencies to make it rumble.

You are supposed to be able to use a splitter to get sound both to the chair AND your surround system at the same time... which is pointless in my case because the chair still wont even rumble.

Anyone have any ideas?

***Just a thought, the game chair is only 2CH... a speaker in each side of the headrest, and then the amp below the seat... could it just be that the PS3 isnt converting the 5.1 to 2 channel for the chair to pick up? If so, how could i fix this? Or is it even possible?

Hmmm

#966 ·
So I searched this forum, and others, before I posted this, but I can't seem to find the answer to my issue (well I found the answer but it didn't seem to work). We got a PS3 for x-mas, set it up and watched a BR movie looked great. Then we played a PS3 game, again looked great. I then played a PS2 game and it changed my settings (black bars on both sides of the screen when playing PS2 games). Put the PS3 game back in and it was back to normal. So I put in a normal DVD and it played with black bars on the side of the screen. I checked that upscale was set to normal and it was, but I still have the black bars. Just wondering if I'm missing another setting? Before the PS3 I had a Sony DVD upscale player and it worked fine, no black bars. Thanks

#967 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols1971 /forum/post/12589858

So I searched this forum, and others, before I posted this, but I can't seem to find the answer to my issue (well I found the answer but it didn't seem to work). We got a PS3 for x-mas, set it up and watched a BR movie looked great. Then we played a PS3 game, again looked great. I then played a PS2 game and it changed my settings (black bars on both sides of the screen when playing PS2 games). Put the PS3 game back in and it was back to normal. So I put in a normal DVD and it played with black bars on the side of the screen. I checked that upscale was set to normal and it was, but I still have the black bars. Just wondering if I'm missing another setting? Before the PS3 I had a Sony DVD upscale player and it worked fine, no black bars. Thanks

Sounds like your PS2 games are doing exactly what they should be (unless you have PS1/2 upscaling set to "full"). AFAIK, there are no PS2 games that do true widescreen. The only way to get widescreen from a PS2 game is in the game itself; certain games have a "widescreen" setting in their game menus, but these only crop the top and bottom of a 4:3 image to create an artificial 16:9 image (like GoW2, for example). You can also set your PS1/2 upscaling to "full" and it should fill the screen by stretching the image to 16:9.

For your standard def DVDs, though, I'm less certain what's happening. Are you connected via HDMI the whole way to your display? Upscaling only works via HDMI (copyright issues), so if you're using component you should turn off upscaling. You could try turning off DVD upscaling anyway just to see what happens. Also, double-check to make sure you're not playing a pan-and-scan DVD!

#968 ·
Thanks for your reply. I guess the PS2 games doing that makes sense. I haven't owned a game system in a long time so the PS3 seemed like a good way to get a game system and blu-ray player. The PS3 is using the same HDMI cable and HDMI port on the TV that the Sony DVD upscale was using. I tried a couple differnt DVD's and they all do the same when upscale is set to "normal". I turn upscale to "off" and it goes to full screen. Problem is that my daughter is watching Grease on DVD and I don't think that will be a good gauge on picture quality. I'll try a different DVD later. Thanks

#970 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols1971 /forum/post/12590688

OK, I swapped out different movies and set upscale to "normal". Shrek 3 with upscale at normal put the black bars on the screen and Grease was doing the same. I put Nemo in with upscale set to normal and it played on the whole screen, sooo I guess it depends on the movie(DVD)? Thanks

Both Grease and Shrek 3 have been released in fullscreen editions, so I'm guessing that's what you have. You probably have the widescreen Nemo, so that's why that one works for you. Nothing wrong with your PS3 settings!!

#972 ·
I ordered a new HD tv, playstation 3, and directtv service which will all be arriving soon and would like to know any advice on the best way to set it up to enjoy the full capabilities of the 1080p whether watching t.v. in HD or blu-ray movies on my Playstation3. I appreciate any advice, there's just so much I don't know. Samsung lnt-4665f, playstation 3 40g, directtv, 2 hdmi cables to go brand cables. I will be installing all this in about a week.

#973 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaHernandez /forum/post/12599909

I ordered a new HD tv, playstation 3, and directtv service which will all be arriving soon and would like to know any advice on the best way to set it up to enjoy the full capabilities of the 1080p whether watching t.v. in HD or blu-ray movies on my Playstation3. I appreciate any advice, there's just so much I don't know. Samsung lnt-4665f, playstation 3 40g, directtv, 2 hdmi cables to go brand cables. I will be installing all this in about a week.

So there are two aspects to consider, video and audio.

The video portion will be handled by utilizing a HDMI connection between the TV and the ps3. One recommendation would be to plug in the HDMI between the ps3 and tv first, then power on the the tv, and finally power on the ps3. This will allow the ps3 to auto-detect the video settings and hopefully you'll get 1080p right off the bat.

The second is for audio. I didn't know if you have a receiver (AVR) in between, but that can really change the movie experience if you have a full surround (5.1, 6.1, or 7.1) setup. There is an autodetect menu in the ps3 that can help you configure it, but if your only using the built-in tv speakers, make sure to go through the sound settings and only select the 2 channel audio options (and AAC) and that all the other 5.1 settings are off. Otherwise you could have a situation where you will not hear any dialogue on your tv but all the background music will sound fine.

Hope that helps!

-splints

#974 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaHernandez /forum/post/12599909

Awesome! Sounds like you've got what you need to get started. So long as everything gets up and running without a hitch, all you may want to do is tweak some display settings here and there (mostly on your TV). There are some useful threads in the HDTV forums for getting the most out of your display.

General display calibration forum.

Samsung LN-T4665 thread .

Samsung LN-T4665 calibration thread .

#975 ·
Annoying Crackling sounds while playing ps3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

This website has been so helpful in my home theatre quest I figure I ask a question. Maybe some of you experts can help me with this issue I am having. I have a DENON DHT487DV receiver a PS3 and a Vizio 47" LCD. I have the ps3 hooked up by HDMI straight to the TV and an optical cable to the receiver from the PS3. I bought a regular splitter(one in two out w/no switch) for the optical cable because my recever only has 2 optical outs and one is going to the regular DVD player and the other was going to the HD cable box. So I have to turn off my cable box everytime I use the PS3 thru the receiver. When I play blue ray movies it sounds great. But when I play a video game thru the receiver it sounds terrible almost like a crackling sound. I know this is long and maybe confusing but if anyone has run into this problem I would love to hear about it.

#976 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red4golf /forum/post/12601556

Annoying Crackling sounds while playing ps3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

This website has been so helpful in my home theatre quest I figure I ask a question. Maybe some of you experts can help me with this issue I am having. I have a DENON DHT487DV receiver a PS3 and a Vizio 47" LCD. I have the ps3 hooked up by HDMI straight to the TV and an optical cable to the receiver from the PS3. I bought a regular splitter(one in two out w/no switch) for the optical cable because my recever only has 2 optical outs and one is going to the regular DVD player and the other was going to the HD cable box. So I have to turn off my cable box everytime I use the PS3 thru the receiver. When I play blue ray movies it sounds great. But when I play a video game thru the receiver it sounds terrible almost like a crackling sound. I know this is long and maybe confusing but if anyone has run into this problem I would love to hear about it.

Hmm, have you tried resetting your ps3 to factory settings? (you can hold the power button for 10+ seconds until you hear multiple beeps)

I was also going to recommend that you run the optical directly to your receiver and see if the problem still exists or not.

Good Luck!

-Splints

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.