Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1373 Old 12-21-2006, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven582 View Post

My moniter is HDCP compliant. So I need A DVI to HDMI cable? So will this work?

my moniter
link

Cable
link

Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1373 Old 12-21-2006, 01:43 PM

I have a Toshiba 72MX195. It hooked up well enough, though I initially was receiving some feedback to my receiver through the HDMI connection. I eventually fixed this through my receiver's settings, but not sure how. I also believe that the PS3 has to be turned on before my receiver for proper sync.

I've played PS1 and PS2 games, and they look good, though the sidebars remain, hope this gets fixed.

Resistance looks great (though not as good as Gears of War) and I believe it defaults to 720P if you have 720P and 1080i checked in the PS3's display settings. My TV upconverts to 1080P so I try to get 1080i output whenever possible.

Standard DVD looks horrid, 480p I guess; but Blu-Ray seems to look well enough, I've only played the 5th Element and I have read it is far from the best BluRay disc.

Quite happy with everything for now, but it seems there is a lot of room for firmware improvements.

Later,
Trebuken
post #273 of 1373 Old 12-21-2006, 06:43 PM

okay guys (and gals),
here's my question about the ps3: do you think it will work with a ps2 vga cable connected to a epson powerlite s3 via its vga connection? the pj supports up to 1080i and the ps3 allows you to change display output via component. all resolutions excluding 1080p are supported. will this work, or will there be an issue because the pj component might not be rgb but rgbhv? how can i find out which the s3 has?... bare with me, i'm new to all this stuff and don't know if i'm saying it right. a sony csr told me that it may or may not support this setup (really helpful) so i thought i'd ask someone here; i just want to know if in theory it will work, since the ps2 vga cable i bought hasn't arrived yet. i hope that sony adds a firmware update that addresses this issue because the 360 does a good job of supporting vga output, in fact the picture thru the official microsoft vga cables on my pj is pretty good.

pete
post #274 of 1373 Old 12-22-2006, 09:44 AM

That's it! I'm gonna return the PS3, I don't want it if it's not going to work with my Westinghouse TV. I believe that the PS3 is not yet ready. They released many firmware updates in less than a month! So I will wait until my model (LVM-37w3) is working. Moreover, I know that there are many guys who didn't open it until this flickering problem with the HDMI connection is resolved!
I would like to know what the people from Sony will say when many of their customers start returning the PS3 because of this.
post #275 of 1373 Old 12-22-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaragon View Post

That's it! I'm gonna return the PS3, I don't want it if it's not going to work with my Westinghouse TV. I believe that the PS3 is not yet ready. They released many firmware updates in less than a month! So I will wait until my model (LVM-37w3) is working. Moreover, I know that there are many guys who didn't open it until this flickering problem with the HDMI connection is resolved!
I would like to know what the people from Sony will say when many of their customers start returning the PS3 because of this.

aaragon, I believe I may have discovered another thing with the PS3 and the Westinghouse monitors. The flickering apparently does not happen (and when it happens, it stabilizes after just 2 or 3 flickers) when the PS3 has been turned off for a while and is cool. After playing with it for a while and after it gets hot is when I start getting the non-stop flickering issues that I can only solve by turning the monitor off or changing inputs from the remote. Maybe this is an over-heating issue. My PS3 is in the open and gets fresh air, however it gets darn hot underneat the BD-ROM area on the right side. I can stand keeping my hand there, but it almost feels like it is too hot.

Could you confirm if your PS3 and Westi work fine (or has minimum flickering issues) while the PS3 is cold.
post #276 of 1373 Old 12-23-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijuremo View Post

aaragon, I believe I may have discovered another thing with the PS3 and the Westinghouse monitors. The flickering apparently does not happen (and when it happens, it stabilizes after just 2 or 3 flickers) when the PS3 has been turned off for a while and is cool. After playing with it for a while and after it gets hot is when I start getting the non-stop flickering issues that I can only solve by turning the monitor off or changing inputs from the remote. Maybe this is an over-heating issue. My PS3 is in the open and gets fresh air, however it gets darn hot underneat the BD-ROM area on the right side. I can stand keeping my hand there, but it almost feels like it is too hot.

Could you confirm if your PS3 and Westi work fine (or has minimum flickering issues) while the PS3 is cold.

Well, it's too late now. I returned the PS3 yesterday. However, I wanted to make sure that the people from Sony knew why I was returning it. So I called them and I talked to a person for about 30 min and then to her supervisor. I don't know if it gonna make any difference. I just hope it does. My overall feeling is that the PS3 is not yet ready and that they have to do some more work on it. I guess I will be checking this forum until they fix the problem. I spent some bad days with this issue. I actually bought my TV thinking in the PS3 to obtain the full 1080p.
About the heating issue, I remember that the flickering was permanent even when I turned on the system for the first time (not hot at all). Maybe we have different versions of firmware for the TV? Mine is v1.0. I heard that they go up to v1.8 now but honestly I have no idea about what improvements the people from Westinghouse have made on it.
post #277 of 1373 Old 12-23-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

is anyone having problems with the ps3 and the 4095d?

No. I have that set and the PS3 and it works great at 1080p for Blue-Ray. I got the set at CC
post #278 of 1373 Old 12-23-2006, 05:05 PM

How does PS3 handle on the Samsung 4095D or the Sharp 42D62U? Any problems with either set?
post #279 of 1373 Old 12-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

do you know for sure (100%) it's the ps3 and not your tv? alot of people that have my tv say they are having problems with the ps3 hooked up to there hitachi f59 tv's ( i have the 57f59) yet i have not had one single issue so far. hdmi is a tricky thing and i have had a few hiccups with my upconverting dvd player that i had hooked up to my hitachi every so often ( usually when i had watched 2 or 3 movie) to say it's all sony's fault is not total fair. i am not saying they shouldn't be on the problem trying to resolve it ,but i would say it's more of a 50/50 problem. i am sure everyone who has there ps3 hooked up to there tv's via hdmi will have some issues it comes with using hdmi and it has known handshake issues with everything from dvd player, tv's and receivers ect..
post #280 of 1373 Old 12-23-2006, 11:19 PM

I have a slightly over year old (9/05) S-O-N-Y SXRD 60 tv that has not under any cirmumstances accepted any signal via hdmi on either of its hdmi inputs from this brand spankin new ps3. Tried updating system software, the turn off hold 5 sec routine etc etc. TV hdmi inputs work fine from other sources (sat box, dvd player) using the same cables (good quality) I try on the PS3. Stock composite cables with system work fine and the PS3 works fine via hdmi-DVI into a friends older panasonic for lord sake but not with their own damned tv-- I know I wouldn't get 1080p on this model (r60xbr1) but 720p & 1080i sources aren't too much to ask, especially since other sources can do it. Have spent 3 hours talking to tech support at sony (both PS3 guys and TV side too) and they are at a loss to explain it, each trying to blame the other. They offered the 'send it back on us' and have no machine for at least 10 days option but based on the fact that have changed every link of the chain independently with no result doesn't give me much hope of that solving things either. I asked the tech guys if it could be different hdmi versions causing problems but they dismissed that thought and doubt my friends oler panny had a newer hdmi version anyhow. Can't judge from this forum which way on that arguement.
Glad several people have had positive experiences as maybe I just have two kids who won't play nice with one another even thought sony is the parent for both. Any suggestions from you guys ? Thanks for helping.
post #281 of 1373 Old 12-24-2006, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I am looking to add a PS3 to my home theatre setup. I currently have a 360 and love it, but the PS3 seems awesome with the unique potential of the cell and BR playback. I was totally stoked until I started reading some of the nightmares people are encountering regarding resolution compatablity/scaling etc.

I have a Sony KDLXBR1 LCD that accepts 720p and 1080i. It then scales it internally to the native resolution of the TV (1366x768).

My only concern is if I will be able to play all the games and watch BR discs without a hitch?

I would really like as little conversion of the resoultion as possible. Does the latest firmware update affect that in my case?
post #282 of 1373 Old 12-24-2006, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWilder View Post

I have a slightly over year old (9/05) S-O-N-Y SXRD 60 tv that has not under any cirmumstances accepted any signal via hdmi on either of its hdmi inputs from this brand spankin new ps3. Tried updating system software, the turn off hold 5 sec routine etc etc. TV hdmi inputs work fine from other sources (sat box, dvd player) using the same cables (good quality) I try on the PS3. Stock composite cables with system work fine and the PS3 works fine via hdmi-DVI into a friends older panasonic for lord sake but not with their own damned tv-- I know I wouldn't get 1080p on this model (r60xbr1) but 720p & 1080i sources aren't too much to ask, especially since other sources can do it. Have spent 3 hours talking to tech support at sony (both PS3 guys and TV side too) and they are at a loss to explain it, each trying to blame the other. They offered the 'send it back on us' and have no machine for at least 10 days option but based on the fact that have changed every link of the chain independently with no result doesn't give me much hope of that solving things either. I asked the tech guys if it could be different hdmi versions causing problems but they dismissed that thought and doubt my friends oler panny had a newer hdmi version anyhow. Can't judge from this forum which way on that arguement.
Glad several people have had positive experiences as maybe I just have two kids who won't play nice with one another even thought sony is the parent for both. Any suggestions from you guys ? Thanks for helping.

try going into the ps3 display setting and try it automatic settings for display, if that doesn't work try going back into display settings and select the display resolution settings manually that your set excepts like 720p, 1080i, 1080p ect.. and make sure you have the hdmi selected in the ps3 setting i know it sounds like a dumb question ,but i almost did this myself switching from componet. you didn't say if you were getting any picture at all through hdmi? or if it's just blank? make sure that your saving your setting for hdmi when exiting as well. let me know if you have tried any of these solutions. i know alot of people on here have the same tv as mine (hitach f59) and can't seem to use hdmi on there tv,yet i hooked my ps3 up with the hdmi cable that came with my upconverting dvd player and it works fine and i have had know problems on my 57f59 . anyway good luck and let me know if any of these things i mentioned helped.
post #283 of 1373 Old 12-24-2006, 05:58 PM

On my Mitsubishi WD-52628 1080p TV....I'm only getting 720P when I do my initial setup. Shouldn't it be 1080p??

Using a Monster Home Theater HDMI.

Thanks!!
post #284 of 1373 Old 12-24-2006, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion thebigdaddye. Unfortunately I have tried setting, resetting etc on my own and with the sony help guys via phone with no success. I get NO SIGNAL at all -- compared to those getting flickering etc-- on the hdmi input (actually either of the 2 hdmi inputs) from ps3 but signal is fine from Dish HD sat box to both input with same cable. Seems to me for some reason the handshake between these 2 components (ps3 & tv) isn't working properly.
At this point I have gone the route suggested by some others and am using the PS2 component+audio from the AV output with perfect results. Peeves me that I had to buy another cable but at least I get an HD picture so end result is fine. On this TV the picture quality seems to be very very similar if not same on hdmi & component so not a compromise there. Be interesting to see if Sony releases a fix since hdmi seems to be a problem with several makes of TV based on people I've talked to in town and online.
post #285 of 1373 Old 12-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWilder View Post

Thanks for the suggestion thebigdaddye. Unfortunately I have tried setting, resetting etc on my own and with the sony help guys via phone with no success. I get NO SIGNAL at all -- compared to those getting flickering etc-- on the hdmi input (actually either of the 2 hdmi inputs) from ps3 but signal is fine from Dish HD sat box to both input with same cable. Seems to me for some reason the handshake between these 2 components (ps3 & tv) isn't working properly.
At this point I have gone the route suggested by some others and am using the PS2 component+audio from the AV output with perfect results. Peeves me that I had to buy another cable but at least I get an HD picture so end result is fine. On this TV the picture quality seems to be very very similar if not same on hdmi & component so not a compromise there. Be interesting to see if Sony releases a fix since hdmi seems to be a problem with several makes of TV based on people I've talked to in town and online.

just one more question? when you first set up your ps3 how did you have it hooked up? i ask because i don't think the ps3 will recognize what you have hooked upt it like say componet or composite. have you tried since you have it hooked up with componet to go in and switch to hdmi that way/ and have it ready on another input? thats how i did mine, because at first i had it hooked up via componet and then i wanted to switch to hdmi (if you switch to a different type then the screen will go blank until your go to the different input. problem is you have to switch it in the settings and i then had the hdmi already hooked up to the ps3 and tv the same time as componet. once i switched to hdmi in the ps3 settings i then pulled out the componet and the switched inputs on my tv that has hdmi. i know it sounds funny ,but thats how i did it and it worked great. other wise i don't think the ps3 knows what is hooked up to it like i said composite,componet or hdmi. i know it's a pain ,but i would give that a try. also make sure you have the hdmi in very good i know i had problems at first with either componet or hdmi connection on the back because i didn't have it in very good. try this if you want and let me know. i just can't see how it won't work on your sony tv.
post #286 of 1373 Old 12-25-2006, 09:18 AM

I have an HP 2335 (not HDCP) 23" LCD monitor (1920x1080 resolution), I am trying to connect the PS3 via an HDMI-DVI cable to my monitor but I am not getting any signal, should it work out of the box (I have downloaded patch 1.32 to the PS3) or do I need to tell the PS3 to output via HDMI?

Thanks!
post #287 of 1373 Old 12-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon View Post

I have an HP 2335 (not HDCP) 23" LCD monitor (1920x1080 resolution), I am trying to connect the PS3 via an HDMI-DVI cable to my monitor but I am not getting any signal, should it work out of the box (I have downloaded patch 1.32 to the PS3) or do I need to tell the PS3 to output via HDMI?

Thanks!

* Turn on TV and set input to HDMI port being used.
* Make sure PS3 is connected via HDMI.
* Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds (release after the second beep). It should automatically configure your PS3 to the TV's native resolution for all settings.
post #288 of 1373 Old 12-25-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharmon91 View Post

* Turn on TV and set input to HDMI port being used.
* Make sure PS3 is connected via HDMI.
* Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds (release after the second beep). It should automatically configure your PS3 to the TV's native resolution for all settings.

thanks...this is what I currently get when I do that:

I have an HDMI-DVI cable attached to my monitor. I also have a crappy composite video cable attached to my monitor. My monitor has PIP in the upper right corner and after the 2nd beep I get a screen that says:

An available HDMI device was detected.
Do you want to output video and audio using HDMI?

When I choose: Yes

The screen goes blank on my monitor, what is interesting is that the monitor does not lose signal (power light is still green instead of orange). If I reset the PS3 again (without holding the power button) then again I get the composite signal broadcast into my PiP corner. I will try again without the AV cable connected to the PS3, only the HDMI and see if that works.

Does my monitor need to be HDCP compliant? (cause it is not), also have people been successful in connecting their monitors via an HDMI to DVI cable?
post #289 of 1373 Old 12-25-2006, 09:53 AM

if I disconnect the PS3 AV cable, and reset the PS3 (holding down the power button), my monitor receives a signal on the 2nd beep (power light goes from orange to green) but I still get a blank screen. I guess this means my monitor is not compatible?
post #290 of 1373 Old 12-25-2006, 10:00 AM

looks like I need an HDCP monitor

rot row
post #291 of 1373 Old 12-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Gagnon, Im having a similer problem, I have been running of Component and just got HDMI today. When I try to switch my PS3 to HDMI my screen flickers a green fuzz. I have no clue what the problem is and its driving me crazy.
post #292 of 1373 Old 12-25-2006, 12:53 PM

Does the PS3 work with the Westinghouse LVM-47w1 over HDMI now? Any owner out there?
post #293 of 1373 Old 12-25-2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kian View Post

Does the PS3 work with the Westinghouse LVM-47w1 over HDMI now? Any owner out there?

I'm having problems with cycling screens in the tool box area. Jack LT said to try a HDMI to DVI cable. I'll try that tomorrow and if it doesn't work, its back to BB.
post #294 of 1373 Old 12-26-2006, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Does the PS3 work with the Sony KD-34XBR960 CRT?

Are there any issue with the PS3 hooked up with HDMI to this TV when watching Blu-Ray movies in 1080i and playing games in 720P?

I'd like to know because I get my PS3 60 gig this thursday and have resistance and just bought a cheap HDMI cable off monoprice.com .

I also was going to get my a Westinghouse LVM-37w3 but after I read about all the problems with the flicker issue with HDMI and 1080p.I canceled my order from buy.com before they charged my credit card and shipped me the TV since buy.com does not do any refunds.
post #295 of 1373 Old 12-26-2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post

I have a Toshiba 72MX195. It hooked up well enough, though I initially was receiving some feedback to my receiver through the HDMI connection. I eventually fixed this through my receiver's settings, but not sure how. I also believe that the PS3 has to be turned on before my receiver for proper sync.

I've played PS1 and PS2 games, and they look good, though the sidebars remain, hope this gets fixed.

Resistance looks great (though not as good as Gears of War) and I believe it defaults to 720P if you have 720P and 1080i checked in the PS3's display settings. My TV upconverts to 1080P so I try to get 1080i output whenever possible.

Standard DVD looks horrid, 480p I guess; but Blu-Ray seems to look well enough, I've only played the 5th Element and I have read it is far from the best BluRay disc.

Quite happy with everything for now, but it seems there is a lot of room for firmware improvements.

Later,
Trebuken

My tv is 1080 also. In games such as Call of Duty 3, it displays in 720p and 1080i. Currently, my tv is showing it in 720p. How can I make it 1080i?

Thanks
post #296 of 1373 Old 12-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzsports View Post

My tv is 1080 also. In games such as Call of Duty 3, it displays in 720p and 1080i. Currently, my tv is showing it in 720p. How can I make it 1080i?

Thanks

go into the display settings on the ps3 and unselect 720p and just leave 1080i selected and it will be in 1080i.
post #297 of 1373 Old 12-26-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Well, it's too late now. I returned the PS3 yesterday. However, I wanted to make sure that the people from Sony knew why I was returning it. So I called them and I talked to a person for about 30 min and then to her supervisor. I don't know if it gonna make any difference. I just hope it does. My overall feeling is that the PS3 is not yet ready and that they have to do some more work on it. I guess I will be checking this forum until they fix the problem. I spent some bad days with this issue. I actually bought my TV thinking in the PS3 to obtain the full 1080p.
About the heating issue, I remember that the flickering was permanent even when I turned on the system for the first time (not hot at all). Maybe we have different versions of firmware for the TV? Mine is v1.0. I heard that they go up to v1.8 now but honestly I have no idea about what improvements the people from Westinghouse have made on it.

Sorry to hear that. Didn't Sony offer to replace your PS3 for a new one? I am sending mine back in January 2nd with the pre-paid shipping labels SONY sent me. If the next PS3 I receive does the same thing, then I will know for sure it is a PS3 problem. The Tech Support lady to whom I talked did not asked much, I told her about the flickering video and sound and then she just said she would send me a new one.
post #298 of 1373 Old 12-26-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijuremo View Post

Sorry to hear that. Didn't Sony offer to replace your PS2 for a new one? I am sending mine back in January 2nd with the pre-paid shipping labels SONY sent me. If the next PS3 I receive does the same thing, then I will know for sure it is a PS3 problem. The Tech Support lady to whom I talked did not asked much, I told her about the flickering video and sound and then she just said she would send me a new one.

Well, they did offer me to send another PS3. However, since were not going to modify anything (not hardware modifications), I'm sure I was going to have the same problems. Please let me know if it went well with the new PS3 you will receive.
post #299 of 1373 Old 12-26-2006, 09:47 PM

The only issue I have had with my ps3 is on my 72mx196 i have it and my dishnetwork plugged into the HDMI ports and the optical cable to my surround sound. And is it the tv or the hdmi on the ps3 that do not support dts? I run optical from ps3 to onkyo reciever and it picks it up just fine.
post #300 of 1373 Old 12-26-2006, 09:58 PM

I forgot to mention this was noticed on Ice age. Which does really look amazing. I don't mind watching it over and over with the babies.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Westinghouse , Jvc , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page