Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1373 Old 09-17-2007, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post

Wait, I do have a correction to my original statement. It will pass whatever it receives, but only stereo signals. Anything beyond two channels needs to come from the tuner (OTA HD 5.1 usually) or be passed directly from device to the receiver. Thats why i set everything to go straight to receiver, because watching DVDs, Blurays or playing games in stereo is pretty passe.

Got my question answered on my Owner's Thread. HDCP compliance is the problem. Should have figured something as illogical as what I was experiencing was the result of a government regulation meant to protect against piracy. Thanks for the responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1373 Old 09-19-2007, 09:41 PM

I'll start off with my setup then I'll dive in to the merid of tests that have all failed. Hopefully someone on hear will have an idea cause I am STUMPED!

Setup:
PS3 (which I have had for about 4 months) Connected via HDMI (video and audio)
Sony STR-DG1000 New (Just got it monday)
Westinghouse LMV-42w (Had it for about 15 months no problem)

Issue:
Horrible Buzzing/Static from Center channel (and only center channel) from the PS3 via HDMI Audio out.

Pre test notes:

Before I got this Sony STR-DG1000 receiver I had an HK AVR247. The burned out (don't know why) and I had a service plan. Long story (and many trips to best buy later, they gave me a clearance (but still new in the box) STR-DG1000. Prior to this the PS3 worked perfectly with the HK AVR247 (which is an HDMI switching 7.1 receiver like the Sony STR-DG1000 is).

Tests I have run (in no particular order) all with the same result (except where noted):
1) New Cable
2) Other new cable
3) Optical out (No static sounds fine but no 7.1)
4) Other Other new cable
5) Every Linear PCM audio setting (All 2 channel options sound fine as they do not engage the center channel, its the 5.1 and 7.1 options that cause the static)
6) Both HDMI inputs on the STR-DG1000
7) Audio only (disconnected the TV, which I did because I heard some complaints about the HDMI HDCP handshake having issues with a PS3)
8) Verious startup combinations (TV first, PS3 first, receiver first, etc.. stuff like that)
9) Move PS3 away from WII and Xbox 360
10) Validated that surround sound works from my Dish Network via HDMI (can't test PCM as dish doesn't DO PCM)
11) Tested 1080p, 1080i, 720p video out (just incase the video out was causing audio issues... I don't know, I'm grasping at straws here :-P)
12) Changed the plug the PS3 was plugged into.
13) tried the "Un Grounded" hack that some on the Sony forums suggested might resolve the issue.

Ok so anyone got any ideas? I am TOTALLY Stumped here! This is quite frustrating (which is only compounded by the 3 weeks of best buy related issues I have been having with Audio receivers in general but thats a diffrent story).

Thanks in advance
Josh
post #723 of 1373 Old 09-21-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandel View Post

Issue:
Horrible Buzzing/Static from Center channel (and only center channel) from the PS3 via HDMI Audio out.

Josh

Have you tried switching the output of front and centre channels to the speakers ? It may help to determine where the problem lies.
post #724 of 1373 Old 09-22-2007, 05:42 PM

Hi there,
I am new to this forum. I just purchased the panny th50pz750u and it's gorgeous. Soon I will be getting a PS3 for both gaming and blu-ray. My question is this, since this tv doesn't do 24 mhz, it does 60 mhz (i think that's right), will connecting the two via HDMI give me a black box around the outside of the screen? I've heard something about this and am hoping it's just a false rumor. I would appreciate any input thanks.
post #725 of 1373 Old 09-23-2007, 10:13 AM

Ed_t,
It end up being a bad LPCM module in my STR-DG1000. Swapped it out at best buy and I was up and running with the new one no problem.. This was my 4th bad receiver in 2 months (which was why I tried so many diffrent things, I just couldn't believe I had ANOTHER bad receiver)... I am having bad electronics karma right now I guess.

* I should note that previous to this Sony receiver I had gone thru 3 HK AVR247's

Josh
post #726 of 1373 Old 09-28-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if the PS3 will do 1080p on the Vizio GV47LF?

much apreciated
post #727 of 1373 Old 10-01-2007, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1984 View Post

Hi there,
I am new to this forum. I just purchased the panny th50pz750u and it's gorgeous. Soon I will be getting a PS3 for both gaming and blu-ray. My question is this, since this tv doesn't do 24 mhz, it does 60 mhz (i think that's right), will connecting the two via HDMI give me a black box around the outside of the screen? I've heard something about this and am hoping it's just a false rumor. I would appreciate any input thanks.

The refresh rate and the "black box" have nothing to do with each other. The refresh rate of the PS3 can be set as 60 or 24. 24 for those TVs that support it, and 60 otherwise.

I am not sure what black box you mean, the only thing i can think of is overscan. Newer TVs let you display in 1:1 pixel ratio, or just fit, and thus see everything the PS3 renders, the full 1080p.
post #728 of 1373 Old 10-03-2007, 12:31 PM

I recently purchased the Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U LCD. The TV has 3 HDMI 1.3 ports. If I remember correctly, the PS3 is also HDMI 1.3 capable. My question is what settings do I need to have or what do I need to do to make sure I'm getting the full HDMI 1.3 potential. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #729 of 1373 Old 10-07-2007, 06:15 PM

I have a Pioneer 5010 connected to my PS3 via a Monoprice HDMI 1.3 cable. I've had absolutely no problems.
post #730 of 1373 Old 10-11-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1984 View Post

Hi there,

I think you mean 24 Hz ( 1 Hertz = 1 cycle per second ). The previous response was correct in that 24/30/60 Hz has nothing to do with the formatting of the image, it's really a product of the format of the material on the source DVD.

Rest assured, I have the same TV, and the PS3 looks absolutely stunning on it with both Blu-ray and game.

Make sure you follow the plasma burn-in recommendations found elsewhere in the forum. You won't regret doing that.

I'm especially tickled with the fact that I can burn a normal DVD-R ROM with AVCHD content from my Panasonic HDC-SD5 1080p camcorder and the Sony PS3 will play it back perfectly in full 1080p resolution.

Enjoy!
post #731 of 1373 Old 10-11-2007, 06:15 PM

Using a Sharp AQUOS LC-42D64U right now, no problems, far better than my previous Westy 42in monitor
post #732 of 1373 Old 10-12-2007, 05:13 PM

I haven't read through this thread yet (but about to start) but i've been having a problem and not sure if it was covered yet.

I've got a Vizio VX37L for my PS3 and have it hooked up with HDMI cables from Monoprice. Everything was fine for the first week or so, and then I turned on my PS3 and had no video, only audio and the controls of the ps3 worked. I tried a little troubleshooting and switched TV inputs and cables but everything was fine except the PS3. It's like the ps3 reset itself or something. I had to restart the system several times for the HDMI connection to take and then it worked again, for a few days.

I left the ps3 on overnight last night to download some demos and when I checked it this am, the same thing happened.

I called Sony and they have heard of this problem, but said it was most likely a cable or TV issue, but didn't say it wasn't the ps3 either.

I also get the 'no signal' when entering/exiting a game, don't know if that is related or if it's just switching resolutions.
post #733 of 1373 Old 10-14-2007, 09:22 PM

Hi all. I need help/advice, last week bought a new a sony KDL-40 XBR5 lcd tv, the new 40gb ps3, as im in australia and its available here. I also got a crest HDMI cable from the sony store. The one problem i'm having is i cant get 1080p over the HDMI connection all the other res work fine 1080i 720p etc . what happens is this when i switch to 1080p in ps3 display settings, the signal cuts in and out and is fuzzy and distorted and imposible to leave as is so i have to go back down to 1080i. I cant figure out if its the cable thats the poblem the ps3 or maybe the tv? has anyone else heard of or eperienced this issue? please let me know i need help........
post #734 of 1373 Old 10-15-2007, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Samsung LN-T4665F

Older version had HDMI issues. Serial numbers with 8th/9th numbers should be "P(2007)/and at least "6"(month)" or later. I own one("P9) and it works flawlessly with my PS3 through HDMI.
post #735 of 1373 Old 10-20-2007, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry But I cant seem to find the answer to my particular problem anywhere in this posting so if any of you can help... Id appreciate it..

When I turn on my playstation 3 via HDMI to my Samsung lcd..When in the menu..my television will blink and occasionally go blank and and once in a while will even turn into a gray static screen. This only happens when iam scrolling through the menus but the second I go into a game, I have no issues. It may not sound like a big deal but when you want to surf on the internet or look at photos..everything blinks and its really annoying. Has anyone heard of this not happening in the game and only in the menu? And if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Samsung UN65HU9000
Pioneer VSX -524 -K
Sony PS3
post #736 of 1373 Old 10-20-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoIXse View Post

I have a Pioneer 5010 connected to my PS3 via a Monoprice HDMI 1.3 cable. I've had absolutely no problems.

I have a pro150 and can't get audio via hdmi. did you ever have any issues?
post #737 of 1373 Old 10-23-2007, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CK632 View Post

Sorry But I cant seem to find the answer to my particular problem anywhere in this posting so if any of you can help... Id appreciate it..

When I turn on my playstation 3 via HDMI to my Samsung lcd..When in the menu..my television will blink and occasionally go blank and and once in a while will even turn into a gray static screen. This only happens when iam scrolling through the menus but the second I go into a game, I have no issues. It may not sound like a big deal but when you want to surf on the internet or look at photos..everything blinks and its really annoying. Has anyone heard of this not happening in the game and only in the menu? And if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks!

You should post your problem here, if it is one of those model numbers. If it's not then look for your model number in the LCD TV section. You'll get more answers there.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847465
post #738 of 1373 Old 10-25-2007, 10:49 AM

Hello Everyone,

Part-time lurker, now I have an issue:

Just bought a new 80GB PS3 (comes with Motostorm).

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-60C46U. Currently, the TV does not even detect the HDMI cables.

Yes, I've tried to setup the Display Settings in the PS3 Menu.

Yes, I've tried two different cables. One from Apple Stores and the other is a 3rd party React HDMI cable, 1.3a I believe?

Any and all help would be appreciated, fellas.

Do I need to upgrade my TVs software or something?

Thank you!

P.S. No blinking or anything like that...the TV simply does not detect a HDMI input (circle with diagonal line)
post #739 of 1373 Old 10-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Try connecting everything and with the PS3 off, turn it on by holding the front power button on for 5-7 seconds, until you hear a beep, then let go. The PS3 will power up and autodetect HDMI.

Also, do any other HDMI inputs work on your TV? Any other HDMI sources? Maybe its a TV issue.

Worst case, go swap out the PS3, and if you still have the same problem, its a TV issue.
post #740 of 1373 Old 10-25-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post

Try connecting everything and with the PS3 off, turn it on by holding the front power button on for 5-7 seconds, until you hear a beep, then let go. The PS3 will power up and autodetect HDMI.

Also, do any other HDMI inputs work on your TV? Any other HDMI sources? Maybe its a TV issue.

Worst case, go swap out the PS3, and if you still have the same problem, its a TV issue.

Thanks.

I'm afraid, though, it might just be a TV issue.

If it is, I'm assuming I'm doomed?
post #741 of 1373 Old 10-26-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion47 View Post

Does anyone know if the PS3 will do 1080p on the Vizio GV47LF?

much apreciated

This is a month late, but I just got a PS3 yesterday. 1080p through HDMI works beautifully on my GV42LF. The 5" larger screen shouldn't change anything I wouldn't think.
post #742 of 1373 Old 10-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirts View Post

Thanks.

I'm afraid, though, it might just be a TV issue.

If it is, I'm assuming I'm doomed?

If its a TV issue, then you can go to the forum for that TV and see if you can get some help, or call the manufacturer.
post #743 of 1373 Old 10-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

I am having audio problems with a PS3 connected to a Denon 4306 receiver, via HDMI:

Symptoms:

For the most part, there is no sound played through the Denon, but there are some exceptions:

1) The "orchestra tuning" startup sound plays. After that, none of the other sounds from the dashboard are played.

2) The PlayStation signature sound plays when a game is launched (ie. when the screen says "PlayStation 3").

3) I launched the F1 Championship demo, and the commentator's voice is played, but no other sounds!

4) Super Rub-a-Dub demo has sound.

None of the movie trailers I have tried play audio. I have not tried all games or demos yet, but most of the ones I have tested have no sound.

The display panel on the 4306 says "Multichannel input" (or something like that) and displays the 7.1 speaker lights.

What I have tried:

1) Upgraded the firmware on 4306. PS3 is at 1.94.

2) Connected by optical spdif. This did not help at all.

3) Reset the PS3 (holding powerup button for six seconds, and going through the automatic setup menus).

The PS3 does play all audio when connected directly to the TV with HDMI.

Another piece of data (but it may be completely unrelated): I have a Samsung T151 receiver for OTA broadcast TV. It sends Dolby Digital over optical. On some Los Angeles channels, commercials often have no sound. This may be related to the PS3 glitch, or it may just be a problem with the broadcasters.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, an AVS Forum tradition.
post #744 of 1373 Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 PM

The fact that your PS3 works fine when connected to your TV via HDMI means that your Denon is not setup correctly, and the problem with certain commercials OTA might be the same root cause.

So you might want to check that: in audio setting portion of PS3, you are dumping audio signal to the correct terminal depending on your intended connection type (HDMI or toslink), and appropriate format is selected depending on your Denon's capability; also check your receiver settings, I cannot go into detail because I'm not familiar with 4306, but looks like there's setting issue with your Denon because it's less likely that your PS3 and broadcaster (especially this one) go wrong at the same time

just my $.02
post #745 of 1373 Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

I figured out my problem. It was some speaker settings on the Denon. All is well!

The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, an AVS Forum tradition.
post #746 of 1373 Old 11-01-2007, 01:56 PM

i ahve a sammy HL-S6187W DLP TV connected to my PS3 via a monorpice 6 foot HDMI cable, and i have had no issues at all. 1080P via HDMI and 5.1 via optical to my yamaha reciever

LIVE: SAi33N

PSN: Sai33N

Wii: 3579 5525 9379 7004
post #747 of 1373 Old 11-02-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well I see the 40gig model of the PS3 is now available for $3xx... and they did include the Blu-Ray disk of Spidey3... however, apparently they do not "also" include the MotorStorm game so you are getting the DVD instead of the game... which if I am not mistaken is about half the price of the game... kinda makes me wonder if the 40gig is really as good a deal as I thought it was going to be................

Also is there a link to the correct audio settings on the PS3 if you are connecting via HDMI to one of the newer HDMI 1.3 AVR's??

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #748 of 1373 Old 11-02-2007, 05:16 PM

keep gettin hdmi no signel but so everytime it happens i have to turn the unplug the power from the ps3 and tv
why is it doin this ?is it the tv or the ps3 or the cable
also that hdmi problem that ps3 was havin a while ago has already been fix also i dont have any other hdmi so i cant try it on other things the hdmi cable and i try other hdmi ports so it cant be the hdmi on the tv
also the tv is 32" R8 LA32R81BDX and i have tryed 2 hdmi cords now
post #749 of 1373 Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 PM

post #750 of 1373 Old 11-03-2007, 07:47 AM

I am uing an HDMI/DVI cable fine for upconversion of SD DVD's and for the 720P games. I use component for BD and the 1080i games perfectly.

I have a problem - when setting the RGB to "full" rather than limited I get a green glow around bright areas, moreso prevalent when the bright area is beside a dark area. It is unwatchable. When using limited, I lose a lot of colour depth and the picture is a little washed out, but better than watching upconverted content at 480P.

Any suggestions?
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Westinghouse , Jvc , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page