I'll start off with my setup then I'll dive in to the merid of tests that have all failed. Hopefully someone on hear will have an idea cause I am STUMPED!
PS3 (which I have had for about 4 months) Connected via HDMI (video and audio)
Sony STR-DG1000 New (Just got it monday)
Westinghouse LMV-42w (Had it for about 15 months no problem)
Horrible Buzzing/Static from Center channel (and only center channel) from the PS3 via HDMI Audio out.
Pre test notes:
Before I got this Sony STR-DG1000 receiver I had an HK AVR247. The burned out (don't know why) and I had a service plan. Long story (and many trips to best buy later, they gave me a clearance (but still new in the box) STR-DG1000. Prior to this the PS3 worked perfectly with the HK AVR247 (which is an HDMI switching 7.1 receiver like the Sony STR-DG1000 is).
Tests I have run (in no particular order) all with the same result (except where noted):
1) New Cable
2) Other new cable
3) Optical out (No static sounds fine but no 7.1)
4) Other Other new cable
5) Every Linear PCM audio setting (All 2 channel options sound fine as they do not engage the center channel, its the 5.1 and 7.1 options that cause the static)
6) Both HDMI inputs on the STR-DG1000
7) Audio only (disconnected the TV, which I did because I heard some complaints about the HDMI HDCP handshake having issues with a PS3)
8) Verious startup combinations (TV first, PS3 first, receiver first, etc.. stuff like that)
9) Move PS3 away from WII and Xbox 360
10) Validated that surround sound works from my Dish Network via HDMI (can't test PCM as dish doesn't DO PCM)
11) Tested 1080p, 1080i, 720p video out (just incase the video out was causing audio issues... I don't know, I'm grasping at straws here :-P)
12) Changed the plug the PS3 was plugged into.
13) tried the "Un Grounded" hack that some on the Sony forums suggested might resolve the issue.
Ok so anyone got any ideas? I am TOTALLY Stumped here! This is quite frustrating (which is only compounded by the 3 weeks of best buy related issues I have been having with Audio receivers in general but thats a diffrent story).
Thanks in advance