Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1373 Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppomerantz View Post

Will resetting the settings affect hard drive in any way? There is a lot of stuff stored on it. Don't ask me what's stored there; kids have games saved, etc.

I was hoping to be able to move the PS3 between the 2 TV's without making a big deal out of it. I'd hate to have to restore settings each time we move it.

Don't worry, it won't erase anything, it's just like a "reset settings" kind thing.

All your data will still be there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1373 Old 11-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppomerantz View Post

Will resetting the settings affect hard drive in any way? There is a lot of stuff stored on it. Don't ask me what's stored there; kids have games saved, etc.

I was hoping to be able to move the PS3 between the 2 TV's without making a big deal out of it. I'd hate to have to restore settings each time we move it.

It wont affect anything other than video setttings. And the settings restore is exaclty for that, a quick way to move it from TV to TV. Thats just the way HDMI works, it can only be paired with one TV at a time. If you were using component, then you would not need the restore feature every time.
post #1083 of 1373 Old 11-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

It's possible if your tv supports BTB and WTW. It doesn't hurt, try it out and see if you like it or not.

-Splints

But what is BTB and WTW?
post #1084 of 1373 Old 11-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ediri View Post

But what is BTB and WTW?

Its blacker than black and whiter than white. Full range on RGB is 1-255, or monitor settings, while Limited is 16-235, or what TVs are usually (almost all LCDs and Plasmas). So if you play on a TV or monitor that supports 1-255 then it will lok better. If you play on a TV that does not support 1-255 then it will receive 1-255 but it will compress to 16-235, which means you will lose some black detail and some white detail and see some banding in color gradients.

Ultimately, if your TV supports it, Full is good. But if it does not, then it makes it worse. It may seem better because colors will be brighter, but in reality it will lose color definition.
post #1085 of 1373 Old 11-28-2008, 07:48 PM

Ok I have a PS3. I had it hooked up to my TV via HDMI. I remember when hooking it up the PS3 asked me if I wanted the HDMI to be the new way my PS3 to be used. Well I got rid of the TV and until I get my new TV I have the PS3 hooked up to a reg TV with no HDMI. Well now I can't get my PS3 to even show up on the TV. I can't change the PS3 to be hooked up with the regular cables because it's looking for the HDMI.

I hope I'm making sense. If so doews anyone know how to change the PS3 back from HDMI to the reg cables?

TY in advance
post #1086 of 1373 Old 11-29-2008, 09:46 AM

I just got a Samsung T260 LCD monitor, and primarily for my PS3. I believe i have set it up correctly, I hooked it up with HDMI cables, and configured my ps3 to 1080p. In PS3 menu my monitor displays full resolution and it looks very good 1900 x 1200 . However when i go into game the resolution drops to 1200 x 768 with 40hz , and looks terrible, just like a standard tv.

Is there any thing i can do to fix this??

Any suggestions?
post #1087 of 1373 Old 11-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksdad1970 View Post

Ok I have a PS3. I had it hooked up to my TV via HDMI. I remember when hooking it up the PS3 asked me if I wanted the HDMI to be the new way my PS3 to be used. Well I got rid of the TV and until I get my new TV I have the PS3 hooked up to a reg TV with no HDMI. Well now I can't get my PS3 to even show up on the TV. I can't change the PS3 to be hooked up with the regular cables because it's looking for the HDMI.

I hope I'm making sense. If so doews anyone know how to change the PS3 back from HDMI to the reg cables?

TY in advance

Look in the manual.

What you can do is reset the video settings. Hook it up and then turn off the PS3 (standby). THen press the power button the front and hold it down as it turns on, about 5 seconds until you hear a few beeps. Then the video will come on and ask you to redo your video and audio settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetz07 View Post

I just got a Samsung T260 LCD monitor, and primarily for my PS3. I believe i have set it up correctly, I hooked it up with HDMI cables, and configured my ps3 to 1080p. In PS3 menu my monitor displays full resolution and it looks very good 1900 x 1200 . However when i go into game the resolution drops to 1200 x 768 with 40hz , and looks terrible, just like a standard tv.

Is there any thing i can do to fix this??

Any suggestions?

The PS3 outputs whatever resolution the game is in, either 720p or 1080i or 1080p. In this case, your game may be 720p and the monitor displays 720p as 1200x768. There is nothing you can do. The PS3 is designed for TVs, which upscale everything they receive to whatever their native resolution is. The closest thing you may be able to do is set your monitor to upscale/stretch whatever it receives to a full screen image.

Check with some demos of 1080p games and see. For example try Virtua Tennis, Ridge Racer, NBA street homecourt, Pixeljunk games...

But a monitor is not an optimal display. Its not 16:9, its 16:10 aspect ratio.
post #1088 of 1373 Old 11-30-2008, 06:13 PM

Hmm, ya I have tried games like Fifa 09, NHL 09, and it just looks terrible, cant even begin to describe it, well pretty much like it would on a 10 year old crappy tv. So something must not be right. In ps3 menu it seems to be in 1080p however in game it goes down to the 460 or whatever.
post #1089 of 1373 Old 11-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetz07 View Post

Hmm, ya I have tried games like Fifa 09, NHL 09, and it just looks terrible, cant even begin to describe it, well pretty much like it would on a 10 year old crappy tv. So something must not be right. In ps3 menu it seems to be in 1080p however in game it goes down to the 460 or whatever.

I would see in the manual for your monitor what resolutions it supports as input.
Here it is:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...00723B-Eng.pdf

From looking through it quickly, set your monitor "AV Mode" to On, since its not a PC but an AV device. Then use either "Wide" or "Just Scan" under HDMI/DVI Mode.
Then try both a 1080p game like the Pixeljunk games demo. Then try a 720p demo such as Bioshock. And let us know how that worked and what the info screen tells you while you play each of those. Also, if you can take a picture of the "messed up" version we may be able to help more.
post #1090 of 1373 Old 12-01-2008, 06:04 PM

I have tried setting it to AV , and to just scan but to no avail.
I am have uploaded pictures of what it looks like on the monitor. Pics werent taken with a great camera but believe me it looks just as bad, and cant be HD.

Not sure what else i should try.
LL
LL
LL
post #1091 of 1373 Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 PM

Sharp Aquos LC26D43U:
Works flawlessly. Occasionally when switching between games/XMB I'll get a brief flash of a pink screen, but never any issues when staying at a set resolution. (I assume the pink flash is when the resolution is adjusted between the XMB (1080i) and the games (720p max on some of them), though I could be wrong)
post #1092 of 1373 Old 12-07-2008, 12:07 PM

Hi, i have an 80g ps3 hooked up to my toshiba 40rv525u with hdmi cables. when displayed in 1080p i get random white flashes/flickering. 1080i works fine. I tried different cables and changed settings, but still flickers on 1080p. Do you know if this is a ps3 issue or tv? thanks
post #1093 of 1373 Old 12-07-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you know if this is a ps3 issue or tv?

Sounds like a TV handshake issue..

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #1094 of 1373 Old 12-07-2008, 04:38 PM

how do you fix the tv handshake issue? does the ps3 support 1080p? I have it connected directly to the tv, or do u need to update the ps3?
post #1095 of 1373 Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winko369 View Post

how do you fix the tv handshake issue? does the ps3 support 1080p? I have it connected directly to the tv, or do u need to update the ps3?

The PS3 supports 1080p. It does not need an update. It is the TV that likely has an issue. Same thing happened with Samsung TVs about 3 years ago and they released a firmware flash for the TV to fix the issues. Newer TVs since then have not had issues.

But first try a different HDMI cable.

Also are the flashes during movies/games or while it is switching between XMB/game/movies?
post #1096 of 1373 Old 12-08-2008, 08:23 PM

Does anyone know if the PS3 supports Bravia Theater Sync via the Control for HDMI function? This is the feature that sony has put into many devices such as TVs and Receivers to allow them to be controlled by one remote (i.e. if you select dvd on the receiver the TV will turn on and go to the right input and the DVD player will turn on).

I have not found any info if the PS3 will support this.

Thanks.
post #1097 of 1373 Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post

The PS3 supports 1080p. It does not need an update. It is the TV that likely has an issue. Same thing happened with Samsung TVs about 3 years ago and they released a firmware flash for the TV to fix the issues. Newer TVs since then have not had issues.

But first try a different HDMI cable.

Also are the flashes during movies/games or while it is switching between XMB/game/movies?

Thanks 4 the reply. I just confirmed that it is the tv, because i tried my parents tv (philips 42in) and it works perfectly fine. I also tried different hdmi cables, and it flashes in xmb, games, and movies.
post #1098 of 1373 Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoseskater View Post

Does anyone know if the PS3 supports Bravia Theater Sync via the Control for HDMI function? This is the feature that sony has put into many devices such as TVs and Receivers to allow them to be controlled by one remote (i.e. if you select dvd on the receiver the TV will turn on and go to the right input and the DVD player will turn on).

I have not found any info if the PS3 will support this.

Thanks.

It does not. The feature is based on HDMI-CEC and it has a variety of names across the brands, Bravia Sync, Samsung Anynet and so forth, evevn though its the same thing.
Some say its a hardware thing that needs to be in there and the PS3 came out before that. Some say its a software thing and it can be updated with it. There is no consensus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winko369 View Post

Thanks 4 the reply. I just confirmed that it is the tv, because i tried my parents tv (philips 42in) and it works perfectly fine. I also tried different hdmi cables, and it flashes in xmb, games, and movies.

Glad you figured it out. You can call the TV manufacturer and see what they say, or just return the TV (it seems its a new model). Or you can just use component cables. You can pick up a set of PS2 components for a couple of bucks (they work on the PS3).
post #1099 of 1373 Old 12-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've got my PS3 hooked via HDMI to my Denon 1908. The issue I have is related to audio. I have a 5.1 speaker setup. I get periodic crackling static from the left surround speaker when listening to 5.1 sound. It gets progressively worse. I thought that it was an HDMI cable issue as it seemed to go away when I replaced the cable. But now I'm thinking (after 3 cable swaps) that it may be related to the connection being made either between the the cable and the receirver or the cable and the PS3.

It seems the hdmi cable is poorly designed as it does not make a very tight connection which would lead to this type of problem. Anyone else have a thought on this and/or a possible solution.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #1100 of 1373 Old 12-24-2008, 03:20 PM

Hello

I recently bought PS3 and I am having hard time getting picture with HDMI cabel I have 4 cabels that I have tried on it. My PS3 detect that there is HDMI Cabel but it does not show any picture. I have tried to reset my system holding the power button more then 5s.

My tv model is Samsung LE32S81B

I have tried my PS3 on another tv and it worked on there. I have my Tv connected to my computer with HDMI/DVI cabel and I get picture on it and I have tried dvdplayer that uses HDMI and I get picture there too.

I have followed the guide on Sony website more then once and I have even formatted the PS3 the short and the 5h long one :P

Called both Sony and Samsung and both are telling me that there is nothing wrong with their products. I am using now Component cable but I am not satisfied with the picture have you seen this problem before? My tv and PS3 does not seem to like each other.
post #1101 of 1373 Old 12-24-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronte View Post

Hello

I recently bought PS3 and I am having hard time getting picture with HDMI cabel I have 4 cabels that I have tried on it. My PS3 detect that there is HDMI Cabel but it does not show any picture. I have tried to reset my system holding the power button more then 5s.

My tv model is Samsung LE32S81B

I have tried my PS3 on another tv and it worked on there. I have my Tv connected to my computer with HDMI/DVI cabel and I get picture on it and I have tried dvdplayer that uses HDMI and I get picture there too.

I have followed the guide on Sony website more then once and I have even formatted the PS3 the short and the 5h long one :P

Called both Sony and Samsung and both are telling me that there is nothing wrong with their products. I am using now Component cable but I am not satisfied with the picture have you seen this problem before? My tv and PS3 does not seem to like each other.

It makes me think the HDCP handshake is failing. Since your tv is 720p, the quality between HDMI and Component should be the same. Component can do up to 1080p.

Can you describe what looks poor about the picture?

If you have an option, return the ps3 and try another one to see how it performs. You might also want to try another HDMI player (got a DVD or cable/satellite box w/ HDMI out?) to see if the inputs on the tv work ok or not.

-Splints
post #1102 of 1373 Old 12-25-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:

It makes me think the HDCP handshake is failing. Since your tv is 720p, the quality between HDMI and Component should be the same. Component can do up to 1080p.

Can you describe what looks poor about the picture?

If you have an option, return the ps3 and try another one to see how it performs. You might also want to try another HDMI player (got a DVD or cable/satellite box w/ HDMI out?) to see if the inputs on the tv work ok or not.

-Splints

The picture is not bad but I know that it can be better. I took my ps3 to my friends house and it looked better with HDMI there. I have had the console for a month if I want to return it I need to have a valid reason I need to prove that something is wrong with my PS3. I only have dvdplayer that uses HDMI and my computer and both are working. I will try to borrow my friends PS3 and see if it works with my tv.
Is there a solution for HDCP handshake failing?
post #1103 of 1373 Old 12-25-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The picture is not bad but I know that it can be better. I took my ps3 to my friends house and it looked better with HDMI there. I have had the console for a month if I want to return it I need to have a valid reason I need to prove that something is wrong with my PS3. I only have dvdplayer that uses HDMI and my computer and both are working. I will try to borrow my friends PS3 and see if it works with my tv.

Is your friend's tv 1080p or also a 720p? I've seen 1080p component (game) and it is very hard to tell the difference between HDMI and component at 1080p, so the input shouldn't matter, but you might want to calibrate your tv and verify the right video settings are set for your tv. I think there is a small 720 -> 768 verticial conversion that I wonder might be badly scaling on your tv or not.

The HDCP handshake failure can be sometimes solved by unplugging and replugging the Hdmi connection to restart the handshake. As for returning the ps3, tell the store that you can't get it to work with your tv and everything else is working on your tv. That should allow for a straight-up exchange. Back-up your tv if you have ps3 data stored.

-Splints
post #1104 of 1373 Old 12-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

try this.. 1ST turn on your PS3 by inserting a disc... then turn off your display completely.Then turn on your display..you should see one handshake flicker then your good to go..hope this helps

sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times.. but it works for me everytime

remember turn on the players 1st
post #1105 of 1373 Old 12-25-2008, 07:47 PM

Quick question for you guys my Olevia LCD can display 1081i max. I have heard that I may get a better picture using 720p rather than 1080i is this true? Now if I set my PS3 to display only 720P will that affect my blu-ray settings also. The rumor was setting the ps3 to 720p downscales blu-ray down from 720P. If I am better of keeping the system to 1080i for better blu-ray picture than so be it my main concern is the downgrading for blu-rays movies.

"You can take the New Yorker out of NY, but you'll NEVER EVER take NY out of the New Yorker"
-- XBOX LIVE - CRAYOLA 718 -- PSN - CRAYOLA718 --
post #1106 of 1373 Old 12-26-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed 718 View Post

Quick question for you guys my Olevia LCD can display 1081i max. I have heard that I may get a better picture using 720p rather than 1080i is this true? Now if I set my PS3 to display only 720P will that affect my blu-ray settings also. The rumor was setting the ps3 to 720p downscales blu-ray down from 720P. If I am better of keeping the system to 1080i for better blu-ray picture than so be it my main concern is the downgrading for blu-rays movies.

It really depends on your screen size and how far you sit from your tv. 720p is better for fast moving sequences, and 1080i would look better on frames that have very little movement (movie dialogue sequences). It is true that if you select 720p everything will be shown at 720p at max, but you can always switch that in the video settings if you feel that you want the full resolution possible.

Personally I would recommend you try both on a fast action movie with panning and see what works best. If you have a very good 3:2 pulldown (24fps to 60fps conversion) it may be worth staying at 1080i, but most tv's don't seem to be very good at this without paying for the highest end models of each name brand. Try it out and see what you think visually that would be your best bet.

-Splints
post #1107 of 1373 Old 12-26-2008, 10:47 AM

Hello everyone.

I was hoping to get some help on a few things regarding a new TV that goes great with the PS3.

What's some general advice and what should I look out for (brand, specific features, etc) and what should I avoid?

1080p/i or 720p/i? I know very little about what the numbers mean.

Yeah I'm a big time noob when it comes to all that. I don't watch any TV shows at all, and just prefer to watch DVD's (Blu ray) and play games. (Will get the PS3 very soon, currently have a Wii)

I read somwhere that 27inch isn't the way to go if I wanted to experience the HD or Bluray look of a movie or something like that, only 32 and up. I could have been mistaken also in having read that wrong.

I was also told that CRT is much better than LCD.

The price range I am willing to spend is 600 to 800.

I'd appreciate any advice, thank you.
post #1108 of 1373 Old 12-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Sorry, please disregard my other post, since at the time of that writing, my dad "Surprised" me with the TV (Gift) and brought it over.
post #1109 of 1373 Old 12-26-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:

It really depends on your screen size and how far you sit from your tv. 720p is better for fast moving sequences, and 1080i would look better on frames that have very little movement (movie dialogue sequences). It is true that if you select 720p everything will be shown at 720p at max, but you can always switch that in the video settings if you feel that you want the full resolution possible.

Personally I would recommend you try both on a fast action movie with panning and see what works best. If you have a very good 3:2 pulldown (24fps to 60fps conversion) it may be worth staying at 1080i, but most tv's don't seem to be very good at this without paying for the highest end models of each name brand. Try it out and see what you think visually that would be your best bet.

-Splints

Ok gotcha my main concern is if I select 720p the PS3 downgrades it to 480 or something which is the rumor I heard. The games look better on 720p than 1080i in my opinion but I def want the best output for my blu-rays. I'm gonna upgrade my set to a 46 inch 1080p 120hz samsung in a few days but for me meantime I will test the setting on some disks and see what the results will be. Thanks for the quick reply Splints.................Ed

"You can take the New Yorker out of NY, but you'll NEVER EVER take NY out of the New Yorker"
-- XBOX LIVE - CRAYOLA 718 -- PSN - CRAYOLA718 --
post #1110 of 1373 Old 12-26-2008, 09:16 PM

I wanted to know if I have to buy a pair of different cables so that the quality isn't so terrible on my PS3? I have a Toshiba HDTV LCD 40rv52U 40 inch and when I played a movie everything came out distorted, with choppy frames (It was the Dark Knight). When I tried another DVD, it was the same.

What do I need to do so I can watch it without having these problems? Is it something I have to do with the setting within the TV and PS3? Is it a different pair of cables I have to invest in?
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Westinghouse , Jvc , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page