Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1373 Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMacBlue View Post

So i have 1 HDMI input on my television, yet 2 HDMI devices to be input into the TV (comcast HD and PS3). Do i need an HDMI splitter or switcher? I have no other HDMI devices nor do i plan to get any in the near future. Looking for the best way to input both devices into my TV without having to manually switch the cable between the two devices all the time. Any advice as to a reasonably priced switch/splitter would be appreciated.

Thank you.

This is exactly what I just got on here to ask about. I bought my HDTV yesterday and the Monster Cable PS3 HDMI. On the box for the cable it has this diagram of a reciever with two hdmi ports and cables daisychaining the ps3>reciever>TV. I am about to get digital cable to take advantage of the HD, but now Im not sure if I need to get a specific reciever or what? Anyone got a setup like this yet. I already have my DVD player running Component in and the PS3 via HDMI. The Comcast Digital Cable box I looked at at BB today had DVI out and Component. Any light being shed on this would help out greatly....

Howshmadilly. Put it down..............cham-pion-ship!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1373 Old 11-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone see any quick blast of static when switching resolutions? What about an occasional black out (lasting about 3 seconds)?

Both of these things have occured on occasion and I'm thinking it might be HDMI. I do not believe the PS3 is at fault, however. I was downloading a demo today and stopped back during lunch to try it. I simply turned my TV off (while downloading), but immediately upon powering the TV back on, I got that quick burst of static. The PS3 itself was just sitting there at the "Installation complete" screen, so it's not as if it did anything on its own. Seems like an HDMI issue. The black outs (I've only seen it happen twice) only seem to occur if I've seen that static during a session (occurs when switching resolutions). It doesn't happen often, but it is something I'm curious about.
post #93 of 1373 Old 11-27-2006, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsaal View Post

I have my PS3 connected to my Pioneer PRO-1000HD, which supports all HD resolutions, including 720p, 1080i and 1080p on component inputs, but lacks HDMI. I played a BD version of "Memento" sync'd with the standard DVD version (on a separate DVD player). As I expected (due to HDCP), the PS3 output a 1080i signal over the component cables, whereas my DVD player outputs 480p (progressive upscaling from the 480i source).

BUT.....

My visual impression is that there is NO DIFFERENCE apparent in the images......

I tried two other BDs: Talledega Nights and Blazing Saddles. Blazing Saddles looks fantastic, much enhanced over the DVD I A-B'd with it. Talledega Nights has a lot of very soft, not very high res shots. Memento is grainy and terrible on both discs. So I am convinced that the playback is doing fine to my component 1080i outputs, but the source quality of BDs varies greatly. Caveat Emptor!!!
post #94 of 1373 Old 11-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimparis View Post

Westinghouse LVM-47W1 has the same handshaking problem as some other westy models. About 1/4 of the time, when the PS3 starts up or changes video mode or when the input is selected on the TV, everything works perfectly. But about 3/4 of the time, it doesn't handshake properly and the screen will enter an endless cycle of turning on and off. I've found that a temporary solution is to just switch away from the HDMI input and switch back -- repeat until it works. Turning the TV off and on, or unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable, can fix it too. Once it does initialize properly, it continues to work fine for hours.

This happens on all video modes, although I think it happens more on some modes than others.

I've tried two PS3s, two HDMI cables (different lengths), and two 47w1 TVs, so it's not a hardware or cabling problem.

When I talked to Westinghouse this past weekend they said they'd look into it.
When I talked to Sony they said they had never heard of such a problem.

Westinghouse customer support has been very helpful. Aaron from Westinghouse just called me a few minutes ago. Apparently Sony contacted them to let them know that this is actually a hardware problem with the HDCP chip in some PS3s, and it's not a problem with the monitor. Aaron also said that they've gotten calls from customers who don't see this problem at all with the PS3 and Westinghouse TVs. I haven't talked to Sony yet so I don't know if this is something that could be fixed with a firmware update, or if I'll have to replace the PS3.
post #95 of 1373 Old 11-28-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarduck View Post

Like I posted a few pages ago in this very thread, this is an HDCP handshaking issue and is easily fixed.

All you have to do is hold the power button for 5 seconds when you turn on your PS3 (you'll hear a "beep" to confirm it). Select "Yes" when it asks you if you'd like to output both Video and Audio via HDMI. Then, if you are outputting sound with a regular optical or analog cables, you can go to the sound options under "Audio Settings" and change it to whatever you need. Voila, no more flickering.

This fixes the flickering problem/handshaking issue on this set whether you use an HDMI cable or an HDMI to DVI cable. Keep in mind that DVI 1 on the LVM-37w3 does not support HDCP so you will not get an image at all with this input, you must use the HDMI or DVI 2 input.

i did this with my westinghouse 37" and it actually worked, it doesnt blink when switching from game to menu or vice versa anymore...try it and see if it works for you guys too
post #96 of 1373 Old 11-28-2006, 11:02 AM

Here's my setup:

Panasonic PT-56DLX76

HDMI connection between PS3 and TV. Only thing I notice is when I enter a game from the menu, the screen blanks, sets to one resolution, then resets back to 1080P. Doesn't bother me as the picture is beautiful.

PSN ID: fr0z3n_f1r3

post #97 of 1373 Old 11-28-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Aaron also said that they've gotten calls from customers who don't see this problem at all with the PS3 and Westinghouse TVs.

That's an odd statement for the Westinghouse guy to make.
post #98 of 1373 Old 11-28-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarduck View Post

Like I posted a few pages ago in this very thread, this is an HDCP handshaking issue and is easily fixed.

All you have to do is hold the power button for 5 seconds when you turn on your PS3 (you'll hear a "beep" to confirm it). Select "Yes" when it asks you if you'd like to output both Video and Audio via HDMI. Then, if you are outputting sound with a regular optical or analog cables, you can go to the sound options under "Audio Settings" and change it to whatever you need. Voila, no more flickering.

This fixes the flickering problem/handshaking issue on this set whether you use an HDMI cable or an HDMI to DVI cable. Keep in mind that DVI 1 on the LVM-37w3 does not support HDCP so you will not get an image at all with this input, you must use the HDMI or DVI 2 input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYSEGUY View Post

i did this with my westinghouse 37" and it actually worked, it doesnt blink when switching from game to menu or vice versa anymore...try it and see if it works for you guys too

That made no difference for me. I pressed the power button for 5 seconds, it beeped a second time and then (on the HDMI input) I saw the screen where it asks if I want to output video and audio via HDMI. At that screen and during the following screens, and continuing for as long as HDMI selected, the screen blinks in and out. All that power button trick seems to be is a way to get HDMI working if your TV can't use the composite cables the PS3 comes with.

42w2 btw
post #99 of 1373 Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

No problems with my 52" JVC LCOS going thru monoprice HDMI 5x1 switch.
post #100 of 1373 Old 11-29-2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

Quote:

Aaron also said that they've gotten calls from customers who don't see this problem at all with the PS3 and Westinghouse TVs.

That's an odd statement for the Westinghouse guy to make.

I was unclear -- he said that when customers call with other questions regarding the PS3 and Westy TVs, he asks them if they see the same problem I'm seeing, and people have said no, that aspect is working just fine.

Anyway, I managed to test this on a third PS3 that came from a different store -- still the exact same problem. So I don't know if I believe that this is an isolated hardware problem, unless it's fairly common. I'll talk to Sony tomorrow.
post #101 of 1373 Old 11-29-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't believe that it's uncommon.

This is happening with lots of non HDMI 1.3 devices and the PS3.
post #102 of 1373 Old 11-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have a problem with a Westy 27w1. Without buying a HDMI switcher and DVI adapter, I'm forced to go component in and the tv will not accept the signal at all (1080i).

I'm feeding all my source components into a VP50 and going out HDMI to my projctor (Z4) and taking the component out (VP50) to the Westy. The TV is supposed to handle 720p but will not accept it from the VP50 via component, wonder if the Westy needs DVI to display 720p. I have to set the output to 1080i from the VP50. Luckily I had component cables from my PS2 and it works (PS3) on both systems. Just unfortunate that I can't run HDMI. Would be nice if I can switch the PS3 on the fly, run HDMI on pj and component on TV without manually switching. Oh well, mabe in the future when they fix the 1080i issue I'll be alble to run just HDMI.

On a side note. Last night was my first experience with the PS3. So far, I'm underwhelmed...
post #103 of 1373 Old 11-29-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Aaron from Westinghouse just called me a few minutes ago. Apparently Sony contacted them to let them know that this is actually a hardware problem with the HDCP chip in some PS3s, and it's not a problem with the monitor ... I haven't talked to Sony yet so I don't know if this is something that could be fixed with a firmware update, or if I'll have to replace the PS3.

Just talked to Sony. After half an hour with the first level tech, I eventually got a supervisor on the line who basically said they haven't heard any acknowledgement of this problem and they haven't heard of any hardware issues on the PS3, and that there was nobody else I could talk to to get more information. Useless.
post #104 of 1373 Old 11-29-2006, 05:54 PM

Yesterday I downloaded the new v1.11 firmware for the PS3 and tried using HDMI again on my Westy LVM-37W3. What I found is that when changing resolutions now I am only getting one re-sync instead of a continual constant re-sync like before.

Have others who were having problems with their Westy's see similar results after downloading the new update?
post #105 of 1373 Old 11-29-2006, 08:05 PM

I've got PS3 displaying 1080p through HDMI on my HP DLP. So far I've watched 2 BD movies as well as some 1080p trailers. During both movies (and twice during trailers), the image has gone out for about 3-5 seconds. This has happened just 1 time during each movie (Silent Hill and TN). It appears that the HDMI signal is losing its connection for some reason. I'm using the $7 HDMI cables from Monoprice. The connectiona to the PS3 and the TV are secure. My PS3 is currently connected to HDMI input 1. I haven't tried switching to input 2 as I feel that won't make a difference. Anyone else experience this? Is it possible I have a bad cable? Thanks for any input. Also note I haven't experienced this with any games, demos, or the XMB (also running in 1080p).
post #106 of 1373 Old 11-29-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLatency View Post

Have others who were having problems with their Westy's see similar results after downloading the new update?

Nope, the 1.11 didn't help me.

But: I got a HDMI to DVI adapter, put it on DVI2, and now my LVM-47w1 works fine! No re-syncs at all. I hadn't tried that before because the guys at Westinghouse agreed that it shouldn't make a difference.

The factory default brightness levels seem off compared to the HDMI input, but that's easily adjustable. Of course, there's no more digital audio with this connection, but at least the video works correctly!
post #107 of 1373 Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 PM

Ok so far my SONY 46XBR2 works just great, i love it !

although i have another problem, the 46" is the main living room tv, i need another tv set which is able to go 1080p and which works good with the ps3, and has decent PQ.
Does anyone know of anything between 1500-2000 dollars? in the 37-42" range?
post #108 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope, the 1.11 didn't help me.

But: I got a HDMI to DVI adapter, put it on DVI2, and now my LVM-47w1 works fine! No re-syncs at all. I hadn't tried that before because the guys at Westinghouse agreed that it shouldn't make a difference.

The factory default brightness levels seem off compared to the HDMI input, but that's easily adjustable. Of course, there's no more digital audio with this connection, but at least the video works correctly!

you can't run an optical cable for audio, jim?

Just say no to cable.
post #109 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 06:46 AM

So does the PS3 HDMI v1.3 interface work with older versions such as 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 ?

As I understood HDMI v1.3 was supposed to be backwards compatable. The main difference as I understood it, was that they improved the audio sampling or something, but if you are using the HDMI for video only and are using optical out for audio it shouldn't matter right?

I have a Viewsonic N3260w and I can't tell what version of HDMI it has?
post #110 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 09:37 AM

I've been having the same problem many of you have.

While watching a blueray of Mission Impossible the picture went green as if I was looking through night vision gogles. A few moments later it was ok. Then the picture went completely black. Again after a few moments it came back. Turning the TV on and off solves the problem.

I tried pressing the power button for 5 seconds and auto-config but even after I did that it's still having the same problems.

Sony is replacing my unit, but I have a feeling I will be running into the same issue.
post #111 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 09:59 AM

What kind of cable do you have? Have you tried changing it?
post #112 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto View Post

you can't run an optical cable for audio, jim?

I'm just using the TV speakers and it has no optical input. When I get my sound system all hooked up then yeah, I can use optical.
post #113 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 10:58 AM

I just bought a Samsung LNS3251D as well as an HDMI cable from monoprice, which I hear are very reliable.

I received the cable last night and set everything up. Picture displayed correctly, sound was great, etc.

However, upon booting up the Motorstorm demo, the screen turns to fuzz and I hear a crackling noise from the speakers for 2-5 seconds before the game boots up like normal and everything displays perfectly. The same things happens for Resistance as well. Watching downloaded videos, however, goes without a single hitch.

Other message boards tell me this is a normal issue with some TVs and I know people with the same TV as me who do have the same problem, but I also know people who do not have any issues at all.

Basically, I just want a little more reassurance that there is nothing wrong with my system, TV, or cable. Also, is there a way to improve this issue?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
post #114 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer970 View Post

Samsung HLR6168 is working great with HDMI. Blu-ray 1080i looks great (Tears of the Sun). Resistance looks great at 720p. Audio separate through digital audio to receiver. Sounds great!

Samsung HLR-6178 works great too! This is basically the same TV as the 6168.

For those interested, 1080p doesn't work via HDMI or Component inputs... but it isn't supposed to on this TV.

-KLH
Ken H*rrigan
post #115 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth33 View Post

So does the PS3 HDMI v1.3 interface work with older versions such as 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 ?

It is supposed to be backwards compatible. On my Samsung 6178 (HDMI v1.0), picture is great at 720p or 1080i - the TV doesn't support 1080p.

-KLH
Ken H*rrigan
post #116 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYSEGUY View Post

i have the same tv as u..fubarduck recommended to hold ps button for 5 second while ps3 is turning itself on...or after it is on...hold it for 5 seconds?

im lil confuse on instruction...cuz i usually turn on my ps3 by pressing the ps button for 1 sec and let go. in his instructions, does he mean instead of letting it go after 1 sec, just keep holding for 5 sec until u see the screen where it asks u if u want video and audio to go to hdmi?
post #117 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 04:31 PM

I have the 50 inch HP model what you have to do is power off the PS3 hookup the hdmi cables to the tv and the console... Hold the power button down on the front of the console until you here two beeps and then the console will reset your console to display at your tv's max resolution.
post #118 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 04:41 PM

fabarg: and by doing this...it resolves the "flickering" problem?
post #119 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharrigan View Post

It is supposed to be backwards compatible. On my Samsung 6178 (HDMI v1.0), picture is great at 720p or 1080i - the TV doesn't support 1080p.

-KLH
Ken H*rrigan

Thanks for the excellent news with it working with HDMI 1.0. I feel more confident now that the PS3 should work with my HDMI input. Are you running optical out for your sound?
post #120 of 1373 Old 11-30-2006, 06:19 PM

Ok I just try the method of holding the ps button 5 seconds. Then it asks me if I want to output my video and audio thru hdmi. When I was at this screen, my tv aleady flicker. Finish the whole process. Watch and play some game and movie download and my tv flicker once again. Now WSYEGUY said this method fix his problem. He has the same exact tv as me.

So with the facts.. I think the problem has nothing to do with the ps3 or HDCP, but it may have to do with the hdmi cable that I'm using from cheap ass monoprice website. My bro order another cheap hdmi cable from other website. So when we get that hdmi cable. I'm gonna use it and see if this will fix the problem.

So I dunno.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Westinghouse , Jvc , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page