Forum Jump: 

post #1291 of 1373 Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnjrusso View Post

I have a Sony KDSR60XBR1 that outputs in 1080i, not p. When I hook up the PS3 thru HDMI cable, nothing happens. Screen stays black in Video 7 (which is where the HDMI cable is plugged). I can hook up the PS3 with the red, white, yellow cables it comes with.

Called Sony and they told me that I cannot hook up PS3 into the 1080i, that I have to purchase a 1080p TV because Blu Ray does not work in 1080i TV's. However, I have read that people are able to do it.

I know the cable works and I know the HDMI port works. Currenty have DVR set up with HDMI.

By the way, it's my brother's PS3 that works fine in his 1080p TV. Also, I have rebooted the PS3 to get the regular cable to work. I just can't get the HDMI cable to work.

Does anyone know what I have to set in my TV and what I need to set in the PS3 to get it to work?

You got bad information from Sony because that is entirely incorrect. Blu-ray works on 1080i TVs. All of them.

The default video setting on the PS3 slim should automatically select the 1080i signal for your 60XBR1 as it does for my 50XBR1. If it's on "Auto," even if you choose 1080p, it should revert to 1080i after 30 seconds...kind of like a computer monitor sometimes does when it's "out of range."

The only think I can think of is perhaps this PS3 was previously connected to a 1080p set (your brother's??) and MANUALLY set to 1080p. If so, take it back over to his house, hook it up to his TV, and set it to back to "automatic" or 1080i.

Then call the fool you talked to at Sony and tell him he isn't qualified to answer the phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1373 Old 03-17-2010, 05:09 AM

Did you try a better cable? That is wha tthis thread is about. The PS3 Slim has a very touchy HDMI interface and requires a good quality gold plated HDMI cable to work properly. You can also go into your PS3 video settings and adjust it to whatever resolution you think you can use, but Auto works fine if the cable it good.
There are other reasons that you could have trouble with HDMI, but try the cable first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbeme View Post

You got bad information from Sony because that is entirely incorrect. Blu-ray works on 1080i TVs. All of them.

The default video setting on the PS3 slim should automatically select the 1080i signal for your 60XBR1 as it does for my 50XBR1. If it's on "Auto," even if you choose 1080p, it should revert to 1080i after 30 seconds...kind of like a computer monitor sometimes does when it's "out of range."

The only think I can think of is perhaps this PS3 was previously connected to a 1080p set (your brother's??) and MANUALLY set to 1080p. If so, take it back over to his house, hook it up to his TV, and set it to back to "automatic" or 1080i.

Then call the fool you talked to at Sony and tell him he isn't qualified to answer the phone.

I love a good gadget.
post #1293 of 1373 Old 03-17-2010, 06:56 PM

post #1294 of 1373 Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 PM

ok peeps, this week has been a crappy week for my ps3 .....mind you its a 40gb ....so its one of the older ones...... now my issue is this....i baught a hdtv last weekend and a hdmi cable with it, now all went well until about Wednesday i come home and couldnt get any display in HDMI mode. i did the whole holding down and waiting for the second beep to reset the settings.....went in the settings.....and still nothing...... i also notice that the resolution for the hdmi mode has changed to 720x480p...it should be ****x720p

anybody else had this prob? .....

oh i got a new hdmi cable and still nothing
post #1295 of 1373 Old 03-18-2010, 05:06 PM

i did a quick search and didn't really come up with any definitive solutions.

I was wondering how people were able to hook up their PS3 to a projector that only allowed for VGA?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
post #1296 of 1373 Old 03-19-2010, 03:43 AM

Thanks! You guys were right - it was my cable. I tried a short HDMI cable and the Slim worked perfectly in 1080P. I ordered a better quality, certified 30 ft cable. Thanks again!
post #1297 of 1373 Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 AM

I just received my new Certified 24k gold plated 30 ft HDMI cable and plugged it into my PS3 and projector and now it lets me get 1080P when before I could only get 1080i/720P with a cheaper cable. However, the picture goes black for a few seconds then comes back on again and this keeps cycling like this. Is this a cable problem again? Bought the cable from ebay, listed as-
Ultra Premium 30 FT HDMI Gold Cable PS3 HDTV 1.3 1080P
post #1298 of 1373 Old 03-23-2010, 03:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh55 View Post

..However, the picture goes black for a few seconds then comes back on again and this keeps cycling like this. Is this a cable problem again?..

Based on your success with a shorter cable I would have to say yes. I can't speak for the mfg of your cable but I can attest to the quality of Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable. Keep in mind however that 22AWG (wire guage) is very thick and very hard to bend. 24AWG is a little better, and 28AWG is no trouble at all. I use the latter for 1080p/30ft. I didn't see any 30ft 28AWG models at Monoprice but depending on your cable route bending may not be an issue. If tight bends are only a problem near the devices then you could use an 8 inch 28AWG port saver cable. Note: the heavier the wire guage the easier it is drive over long distances due to lower resistance.
You could also look around for active extension cables in the 30-35 foot range. Keep in mind they are powered by the player and the EQ is at the far end by the display. So, underpowered devices like Sony's BD carousel player need not apply. The same goes for add-on devices like a "HDMI Active Equalizer Extender Repeater" which is just the EQ module you add to your existing cable. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
http://bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi...hdmi-cable.htm
-Regards
Edit: I looked up my old Monoprice order and found out I'm using the 25 foot cable to the pj:
HDMI Tin-Plated Copper CL2 Rated (For In-Wall Installation) Cable (26AWG) - 25ft (Gold Plated Connectors)

There's room for ALL of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!
post #1299 of 1373 Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydoodie View Post

i did a quick search and didn't really come up with any definitive solutions.

I was wondering how people were able to hook up their PS3 to a projector that only allowed for VGA?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...+vga+converter
A converter would work to some degree. Meaning that due to HDCP restrictions you're not going to get Blu Ray movies in high definition. Non protected content shouldn't be problem however.
-Regards

post #1300 of 1373 Old 03-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but do I need a optical audio cable if I use HDMI?

Which connection will provide me better audio quality? I just ordered a optical cable off Amazon and now I am questioning the purchase.
post #1301 of 1373 Old 03-29-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ediri View Post

...but do I need a optical audio cable if I use HDMI?...Which connection will provide me better audio quality?.

Hi Ediri, generally HDMI would provide better quality and more audio formats vs the older digital format via optical/coax cables. We could probably offer better assistance if we knew what equipment you were using.
In short, HDMI will carry video, multi channel audio, and a control signal (CEC) for powering on/off attached equipment.
-Regards

post #1302 of 1373 Old 04-13-2010, 02:30 PM

I hope you guys can help me out. I just bought a Sony KDL-46EX700 HDTV and I've connected my PS3 up to it via an HDMI cable. However, when I let it "Auto" select the optimal display settings, it defaults to 480p. When I "Custom" select 1080p, the screen loses signal for 30 seconds and returns to the previous screen indicating 1080p is not a correct mode for my TV. It has no problem accepting 720p and 1080i as display settings, but it is rejecting 1080p. This TV is brand new and has full 1080p and is an LED-LCD TV, so I can't imagine my new Sony HDTV can't connect properly with my Sony PS3. Please advise if any of you have encountered this problem with this model TV or similar Sony TVs, or if it could be a problem with my PS3 or HDMI cable. I am praying there isn't a problem with my TV.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
post #1303 of 1373 Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 AM

I'm having some issues with the HDMI cutting out - It's been fine for 2 years but in the last 2 months or so I've found it occassionally cuts out, even being fine for a number of weeks in between - it starts with a degrading picture quality before going to a black screen with occassional audio input. Usually it comes back after 5-10 minutes. I've changed the HDMI cable and am still having the same problem. I only have one HDMI slot so I can't try it in another and as it's pretty intermittent it would be difficult to test it on another TV (if I can even get my hands on one).

Any ideas if it's likely to be the TV or the PS3s HDMI port? I can see I'm probably going to have to replace one to fix this but I don't know which, both are 2 years old.
post #1304 of 1373 Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 PM

This is my set up:
Cable box and PS3 connected to onkyo tx-sr876 going to a samsung lcd-led and a dynex lcd. I'm using a monoprice hdmi splitter.

My problem is the PS3 will not play on both tv's simultaneously. What can I do in order to have the ps3 play on both? Also if I decided to not use a splitter and use a switcher is there a switcher which would allow me to play cable on one tv and the PS3 on the other, then switch to cable on both tv's or ps3 on both tv's without having to change around wires?
post #1305 of 1373 Old 06-16-2010, 03:50 AM

Clasik10,
1) What resolution are you outputting from the PS3?
2) Which TV is plugged into port 1 of the splitter (port 1 usually supports DDC/EDID info)?
3) What is the max input resolution supported by each TV?
-----------
The multi input/multi output switch you asked about is called a matrix switch.

post #1306 of 1373 Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward216 View Post

Clasik10,
1) What resolution are you outputting from the PS3?
2) Which TV is plugged into port 1 of the splitter (port 1 usually supports DDC/EDID info)?
3) What is the max input resolution supported by each TV?
-----------
The multi input/multi output switch you asked about is called a matrix switch.

1) My video settings are 1080P from the PS3
2) The tv on a 3' HDMI cable is plugged into port 1
3) both tv's are 1080p

I'll go read about the matrix switch. Thanks for you assistance.
post #1307 of 1373 Old 06-21-2010, 03:04 PM
PC.

Hi all.

I bought a new TV yesterday (42" Panasonic G25) to replace the aging Viewsonic LCD I've been using for the past 4 years and am now having trouble with the HDMI connectivity of the Panny.

System consists of Yamaha RX-V465, PS3 (hdmi), HD cablebox (hdmi) and xbox 360 (component). All go into the Yamaha and then to the TV via HDMI and component cables.

The PS3 menu loads fine, but often times the signal drops when I try to play a bluray disc. Sound is there, just no picture. I've bypassed the receiver and connected the PS3 directly to the TV and both cables (one from PS3 to receiver as well as one from receiver to TV) worked fine. Both display in 1080P with sound perfectly per checking the TV's info button.

Is it possible the receiver is degrading the quality of the signal just enough to cause this problem? Or have I isolated the problem to my receiver?

I find it strange that everything has worked perfect for years and changing only the TV brought this problem to life. What a pain!
post #1308 of 1373 Old 06-22-2010, 03:39 AM

Hi PC,
My gut response would be that this is related to blu ray media somehow. Given that the audio continues to work and only the video drops out I don't think it's necesarily an HDCP problem and video degradation (data drop outs or bandwidth restrictions) usually exhibit itself as snow. Here's what I would try:
1) Check the Panny site and see if there's new firmware.
2) Verify that all your PS3 BD settings are vanilla; as in don't use deep color, or the expanded full HDMI black range option, etc.
if #2 fails to sove it then try #3.
3) Move the HDMI cable from behind the TV to the side/front port. Often times connect issues are isolated to the multi input pc board on the rear of the TV. If you drop video on this new port, try and hot plug the cable while the outage in progress and see if that fixes it by forcing the PS3 to perform a handshake with the TV. If the side/front port change solves the problem then you may be able to use an inexpensive 2 port HDMI splitter on the output of your AV receiver and still use the rear port on the TV.

-Regards,
Ward

post #1309 of 1373 Old 06-22-2010, 03:40 PM
PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward216 View Post

Hi PC,
My gut response would be that this is related to blu ray media somehow. Given that the audio continues to work and only the video drops out I don't think it's necesarily an HDCP problem and video degradation (data drop outs or bandwidth restrictions) usually exhibit itself as snow.

Thanks for the response!

I've recently discovered its not bluray specific as it dropped out trying to start a PS3 game earlier. And I do seeing snow for a few seconds after dropout but before the TV reverts to the generic black screen showing which input is currently chosen. I assume this is a built in functionality of the TV whenever its not getting a proper signal otherwise I believe it would show constant snow.

I went ahead and ordered 2 new cables today from monoprice (4' high speed, gold plated) to test with. From what I've read it sounds like the cables are able to deliver enough strength directly to the TV, but not enough when ran through a receiver first. I'll find out in a few days and report back.
post #1310 of 1373 Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 PM

I've had a chance to test 2 different TVs, a Toshiba Regza LCD (42in) and a Samsung Plasma (50in) [pn50b550] with various brand HDMI cables and 2 different game systems. Testing the Xbox 360, both TVs work fine with any old 6 foot HDMI cable connecting them. The PS3 however works fine with any HDMI cable and the Toshiba, but the Samsung has issues.

I've tried the HDMI cable that comes with the Xbox 360 on the Samsung with the PS3 to have failing color saturation, causing poor picture quality in games and videos on the PS3. Then I tried an off brand HDMI cable I purchased from elsewhere that works fine with the Xbox 360, but has a high glitch rate with the PS3 and Samsung. The glitches that occur are intermittent flickers of signal loss at random intervals. I eventually bought a higher quality HDMI cable, gold plated, that seemed to fix the Samsung/PS3 HDMI problem, but it came back recently at less frequent, but random intervals.

If any HDMI cable works with the PS3 and Toshiba LCD TV, while fails on the Samsung Plasma, it could be a compatibility issue with the PS3 or faulty HDMI ports on the TV. Yet, the Xbox 360 handles HDMI well without any glitches or loss of quality. Odd?

I tried the 4 different HDMI ports on the Samsung with the same results, intermittent glitches and quality loss. Toshiba works fine using HDMI with both systems on any cable thrown at it.
post #1311 of 1373 Old 06-25-2010, 03:34 AM

Hi,
Given this quote and not knowing what cable length, resolution & HDMI output options were used; I would think it was the cable.
Do you plug/unplug consoles on a regular basis in order to move them from room to room? I do, and I can tell you a decent Monoprice cable lasts a lot longer than the generic junk I find locally. I'm on my 4th year now with the same cables. Given the price, I would order a few of the 28 guage cables. That would at least remove the question of cable problems.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAARLINGTON View Post

I eventually bought a higher quality HDMI cable, gold plated, that seemed to fix the Samsung/PS3 HDMI problem, but it came back recently at less frequent, but random intervals......I tried the 4 different HDMI ports on the Samsung with the same results, intermittent glitches and quality loss.

post #1312 of 1373 Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am using monoprice hdmi as well with my PS3 slim,no issues at all
post #1313 of 1373 Old 07-06-2010, 03:58 PM

PS3 slim

Samsung LN52A650

Logitech Z-5450 speakers.

PS3 connects to TV via HDMI and to speakers via optical cable.

Works flawlessly.
post #1314 of 1373 Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 PM

hey everyone, I have a problem with my HDMI connection as well. I have done some reading, but I havent found a real answer. So I got my ps3 about a week ago and used normal av cables, and there was no issue. I purchased a 30ft 1.4 hdmi cable from ebay ($10), and ran it through the walls to the tv (phillips 1080i). Now I get the "snow" anytime there is a black background. Also the picture cuts out every few minutes to a fuzzy black and white, then green, then back to normal in a few seconds. This is becoming more and more annoying everytime I play. Should I try a monoprice cable? They have a 30ft, but its standard speed, I dont know if I need high speed or not. Has anyone fixed this issue by changing their cable? Thanks!

I tried using different HDMI ports on the TV, and holding the power button down on the ps3, and tried different display settings on the ps3.
post #1315 of 1373 Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
are you going straight from PS3 to TV or is there a receiver in the middle?
post #1316 of 1373 Old 07-21-2010, 01:47 PM

The HDMI cable goes straight from ps3 to TV.
post #1317 of 1373 Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 PM

So I borrowed a 6ft vizio hdmi cable and it works fine now. Has anyone tried the monoprice 30ft standard speed cable? Or do I need a high speed? I emailed monoprice and asked, but I didnt really get an answer. Can I use standard speed over that long distance? Please help.
post #1318 of 1373 Old 07-26-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn21 View Post

...I dont know if I need high speed or not...

High speed is for 3D and for 2K displays. You'll be fine with standard speed cabling.

post #1319 of 1373 Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I don't have an issue with PS3 Slim connected by hdmi cable to an AVR (supports 3d) then by hdmi cable to a 3dtv. The 3dtv replaced an ordinary 2d tv, and I just unplugged the hdmi cable from the old tv and plugged it into the new 3dtv. When I turned the PS3 on, within a few seconds the tv screen blanked, then the PS3 put up a message asking me to confirm that I had a 3d tv connected, then a message asking me to confirm that it was a 58" (which it was). And that was all there was to it. I downloaded a couple of 3d demos to try out --- they work great. I didn't expect it to be that easy.

My AVR is a Pioneer vsx-1020-k, and the 3dtv is a Samsung pn58c8000. I'm sorry that I don't remember where the hdmi cables came from -- quite possibly Monoprice -- or what type they are. They're short. The PS3 was running whatever firmware was current as of July 14 -- perhaps v. 3.20?

Greg Lee
post #1320 of 1373 Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 AM

I have a PS3 Slim connected directly to a Panasonic TC-P54G25 with a Monoprice 28 AWG Premium High Speed HDMI cable. I see "white speckles" in dark backgrounds unless I disable "Deep Color Support."

Monoprice has suggested I try using their 24 AWG HDMI cables; they have authorized RMA for the 28 AWG cable. I have read many people using the 28 AWG cables with PS3 and working fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

~Mor
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Westinghouse , Jvc , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page