Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1373 Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi rmhamilton, how long is the HDMI cable from receiver to tv?

I have a 20ft cable running from the tv, under house, and up through a closet to the receiver. My Comcast cable box is running through the receiver to the tv and I have no problems there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1373 Old 11-09-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhamilton View Post

I have a 20ft cable running from the tv, under house, and up through a closet to the receiver. My Comcast cable box is running through the receiver to the tv and I have no problems there.

If you haven't yet, try connecting PS3 to one of the other three HDMI ports.
post #1353 of 1373 Old 11-09-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
If you haven't yet, try connecting PS3 to one of the other three HDMI ports.
I tried all other available ports (including the port that the cable box works perfectly through) to no avail; additionally, I connected the 20ft HDMI directly to the PS3 and it works fine. I've read reviews on the receiver and havent seen anything negative concerning PS3 connection, so I'm really stumped.

BTW, thanks for your help JChin!
post #1354 of 1373 Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
I tried all other available ports (including the port that the cable box works perfectly through) to no avail; additionally, I connected the 20ft HDMI directly to the PS3 and it works fine. I've read reviews on the receiver and havent seen anything negative concerning PS3 connection, so I'm really stumped.

BTW, thanks for your help JChin!
Hmm, here are a few more suggestion to try.

- replace with a different HDMI cable from PS3 to receiver
- turn off "Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI) " under Display Settings
- or turn off "BD 1080p 24Hz Output (HDMI)" under Video Settings
post #1355 of 1373 Old 11-17-2010, 04:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I tried all other available ports...I'm really stumped.

Any luck so far? My money is on the short patch cable to connect the PS3 to the Denon. http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Page...b-28d0d1cf71f9

There's room for ALL of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!
post #1356 of 1373 Old 11-20-2010, 09:27 PM

post #1357 of 1373 Old 11-28-2010, 10:48 PM

I made a thread but nobody replied. Can anyone help me??

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1291196
post #1358 of 1373 Old 11-30-2010, 05:03 AM

Hi all.
I've recently bought a PS3 (slim) and I'm experimenting problems connecting it via HDMI with my A/V receiver:
Screen flickering (and even black screen) (but sound seems to be ok), when PS3 is attached to the A/V receiver (ONKYO TX-SR508) via HDMI, but working OK if it is conected directly (same cable) to my Bravia EX500. I tried with 2 different HDMI 1.3a cables (1.8 and 5m) and everything is exactly the same. Both cables works perfectly with my WDlxTV.
By now, the PS3 is working with firmware 3.40 and, as I could find, no one of the firmware updates by SONY fix any bug related with the HDMI.
Does anybody have any idea? Should I update my PS3 to fw 3.50 (loosing the jailbreak option by the moment)? Have you find any option (Deep colour, HDMI control...) which is interacting the HDMI handshake and causing the problem?.
Thanks you all in advance.
post #1359 of 1373 Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 AM

Solved.
It seems to be related with the Deep colour settings in the PS3.
Finally, it is working!!!.
I started from scratch, using a HDMI 1.4 cable;
BD/DVD HDMI port (nº1) instead of VCR/DVR (nº2); only the PS3 attached to the A/V receiver; everything disconected from the power source for a while and pressing the PS3' start button for 5sec till the second beep sounded (this reset the HDMI settings on the PS3 side).
Starting from the most conservative settings (NO HDMI control, no
superwhite... NO everything...), the flickering issue comes back only when
the Deep colour settings on the PS3 is turned on
Now I can breathe again!. Fortunately there is no need to deal with
ONKYO/SONY customer support.
I hope it will be helpfull. Thanks and good luck.
post #1360 of 1373 Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 PM

I came here looking for answers with the exact problem I'm having on my new 160gb PS3 Slim connected via HDMI to my Onkyo S3300. I will try your solution to see if the handshake problem is resolved. Can you tell me all of your settings?

I have RGB set at Limited, HDMI set at ycbcr, superwhite on, deep color on, bitstream audio. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixtandantilux View Post

Hi all.
I've recently bought a PS3 (slim) and I'm experimenting problems connecting it via HDMI with my A/V receiver:
Screen flickering (and even black screen) (but sound seems to be ok), when PS3 is attached to the A/V receiver (ONKYO TX-SR508) via HDMI, but working OK if it is conected directly (same cable) to my Bravia EX500. I tried with 2 different HDMI 1.3a cables (1.8 and 5m) and everything is exactly the same. Both cables works perfectly with my WDlxTV.
By now, the PS3 is working with firmware 3.40 and, as I could find, no one of the firmware updates by SONY fix any bug related with the HDMI.
Does anybody have any idea? Should I update my PS3 to fw 3.50 (loosing the jailbreak option by the moment)? Have you find any option (Deep colour, HDMI control...) which is interacting the HDMI handshake and causing the problem?.
Thanks you all in advance.

post #1361 of 1373 Old 12-02-2010, 02:21 AM

Good Luck investor27.
Try setting the deep color OFF.
HDMI (RGB or Y/Cb/Cr) is Auto.
Superwhite is ON
1080p/24Hz is ON
50Hz video output is 50Hz (remember, this is Europe)
HDMI control is ON
RGB full range is ON

I hope it works for you.

I realize my WD TV Live has the same issue when I set 12 bits HDMI instead 8bits. I supose this could be the same as the "deep color" option in the PS3, so both issues seem to be consistent.
post #1362 of 1373 Old 12-02-2010, 11:02 AM

That seems to work. Thanks, Buddy. Here are my settings:

Deep Color OFF
Cross Color Reduction Filter OFF
HDMI (RGB or Y/Cb/Cr) is Auto.
Superwhite is ON
1080p/24Hz is Auto
BD/DVD Upscaler Normal
PS Upscaler Normal
PS Smoothing OFF
BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control ON
BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) Bitstream
HDMI control is OFF
RGB full range is Limited

I'm not sure if all of these are correct, so please feel free to give any recommendations that I should change to instead you guys. Thanks.
post #1363 of 1373 Old 12-02-2010, 11:36 AM

If it works, it is correct ;P
Anyway, you could maybe "improve" it if you set ON "PS smoothing" and HDMI control, as well as RGB full range. The first one should enhance only your PS graphics, while the RGB settings will be applied to all the system. HDMI control is really useful if you have a compatible system:
I press the PS button in my Sixaxis-> PS3 power on->PS3 sends the power on command to my TV-> My TV sends the power on command to the ONKYO A/V-> My TV detects there is a A/V active, so it mutes the small TV speakers and the ONKYO SR-508 takes control! Just one click and all the system up and ready!
Besides that: If I shut down the TV, the ONKYO shuts down...(I don't remember if the PS3 does..., but, if I shut down the PS3, the rest of the system remains active.)
Bye and enjoy.
post #1364 of 1373 Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Finally I found someone with a similar-sounding problem! I have spent hours searching the forum for Onkyo HDMI/video issues, and none of the posts were closely related to my issue...until now.

I returned my second TX-NR3008 for an exchange, again, which will hopefully arrive in a day or two. The following is the story of the aforementioned second unit that is now on its way back.

If I was using my PS3 (using the BD/DVD HDMI input on the back of the Onkyo) to watch a movie, regardless of the format, when trying to quit to the PS3 home screen you select quit and the screen goes black. The problem is that the screen stays black, rather than losing the picture momentarily while the PS3 loads the home screen. Once this happens you cannot regain a signal until you power cycle the Onkyo receiver. I tried every combination possible between cycling the display only, receiver, PS3, and only by power cycling the Onkyo NR3008 could you get the receiver to grab the HDMI signal again.

This also happens if you were to load Netflix on the PS3. Launch Netflix, screen goes black while it begins to load Netflix, but instead of then displaying the Netflix loading screen it once again forgets how to find a signal over HDMI. Once again, turn receiver off and back on, and there is the PS3 Netflix menu with recommendations, instant queue, and so on. I should also add that the OSD setup menu for the Onkyo does not display 95% of the time when watching an input, whether it be Xbox360, PS3, BDP, or a cable/sat box. I say 95% because for some inane reason the OSD setup menu would come up on screen if you had just performed an Onkyo factory reset, but subsequently would not show itself after properly displaying once or twice. No I did not make ANY changes whatsoever to the receiver after the factory resets, which would have explained why it worked after a fresh reset but not thereafter. It just inexplicably stopped displaying on its own accord.

In addition, if you attempted to switch your HDMI input source, from say the black screen after losing your signal to your PS3, to a BDP, Xbox, cable/sat box, 80% of the time it would also give you nothing but a black screen. The other 20% of the time it would display video if you let it sit on the newly selected HDMI source for anywhere from half a minute, to four minutes. I should take a moment to mention that recalling from my memory, almost all of the instances when the receiver would lose video, it would however manage to regain an audio signal over the HDMI connection while still giving no video. I do not believe this is an issue with my attached devices, as they worked with my first Onkyo TX-NR3008 for four solid weeks (which I will post about in a different Onkyo thread, as it does not pertain specifically to the PS3 with the Onkyo). Nevertheless I have tried using different HDMI cables, including purchasing three new ones to reduce the chance of purchasing one new cable to test, and having a DOA cable skew my investigation. I tested the receiver with one device, all devices, some devices, PS3 in another HDMI input, more factory resets than I can count to isolate the variables as I made changes, and different cables. The devices all work when video is direct to the display, and audio to the receiver via optical, so I knew it was the receiver, but I was hoping it was some silly thing I could fix. The firmware was also current.

I suppose I was just delaying the inevitable second return. Feeling very defeated after two Onkyo 3008's, with more hours than I care to count spent configuring both to my setup, only to have both destroy my time spent configuring them for my room. The second unit may have been defective on arrival, but my first 3008 worked swimmingly for four weeks, and that was more than enough for me to fall in love with the Onkyo's otherwise excellent qualities. As such I am giving it one final go, and hoping the third new 3008 will be the charm. Just know that if you are reading this, and you are having similar/the same issues with your Onkyo 3008/5008's HDMI video, YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
post #1365 of 1373 Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 AM

It would be helpful to have a quick list made of popular hdmi switch boxes that do and don't work with the ps3. I just tried the radio shack house brand, Auvio, and it passes NOTHING from the ps3, letterboxes my hd cable channels un-necessarily, and slightly worsens my Apple TV's picture.

But getting back to the PS3, I've heard that the RocketFish brand doesn't work with it, either.

I'm looking for an HDMI switcher that works with at least mostly everything, because I have three devices and only two HDMI ports.
post #1366 of 1373 Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 AM

mediaseth - you may want to check out Monoprice. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #1367 of 1373 Old 10-23-2011, 01:20 AM

I have a PS3 Slim that is setup with HDMI->DVI connection to a Pioneer 5070 plasma display. It has worked great for BDs at 1080i/p and DVDs as well. I recently bought a PS3 Game that plays at 720p (ModNation Racers). HOWEVER, the display for this game does not work properly - the screen turns GREEN as the game starts and most of the visuals of the game retain a green color (up to 80% of the images on the screen). Tried playing the game for some time, but the green color remains.

Have tried changing the PS3 Video Settings, but not been able to fix the problem so far. Would really appreciate some help in resolving this issue - my 7 year old son is giving me a tough time since his game is not working !

Thanks in advance.
post #1368 of 1373 Old 02-16-2012, 01:23 AM

Hi I have my ps3 hooked up to a lg 47lk450 and it will flicker black as well as make a snowy noise sometimes randomly. And will even lose signal sometimes. My hdmi is fine I had it hooked up to my Panasonic plasma before I hooked it up to this tv with no issues. I had deep color on could this also affect my situation?
post #1369 of 1373 Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM

Try turning off deep color and see if that helps. If it doesn't, try the side HDMI input on your tv. You can search back in this thread for more info on deep color problems. Granted, it hasn't been a problem in some time; & I don't know what year your tv is or if your ps3 is up to date on firmware.

There's room for ALL of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!
post #1370 of 1373 Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 AM

Hi, I am planing on buying 27 inches monitor for  use with my PC and PS3.

I found monitor that should be good for gaming but I have issues figuring out whether it is compatible with my PS3, the monitor in question is LG Flatron 27EA63V-P.

In monitor specs I seen in e-shops its marked as DVI HDCP compatible and I read somewhere that with new regulations every monitor released in EU after 2006 with HDMI port should be HDCP compatible.

The problem is that I found review that stated this monitor is not HDCP compatible and couldn't be connected to PS3 and that person got that info directly from LG.

On answers.lg.com same question is being left without reply for the past 6 month.

Manuals for this monitor some list HDCP as a feature and some dont.

Is there is someone who have this monitor and based on own experience can definetelly say whether its PS3 compatible or not?

post #1371 of 1373 Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

I hope someone can help me. I've posted on other forums here and not getting anywhere.

I am on my 2nd PS3 slim in 3 weeks and each have the same issue. Blu-Ray dialogue is incredibly soft. I am connected via HDMI to my tv's 2 speakers. I did 'automatic setup' via HDMI and the setup detected two possible output settings: 2-channel Linear PCM 44.1 and 2-channel Linear PCM 48.

HOWEVER, when playing Blu-Rays, I push SELECT on the PS3 controller and it says it's playing 5.1 sound. This despite the fact that only 2-channel is selected in the PS3 settings.

What gives?? Why is it outputting 5.1 when that's not even selected in the audio settings? Hearing Blu-Ray dialogue is pretty much impossible.
post #1372 of 1373 Old 03-01-2014, 06:17 AM

Is it possible that because you have HDMI connected, the PS3 is sending 5.1, but because you don't have 5.1 speakers connected, you can't hear it, or take advantage of the HDMI features? You might want to try to manually config your setup, so you can specify PCM, or stereo 2 channel sound, so it matches the amount of speakers you have to work with.

I love a good gadget.
post #1373 of 1373 Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimj View Post

Is it possible that because you have HDMI connected, the PS3 is sending 5.1, but because you don't have 5.1 speakers connected, you can't hear it, or take advantage of the HDMI features? You might want to try to manually config your setup, so you can specify PCM, or stereo 2 channel sound, so it matches the amount of speakers you have to work with.

If I go into Manual via the PS3 Sound Settings, it's the same deal as if I do Automatic....2-channel Linear PCM 44.1 and 48 are greyed and selected automatically...I can't even DE-SELECT them, even in Manual. The only thing I can do is add other choices. This has been the case with two straight PS3 super slims, so I have a hard time believing both were defective. I have tested on two different HDTV's and get the same thing.

On the PS3 website, it says "when using an HDMI cable, only 2-channel sound is output from the PS3". So why does it output 5.1 when 5.1 is not even selected?????
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Westinghouse , Jvc , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page