The PS3 and the Sony SXRD 50" & 60" XBR1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 135 Old 11-20-2006, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 199
EDIT: To avoid confusion for those reading this thread for the first time (I still get PMs occasionally), Sony upgraded me to a full 1080P XBR2 after I got the green blob. So while I have no more info to share on the XBR1, other members here may be able to help you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've had my Sony 60" SXRD XBR1 set for about 6 months now, and I've posted my PS2 lag problems and acceptable resolutions in these posts from other threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...20#post7794320
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7834372
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7841059
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...84#post7838384

I now have the PS3 and want to discuss how the new console works with the SXRD XBR1 when it comes to lag, visual output quality, and any other related concerns. Perhaps other PS3 owners (or XBox 360 owners) with the same TV can give some additional input.

Here's what I've done so far on my PS3. Nothing I'll post is scientific or done with measuring tools. I'm just an average joeblow with good instincts for how video games, particularly at 60fps, should feel. Here's what I've noticed so far, everything through HDMI:

PS3 blu-ray movies: I have Mission Impossible 3 and Monster House... they each play, look and sound incredible on the XBR1 set to 1080i. My family members were equally in awe... for the average movie watcher, there are no issues there at all, period.

PS2/PS1 games: As many of you know, the PS3 will put all of these older games at 480P instead of their natural 480i (games that can do more like GT4 can be set higher). For me so far, so good when it comes to how the games 'feel'. If there is lag, it is not significant so far based on my tests, but I'll keep at it. Here are some titles I tried and the settings:

Contra: Shattered Soldier - This game is a 60 fps side scrolling shoot'em up and ran great. It is 100% twitch reflex based, so it'd be easy to notice a delay in ducking/jumping, etc. I highly recommend the game BTW for old-school Contra fiends.

Beatmania - This game is a 60 fps rhythm music game (keyboard and turntable). I can't figure out how to get the special controller to work on the PS3 right now (I have an old USB converter that doesn't do it). Stuck with only the control pad, I had to re-teach myself the buttons before I could complete a song.

Once I got the hang of where the new button presses were, I was knocking out the 'Perfects' just fine on songs of medium difficulty. I'm no expert BM player, but as far as I can tell it is playing fine on the XBR1 through the PS3.

Tekken Tag Tournament - An oldie but a goodie, this a 60 fps 1v1 tag fighting game. I've been playing hardcore competitive Tekken for 10 years, so this series is perfect for me to test with. It is very particular about lag since some inputs require you to do motions on the controller very precisely with very little frames available for error if it's slow. Jin's Electric Wind Godfist is an example, which requires one to input forward, neutral, down, and down-forward in one fluid motion within 1/10th of a second. No problems there.

I also played vs. the CPU in Practice mode, which is notorious for being throw happy. Choosing Julia Chang as my opponent, I was able to time my reflexes for breaking her Mad Axes throw whenever I saw it coming. Once Mad Axes connects with your character, you have 1/12th of a second (it has only five escape frames) to recognize it and press both punch buttons to get out of it or you will be tossed. If there was any significant lag, I would definitely feel it trying to break that throw but I was routinely successful.

Tekken 5 - This upgraded Tekken game allows you to set the visual out put to 16x9 in Progressive mode for a natural 480P. I turned these settings on and practiced doing some more EWGFs with Mishimas... no problem. I also tried do some crouch cancel combos with Lei, which also require frame-specific inputs to be successful. For any Tekken players out there, the combo starts in Back Turned and then do this: BK d+1, d+2, f~f+1, Razor Rushx4~Tiger Stance, TGS 4. I was able to do this flawlessly even though there's no room for error when you transition from d+2 to f~f+1.

So as far as I can tell, with PS2 games there is no significant lag on this TV when running through the PS3.

PS3 games: I've played my PS3 almost non-stop since launch day. Here's how each game "felt" to me on the SXRD XBR1:

F1 Championship demo, Resistance demo, Motorstorm demo: All of these games run natively at 720P max. IMPORTANT!!!! They will output at 480P on your TV if you don't manually set it to 720P. I was ignorantly at 1080i when I first played all of these and was a bit disappointed by the visuals. They improved after the 720P switch (especially Resistance), and now they look their best and all run at their programmed frame rate with no issues at all.

Blast Factor demo, Cash Guns Chaos demo, NBA 07 demo, Ridge Racer 7 full version, NBA 2K7 full version:
I have all of these games set to 1080i from the PS3 system menu. I verified the actual resolution once the game is running by clicking the 'Display' button on the SXRD's remote control.

Because of the nature of these types of games, I'm not able to run frame-specific tests like I was able to above. However, I still felt zero significant lag while playing. This is awesome because 1080i games, like 1080i movie playback, looks exactly the same as it would on a full 1080P XBR2. The thing I worried about was if there would be input lag, and so far I feel none. I'll test more when games requiring tighter inputs are released.

RR7 is a blast. I've played online and off, and the game is always running at amazing speeds. NBA '07 looks better than 2K7 at 1080i, and often runs smoother too (even at 720P). 2K7 is the better game so far, but the visuals of '07 are noteworthy.

I went to Cash Guns Chaos as the best test I could think of. It is an upgrade from the arcade classic game Smash TV where you run and shoot in all directions using both analogs. Once I cleared the first stage, I stayed in the empty room and used the digital buttons to test for lag. Pressing square or circle IMMEDIATELY shoots right or left, triangle or 'X' shoots up or down. No matter how lightly I pressed the buttons, it shot a bullet right away. The same is true for using the pad to move the character - it would take the smallest of tiny steps instantly upon pressing a directional button.

=====================================

As a gamer and movie watcher, all in all, I am extremely pleased with my PS3 and 60" SXRD XBR1 so far. I thought I'd regret not waiting for full 1080P because of potential lag issues, but so far there have not been even the smallest of problems. As more games come out, I'll continue to test for any lag that may affect PS3 game play on this television model. I'd appreciate anyone else's hands-on reports as well.

**** 12/29/06 UPDATE ****

I've downloaded and tested the HK version of Tekken 5: DR, which was planned all along to be my ultimate test. I played it extensively on 480P, 720P and 1080i settings of the XBR1. I played it with thwe wireless Sixaxis controller, and I played it with a PS2 controller using a Radio Shack USB converter.

The conclusions are clear: there is definitely noticeable lag at 1080i. In general I can "feel" it while playing Tekken, but specifically there are certain combos I tried that barely worked 1 out of 20 tries in 1080i, but worked every time in 480P and 720P.

What that means is that the conversion from 1080i to 1080P for games that support 1080P takes enough time where your inputs fall behind the action on screen. This is different than display lag, or general frame rate sluggishness which does NOT occur as you can read in the rest of this thread. The frame rate for 1080i and 1080P games is the same, but input lag is indeed evident for a game that requires frame-accurate inputs at 1080P.

So in conclusion, you can play these fighters or rhythm games just fine at 720P or less on the SXRD XBR1. I can still attest to the fact that you won't notice it much playing "regular" games like GT:HD, where I have times that are 7 seconds off the world record holders playing in 1080P. If you want a pure 1080P gaming experience for all games however, this is not the TV to get.

**** 1/6/06 UPDATE ****

Forget what I said in the last update... this TV works fine AFTER you adjust the settings. The trick is to either go with Direct Mode ON in HDMI mode, or going with Game Mode ON (with a lot of adjusting of your TV's display settings) with Component cables. With either of these two options used, you can get little to no perceptible input lag while still maintaining 60 fps in 1080P games. Read page 4 of the thread for more details; testing continues.

Thanks to Marc Alexander for the excellent suggestions.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 Old 11-20-2006, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sweet. Thanks for the feedback as I'm in the shopping process and I'm considering the newer A200 series of your set. Good to hear you don't have lag issues on 480p games.

So the PS3 automatically plays every PS2 game at 480p now? If so that is an excellent bonus.
post #3 of 135 Old 11-20-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It makes older games 480P through HDMI only since it can't do 480i. You can set it at 480i via Component cables however. Next I'll test the input lag and visual quality using my PS2's component cables for everything I posted above.

post #4 of 135 Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

ooo a fellow tekken geek on AVS. ^_^ Very nice post & analysis.

I always tested lag with Yoshi's flash (b+1+4). It has been the fastest move in the game for a while now @ 4 frames, but I think that changed in T5.

Anyway good to know PS3's 480p output of PS2 games makes the process lag free.

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #5 of 135 Old 11-20-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

It makes older games 480P through HDMI only since it can't do 480i. You can set it at 480i via Component cables however. Next I'll test the input lag and visual quality using my PS2's component cables for everything I posted above.

Sweet, then that will be the way to go.

Oh and I'm a Tekken geek as well, but don't know all the technical stuff.. Just have always loved it since playing it back at the arcade.
post #6 of 135 Old 11-20-2006, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

OK, I just tested the Component connection a bit (Beatmania, Tekken 5, Cash Guns Chaos, NBA 07 demo). All of them look and play exactly the same as HDMI at 480P, 720P and 1080i. I was able to go 480i for the PS2 games of course, so there's that option if you want it. I'll try movies next.

BTW you can have your Component and HDMI cables connected to the PS3 and just select either one from the PS3's options (make sure you switch the Audio output as well). This way, no need to mess with cables switching.

post #7 of 135 Old 11-20-2006, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Joe, I have a 60XBR1 and I'm patiently awaiting a call from Gamestop letting me know that my pre-ordered PS3 is here. I have an Xbox360 and it looks stunning on my Sony.

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
post #8 of 135 Old 11-20-2006, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Space View Post

Thanks Joe, I have a 60XBR1 and I'm patiently awaiting a call from Gamestop letting me know that my pre-ordered PS3 is here. I have an Xbox360 and it looks stunning on my Sony.

Yes Ace.......Yes it does

The 5.0 is here
post #9 of 135 Old 11-21-2006, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is awesome because 1080i games, like 1080i movie playback, looks exactly the same as it would on a full 1080P XBR2.

Um...not exactly. 24 FPS films likely look identical between the XBR1 and XBR2, but a true 1080p60 game will not look exactly the same on an XBR1 as on an XBR2. Use the search and you will find more details about the differences between 1080i60, 1080p24, and 1080p60 and 3:2 pulldown detection. The short is, 1080p24 can be converted to 1080i60 then to 1080p60 (movies on XBR1) but 1080p60 converted to 1080i60 can never be fully restored back to 1080p60 (games on XBR1). It will likely be a moot point unless we start to see games that truly exploit 1080p60 (which is unlikely this gen IMO). I have an XBR1 BTW.
post #10 of 135 Old 11-21-2006, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Briefly describe what I should look for and I'll honestly report if it happens. I'm playing 60 fps games at 1080i and have had no noticeable problems so far. Maybe the set's up-conversion to 1080P for final display is doing something right so far, I dunno. How would 3:2 pulldown affect the look or gameplay of a title I have running?

post #11 of 135 Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 AM

I have the 60 XBR1 and so far Resistance at 720P is awsome. Have not done the blu ray yet, can't wait. I want to try a movie other than Taladega Nights since that quality is not the best from what I heard.

One problem: I get a bit of motion sickness if I play Resistance too long. My stomach actually feels upset.

Nothing is perfect if you look hard enough.
post #12 of 135 Old 11-21-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Briefly describe what I should look for and I'll honestly report if it happens. I'm playing 60 fps games at 1080i and have had no noticeable problems so far. Maybe the set's up-conversion to 1080P for final display is doing something right so far, I dunno. How would 3:2 pulldown affect the look or gameplay of a title I have running?

1080i is only 30 FPS where 1080p can be 60 FPS. If you search the forum for 1080i30 you will find many previous discussions.

Microsoft also has a great summary for 24 FPS film content - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/a...1003-hddvd.htm

1080p60 can not be converted to 1080i30 without throwing away frames (half of them) or half of each frame. Most sets that accept 1080i input will also support 1920x540p60, but again you are throwing away half of each frame to achieve 60 FPS. There is no way for a scalar to reproduce the original 1080p60 from 1080i30 the way it can for 24 FPS film sources (it has to interpolate).

What does all this really mean for XBR1 owners? Not too much IMHO. PS3 games at 720p look incredible on the XBR1, as does Blu-ray at 1080i. It remains to be seen if we will see full 1080p60 games that exploit the format (this gen), and how it look on the XBR1.
[interpolated 1080i30 or 1920x540p60 will likely look slightly better than 1280x720p60]
post #13 of 135 Old 11-21-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

IMPORTANT!!!! They will output at 480P on your TV if you don't manually set it to 720P. I was ignorantly at 1080i when I first played all of these and was a bit disappointed by the visuals. They improved after the 720P switch (especially Resistance), and now they look their best and all run at their programmed frame rate with no issues at all.

Are you saying the TV needs to be set to 720p, or the PS3 needs to be set to 720p? I've got a JVC FH96 series which is very similar to the XBR1. I can not set the resolution in the TV itself. My PS3 is being shipped from Costco at the moment so I can't test it myself.

Frankly, at this point I would prefer if ALL games for the PS3 were released in 720p. It's going to get old having to switch the resolution every time I load a specific game or movie.
post #14 of 135 Old 11-21-2006, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efranzen View Post

Are you saying the TV needs to be set to 720p, or the PS3 needs to be set to 720p? I've got a JVC FH96 series which is very similar to the XBR1. I can not set the resolution in the TV itself. My PS3 is being shipped from Costco at the moment so I can't test it myself.

Frankly, at this point I would prefer if ALL games for the PS3 were released in 720p. It's going to get old having to switch the resolution every time I load a specific game or movie.

You are fine.

In your PS3 DISPLAY settings, choose CUSTOM resolution and select 720p and 1080i.

This is only an issue for sets that ONLY accept 1080i and not 720p input.
post #15 of 135 Old 11-21-2006, 01:47 PM

I have my Monster Component cables (from my old PS2) running from my PS3 through my Denon 3805 to my 60" XBR1. I've had my set calibrated by Jeff Meier as well. I have no doubt in my mind that my XBR1 calibrated by Jeff looks better than a XBR2 out of the box.

I've been playing Resistance and it's been the most intense gaming experience I've ever had. Having a PS3 and playing games on this set looks better than I thought. Jeff also calibrated my 3805 w/ 7.1 sound system and after playing this game my heart rate is definitely pretty high. I don't think I could be happier with the setup I have. I was pondering whether or not I should upgrade to an XBR2 but I can't imagine that I would see much of a difference, especially since Jeff worked his magic on my set.

What's pretty crazy to think about is that Resistance is a launch game, and future games will only look and sound better.
post #16 of 135 Old 11-21-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post

You are fine.

In your PS3 DISPLAY settings, choose CUSTOM resolution and select 720p and 1080i.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know you could do this. So the PS3 will recognize the output of the game and switch to your sets optimum resolution by setting it up in this way?
post #17 of 135 Old 11-21-2006, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ No. For this set, the PS3 will keep it at 720P for all games. You have to manually select 1080i if you want that.

Marc Alexander: Thanks for the info, I know more of what to look for. After a few more hours of testing and paying careful attention to the games, I can say that 1080i and 1080P are not exactly the same. However, it's not cut and dried either. However it is done, 1080i is outputting up to 60 fps on 1080P games that can achieve that rate. I am sure of it. What happens is that at times there is some added sluggishness, particularly when the screen is doing extra graphic activity. Here are things I noticed:

Cash Guns Chaos demo: 1080i definitely runs at the same frame rate as 720P. I switch back and forth and it is the same. However when you win a round, your character dances while the camera rotates around him rapidly (i.e. like holding left on a FPS game while standing in place). In 720P the background spins rapidly with no hiccups, in 1080i there is a noticeable slow down about 20% of the rotation before it picks back up. No slow down during actual game play occurs.

NBA 2K7: Again, the game feels to be the same frame rate in 1080i and 720P, but I can tell you that overall this game dips and chugs at certain points in both resolutions. When the camera pulls back after a big play to reveal the full court and all the players, coaches, bench players, etc, it slows down almost every time for both, and it does it worse in 1080i. Game play stays constant and the same for both.

NBA '07 demo: This engine is definitely better optimized than NBA 2K7. It stays at 60fps rock solid in both resolutions during the game 100% of the time. Even the game play overall is a lot smoother and fast than 2K7. I didn't notice any frame rate issues at all in 1080i or 720P except during the full court intro pan shot of the court... there is a slight slowdown on 1080i. Anyone else who does tests on this TV, download this game and see if you are seeing what I'm seeing. It is not a 30 fps game in 1080i.

+++++

As I was going through these tests, it also occurred to me that 1080 is not a major visual upgrade for at least the titles I've tested. NBA 07 is maybe the most vibrant 1080P game out, and it looks pretty much the same in 720P. Perhaps textures designed for 1080 need to be prevalent in a game to make that resolution stand out more. From 480-->720 is very noticeable, but so far that isn't so true with current 1080 games I've tried when downgrading them and comparing them at 720.

I guess that makes sense in a way because you look at some awesome CG movie and despite the low resolution compared to 1080, we haven't seen games yet approach that level of graphic fidelity. I now better understand why some developers say resolution is maybe 4th on the list of what it takes to make a game look really good. Not that I don't think that we won't see clearer examples of the separation between the two resolutions down the road, but for now, I feel a lot more comfortable staying at 720P.

Now with that said, playing 1080i for these games is NOT a problem so far, and I'm a stickler for input issues. I still get 60fps in all the games except as noted above. And I never really noticed the sluggishness until I looked for it. No doubt I can find my toleration limits once Tekken 6 comes out, but even that game may hold at 60fps during game play at 1080i (if it's a 1080P game). Most rhythm games will likely be just fine at 720P, so no issues there. Overall so far, the PS3 is fun and looks great either way based on these early titles.

post #18 of 135 Old 11-26-2006, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if someone with a 2006 XBR2 set (full 1080P input and output) can check the demo of Cash Guns Chaos for the minor slowdown I mentioned above between levels (during the 360 degree screen spin). The reason I ask is that perhaps that minor sluggishness is present at 1080i or 1080P and is unrelated to 3:2 pulldown.

I'm just trying to eliminate any other reasons for it; I understand that this may not be the case. If it is not present in the full 1080P set, then we'll have an example of the difference between the two resolutions in an actual game.

I've played Ridge Racer 7 at 1080i for quite a few hours and haven't experienced any slowdown at all - not in the slightest - and its a 60 fps game. Shouldn't I get occasional frame drops if there is an issue here?

post #19 of 135 Old 11-26-2006, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice posts, joeblow. Keep 'em coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue63 View Post

One problem: I get a bit of motion sickness if I play Resistance too long. My stomach actually feels upset.

There are pills for that. Effectiveness may vary.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #20 of 135 Old 11-26-2006, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if someone with a 2006 XBR2 set (full 1080P input and output) can check the demo of Cash Guns Chaos for the minor slowdown I mentioned above between levels (during the 360 degree screen spin). The reason I ask is that perhaps that minor sluggishness is present at 1080i or 1080P and is unrelated to 3:2 pulldown.

until sony implements a software scaler (unlikely IMO), any game that is outputting 1080i is being rendered internally at 1080p. the sluggishness you are experiencing is likely due to inconsistencies in framerate which normally you may not notice but made more apparent due to the lag introduced by the tv's scaler.
post #21 of 135 Old 11-27-2006, 03:34 AM

Quote:

Beatmania - This game is a 60 fps rhythm music game (keyboard and turntable). I can't figure out how to get the special controller to work on the PS3 right now (I have an old USB converter that doesn't do it). Stuck with only the control pad, I had to re-teach myself the buttons before I could complete a song.

Once I got the hang of where the new button presses were, I was knocking out the 'Perfects' just fine on songs of medium difficulty. I'm no expert BM player, but as far as I can tell it is playing fine on the XBR1 through the PS3.

Tell me more about it.

I own the Japanese versions of the game (from 9th-11th style) which has stricter timing than the US version.

To what resolution is it playing on your TV. Does it worsen with converting (or upscaling) the 480i of beatmania to what the PS3 wants @ 480p?
post #22 of 135 Old 11-29-2006, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckshop View Post

until sony implements a software scaler (unlikely IMO), any game that is outputting 1080i is being rendered internally at 1080p. the sluggishness you are experiencing is likely due to inconsistencies in framerate which normally you may not notice but made more apparent due to the lag introduced by the tv's scaler.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. There is no constant sluggishness at all, but it does slow down very briefly a bit in certain predictable instances. I'm only trying to eliminate another possibility... that 1080P/i itself causes slow down at times on some software. If someone with a XBR2 can check it with Cash Guns Chaos, it would explain a lot either way.

Blackraven: I only have the american version. On my PS2 on this TV, I used to have to go to Game Mode in order to play it the timing was so off at first, but it got better once I turned off the TV's enhancements. On the PS3, it is at 480P and so far I can't detect any significant lag. Perhaps you can provide more hands-on info when/if you get a PS3 to test.

post #23 of 135 Old 12-05-2006, 02:07 PM

Hi all,

According my tests, PS3 1080p games looks exactly the same on both XBR1 and XBR2.
I'm not sure that a flashy game will run nicely on a full 1080p60. The game developers prefer to reduce the load on the GPU and have more detailed graphics rather that faster refresh rate or frame rate.
So theoretically full 1080p game should look better of XBR2 on 60fps, practically they look exactly the same.
Bottom line, in order to have flashy games running on 1080p60fps, we need a machine way faster than the PS3. Probably next gen.

There is some other frustrating issue with Sony, as regard to the XBR1 firmware update to accept 1080p signals.
Both the XBR1 and XBR2 have the exact same hardware as regard to HD display. Both of them have an internal native resolution of 1080p60fps, the only difference is that the XBR2 has a new firmware that can accept 1080p signal, which the XBR1 cannot do.
Theoretically Sony can release a firmware update for the XBR1 TVs to accept 1080p signals, BUT from some marketing ugly reasons they don't. They decided to neglect all the value costumers with XBR1 TVs and try to get more sales on the new XBR2.
I think that in light of the fact that the PS3 outputs 1080p, it would be very nice if they would have released a firmware update for their XBR1 TVs to accept 1080p signals. It's not a lot of work for them, just an ugly marketing decision.

I have the new KDSR60XBR2 TV and I'm very happy with it, I'm just not happy at all with the way Sony treats their valuable costumers.

Andrey.
post #24 of 135 Old 12-05-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks! It did seem to me that the any extra sluggishness I saw at 1080i could be due to the software itself and would be present on a full 1080P input setting as well. You seem to confirm this. If you find ANY replicable output differences between the two settings, let us know!

As a minor update to my posts above, RR7 at 1080i does exhibit slight slowdown when there are a ton of cars tightly packed together on a sharp turn, but again that may be present in 1080P as well. It's a VERY fun game by the way and is by far my most played title (78% finished).

post #25 of 135 Old 12-05-2006, 06:24 PM

If there are slowdowns in the game play they would be more significant in the 1080p rather than 1080i, due to a simple fact that the console needs to render 60 frames per second for full 1080p resolution instead of only 30 for the 1080i.
Realistically most of the 3D games that mention the support for 1080p (both for the PS3 and the XBOX 360) don't render 60 frames per second in the full1920x1080 resolution, the truth is that most of the time (especially for high-end 3D games) the render frame rate is around 30 frames per second while the output is 1080p60fps. So for the 1080p60fps (XBR2) signal each frame presented twice and for 1080i30fps (XBR1) each frame presented once, hence the visual output for the user is identical in both cases.
I guess that small arcades and 2D games that run on 1080p and rendered in 60 frames per second will look better on the XBR2, HOWEVER I cannot tell for sure I've noticed any difference while playing Blast Factor on both XBR1 (1080i) and XBR2 (1080p).

Andrey.
post #26 of 135 Old 12-05-2006, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

^^

nothing personal, but you dont know what you're talking about.
post #27 of 135 Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with much of Andreyy's last post [in theory]...although it may be confusing what he is trying to say at first read.
post #28 of 135 Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

wreckshop... so far what I and apparently Andreyy are commenting on is the actual bottom line when it comes to how 1080P games interact with this TV set. Technical analysis may not always be on point since neither one of us are professionals in that area, but more importantly we are trying to evaluate how games actually look and feel in the end.

Good news people! I think I'll soon be able to be as definitive as possible on the issue of possible lag when playing 1080P/60 fps games on the XBR1. Reports from Japan indicate that Tekken 5: DR is going to be released as a cheap download very soon, and the graphics will be enhanced to 1080P.

Not only is this my favorite game series of all time, but the precise input requirements described in my first post will be fully tested at the 1080P setting. I will go so far as to have two of the best Mishima players in the country come by to test if there is even one frame of noticable lag... they both have mastered Heihachi's advanced EWGF (requires more precise timing than the other EWGFs), and will easily be able to sense if anything is out of sync.

post #29 of 135 Old 12-06-2006, 11:22 AM

hi joeblow

I have the 50' xbr1 and just hooked up my ps3 on monday. And like you said you did when you first got it I set it only to 1080i. Resistance warned me to play in 720p but i went on anyways, and I hit the display key and it showed 1080i. Is it actually using 480p as you said? I will check again when i get home from work but i swear it said 1080i. I'll have to enable 720p and see if it looks any better. Thanks for your report though, very interesting and informative!

edit: the ps3 is hooked up via HDMI

edit2: I was wrong, it was in 480p, and i thought it looked pretty good at that! cant wait to see it at 720p
post #30 of 135 Old 12-06-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidj View Post

hi joeblow

I have the 50' xbr1 and just hooked up my ps3 on monday. And like you said you did when you first got it I set it only to 1080i. Resistance warned me to play in 720p but i went on anyways, and I hit the display key and it showed 1080i. Is it actually using 480p as you said? I will check again when i get home from work but i swear it said 1080i. I'll have to enable 720p and see if it looks any better. Thanks for your report though, very interesting and informative!

edit: the ps3 is hooked up via HDMI

yes, enable 720p in your PS3 and you'll get way better picture than the 480p.
the game is not designd for 1080, so you probably played it on 480p.

Also there is a firmware update for the PS3 1.30. it puts the priorety of the 1080i resolution above the 720p. so you can use the dashboard and the web browser at 1080i, start a 720p game without changing the display settings.

Andrey.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page