Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 985. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 724 Old 11-26-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Anyone know if a D-Link DI-627 will work?
Thanks

PSN: UndeadREDD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 724 Old 11-26-2006, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

Thanks

Any AP that supports 11b or 11g should work.

The problem is the weak radio/poor antenna/interferences in the PS3.

In other words, no matter what router you use, you will have problems.
post #33 of 724 Old 11-26-2006, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

Check my post in the set-up issues thread...the PS3 Wi-Fi radio suffers from a terrible SNR...
In fact, in my case, it is so bad that I can't use it...I had to hook it up to my client bridge.
People should also be aware that with proper wireless access, the PlayStation Store is not so slow. I was able to download the F1 demo in less than 20 minutes.

Dralt if the problem you had was a slow communication with your router, with a high SNR then this was not a problem the original point of this thread. We here experienced a continuous loop of connect to the router, disconnect to the router with a loop time averageing 15 seconds. I don't think that SNR is the reason router can have 100% signal strength and the drop the handshake 15 seconds later. This all started with a wireless connected firmware update to 1.1 and as such was not a problem with the router but a problem with the PS3.

Quote:

Any AP that supports 11b or 11g should work.
The problem is the weak radio/poor antenna/interferences in the PS3.
In other words, no matter what router you use, you will have problems.
Today 11:00 AM

I respectfully disagree with these statements as would a few other members here. I have (had) a 802.11b router and the PS3 will not hold a communication handshake. Since I moved to a 802.11 b/g router and left all setting the same, no problems. It is just not wrong to say that any "11b or 11g should work" but it is definitely not true. See from the first post that there are routers that just won't hold a communication handshake no matter how you tweak them and there are plenty of threads on other boards to support my statement. As for the weak antenna in the PS3 - sure that is an issue, but not the cause of our groups bane. If you have a router with poor range and proximity to the PS3 then the antenna strength becomes apparent, however only once you are able to actually make a stable communication link, does that become a problem for some.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #34 of 724 Old 11-26-2006, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

Thanks

Purchase it from best buy and let us know. They told me I could return my linksys for the netgear 624 if the PS3 rejected the linksys. Just check with your stores policy for the return. No one here has reported using it yet.

post #35 of 724 Old 11-26-2006, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Dralt if the problem you had was a slow communication with your router, with a high SNR then this was not a problem the original point of this thread. We here experienced a continuous loop of connect to the router, disconnect to the router with a loop time averageing 15 seconds. I don't think that SNR is the reason router can have 100% signal strength and the drop the handshake 15 seconds later. This all started with a wireless connected firmware update to 1.1 and as such was not a problem with the router but a problem with the PS3.

I respectfully disagree with these statements as would a few other members here. I have (had) a 802.11b router and the PS3 will not hold a communication handshake. Since I moved to a 802.11 b/g router and left all setting the same, no problems. It is just not wrong to say that any "11b or 11g should work" but it is definitely not true. See from the first post that there are routers that just won't hold a communication handshake no matter how you tweak them and there are plenty of threads on other boards to support my statement. As for the weak antenna in the PS3 - sure that is an issue, but not the cause of our groups bane. If you have a router with poor range and proximity to the PS3 then the antenna strength becomes apparent, however only once you are able to actually make a stable communication link, does that become a problem for some.

1)

In my experience, the percentage labeled "Signal Strength" the XMB shows you does not accurately represent the SNR the PS3 experiences.

Your AP should be able to tell you what SNR it sees for the PS3. Go by that number instead.

I also experienced the repeated disconnections...every 20 seconds or more erratically after I moved the PS3 a little.
I still believe those occur because of the poor SNR.

2)

I have 2 laptops and Xbox 360 connected wirelessly. I placed one of the laptop in the same spot as the PS3. SNR was above 50. I placed the PS3 in that same spot. SNR was 17. Again, those are SNR measurements reported by my AP, not the laptop or the PS3.

11g should somewhat work better than 11b, but, fundamentally, the PS3 has an issue. I don't know if it's software or hardware.

So, if you are going to replace your AP in the hope of solving these problems, don't expect miracles.
post #36 of 724 Old 11-26-2006, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

11g should somewhat work better than 11b, but, fundamentally, the PS3 has an issue. I don't know if it's software or hardware.

So, if you are going to replace your AP in the hope of solving these problems, don't expect miracles.

Lets move this discussion to the other thread where it belongs.

post #37 of 724 Old 11-27-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

RommelB - I just picked up the wrt54g v6.0 and it works fine too but I was reading on the playstation forums about a person with the wrt54g v5.0 wigh problems. I would check the friend's router version on the sticker on the bottom of the router.

He said he re-installed everything and now it's working perfectly fine. I didn't ask what version the firmware was because i heard from him before i read this post but i did ask if he updated anything and he said no.

Quick update.. my signal strength is now 100% at 17feet away. It started at 97% i did nothing that might have increased signal strength. that was weird.

- I don't understand Fanboys.
post #38 of 724 Old 11-27-2006, 09:05 AM

using a linksys wrt54g.

had problems having the wep to work so i switched to wpa with no problems.

[he_who_dares_wins]-[sas]
post #39 of 724 Old 11-27-2006, 08:04 PM

Iam using a Linksys WRT54g v5 with latest firmware, and it seems to be working fine. Although, I get CERY slow download times. And, when I try to connect to Tiger Woods online, it keeps telling me that the EA server is unavailable and to try later. Is anyone else having problems getting onto the EA servers?

Also, Iam not using WEP
post #40 of 724 Old 11-27-2006, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Airlink AR325w Wireless-G 54Mbps Router

This router is working just great with my 60 gb PS3. Infact, out of the dozen or so routers I've owned, this is the only one I've had that is virtually trouble free. Gotta love the fact that a $20 router ($10 if you get them on sale at Fry's) works so wonderfully.
post #41 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcoffey View Post

Apple Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11b/g
works fine with 60 GB PS3

How did you get this to work. I have an Imac G5 with an airtunes as a base station. The PS3 located the base station, I put in the WPA key and it gets an IP address, but then fails on connection. I'm not sure how to create the proper network with the Mac. Any help would be great. Thanks!
post #42 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 07:42 AM

About the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router - should I get the one with Speed Booster or it's not worth it? Thanks for any help.
post #43 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arakail3 View Post

About the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router - should I get the one with Speed Booster or it's not worth it? Thanks for any help.

Couldn't specifically tell you...no one here at AVS has posted about it. From what I read on amazon in a customer review...the speed booster doesn't help download time, it helps file transfers from PC to PC. Now please note this could all be BS and I went for the one without speedbooster because people here had specifically tried it. If you purchase it from Best Buy or someplace similar, you could likely return it if it doesn't work. I know Best Buy offered me that it the WRT54G was incompatibile.

post #44 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 07:54 AM

Thanks for your help Dr.

Also, I am just looking online now but plan to go in store later today - where can I tell the version, because I want to make sure I get v 6.0.
post #45 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just checked the box....it doesn't say it on there. It is listed on the bottom of the router after the model number. I'm sure if you buy one off the shelves your likely to get v 6.0 since it is the newest version - like I said best buy would have allowed me to return it if it didn't work.

post #46 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:

I currently have the Linksys WRT54GS V4 and my PS3 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. as soon as I get it I'll report back and say if it works or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:

I believe the speed booster also has better range. I'd probably go with the speedbooster if you're over 100 ft from the router.

post #48 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 08:56 AM

One last question - with the new router will I have to mess around with any of that Port forwarding DMZ junk - or will I be able to configure it rather easily. Should I set up WEP or WPA as the security?
post #49 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:

One last question - with the new router will I have to mess around with any of that Port forwarding DMZ junk - or will I be able to configure it rather easily. Should I set up WEP or WPA as the security?

DMZ, WEP, WPA - I have absolutely no idea what it means. I installed it and i never touched any settings. Plug, restart, play - works for me.

post #50 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

General Question along the same lines:

Can I get a dedicated modem just for the PS3? Most modems come with an installation CD when connecting it to a PC but I'm interested in just buying another modem just for the PS3 so I don't have to run wires from across the house. Will this work without using the installation CD?

Friends don't let friends game in SD.
post #51 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post

General Question along the same lines:

Can I get a dedicated modem just for the PS3? Most modems come with an installation CD when connecting it to a PC but I'm interested in just buying another modem just for the PS3 so I don't have to run wires from across the house. Will this work without using the installation CD?

You can only register 1 modem per household. Atleast that's the case with Cox.

Why not just use that money on a wireless router? It cost just about the same if not cheaper. And you have have multiple devices working together.

post #52 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

^ Have the wireless router but I only get about 50% signal strength

Friends don't let friends game in SD.
post #53 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I use an ethernet connection for the PS3, but I did test a WRT54G V2.0 wireless router and as far as I could tell it worked fine.
post #54 of 724 Old 11-28-2006, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I couldn't really tell you what the ports forwarding do, check that out in the port thread. As for DMZ I enabled mine because I was following the masses. I haven't a clue what that does either. As for WEP/WPA...I would at least set up some sort of security. I'm not to keen on others looking into my PC or freeloading my $60/month internet. If they want to share the bill they can use the internet.

post #55 of 724 Old 11-29-2006, 01:14 AM

belkin N1 wifi router works

post #56 of 724 Old 11-29-2006, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

SMC 2804WBRP-G does not work for me, been trying all my options but can't get it to work.

Running V2.08 firmware
post #57 of 724 Old 11-29-2006, 06:28 AM

my ~5yr old SMC 7004AWBR works with it

signal strength around 63%, no problems whatsoever
post #58 of 724 Old 11-29-2006, 07:52 AM

Picked up a WRT54G v 6.0 yesterday and it works perfectly! Set it up with WPA-TSIK.
post #59 of 724 Old 11-29-2006, 10:59 AM

I have mine doing the 1.11 update now and it is working with my linksys wrt54gs v4. I actually have a 100% for my signal too. I'm timing the update so I can report back on how long the d/l was too if anyone wants to know.

post #60 of 724 Old 11-30-2006, 12:35 PM

Belkin F5D7230-4 will not work.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page