Wireless Router Poll (read even if not using currently) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: Wireless Router Compatibility with PS3
I use a wireless (b) router and it doesn't work 40 4.06%
I use a wireless (b) router and it works fine 71 7.21%
I use a wireless (g) router and it doesn't work 27 2.74%
I use a wireless (g) router and it works fine 206 20.91%
I use a wireless (b/g) router and it doesn't work 73 7.41%
I use a wireless (b/g) router and it works fine 568 57.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 985. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 724 Old 12-14-2006, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I forgot to add- my download speeds are great- I can usually get updates and demos in 10-20 minutes, and I can surf the net (with interupptions, then reconnections), but I just can't play resistance or stay signed on to PSN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 724 Old 12-14-2006, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFelizardo View Post

I am trying two Belkin routers at the moment, a Pre-N (F5D8230-4) from last year, and the N1.

Both experience the same phenomenon- connent, disconnect after about 20-30 seconds. It doesn't seem to matter what my settings are (WPA, WEP, security off, DMZ on/off, different channels, protected mode(for interference).

Can someone with a Belkin router that is working with the PS3 let me know what your settings are?
I'm beginning to think it won't even matter what wireless router I have, and that the problem is with my environment combined with the PS3.
I might just go for a wireless bridge.

you might want to pm jman069:his post about the N1

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #93 of 724 Old 12-16-2006, 07:38 PM

Liked: 10
hey i have a question. would this work

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

its a usb network adaptor i use to get my wireless internet for my computer would my ps3 connect to it?
post #94 of 724 Old 12-17-2006, 11:23 AM

All of you who are having problems. I;
turned off wireless router and unplugged it
turned off modem and unplugged it
waited two minutes
replugged in modem and powered on
replugged in router and powered on
re initialized with PS3 for networked settings and all works flawlessly!
post #95 of 724 Old 12-18-2006, 07:50 PM

well my main pc is downstairs and my sisters pc is in her room next to mine and shes useing a wireless router to connect to the internet from the main pc downstairs using a linksys B router so i tried setting up the connection from my ps3 and i scaned and set it up so i run off of her signal and i get around 90% but it disconnects me every 10 seconds. im also using wep security since my sister set up the wireless router. any suggestions to help me fix this problem?
post #96 of 724 Old 12-18-2006, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidwater View Post

well my main pc is downstairs and my sisters pc is in her room next to mine and shes useing a wireless router to connect to the internet from the main pc downstairs using a linksys B router so i tried setting up the connection from my ps3 and i scaned and set it up so i run off of her signal and i get around 90% but it disconnects me every 10 seconds. im also using wep security since my sister set up the wireless router. any suggestions to help me fix this problem?

Lose the router....and no I'm not kidding. Start reading my original dilemna on page one and the check to see if the router is listed in the doesn't work section. Get a B/G router off the "approved" list and you should be good to go. I scapped by linksys b router and I doing great now.

post #97 of 724 Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Lose the router....and no I'm not kidding. Start reading my original dilemna on page one and the check to see if the router is listed in the doesn't work section. Get a B/G router off the "approved" list and you should be good to go. I scapped by linksys b router and I doing great now.

yea i was thinking of getting the linksys WRT54G one. should i use wep security or use wpa?
post #98 of 724 Old 12-19-2006, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidwater View Post

yea i was thinking of getting the linksys WRT54G one. should i use wep security or use wpa?

I'm not really sure of the difference. I use wep 26-hex and it works fine.

post #99 of 724 Old 12-19-2006, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So I picked up a PS3 this weekend, I have the Linksys Wireless B BEFWS11 router and I too have the same issue with disconnects after 15 seconds.

I DO NOT think that I should have to buy a new router to fix this issue. For those of you with this issue here is what I found.

I hardwired my connection using a long cable, no wireless, so that I could sign up for a PSN account etc. I then removed the cable, and set up the wireless account again. As soon as it signed into the PSNetwork, I quickly went and attempted to download the MotorStorm demo. Lo and behold an hour or 2 later I had the entire demo downloaded an installed, not one disconnect the entire time. So it seems that while there is data to be transferred, the connection is ok.

Someone who knows more about wireless networking should be able to tell us more about what that means.

In the meantime I will try to contact Sony via telephone and email to see if they acknowledge this issue and it can be fixed in firmware perhaps.
post #100 of 724 Old 12-19-2006, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the Linksys wireless G WRT54GSv6 & it set up & is working with no problems.

Downloaded the 1.31 update in a few mins & just downloaded the F1 demo in about an hour (648mb), is that slow or about right?
The PS3 is the first wireless connection I've set up.

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
post #101 of 724 Old 12-19-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoboard View Post

So I picked up a PS3 this weekend, I have the Linksys Wireless B BEFWS11 router and I too have the same issue with disconnects after 15 seconds.

I DO NOT think that I should have to buy a new router to fix this issue. For those of you with this issue here is what I found.

In the meantime I will try to contact Sony via telephone and email to see if they acknowledge this issue and it can be fixed in firmware perhaps.

You contact sony...and I mean that in the most sincere way. I did that and was "assured" that it would be passed along. I haven't seen a fix yet and I highly doubt I will.

post #102 of 724 Old 12-19-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:

You contact sony...and I mean that in the most sincere way. I did that and was "assured" that it would be passed along. I haven't seen a fix yet and I highly doubt I will.

I know what you mean doc, but I am trying to have enough patience to wait for a fix before I run out and buy another router. This should be something they can fix, this and the non-scaling from 720 are the only issues I am upset about.
post #103 of 724 Old 12-19-2006, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have an older Apple Airport Base Station (not Extreme) that is 802.11b only. I would see it connected in the PS3 network connection summary but no traffic was passing to my gateway device with firmware 1.10. I upgraded to firmware 1.31 via Memory Stick and I was then able to pass the traffic. Works great, now.

Times look variable to me. Last night, the download of Motorstorm demo took between 30 and 45 minutes. Today's download of the Genji demo took about 15 minutes. IIRC the Genjo demo was larger... maybe server load or something. I have 3.0/768 DSL FWIW.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #104 of 724 Old 12-19-2006, 02:48 PM

Hey DogDoctor,

Has anyone confirmed that is you have one of the "won't work" routers, like the Linksys BEFWS11, but you use the Linksys WGA54G Gaming adaptor on the PS3 side, that is does or does not work? If that works, that would tell me definitively that it is an issue with the PS3 WLAN board itself.
post #105 of 724 Old 12-19-2006, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Protoboard: No one here in this thread had mentioned it so I cannot confirm. I would try a search for 20GB and wireless and revive a thread of theirs. They are most likely to use a wireless bridge (but for the 60 ... what is the point of buying a bridge if changing the router works...don't they cost about the same?) Here is the search result I came up with.

post #106 of 724 Old 12-20-2006, 01:35 PM

Well, Sony emailed me back about the issue. In general, they said I should call them, then they provided the phone number and some general troubleshooting information in the email. Of the troubleshooting email, nothing stood out that a chimpanzee wouldn't know, except the following....

The PLAYSTATION(R)3 system supports WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) and WPA (Wi-Fi Protected
Access) encryption technology, capable of using 128-bit/64-bit encryption keys at this time.

- Verify that you do not have any devices which may interfere with a wireless signal. If any such devices are in close proximity, make sure they are shut off to ensure no such interference is present. Such devices include:
a. Microwave oven
b. Florescent lighting
c. Bluetooth(R) wireless devices
d. 2.4 gigahertz cordless phones
e. High powered audio equipment
f. Television sets or computer monitors
g. Electronic insect "zappers"
h. Any other electronic equipment that may produce Radio Frequency (RF) interference

So, for my setup personally
a. OFF/NA
b. OFF/NA
c. The controller is bluetooth for crying out loud!!! What can you do abotu that?!
d. OFF
e. WTF is this? Does the A/V Receiver sitting directly below the PS3 coulnt as high powered audio equipment?
f. Well well, I think EVERYONE using a PS3 has a television nearby, what the heck can I do about this one?
g. sorry, DON'T HAVE ONE
h. None that I can think of.

I will try calling the number tonight, although I am sure it will be of no help.
post #107 of 724 Old 12-20-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That list is pretty "f"ing funny. C to F are all likely to be next to the PS3.

post #108 of 724 Old 12-20-2006, 07:05 PM

I FIXED IT!! While I was on hold with Sony. I then reported to the person what my solution was since she said they had many calls on the same subject.

I would connect wirelessly, then I watched the network status screen on the PS3, I noticed that every 15 seconds when the signal would drop, that the BSSID MAC address would also change. So, I disabled the SSID broadcast on my router, and low and behold I have been connected over 30 minutes with no drops.

I hope this helps someone out there.
post #109 of 724 Old 12-20-2006, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I FIXED IT!! While I was on hold with Sony. I then reported to the person what my solution was since she said they had many calls on the same subject.

I would connect wirelessly, then I watched the network status screen on the PS3, I noticed that every 15 seconds when the signal would drop, that the BSSID MAC address would also change. So, I disabled the SSID broadcast on my router, and low and behold I have been connected over 30 minutes with no drops.

I hope this helps someone out there.

I noticed that the BSSID would also change too - I tried entering in the second mac address and still it did not work either.

Tell me does that work still - any disconnnects and if none for few hours post back and I will update the list above with and alert to test the other routers in the same manner.

If you found it - that is awesome. To bad I don't have the other router anymore to check with you.

post #110 of 724 Old 12-21-2006, 11:07 AM

My DLink DI-624 works fine.
post #111 of 724 Old 12-21-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I noticed that the BSSID would also change too - I tried entering in the second mac address and still it did not work either.

Tell me does that work still - any disconnnects and if none for few hours post back and I will update the list above with and alert to test the other routers in the same manner.

If you found it - that is awesome. To bad I don't have the other router anymore to check with you.

Yep, this fixed my issue 100%. Not one drop since that happened. Downloaded demos, send messages, played resistance online, no problems at all. I also informed the lady on the SCEA Tech Support line what my fix was so hopefully anyone else calling in will get the same info.
post #112 of 724 Old 12-21-2006, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

protoboard....Sony called me back today as a followup to my original call. Sony was very interested in your find and I even was able to have them call up the thread to see the number of routers listed as working/not working and the poll results. Sony seemed very impressed with AVS's work and results. I hope something good comes out of our work and your fix.

post #113 of 724 Old 12-22-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Yep, this fixed my issue 100%. Not one drop since that happened. Downloaded demos, send messages, played resistance online, no problems at all. I also informed the lady on the SCEA Tech Support line what my fix was so hopefully anyone else calling in will get the same info.

Disabling the Broadcast SSID also fixed the problem for me 100% as well and I have the same router.

Thanks for your help!

John
post #114 of 724 Old 12-22-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

Disabling the Broadcast SSID also fixed the problem for me 100% as well and I have the same router.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks also it worked for me!!! This site is amazing!!!!
post #115 of 724 Old 12-22-2006, 01:50 PM

I'm new to all of these. How do you disable the SSID? Thanks for all the help.
post #116 of 724 Old 12-22-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sometimes it's called Close or Not Broadcast or Private Network. Something to that effect. Basically it won't show up on an "ordinary" automatic search and computers trying to join need to input the exact name. Someone deliberately searching will still find it, though.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #117 of 724 Old 12-22-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightee23 View Post

I'm new to all of these. How do you disable the SSID? Thanks for all the help.

I refered to my instruction manual that came with the router...comes in handy.
post #118 of 724 Old 12-23-2006, 08:58 AM

For those with a BEFW11S4, how did you set up the PS3? My router settings are basically from the factory, besides the SSID Broadcast (disabled), and I still can't seem to connect. Should I have my PS3 directed to a certain IP Address or just use the automatic choice?

"Although I am already in my pyjamas."
post #119 of 724 Old 12-23-2006, 09:18 AM

i have a dlink-4300 and cannot get the thing to connect wirelessly. It keeps saying obtaining ip address failed. I know some of you are useing this router, if you could tell me how to set it up i would really appreciate it.
post #120 of 724 Old 12-23-2006, 10:16 AM

I ended up getting it to work by doing a hard wired system update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page