I use a wireless (b/g) router and it works fine 568 57.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 985. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 724 Old 01-10-2007, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well thank you guys for your help.. i did try to disable the UPnP in the router and PS3 but didn't do anything.. i checked prices on a ethernet hub and adding 50ft of cat 5 it comes to same price than having wireless router so i'm gonna stick to the linksys wireless and even thou i ordered extreme 6.0 dsl today they told me i only have 3.0 so i have to wait one more week to update and i hope it might get a bit faster.. what i do know is that i'm not gonna buy anything else to make the connection faster.. that's for sure..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 724 Old 01-10-2007, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think the wifi in the ps3 is not working right and needs updated driver...does anyone know what the wifi part is and who makes it?
I have 6mb dsl and my ps3 is capped out at 1mb because i have tested it several times....

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #183 of 724 Old 01-11-2007, 02:18 PM

My apartment has wireless internet hooked up throughout the building, but I don't have a router or anything in my apartment. For some reason I'm only getting a 7% signal strength on my PS3 wireless setup, however my comptuter connection is fine.

If I buy a router at the store will it capture the wireless internet signal? And if so, can I just plug in an ethernet cord from the back of the router to the PS3 to give the PS3 a stronger signal?
post #184 of 724 Old 01-11-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenElisha0 View Post

My apartment has wireless internet hooked up throughout the building, but I don't have a router or anything in my apartment. For some reason I'm only getting a 7% signal strength on my PS3 wireless setup, however my comptuter connection is fine.

If I buy a router at the store will it capture the wireless internet signal? And if so, can I just plug in an ethernet cord from the back of the router to the PS3 to give the PS3 a stronger signal?

Wireless routers or wired routers do not "capture" signals they only transmit them.
You must have cable or dsl plugged into them. You could try some kind of booster or repeater-someone just posted about doing this- I can't help you in that department. I have the Netgear Super G wireless router "wgt624v3" connecting with the ps3. It is about 25 feet away and gets 65% Signal strength. I have downloaded everything from the store and have not had any problems whatsoever.Most demo's I have downloaded have taken 25 to 30 minutes with no hiccups at all. I can't be happier with the ps3 downloading although I would like to see it's signal strength higher.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #185 of 724 Old 01-11-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Post back tomorrow that it is still working well and I will shift it to the working list. Will be glad to add/move another one. Enjoy the downloads.

Still works today. Note that may be of help, it worked fine before I did this with games, ps store, and friends list, but after I did this the nat changed from failed to type 2 and still worked perfectly:

open tcp/udp ports 10070-10080
and udp ports 6000-6999
post #186 of 724 Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenElisha0 View Post

No, a router will not capture give you an IP address via wireless. You need to plug your cable/dsl modem to your router in order for it to do that.

What you're looking for, is a bridge. This probably has a better antenna than the PS3. If you have a hub or a switch, you can plug the bridge into the hub/switch, and then plug that into your computer and PS3.

Or, you can plug it directly into your PS3, and that will probably give you a better signal. Be sure to switch your PS3 back to wired mode if you attempt it.
post #187 of 724 Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Strange happenings:

Asus WL-500W: Wireless N. Works like a charm with the PS3, wireless and wired. I can connect to EA games without any modification. This uses the broadcom chip. Unfortunately, for my home network this has the least options available and because of the interface I would prefer not to use it over the other two routers but hey it works.

Netgear Rangemax Next (WNR854T): This is a great router that gets 300mbps connections while using wireless N cards, and 1GB connection wired. overall this is a solid router for a home network, but one problem..I cannot get the PS3 playing EA games while using this router. Connecting to PS3 online isn't a problem so playing games like Marvel is just fine, but when I try and play EA games like fight night and madden, huge problems. I've tried opening port, putting the ps3 on the dmz, tried wired and wireless to no avail. I tried the latest firmwares and nothing. I will be contacting their support shortly but I doubt they will be of any help.

D-Link DIR-625: My favorite router for home use, that is if I can play EA Games on the PS3 with it. Same exact problems as the WNR854T. Connecting online isn't a problem but I cannot play EA games on it. I open ports, put it on the DMZ, wireless or wired doesnt matter, nothing.

When I connect the PS3 straight to my cable modem, I get Nat Type 1 and i have no problems connecting to EA games. I use the routers and I get NAT type 2 and while I connect to PS3 online no problem, not being able to connect to EA games is causing me a headache. opening the specifc udp and tcp ports or even putting it on the DMZ on the last two routers just doesnt work. Really frustrating. If you guys have any ideas please let me know.
post #188 of 724 Old 01-12-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiroh View Post

Strange happenings:

Asus WL-500W: Wireless N. Works like a charm with the PS3, wireless and wired. I can connect to EA games without any modification. This uses the broadcom chip. Unfortunately, for my home network this has the least options available and because of the interface I would prefer not to use it over the other two routers but hey it works.

Netgear Rangemax Next (WNR854T): This is a great router that gets 300mbps connections while using wireless N cards, and 1GB connection wired. overall this is a solid router for a home network, but one problem..I cannot get the PS3 playing EA games while using this router. Connecting to PS3 online isn't a problem so playing games like Marvel is just fine, but when I try and play EA games like fight night and madden, huge problems. I've tried opening port, putting the ps3 on the dmz, tried wired and wireless to no avail. I tried the latest firmwares and nothing. I will be contacting their support shortly but I doubt they will be of any help.

D-Link DIR-625: My favorite router for home use, that is if I can play EA Games on the PS3 with it. Same exact problems as the WNR854T. Connecting online isn't a problem but I cannot play EA games on it. I open ports, put it on the DMZ, wireless or wired doesnt matter, nothing.

When I connect the PS3 straight to my cable modem, I get Nat Type 1 and i have no problems connecting to EA games. I use the routers and I get NAT type 2 and while I connect to PS3 online no problem, not being able to connect to EA games is causing me a headache. opening the specifc udp and tcp ports or even putting it on the DMZ on the last two routers just doesnt work. Really frustrating. If you guys have any ideas please let me know.

Type 1 just means a direct connection to the modem, type 2 means through a router. Don't drive yourself nuts trying to get that changed..that doesn't seem to be the issue. Do you have UpNp enabled?
post #189 of 724 Old 01-13-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdescent View Post

Type 1 just means a direct connection to the modem, type 2 means through a router. Don't drive yourself nuts trying to get that changed..that doesn't seem to be the issue. Do you have UpNp enabled?

THe odd thing is the routers that work have upnp enabled and show on the ps3 console that upnp is enabled. The other two, although upnp is enabled in the console do not show up on the ps3 as enabled.
post #190 of 724 Old 01-17-2007, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Linksys WRT54G v6.0 working great for my PS3 60g Wifi
and my XBOX 360 with the MS Wifi wireless network adapter.

Just took me a while to figure out
...needed to switch to channel 11 from the default (6)
I'm in an apartment where something was interfering with the channel 6 frequency.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #191 of 724 Old 01-18-2007, 06:31 AM

PS3 (to buy this weekend) in family room upstair. What is the best (least $) for me to set up a wireless LAN for the PS3 ?

I usecable braodband service, is any one of the following possible?

1. can I add a 2nd router (a wireless) to the remaining port of the WIRED router? i.e. I don't have to spend any additional $$ on wireless acrds for the three PC(s). Only PS3 will use the wireless connection

2. I have a cable outlet in the familay room, not in use ever since I switched to Dish. Can I add 2nd cable modem with a wireless router using this outlet WITHOUT causing any conflict to the wired LAN set up in the basement? Should this change my sub fee of the service (i.e. have a 2nd router).

TIA for your help!
post #192 of 724 Old 01-18-2007, 07:51 AM

Damn,I have my entire network around Belkin Pre-n and it dosent work...Anyway i'll just do ethernet for best online play..
post #193 of 724 Old 01-18-2007, 09:03 AM

Wagon Man
What type of Cable Modem are you currently using, and how many things are connected? The answers to your questions, in order, are Yes (most likely) and No.

AmigaDude
post #194 of 724 Old 01-18-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaDude View Post

Wagon Man
What type of Cable Modem are you currently using, and how many things are connected? The answers to your questions, in order, are Yes (most likely) and No.

AmigaDude,

My Cable Modem is RCA DCM315 -- came with cable broadband service. Router is Linksys BEFSX41. Do I stand a chance?

Also, can you clarify your "No" ? You mean "No - not possible" or "No - won't affect the wired Lan nor my monthly sub fee."
post #195 of 724 Old 01-18-2007, 10:23 PM

Don't know if this was mentioned but the Linksys WRT300N works fine on my 60gb.
post #196 of 724 Old 01-19-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Man View Post

AmigaDude,

My Cable Modem is RCA DCM315 -- came with cable broadband service. Router is Linksys BEFSX41. Do I stand a chance?

Also, can you clarify your "No" ? You mean "No - not possible" or "No - won't affect the wired Lan nor my monthly sub fee."

No, another modem will not help your situation.

If you are planning on buying another modem, you could buy another router.

If your router does not offer wireless, you might want to try a wireless access point. A wireless access point may require a PoE (Power Over Ethernet) adapter.
post #197 of 724 Old 01-20-2007, 01:38 AM

I have Verizon DSL I had a problem the other day and to change my password and stuff and now it screwed up on me being able ot get online on my ps3 and xbox360.

Before when i would get on the internet on my Labtop i would go to connect to and choose the verizon and connect like that , well now they had me change some things i cant log on like that.

I just click on the internet explore icon and its ready before i wouldnt have to do that and im sure thats why i cant log on the internet on my game consoles,.

Does any1 know how to fix this problem verizon tech support is a pain in the azz

i changed the password on my ps3 and 360 and i still cant log on
post #198 of 724 Old 01-20-2007, 01:41 AM

can some one please help me out ? when they get a chance
post #199 of 724 Old 01-20-2007, 05:52 AM

Is the Linksys - G Gaming router compatible for the 20 GB?

WGA54G
post #200 of 724 Old 01-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Use cox broadband but obviously need to hook the ps3 for updates. Apparently I will need router for this. Using General Instrument Surfboard modem. When I get router the ethernet cable will plug into modem and then out to the computer and the ps3?

thanks
post #201 of 724 Old 01-20-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I voted wireless b/g and works fine. I purchase recently and use the Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO model F5D9230-4.

I've never set up a network before. Went to BB picked a router (looking for 108 mbps specifically), installed in 10 minutes (I did use the "no broadcast SSID" tweak I read on another forum), setup the wireless option in the PS3, and downloaded the PS3 1.32 update in no time.

Two nights ago I played on line for the first time. No lag or drops while playing Resistance over a couple of hours. The router is located upstairs in our bonus room. The PS3 is down stairs. My signal strength was 45-50 when I first installed the router, then I elevated the router and signal strength went to 65.

Netgear has a nice 7 antenna router that a friend of mine just bought. I'm thinking about picking one up just to see if signal strength can be better. The Belkin has 1,000 ft of coverage. The Netgear has 500,000 sq ft (I think) according to the box.

PSN/XBL scrub175
post #202 of 724 Old 01-20-2007, 06:32 PM

May be I'd just get myself some 50ft LAN cable to connect the PS3 to router, kids are all gone to bed by the time I can "do my own things" anyway ....

Quote:

PS3 (to buy this weekend) in family room upstair. What is the best (least $) for me to set up a wireless LAN for the PS3 ?

1. can I add a 2nd router (a wireless) to the remaining port of the WIRED router? i.e. I don't have to spend any additional $$ on wireless acrds for the three PC(s). Only PS3 will use the wireless connection

2. I have a cable outlet in the familay room, not in use ever since I switched to Dish. Can I add 2nd cable modem with a wireless router using this outlet WITHOUT causing any conflict to the wired LAN set up in the basement? Should this change my sub fee of the service (i.e. have a 2nd router).

TIA for your help!

post #203 of 724 Old 01-21-2007, 03:41 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I just got a Linksys WRT54GS. PS3 is wireless, laptop is wireless, 360 is wired. Everything works fine. I've never messed with this stuff before, and it couldn't have been easier.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #204 of 724 Old 01-22-2007, 09:28 AM

How do you connect PS3 wirelessly using the Actiontec (FiOS TV) router? Apparently, if security settings (ie WEP) in the Actiontec aren't used, it should work but so far no luck. PLEASE HELP! Thanks!!
post #205 of 724 Old 01-22-2007, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by resanders View Post

How do you connect PS3 wirelessly using the Actiontec (FiOS TV) router? Apparently, if security settings (ie WEP) in the Actiontec aren't used, it should work but so far no luck. PLEASE HELP! Thanks!!

Quote you might want to PM the author of this post, as he was able to make it work. If he doesn't respond, I know he was a good poster at PS3forums when the PS3 came out and you can look for him there too.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #206 of 724 Old 01-22-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:

A quick search, based on your post of having a RCA DCM315 modem, points to this -> TimeWarner Installation article . Based on that, you have two physical connections to the Modem. 1 Ethernet, and 1 USB. There are a couple of types of possibilities to get the PS3 connected. Here is my best guess, ranked in terms of ease, but not neccessarily cost.

1) Replace the RCA modem with Wireless Cable Modem. (you need to contact your provider to see what options you have) Assuming your existing PC has ethernet, this gives you one piece of equipment that can connect everything.

2) Add a Wireless Access Point 1 - IF your existing PC is using the USB port on the cable modem, you can just plug the Access Point into the Ethernet connection on the cable modem, and (with some tweaking) away you go.

3) Add a Wireless Access Point 2 - IF your existing PC is using the Ethernet port on the cable modem, you need an Access Point that has a builtin ethernet switch. This allows you to plug the Access Point into the Cable Modem, and plug your PC(s) into the Access Point. Might not be as bad as it sounds, but depends on whether your cable provider needs the Mac address of your PC for security, in which case it takes some additional setup work.

BTW, to answer your earlier question. Each physical cable or phone line coming into a house (normally one per house) can only accomodate 1 modem. So, for Cable or DSL you CANNOT have multiple modems connected.

Hope this helps...

AmigaDude
post #207 of 724 Old 01-22-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

Check my post in the set-up issues thread...the PS3 Wi-Fi radio suffers from a terrible SNR...
In fact, in my case, it is so bad that I can't use it...I had to hook it up to my client bridge.
People should also be aware that with proper wireless access, the PlayStation Store is not so slow. I was able to download the F1 demo in less than 20 minutes.

post #208 of 724 Old 01-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

The Dlink DI-784 works!

I have this router with a PS3 60gb model.

I turned of the SSID broadcast. Solid connections!

Playstation Network Name: Aiphanes
Warhawk Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Resistance Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Folding@home Team 56396

Knights of Halfbros Team STATS
post #209 of 724 Old 01-22-2007, 05:06 PM

I have the linksys wrt5r6 v. 4, no darn wander I am constantly getting disconnected, or having the disconnected from the access point sing. I have lost seven games on Madden because of this darn router I got for free, I guess it's time for an upgrade.
post #210 of 724 Old 01-22-2007, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the49ola View Post

I have the linksys wrt5r6 v. 4, no darn wander I am constantly getting disconnected, or having the disconnected from the access point sing. I have lost seven games on Madden because of this darn router I got for free, I guess it's time for an upgrade.

Have you tried turning off the SSID broadcast feature of the router. That might help you with the disconnect from access point problem but I think I recall hearing that there is a linksys router/EA server connection problem.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page