PlayStation Network and port forwarding... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know which ports need to be forwarded at the level of a NAT device in order to get best network performance from the PlayStation Network?

I was shocked when I realized this is not mentioned anywhere!

My firewall/router blocks all incoming connections through ports I have not explicitly forwarded.
This information would be essential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Again...not to familiar with the terminology of "NAT" but is this some of what you are looking for: link

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #3 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Again...not to familiar with the terminology of "NAT" but is this some of what you are looking for: link

NAT means Network Address Translation. It's a method to map a network address that makes sense outside your network to a network address that makes sense inside your network.

It's hard to explain from scratch, but basically it gives you some control on what connections can be established from outside your network.

There are ways to avoid restrictions imposed by NAT, but they usually imply decreased overall performance.

The link you posted is a good start for me to investigate.

Thank you very much!
post #4 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Each game utilizes different ports (usually somewhere in the game manual or online support site).
post #5 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know the source of the information in this thread.
I think it might be a wild guess on the OP's part.

Some useful info can be found there about NAT:

http://au.playstation.com/ng/faq_adv...tworking.jhtml

I think the ports info was guessed from the way it worked with PS2.
post #6 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I emailed Sony with this exact question...they emailed me back 2 days later with a generic email that had nothing to do with my question. I really hate these guys.

XBOX - Hyperplasia | PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #7 of 46 Old 11-27-2006, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

I emailed Sony with this exact question...they emailed me back 2 days later with a generic email that had nothing to do with my question. I really hate these guys.

I am not surprised. I don't remember the last time I talked to a Customer Service Representative who actually knew anything.

They spend all of their time trying to match your questions with their available scripts and they are not very good at it.
post #8 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post

Each game utilizes different ports (usually somewhere in the game manual or online support site).

You are kidding, right?
post #9 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael St. Clair View Post

You are kidding, right?

No, I'm not. What makes you think I am?
post #10 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post

No, I'm not. What makes you think I am?

Just because that's an idiotic approach for a console. I guess I should stop being surprised at some point.
post #11 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 08:07 AM

With uPnP enabled routers and whatnot this shouldn't be much of an issue. My PS3 works fine on my school's network, where even freaking IRC is blocked.
post #12 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shud View Post

With uPnP enabled routers and whatnot this shouldn't be much of an issue. My PS3 works fine on my school's network, where even freaking IRC is blocked.

uPnP is not ideal in terms of security.

On the other hand, if I'm going to have to open and close ports when I play this or that game, what a nightmare.
post #13 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Response from SCEA:

Quote:

Thank you for writing us.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Here are the TCP and UDP Port numbers
you will need to connect to our first-party game servers. If you need port numbers for games
published by third-party companies, you will need to contact them directly for additional
information.

For all PLAYSTATION(R)3 format software titles published by Sony Computer Entertainment America
(SCEA):

TCP Ports: 10070 - 10080
UDP Ports: 10070

In addition, please note these additional ports for the following titles:

SOCOM I,II,III:
UDP Ports: 10070, 50000
Voice Chat: UDP 6000-7000, 10070 (for headset operation)

Frequency
UDP Ports: 10070
Allow incoming ICMP Echo Reply

*Note: Please make sure to enable these TCP/UDP ports in BOTH directions.

post #14 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Check your router for a "DMZ" setting. This allows ALL ports to be open for one IP address. (never use this on an IP that a PC is connected to. Use only for a console)

I use this myself and have had no problems.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #15 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn View Post

Check your router for a "DMZ" setting. This allows ALL ports to be open for one IP address. (never use this on an IP that a PC is connected to. Use only for a console)

I use this myself and have had no problems.

I know about the DMZ option, but it's kind of risky if someone finds a way to install a trojan on your PS3.

I am asking Sony about a better alternative.

I'll keep you posted.
post #16 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

I know about the DMZ option, but it's kind of risky if someone finds a way to install a trojan on your PS3.

I am asking Sony about a better alternative.

I'll keep you posted.

Wouldn't you only need to worry about a trojan on your PS3 unless you don't have wep/wpa or some form of security set up. Just questioning for my own knowledge.

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #17 of 46 Old 11-28-2006, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wouldn't you only need to worry about a trojan on your PS3 unless you don't have wep/wpa or some form of security set up. Just questioning for my own knowledge.

Well, if someone successfully installs a trojan on your PS3, they have access to all your network parameters. They can sniff network packets, etc.

Now, I admit it's a long shot to imagine someone will ever be able to install a trojan on a PS3.
post #18 of 46 Old 11-29-2006, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

Well, if someone successfully installs a trojan on your PS3, they have access to all your network parameters. They can sniff network packets, etc.

Now, I admit it's a long shot to imagine someone will ever be able to install a trojan on a PS3.

It's a very long shot. Almost as long a shot as thinking Sony will deliver an easier way to do it. They don't set universal standards like Xbox Live. Every game will be a possible new headache.

I believe you can trust DMZ, but to each his own.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #19 of 46 Old 11-29-2006, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update from SCEA...

The question was:

Quote:

Could you explain to me how PlayStation 3 uses uPnP?
I assume enabling uPnP at the level of my firewall could allow the console to open any port required by any particular game.

Their answer is:

Quote:

We apologize for any inconvenience, but we do not have any information to answer your question referenced in your email at this time. We recommend checking back with us in the future for additional updates and details.

In other words, Japan did not provide this information to SCEA.

SCEA must feel dangerously isolated.
post #20 of 46 Old 11-29-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

DMZ helped a littl but still very slow for me
post #21 of 46 Old 11-30-2006, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually it helped a lot!!!!
Well for online play anyway. My ping is constantly at its highest level (full green bar). and gameplay was lagless, I played against people with low pings in 2k7 and it was horrible, but against anyone with a decent ping it was beautiful, Resistance too was great online.

I guess I can accept that it takes an hour and 20 minutes to download ans install the motorstorm demo
post #22 of 46 Old 11-30-2006, 09:35 AM

I did the DMZ thing between my router and my old PS2. It worked but Socom definitely had it's problems at times. I guess I need to do it again for my PS3 ???
post #23 of 46 Old 11-30-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy M View Post

I did the DMZ thing between my router and my old PS2. It worked but Socom definitely had it's problems at times. I guess I need to do it again for my PS3 ???

Could someone explain how to set your DMZ settings in your router using wifi connect????
post #24 of 46 Old 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a D-Link DI-524. Is there a way to make it so that everything can get thru, and so you don't have to forward any ports (so that they will all automatically just get thru)? I'm not worried about security settings because my network is all hard-wired (not wireless).

Obviously I don't really have an in-depth understanding of security settings on routers or how to program them.

Are the router's settings programmed by logging into your router or by using buttons on the router itself?

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
post #25 of 46 Old 11-30-2006, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko1290 View Post

I have a D-Link DI-524. Is there a way to make it so that everything can get thru, and so you don't have to forward any ports (so that they will all automatically just get thru)? I'm not worried about security settings because my network is all hard-wired (not wireless).

Obviously I don't really have an in-depth understanding of security settings on routers or how to program them.

Are the router's settings programmed by logging into your router or by using buttons on the router itself?

Your router has some kind of Web site built into it. You can access it using a Web browser at a certain address, often "http://192.168.1.1", once there you can put the IP address of your console in the DMZ field or check the box near "Enable uPnP".
post #26 of 46 Old 11-30-2006, 03:57 PM

So far, with my Linksys, using UPnP has been just fine, unlike my 360's UPnP support. :/

I would rather use UPnP, since the game asks for ports X-Y to be opened, and then lets go of them when it is done. Much better than just opening up a DMZ, IMO. The security issue comes into place that a trojan or worm /could/ ask for ports to open, but in the case of Windows worms/trojans, protecting your inbound ports is worthless anyways since these nasty guys tend to call out to their writers, not have the writer call in. They tend to assume they are behind a firewall, so they don't even try to open ports.
post #27 of 46 Old 11-30-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krevnik View Post

So far, with my Linksys, using UPnP has been just fine, unlike my 360's UPnP support. :/

I would rather use UPnP, since the game asks for ports X-Y to be opened, and then lets go of them when it is done. Much better than just opening up a DMZ, IMO. The security issue comes into place that a trojan or worm /could/ ask for ports to open, but in the case of Windows worms/trojans, protecting your inbound ports is worthless anyways since these nasty guys tend to call out to their writers, not have the writer call in. They tend to assume they are behind a firewall anyways.

for some reason I had UPnP enabled and the PS3 kept reading it as unavailable, Once I set up the DMZ to my PS3's static IP address the PS3 reads UPnP as available.

Do I have to worry about trojans if I don't install Linux OP? wouldn't the trojan most likely be written for a windows environment anyway(I don't know the answer)

Also do I need to set up static IP addresses for my other wireless devices (like 3 pcs) and psp so that they don't get assigned the PS3's IP address or will the router know not to give out that address to any other device?
post #28 of 46 Old 11-30-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krevnik View Post

I would rather use UPnP, since the game asks for ports X-Y to be opened, and then lets go of them when it is done. Much better than just opening up a DMZ, IMO. The security issue comes into place that a trojan or worm /could/ ask for ports to open, but in the case of Windows worms/trojans, protecting your inbound ports is worthless anyways since these nasty guys tend to call out to their writers, not have the writer call in. They tend to assume they are behind a firewall, so they don't even try to open ports.

My advice to you: If you are going to use uPnP, make sure all your Windows PCs don't have uPnP enabled.
When you enable uPnP at the level of your router, you allow any uPnP-enabled device in your network to open ports as they see fit and without notice.
Considering how secure Windows PCs tend to be, you don't want any virus or trojan to be opening ports that should not be open.

Check this page for a tool that allows you to disable uPnP in Windows:

http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm
post #29 of 46 Old 11-30-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg View Post

for some reason I had UPnP enabled and the PS3 kept reading it as unavailable, Once I set up the DMZ to my PS3's static IP address the PS3 reads UPnP as available.

Wow, yeah... some UPnP implementations on routers do suck. I take that back... almost all of them do. Not sure what else to say about that one.

Quote:
Do I have to worry about trojans if I don't install Linux OP? wouldn't the trojan most likely be written for a windows environment anyway(I don't know the answer)

A trojan is much like the Trojan Horse... you have to let it in yourself. So you would have to download the app yourself and run it. Any virus/trojan would also have to be written SPECIFICALLY for the PS3, or PowerPC Linux in order to actually do damage. Sony's OS is locked down tighter than a guy going for his first prostrate exam, and with Linux's popularity mostly being on x86, there isn't much out there that will pose a threat.

That may change, however, so just keep an eye out for reports every so often, and only download software from sources you are willing to trust when running Linux, and you should be fine.

Quote:
Also do I need to set up static IP addresses for my other wireless devices (like 3 pcs) and psp so that they don't get assigned the PS3's IP address or will the router know not to give out that address to any other device?

Here is how I solve that problem: I configure the router so that I have two parts of my address space: one which the router is allowed to assign, one that it isn't. Any static IPs go in the second area. This way you can avoid clashes. My printer server, router, and file server are all static IP (x.x.x.1-.39 for example), and everything else is dynamic (x.x.x.40-.254).
post #30 of 46 Old 11-30-2006, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg View Post

Don't worry about trojans or viruses on the PS3 at this time.

In a DHCP environment, it is always possible to have clients configured statically.
To use the DMZ feature, it's better to configure the PS3 statically.
Your other devices can continue using DHCP.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page