PS3 IR REMOTE - A solution for DVD remote play control - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1200 Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie 1.8 View Post

I did, in detail. Thank you for posting that. What I am specifically looking for are 2 PS3 device settings:

1) inter-key delay, measured in milliseconds
2) there is another device setting found under "troubleshooting", that ranges from 0-5. It is described as:

"If your device responds too slowly, or not at all when you press a button on the remote, increase the value to 4 or 5. If your device responds too quickly, lower the value to 2, 1 or 0."

For these 2 elements, what are your settings?

1. Interkey: 500ms
2. set at 3

I left these at factory settings once I had learned the commands in RAW correctly.
HTH

Jason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1200 Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

1. Interkey: 500ms
2. set at 3

I left these at factory settings once I had learned the commands in RAW correctly.
HTH

Jason.

Thanks, I'll try these settings. Mine works as it is, but does skip a bit. Not perfect, but it does work.
post #93 of 1200 Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, I'll try these settings. Mine works as it is, but does skip a bit. Not perfect, but it does work.

The key for me to stop the skipping was to press and release the buttons on the original PS2 remote really quickly when learning. I would double check the delays, then relearn.
post #94 of 1200 Old 05-15-2007, 07:11 PM

I have been searching for a way so that I can use a standard universal IR remote to control the PS3 functions. Since I have the requisite USB skills, I finally decided to build my own solution. I made a small USB stick that receives Sony IR codes and puts out USB HID keyboard packets. It's a whopping 1.2" x 0.6" in size. And works great! Unfortunately, Sony doesn't seem to support USB remote wakeup or at least I haven't figured out how to make it work yet. This means that you can't turn on the PS3 via IR yet. There is no mapping for the PS button either. But I can map all of the other controller keys to the universal IR remote. It's still a work in progress though as I don't have a plastic cover yet.

Anyway, I happened to find this thread a while back in my search and wanted to see if there is still any interest in a solution of this sort. Like, is anybody interested in buying one? I was thinking of selling them for about $40 at first until the volume goes up. If anyone is interested, I guess I can put up an EBAY storefront or something. I have 25 units ready and parts for about 2000 more when I get more PCBs. I'm not really sure how to go forward from here but, I think there is a small niche market of videophiles with a similar need for a solution like this. I apologize if this post is somewhat of a sales pitch but, I don't see any better way to reach other people that have this problem.
post #95 of 1200 Old 05-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMuecke View Post

I have been searching for a way so that I can use a standard universal IR remote to control the PS3 functions. Since I have the requisite USB skills, I finally decided to build my own solution. I made a small USB stick that receives Sony IR codes and puts out USB HID keyboard packets. It's a whopping 1.2" x 0.6" in size. And works great! Unfortunately, Sony doesn't seem to support USB remote wakeup or at least I haven't figured out how to make it work yet. This means that you can't turn on the PS3 via IR yet. There is no mapping for the PS button either. But I can map all of the other controller keys to the universal IR remote. It's still a work in progress though as I don't have a plastic cover yet.

Anyway, I happened to find this thread a while back in my search and wanted to see if there is still any interest in a solution of this sort. Like, is anybody interested in buying one? I was thinking of selling them for about $40 at first until the volume goes up. If anyone is interested, I guess I can put up an EBAY storefront or something. I have 25 units ready and parts for about 2000 more when I get more PCBs. I'm not really sure how to go forward from here but, I think there is a small niche market of videophiles with a similar need for a solution like this. I apologize if this post is somewhat of a sales pitch but, I don't see any better way to reach other people that have this problem.

I'd be interested but only if you can solve the wake up problem. If you can't solve the wake up problem then I still have to keep a controller by my chair and then I don't have as much of a desire for the IR solution.

PSN brakel

post #96 of 1200 Old 05-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds good, but it might be too much $$. I have a whopping 10 bucks in my PS2 remote/IR receiver and PS2 to USB adapter. It is not obtrusive - the USB plugs in, the wire goes around the back and the IR receiver is hidden inside my HT component rack.

The other problem is that it would be more than the BD remote, too.

If I were you, I would offer it to a manufacturer and take a lump sum for the design.

Good luck!
Jason.
post #97 of 1200 Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 AM

Well, what I want is a single control for everything, like a Harmony. Just buying the Bluetooth remote doesn't fix that problem. And I guess if everyone is happy with the Ps2 converter dongle solution, there won't be many people with this problem anymore so that's good. The $$$, well it could go down to the $10 range eventually if the volume was high enough. I am just wanting to recoup some of my investment by selling some to early adopters. I was thinking there was a bunch a people (like me) that were annoyed with this problem who regularly burn that kind of change just to try something out or be part of something new. But, it may not be like that. It was a fun project anyway. In the long run I want to build a web business selling gadgets for niche markets such as this. Since surviving Cancer, I have decided to re-invent my life where I can focus on doing stuff that is fun from now on and get out of the boring rut of working in a cubicle as a corporate drone! So, I retired and am living that dream. Viva the revolution!
post #98 of 1200 Old 05-16-2007, 12:11 PM

I was surprised that the PS3 didn't support a USB keyboard all that well. I should be able to plug in any USB keyboard and use the media keys such as FF, Play, and pause but it doesn't seem to work. It should also allow sleep and resume from the standard keys as well. Has anyone seen this work? Perhaps they will add this in a future firmware upgrade. I still think the PS3 is usefull just as a moderately priced BD player. If I were a kid, I would be pointing that out to Mom and Dad in hopes of getting one around the house. I wonder how many PS3s were bought for games anyway since there are not that many games available yet.
post #99 of 1200 Old 05-16-2007, 12:37 PM

$40 is pretty high considering one can use the IR dongle discussed in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847228 at least once (if) it becomes available for purchase in the US. With this new offering you can supposedly control the full XMB using your IR remote for less than $20.
post #100 of 1200 Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 AM

Great! That's what I was looking for a few months back. It doesn't turn on the power but who cares? You have to get up to put in a DVD anyway.
post #101 of 1200 Old 05-23-2007, 10:08 AM

As part of my project I built an IR sniffer and, I see what is happening with the arrow keys. The genuine sony PS2 remote sends the arrow sequence for both the Game controller and the generic Sony DVD, back to back. I can't imagine how anybody would get lucky enough to catch only the correct one. It's all down to luck since if you hold it down long enough to make sure you get the right code, you are in danger of either getting the wrong one, both, or more than 1 of a code. Since this looks like a new keypress, it would cause the arrow key learned to either, do nothing, work, or make multiple moves. Learning in raw mode would be extremely difficult. Sounds like some of us are very lucky!

With the built-in harmony commands, it only sends the DVD arrow codes.

The dongle I built works with the Harmony 1000 right out of the box. In fact, I even was able to enter Playstation 3 as the device and selected the "Game with built-in DVD". Works like a champ with no learning. It also works flawlessly with the newer PS2 IR remotes. It wasn't easy but... it's all working now.
post #102 of 1200 Old 05-23-2007, 02:50 PM

When I was cleaning my apartment today, I found the old IR receiver from my PS2 remote, which I haven't used in years (not since I dumped my error-prone old school PS2 for the slimline model when it came out), so I'm eager to take a crack at getting my Harmony 880 to control movie playback on the PS3 (especially with the upscaling firmware coming out tomorrow!). Problem: I can't find the old PS2 remote. Will I basically be OK using the PS2 codes in Logitech's online database, or do I absolutely, positively need the old remote to teach my Harmony certain signals? (Some of the posts in this thread make the arrow keys seem potentially problematic...)
post #103 of 1200 Old 05-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjnyc View Post

When I was cleaning my apartment today, I found the old IR receiver from my PS2 remote, which I haven't used in years (not since I dumped my error-prone old school PS2 for the slimline model when it came out), so I'm eager to take a crack at getting my Harmony 880 to control movie playback on the PS3 (especially with the upscaling firmware coming out tomorrow!). Problem: I can't find the old PS2 remote. Will I basically be OK using the PS2 codes in Logitech's online database, or do I absolutely, positively need the old remote to teach my Harmony certain signals? (Some of the posts in this thread make the arrow keys seem potentially problematic...)

I needed the PS2 remote. Give it a try without and see what happens! The hard thing to find is the IR receiver, so you can just buy the remote cheap, brand new, if you need it.
post #104 of 1200 Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:

The dongle I built works with the Harmony 1000 right out of the box. In fact, I even was able to enter Playstation 3 as the device and selected the "Game with built-in DVD". Works like a champ with no learning. It also works flawlessly with the newer PS2 IR remotes. It wasn't easy but... it's all working now.

Good job on figuring out the arrow keys.

Can you summarize exactly what functionality you have working? Is still only in DVD/BD playback or can you navigate the XMB?
post #105 of 1200 Old 05-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Well, I got all the other buttons mapped successfully to my 880, but the arrow keys aren't working, so I'll either keep digging for my old PS2 remote or buy one for $5 if they really are that cheap. UNLESS...MMuecke, if I'm reading your post right it sounds as if you *didn't* have to teach the remote any codes when you created the device as a PS3. Is that right? When I entered "PlayStation 3" as a model number, I got a warning that "your reomote can't control this device because it uses Bluetooth instead of IR blah blah..."
post #106 of 1200 Old 05-23-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:

As part of my project I built an IR sniffer and, I see what is happening with the arrow keys. The genuine sony PS2 remote sends the arrow sequence for both the Game controller and the generic Sony DVD, back to back. I can't imagine how anybody would get lucky enough to catch only the correct one. It's all down to luck since if you hold it down long enough to make sure you get the right code, you are in danger of either getting the wrong one, both, or more than 1 of a code. Since this looks like a new keypress, it would cause the arrow key learned to either, do nothing, work, or make multiple moves. Learning in raw mode would be extremely difficult. Sounds like some of us are very lucky!

With the built-in harmony commands, it only sends the DVD arrow codes.

MMuecke, I'm echoing a couple other requests here. Please summarize exactly what your device does. Does the dongle you built work with Harmony 880 right out of the box, too? It doesn't seem like it would be a bother, but it really is an irritant when watching a BD movie w/ my PS3, and using my Harmony 880, direction arrows effect 2-4 commands. Uggh. I sent you a PM early this am, don't know if you got it.
post #107 of 1200 Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjnyc View Post

Well, I got all the other buttons mapped successfully to my 880, but the arrow keys aren't working,

Yep, par for the course.
post #108 of 1200 Old 05-24-2007, 04:47 PM

Hello All,
I just noticed that I have XMB support now with the 1.8 firmware upgrade using my Harmony remote ,and an IR receiver from an original ps2 remote. Has anyone else noticed this? It is not useable yet because it seems to jerky. Hopefully someone will figure out the correct delay settings for the directional buttons.
Thanks,
post #109 of 1200 Old 05-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblenz View Post

Hello All,
I just noticed that I have XMB support now with the 1.8 firmware upgrade using my Harmony remote ,and an IR receiver from an original ps2 remote. Has anyone else noticed this? It is not useable yet because it seems to jerky. Hopefully someone will figure out the correct delay settings for the directional buttons.
Thanks,

I, too noticed this right away! I am happily using my 880 for everything now (except games, of course!) Mine works smoothly - read back for my advice on delays and learning the direction keys as RAW. A great benefit with the update since we can now access streaming media (I am using WMP 11).

Now if we could just figure out an IR command for PS

Good luck!
Jason.
post #110 of 1200 Old 05-24-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

I, too noticed this right away! I am happily using my 880 for everything now (except games, of course!) Mine works smoothly - read back for my advice on delays and learning the direction keys as RAW. A great benefit with the update since we can now access streaming media (I am using WMP 11).

Now if we could just figure out an IR command for PS

Good luck!
Jason.

Hey, Jason. Good for you (seriously). Glad you were able to get the direction keys to work without skipping. I tried 4-5 times in raw, and no luck. All still skips. Per MMuecke, "the Sony PS2 remote sends the arrow sequence for both the Game controller and the generic Sony DVD, back to back. I can't imagine how anybody would get lucky enough to catch only the correct one. It's all down to luck since if you hold it down long enough to make sure you get the right code, you are in danger of either getting the wrong one, both, or more than 1 of a code. Since this looks like a new keypress, it would cause the arrow key learned to either, do nothing, work, or make multiple moves. Learning in raw mode would be extremely difficult".

Your success, I don't believe, has anything to do with intrakey delays, or strength of IR signals. Just a bit of random luck. I'm going to try again, because this is frustrating when watching BD.

Cheers!
post #111 of 1200 Old 05-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

".

Your success, I don't believe, has anything to do with intrakey delays, or strength of IR signals. Just a bit of random luck. I'm going to try again, because this is frustrating when watching BD.

Cheers!

I agree, it was very frustrating. I actually held off buying the PS3 until the IR solution was announced - I am adamant about having one remote for everything. It took me a long time one night to get it to work. Did you try brand new batteries? This, combined with the REALLY FAST key press/release on the PS2 remote during learning is what did it for me. If I just ended up lucky, I am pretty happy.

Jason.
post #112 of 1200 Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

I'm going to try to create new IR codes off of this set:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/Sony_ps2.htm

I'm also having the jerkiness, skipping, whatever you want to call it with the directional buttons in the XMB and the command screen while watching BD. The directionals seem to be just fine during a BD, but not when I'm in the PS3 interface.

Learning from the remote is a PITA as it seems to save the code as a held down button rather than just a press.

Also, I find the codes at Remote Central don't work for me...and I have an official PS2 remote and dongle.

I'll follow up later with results, and if I have them, the HEX codes.

Ed
post #113 of 1200 Old 05-25-2007, 07:49 AM

The logic3 IR remote for PS3 work fine in BD mode and XMB mode.

Go to amazon co uk and search ps3 blu-ray dvd remote

I have just bought one.
post #114 of 1200 Old 05-25-2007, 07:50 AM

cool
post #115 of 1200 Old 05-25-2007, 07:56 AM

post #116 of 1200 Old 05-25-2007, 08:24 AM

mauros where are you based?

As I wrote in the thread you linked to, amazon.co.uk won't let me ship the Logic3 remote to the US.

Quote:

*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below. ( See geographical restrictions.) ***

I wrote to Logic3 using their US website and asked about availability, but they didn't respond.
post #117 of 1200 Old 05-25-2007, 08:25 AM

I'am italian.
post #118 of 1200 Old 05-25-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensph View Post

$40 is pretty high considering one can use the IR dongle discussed in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847228 at least once (if) it becomes available for purchase in the US. With this new offering you can supposedly control the full XMB using your IR remote for less than $20.

So does this unit mentioned in the above link provide anything (if yes what?) over the PS2 IR dongle/PS2 IR remote solution?
post #119 of 1200 Old 05-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauros View Post

I'am italian.

ah, lucky you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisztoforo View Post

So does this unit mentioned in the above link provide anything (if yes what?) over the PS2 IR dongle/PS2 IR remote solution?

It is supposed to provide XMB support, not just DVD/BD playback. It's still missing the PS button though.

However,
Quote:
Originally Posted by djblenz View Post

I just noticed that I have XMB support now with the 1.8 firmware upgrade using my Harmony remote ,and an IR receiver from an original ps2 remote.

maybe the PS2 solution will work just as well now.

Though using the Logic3 IR dongle may solve the arrow key usability issues.
post #120 of 1200 Old 05-25-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I dont' want to outfit my PS3 with old IR tech. I just want more companies (like the Harmony division of Logitech) to release some blu-ray supported remotes.

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu Ray Tier thread today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page