Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch42 View Post

I just ordered the ir4ps3. Ben the ir4ps3 guy was really quick at answering emails that I sent and shipped the following day. I cannot wait to check out this device.

Just got my ir4ps3 and I can say the quality of the product is really nice. Very easy to setup as long as you read the PDF that Ben sends you via email.

How long did it take to get to you after it shipped? Mine was sent out on Friday and I'm getting impatient. Stupid Post Office and their minimal tracking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I just got the nyco blu-wave today. I had my harmony 620 (720) set-up as game console with dvd and tried to make it learn IR and wasn't to happy with the results as some buttons weren't working and some other problems people mentioned. So what I did was deleted my first game console PS3. Next I selected add device. Select DVD. Then select nyco for manufacturer and model # which is on the back of the remote 83040-F09. Once I input this info harmony found it as Sony Playstation 3 Blu-wave. Now everything works perfect. No lag at all and everything works normal. Now I have one remote that controls it all and I'm very pleased. Not sure if this method was mentioned before but if not I hope this helps others out with a quick install.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:33 AM

I'm just curious, how do you turn the PS3 on and OFF?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMuecke View Post

You manually have to turn it on but you have to put in a disc most of the time anyway, so know big deal. To shut it off just scroll all the way to the left on the PS3 xmb and click turn off.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

Old 01-31-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverm3s View Post

You manually have to turn it on but you have to put in a disc most of the time anyway, so know big deal. To shut it off just scroll all the way to the left on the PS3 xmb and click turn off.

I bought the Nyko about 6 months ago and I havent had any issues with it. it does everything I need it to do. Very pleased...

Life is not what you think it is!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

The Nyko solution is decent if you don't plan on using the PS3 as a media server. Once you start using streaming media then the "I have to get up to put a disc in anyway" argument goes out the window. Also, I hate that it always takes controller slot 1 and you have to rely on the Triangle button for special features.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

The Nyko solution is decent if you don't plan on using the PS3 as a media server..

I would have to disagree with this, all of my music and videos are in a NAS and I havent had any issues with it. I can navigate and select anyfolder and/or get my music to stream without any issues. when it comes to playing BD and getting the functionallity I can acces all menus with the the "menu" button on my 880 I dont have to select the triangle button for anything unless I want to change the the audio application to bitstream or LPCM, but besides that there isnt much.

Quote:

Also, I hate that it always takes controller slot 1 and you have to rely on the Triangle button for special features.

the whole controller one thing isnt a big issue. when I want to watch a movie I dont need the controller at all, and when playing a game I usually turn the unit on with the controller anyways. I pick it up and turn it on and on I play the games. it usually get the slot one if done this way.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertBert View Post

I would have to disagree with this, all of my music and videos are in a NAS and I havent had any issues with it. I can navigate and select anyfolder and/or get my music to stream without any issues. when it comes to playing BD and getting the functionallity I can acces all menus with the the "menu" button on my 880 I dont have to select the triangle button for anything unless I want to change the the audio application to bitstream or LPCM, but besides that there isnt much.

the whole controller one thing isnt a big issue. when I want to watch a movie I dont need the controller at all, and when playing a game I usually turn the unit on with the controller anyways. I pick it up and turn it on and on I play the games. it usually get the slot one if done this way.

I was talking about turning the PS3 on and off with the remote. I also have a NAS connected to mine streaming Twonky. The point is that when streaming there is no reason to get up and turn your PS3 on by other means as you would with a DVD or BRD. This is where an IR to BT converter is a better solution than an IR to USB converter.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:

I was talking about turning the PS3 on and off with the remote. I also have a NAS connected to mine streaming Twonky. The point is that when streaming there is no reason to get up and turn your PS3 on by other means as you would with a DVD or BRD. This is where an IR to BT converter is a better solution than an IR to USB converter.

I guess you have a point there...

Old 02-13-2009, 08:39 AM

What Sony should have done was put an IR receiver on the back of the PS3 remote. Then it could have accepted IR signals from standard remotes and pass them on to the PS3. All you'd then need have to do was leave the PS3 remote in a convenient place line-of-sight with your viewing position.

Hopefully someone is reading this...
Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

What Sony should have done was to put an IR receiver on the PS3.

Your solution is sort of already out there, but not sold by Sony. You can get the PS3 Tooth Fairy and put the PS3 remote's guts into its case that has an IR receiver.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 AM

I use the Intec solution (similar to nyko blue-wave) the package I got came with a free HDMI cable and a free BR movie for $49.99. No, it won't turn the PS3 on, but I leave mine on 99% of the time anyways as I keep it folding@home. No lag or anything, works great...

PSN: Nada_BDK
Old 02-13-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:

What Sony should have done was to put an IR receiver on the PS3.

Your solution is sort of already out there, but not sold by Sony. You can get the PS3 Tooth Fairy and put the PS3 remote's guts into its case that has an IR receiver.

Well, yes, obviously they should have put IR receiver in the PS3 itself, but making a PS3 remote with an IR receiver built in is an easy solution for everyone who wants it.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:06 PM

I just bought nyko remote to work with my harmony 880 but I cannot figure out how to set up the 880 so that when I hit the power button it will turn off ps3. Can someone please tell me how to do it?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotelmania View Post

I just bought nyko remote to work with my harmony 880 but I cannot figure out how to set up the 880 so that when I hit the power button it will turn off ps3. Can someone please tell me how to do it?

You need to do this, which may take a call to Harmony support to set up: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15822712

Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Actually this is a better shut down macro to use. You will have to contact Harmony support by phone/email to get it set up, but it works great.

DirectionLeft Duration in milliseconds 1000
DirectionUp Duration in milliseconds 500
X
Pause for 500 milliseconds
X
Direction Down
X

Thanks to mspace for figuring out how to allow for shutdown after download completion.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Old 03-19-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensph View Post

Check this out:
"Logitech Harmony Adapter for PlayStation 3"

Nice, I was just gonna post that.

Of course, this happens 2 months after I finally break down and get an IR4PS3.

I wonder how much it will be. Anything over $50 would be too much I think.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 AM

I just got the new Madcow PS3 IR remote with USB dongle from dealextreme.com.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21183
It has ALL 15 controler buttons on the remote, including the PS key!
It works great and I used it to program my universal JP1 remote (URC-8910).
I uploaded my upgrade file to the JP1 file section for those that need it:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...e&file_id=6469
Hopefully these links are posted correctly.
I haven't seen other cheap IR remote solutions that include the PS button, so I think this may be a first.
I took a gamble and ordered it, I'm happy I did.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackashaq View Post

I just got the new Madcow PS3 IR remote with USB dongle from dealextreme.com.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21183
It has ALL 15 controler buttons on the remote, including the PS key!
It works great and I used it to program my universal JP1 remote (URC-8910).
I uploaded my upgrade file to the JP1 file section for those that need it:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...e&file_id=6469
Hopefully these links are posted correctly.
I haven't seen other cheap IR remote solutions that include the PS button, so I think this may be a first.
I took a gamble and ordered it, I'm happy I did.

Does the PS key turn on the system.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM

No, the USB ports aren't powered when the ps3 is off, so this is not possible with any of the ir usb dongles. You need a bluetooth based product to power on the ps3.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:26 AM

I have ordered one to check it out. I'm guessing it's a Chinese version (based on the rather bad english in the documentation). It's a great price! Too bad it has a butt ugly dongle though (IMHO). I can't imagine someone wanting that phalic symbol sticking out of their PS3. It's even worse looking than the BlueWave. LOL But as long as it helps more people solve their PS3 IR problem, it's a bonus. I think we can officially say that this market is well covered now.

Originally, we had the PS key working with the PS3IR-X1 but, unless we used Sony's USB vendor ID, the PS key was not enabled by the PS3 firmware. In other words, Sony purposefully blocks the use of the PS key for non Sony products. It will be interesting to see if they are using Sony's USB VID.

BTW, we have repeatedly tried to contact Sony to arrange for our VID to be added to the list of products with the PS key enabled. We have had no luck though.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:

I have ordered one to check it out. Obviously it's a Chinese version (based on the rather bad english in the documentation). It's a great price! Too bad it has a butt ugly dongle though. I can't imagine someone wanting that phalic symbol sticking out of their PS3. It's even worse looking than the BlueWave. LOL

Originally, we had the PS key working with the PS3IR-X1 but, unless we used Sony's USB vendor ID, the PS key was not enabled by the PS3 firmware. In other words, Sony purposefully blocks the use of the PS key for non Sony products. It will be interesting to see if they are using Sony's USB VID.

You are correct about the ugly dongle! And it's BIG. I'll need to get a USB hub to hide the thing more easily I'll check out the USB vendor ID later today...

I have since found out the remote signals are identical to the BigBen PS3 remote (BB 251548) sold in Europe and Asia. The BigBen remote and dongle are much nicer looking, and it also has the PS key. It seems to have been on the market for more than a year, but I never heard of it before.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:

You are correct about the ugly dongle! And it's BIG. I'll need to get a USB hub to hide the thing more easily I'll check out the USB vendor ID later today...

I have since found out the remote signals are identical to the BigBen PS3 remote (BB 251548) sold in Europe and Asia. The BigBen remote and dongle are much nicer looking, and it also has the PS key. It seems to have been on the market for more than a year, but I never heard of it before.

I have the Nyko and I have to say it wasnt very noticeable at all. it actually blended in with the PS3.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Here's the Vendor ID details from Windows XP:
HID\\VID_0738&PID_8821\\6&23B09182&0&0000

0738 is Mad Catz, though this is labelled MadCow
Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 PM

I got a PS3 for Christmas last year. I imagined I might game on it a bit, but the main reason for the purchase was blu-ray. I pulled out the remote, discovered it was bluetooth, packed everything up, and swapped it for a BDP-S300. I have a home theater master remote which I LOVE, and more importantly, the wife LOVES. Not being able to program the PS3 to run with the MX700 was a deal breaker.

Now I've got a CRAPPY Blu-ray only player that plays about 30% of blu-ray discs correctly. Did anyone figure out who was the A**hole who thought bluetooth was a good idea for this remote? He/she needs a good punch the face!

"Better to have loved a home theater and lost, then to have never had a home theater at all"
Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Liked: 11
I'm using my mx700 with my ps3 by using the ir4ps3 bluetooth adapter. Works great. I know it sucks ps3 doesn't have ir. I suspect they did it on purpose to encourage dedicated blue-ray player sales. Don't know really, but there are solutions out there.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbz View Post

I suspect they did it on purpose to encourage dedicated blue-ray player sales.

Sense game console manufacturers always make more money off the sell of games and console accessories then the actual console itself; I always suspected Sony did it to sell another accessory to people (their PS3 bluetooth remote).

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Old 07-15-2009, 10:56 AM

I can unequivacally say that the PS3IR-500 and the PS3IR-1000 are now the best solutions available. The PS3IR-500 is the least expensive Bluetooth solution by far. It looks the best, operates flawlessly, is always in stock for overnight delivery, and customer service is pleasant and readily available in the rare case that help is needed. Setup is easy since it automatically pairs with the PS3 within 2-3 seconds.

The PS3IR-1000 has these features and more including precise power sensing of the PS3 ON/OFF state via a cable. And you can control the PS3 via a simple program that provides easy configuration of the 12 internal macros and provides a virtual BD remote window on the PC so you can operate your PS3 via mouse clicks or via your own custom program. The device looks like a standard USB HID device so no drivers are required and the API is very easy to integrate into your PC based AV center. It also works fine with an Apple OSX based computer. The API is provided and has already been utilized by third party developers.

Both models are supported with configuration utilities that work right out of the box. Just run the small executable directly with no installation needed at all. It automatically updates the firmware on your device in less than a minute. There are no .NET or device drivers involved. It's like the good old days. It just simply works. In fact it runs just fine from a USB memory stick. For installers, the macro setup can be saved to a file for reuse on a later installation.

Hats off to everyone that has been providing solutions for this problem in the past. But finally there is a reasonably priced and professional product family available that make all of the earlier devices (including our own) look crude in comparison. It just took a while to get there.

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com