PS3 IR REMOTE - A solution for DVD remote play control - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1200 Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine is out for delivery so I'll post my thoughts nlt tomorrow on use with it and the Harmony 890 w/ RF extender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1200 Old 06-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Got 5 of them today by next day shipping, lol other 4 are for the bro's/cousins . Will pot my results
post #183 of 1200 Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 PM

I received my Nyko Blu Wave remote today and have all the buttons on that remote working now on my Harmony 880. It took several attempts to get the directional buttons working properly.

They first were "repeating" like others have reported for the PS2 DVD remote IR solution but after 3-5 re-learn attempts all are working fine. Everything but the directional buttons worked on the Harmony on first attempt .... just those darn directional buttons were pains to learn.

BTW. The learned directional buttons from the Nyko remote work both in the PS Menu modes and in the Bluray movie content menus/screens. I'm a happier campy now.

I have a PS2 DVD remote with IR + usb adapter dongle available. Email if interested... otherwise I'll put up on eBay this weekend.
post #184 of 1200 Old 06-20-2007, 06:43 PM

I'll go ahead and add my positive experience. I got my nyko remote today too (a day earlier than expected). I programmed my mx-500 and everything works great.

One of my directional buttons came out doubled too, I re-programmed it careful to just tap the button on the nyko remote and that took care of it. The nyko directional buttons must just repeat easily.

I also used a "low profile" usb extension cord on the PS3 and put the IR dongle in the back with one of my IR extender legs on the front of it. This worked great too, no prob with the extension. (my equipment is inset in the wall at the back of my home theater)

I'm sooo happy with this! Back to 1 remote!
post #185 of 1200 Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 PM

Sorry for the dumb question, but can someone explain how to setup this Nyko remote with the 890 remote? Why is this any different than the Sony remote? Where does the USB dongle go?
post #186 of 1200 Old 06-21-2007, 05:44 AM

I have what may be a dumb question, also. I am very interested in this solution, but how is life without the PS button? Do you find yourself frequently pulling out another controller to get the PS button? If you want to turn the system off or get back to the XMB while listening to music, you need the PS button. Do any of you find this cumbersome?
post #187 of 1200 Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooger54 View Post

Sorry for the dumb question, but can someone explain how to setup this Nyko remote with the 890 remote? Why is this any different than the Sony remote? Where does the USB dongle go?

It's not any different than the old PS2/USB adapter solution. It works the exact same. It sounds a little less cumbersome in terms of what needs to be plugged in to the USB, though. Not a problem for my system, as my PS3 sits on top of a component cabinet so I just run the long USB around the back and the the IR receiver is in the cabinet next to the amp. The programming is the same. Go for whatever you can find. I lucked into my PS2 controller with IR adapter, and the USB to PS adapter for about 15 dollars. Both were used at game stores. If I were to do it today, I would just order the new one because it is easy.

Quote:

I have what may be a dumb question, also. I am very interested in this solution, but how is life without the PS button? Do you find yourself frequently pulling out another controller to get the PS button? If you want to turn the system off or get back to the XMB while listening to music, you need the PS button. Do any of you find this cumbersome?

\\\\

Life is fine without the PS button. I never grab the controller unless I am playing a game. The PS3 turns on when I insert a DVD/BD, and I turn the PS3 off when I leave the room by touching the standby button. You don't need PS to get out of music, you use circle (going from memory here, but I am positive you can do it - I have with stored mp3s, and streaming from my PC).

Hope this helps,
Jason.
post #188 of 1200 Old 06-21-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quick update with my use of the IR receiver with my Harmony 890 w/ RF extender. The BD and DVD navigation works like a charm - with all BD disk navigation working perfectly. I am unable to use it to navigate through the main menu system of the PS3 however. As others have stated it moves in large 'chunks' with the directional buttons in that menu system - but doesn't in BD disk menus for some reason. I need to reprogram the directional buttons and see if that helps, but thus far that's not working. For BD playback though, it works spectacularly - and if I never get the other figured out it will still be worth it for me.
post #189 of 1200 Old 06-21-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

Life is fine without the PS button. I never grab the controller unless I am playing a game. The PS3 turns on when I insert a DVD/BD, and I turn the PS3 off when I leave the room by touching the standby button. You don't need PS to get out of music, you use circle (going from memory here, but I am positive you can do it - I have with stored mp3s, and streaming from my PC).

Hey Jason, you may know this, but I turn off the PS3 when gaming by always hitting the PS button on my controller, and choose turn system off. The only time I touch the standby button is when I've finished watching a BD.
post #190 of 1200 Old 06-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Any other sources for the Nyko Blu Wave? Seems amazon, buy.com and newegg are tapped out.
Thanks,
-Alex-
post #191 of 1200 Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makomachine View Post

Quick update with my use of the IR receiver with my Harmony 890 w/ RF extender. The BD and DVD navigation works like a charm - with all BD disk navigation working perfectly. I am unable to use it to navigate through the main menu system of the PS3 however. As others have stated it moves in large 'chunks' with the directional buttons in that menu system - but doesn't in BD disk menus for some reason. I need to reprogram the directional buttons and see if that helps, but thus far that's not working. For BD playback though, it works spectacularly - and if I never get the other figured out it will still be worth it for me.

I had the repeating problem with two directions on my mx-500 remote. re-programming carefully only tapping the direction on the nyko remote solved the issue.
post #192 of 1200 Old 06-21-2007, 03:00 PM

I did some experimenting regarding the PS button and so far it seems that 'turn off' capability is possible using only USB connection. (I have an early prototype PS3 controller that doesn't have bluetooth in it). So theoritically IR-USB dongles can be made to take advantage of this.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to 'turn on' the PS3 using this controller. I'm not very familiar with USB programming, but I'll try to capture the raw USB codes to see what is being passed during 'turn off'. Any suggestions on software/how to?
post #193 of 1200 Old 06-21-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Argh. Newegg voided my order.

Maybe time to build the contraption... probably just keep going with the bluetooth remote and hope Sony or something one else comes out with something more... integrated. A "dongle" to plug into the 4th port (farthest to the right) that huggged the chassis would be best.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #194 of 1200 Old 06-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie 1.8 View Post

Hey Jason, you may know this, but I turn off the PS3 when gaming by always hitting the PS button on my controller, and choose turn system off. The only time I touch the standby button is when I've finished watching a BD.

As I said, "I never grab the controller unless I am playing a game." Guess how I turn it off when I am done playing?
post #195 of 1200 Old 06-21-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:

As I said, "I never grab the controller unless I am playing a game." Guess how I turn it off when I am done playing?

But when watching a BD, I must physically press the PS3 standby...
post #196 of 1200 Old 06-22-2007, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Newegg voided my order too. Odd since as far as I know I was one of the first ones to order.

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #197 of 1200 Old 06-22-2007, 08:41 AM

It appears that the IR remote defaults to the contoller 1 position and the game controller gets the 2 position. So when you want to use the game controller to play a game you have to go to the contoller setup screen to change the game controller back to the 1 position to access the game. Not a huge deal but anyone know if you can default the IR remote to the 2 position so that you don't have to change the game contoller each time?
post #198 of 1200 Old 06-22-2007, 09:53 AM

for those with harmonys, is there a way to upload your codes for others to download?
post #199 of 1200 Old 06-22-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried the MCE IR USB extender from my old VAIO and that didn't work, either, unfortunately. On an amusing note, it did turn on my 360, though. I wonder if Harmony is working on their own thing... Have any of the USB IR dongles for PC's proven to work or not?

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #200 of 1200 Old 06-22-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
So can someone tell me, does that Blu-wave remote bring up the pop-up menu etc, or not? I seem to be reading conflicting reports.

Also, I have the Playstation 2 IR remote (with the dongle), and a USB -> PSX adapter, but for some reason it's REALLY laggy, so much so that I press a directional button on the XMB and nothing happens, or it zooms across all the icons. Just clearly not working correctly. Is my USB adapter just buggy, or is this a common complaint? I also found the IR adapter conflicted with my playing the Hot Shots Golf demo. Some weird lag/non responsiveness from my SIXAXIS controller with the USB adapter plugged in.

Thanks all.
post #201 of 1200 Old 06-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

So can someone tell me, does that Blu-wave remote bring up the pop-up menu etc, or not? I seem to be reading conflicting reports.

Also, I have the Playstation 2 IR remote (with the dongle), and a USB -> PSX adapter, but for some reason it's REALLY laggy, so much so that I press a directional button on the XMB and nothing happens, or it zooms across all the icons. Just clearly not working correctly. Is my USB adapter just buggy, or is this a common complaint?

Find my post on page three (I think) on how I fixed this with my setup.
post #202 of 1200 Old 06-22-2007, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Find my post on page three (I think) on how I fixed this with my setup.

Thank you for this. Will report back!
post #203 of 1200 Old 06-23-2007, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I just cannot get this IR receiver thing to work properly. Not only does it re-map my controllers to port 2 when they turn on, but it actually interferes with games as well. Some games work fine (Resistance, for example), but others such as the Hot Shots Golf 5 demo are actually unplayable. For some reason, the controller doesn't respond correctly with the IR plugged in.

Oh well. Thanks anyway, guys.
post #204 of 1200 Old 06-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I just cannot get this IR receiver thing to work properly. Not only does it re-map my controllers to port 2 when they turn on, but it actually interferes with games as well. Some games work fine (Resistance, for example), but others such as the Hot Shots Golf 5 demo are actually unplayable. For some reason, the controller doesn't respond correctly with the IR plugged in.

Oh well. Thanks anyway, guys.

The controller defaulting to "2" is a known issue that we all have. Sony has no solution for it. The only answer is to press PS and reassign the controller to "1". I haven't had any issues with the IR setup interfering with games, but I don't have Hot Shots Golf. I will try and DL it to see if I have the same problem.
post #205 of 1200 Old 06-23-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
i don't see any Audio, Subtitle, Pop Up Menu buttons on the Nyko's picture, do these buttons exist?
post #206 of 1200 Old 06-23-2007, 12:27 PM
MoG

Hi,
I just ordered the Nyko IR remote for my PS3 for use with my Harmony 880.
  1. What device should I select when programming my 880?
  2. Has someone created a custom device for the Nyko PS3 remote we can select that will save us having to program the directional buttons?

Thanks!

snagabag.com - just a click away
post #207 of 1200 Old 06-23-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

i don't see any Audio, Subtitle, Pop Up Menu buttons on the Nyko's picture, do these buttons exist?

At this point think of the Blue Wave remote as just an IR transformation of the sixaxis controller. There's no audio or subtitle button, you'd use the triangle button on the remote to access those functions (I hope this will change in the future, but I'm not counting on it). The menu is accessible with the square button on the remote.
post #208 of 1200 Old 06-23-2007, 06:55 PM

"So can someone tell me, does that Blu-wave remote bring up the pop-up menu etc, or not? I seem to be reading conflicting reports."

Yes, there is a Menu button and so far depending on how the BD was programmed it has taken me to the pop-up menu but I can't attest exactly if this works 100% of the time ... you'll either end up with pop-up or the top menu... but my experience so far with my BD titles is pop-up. As mentioned by others, subtitles, audio, and other features you must go through the TRIANGLE (options) menu to adjust.

However, I think there is a way to get those feature to be direct IR changable if someone could figure out what the IR codes are ... the Sony BD remote has these button on it so "direct changing" of these features is possible if someone could just understand what IR codes correspond to those features.
post #209 of 1200 Old 06-24-2007, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakessler View Post

the Sony BD remote has these button on it so "direct changing" of these features is possible if someone could just understand what IR codes correspond to those features.

But the Sony remote doesn't use IR. What makes you so certain that IR codes exist?
post #210 of 1200 Old 06-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Here's a dumb question....

I have a USB IR receiver that came with my HP HTPC. Can I use that - and the codes from the Nyko remote?

Sony KDS-60A2000
Onkyo 805 (w/ Speaker Popping)
PS3
Mission Front - Bi-Amped
M&K Center
Klipsch Surround
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page