720p HDTV owners, DO NOT UPGRADE TO 1.3 until you've read this - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 128 Old 01-27-2007, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PS3, hooked up to to a Samsung 1080p DLP, via HDMI (actually though a switchable HDMI Denon Surround Sound receiver). The unit plays Blu-ray disks wonderfully, and also plays Tiger Woods golf, and NHL Hockey, which I guess are both 720p games. For some reason, when I load NBA07, it runs through the title and legal disclaimers, shows the logos and says it's loading..then the machine hangs, the screen goes blank, and I have to reboot. I've exchanged the game thrice, and actually had the Best Buys store play the game on their demo setup..It worked! But, I noticed they were using a 720p LCD display, not 1080p like my setup. When I called Sony Technical support, they had me reset the system, and that didn't work. By the way, I did download the system upgrade (was required to, in order to go online). Their answer now is to send them the system for replacement or repair, but I don't want to do that. I also don't think a different PS3 will fix the problem, as this sounds like some sort of 1080p scaling problem. Anyone out there have a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 Old 03-18-2007, 09:17 AM

Sorry for digging this thread up from the dead here lol

but i had a quick question regarding my ps3...it seems that i do have that issue where my games are all played in 720p no problems however, when i put in a blu ray movie it will then just kick up to 1080i and i have no way of making it stay at 720p

so i assume with the current firmware updates it still doesnt fix this problem??

also when i try to force it to use 720p i get bumped back down to 480p

do you guys ever think that they would solve this problem someday?

also at the moment i have firmware 1.10 should i upgrade or leave it until they have a fix for it? thanks
post #123 of 128 Old 03-18-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Edit: The post above mine has been deleted...

PS your screen might be the issue here. After all the bravias are PROBLEM FREE! Full 1080p also!
post #124 of 128 Old 03-18-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznblitz View Post

Sorry for digging this thread up from the dead here lol

but i had a quick question regarding my ps3...it seems that i do have that issue where my games are all played in 720p no problems however, when i put in a blu ray movie it will then just kick up to 1080i and i have no way of making it stay at 720p

so i assume with the current firmware updates it still doesnt fix this problem??

also when i try to force it to use 720p i get bumped back down to 480p

do you guys ever think that they would solve this problem someday?

also at the moment i have firmware 1.10 should i upgrade or leave it until they have a fix for it? thanks

Nope, the latest firmware won't help you there. If you don't play games or visit the PS store there's probably not any real need for you to update. Blu-rays at 720p should be an easy fix and I can't think of a reason why thay wouldn't want to allow it, so it'll probably happen at some point.
post #125 of 128 Old 03-18-2007, 12:28 PM

Liked: 11
you guys relieze that ALL blu ray is a 1080i format? some players then double to 1080p and output that. some output 1080i like HD DVD and the tv then doubles it to 1080p (if its a 1080p tv) end result, SAME THING. you just decieding where the conversion is happening, ps3 or tv.

SO for all you whiners with 720p's. if all the Blu rays are in 1080i, and the end result must be 720p.....read this carefully....THE CONVERSION MUST HAPPEN SOMEWHERE. wether its in the player or in the tv, it makes no difference. if you have a old 720p or you bought a POS 720p, then its possible that the scaler in the ps3 is better, but if your tv is worth its weight and somewhat descent, it makes NO DIFFERENCE

i swear some of you guys just find a excuse to whine. its like all the guys whining that there tv only accepts 1080i then converts, or HD DVD only outputs 1080i, its the same freaking thing, just changing where the doubling / conversion happens.

to many people who dont understand have to open there mouth.
post #126 of 128 Old 03-18-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

1080p, 1080i over analog. It support 24p, DTS, HD and Dolby Digital, Mpeg2, and AC1
post #127 of 128 Old 03-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post

you guys relieze that ALL blu ray is a 1080i format? some players then double to 1080p and output that. some output 1080i like HD DVD and the tv then doubles it to 1080p (if its a 1080p tv) end result, SAME THING. you just decieding where the conversion is happening, ps3 or tv.

SO for all you whiners with 720p's. if all the Blu rays are in 1080i, and the end result must be 720p.....read this carefully....THE CONVERSION MUST HAPPEN SOMEWHERE. wether its in the player or in the tv, it makes no difference. if you have a old 720p or you bought a POS 720p, then its possible that the scaler in the ps3 is better, but if your tv is worth its weight and somewhat descent, it makes NO DIFFERENCE

i swear some of you guys just find a excuse to whine. its like all the guys whining that there tv only accepts 1080i then converts, or HD DVD only outputs 1080i, its the same freaking thing, just changing where the doubling / conversion happens.

to many people who dont understand have to open there mouth.

Dude bluray is 1080p 24 fps or 1080i 50/60fps ..depending on the player and according to wikipedia.com

There is suppose to be a PS3 firmware update to support 1080p at 24fps...Supposely this will be in the March update this week on the 23rd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluray

Both HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc support the 24p (traditional movie) frame rate, but technical implementations of this mode are different between the formats. Blu-ray Disc supports 24p with its native timing, while HD DVD uses 60i timing for 24p (encoded progressively, replacing missing fields with "repeat field flags"). Decoders can ignore the flags to output 24p.[33] There is no impact on picture resolution or storage space as a result of this, as the HD DVD format uses the same video information it simply adds notational overhead.

Playstation Network Name: Aiphanes
Warhawk Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Resistance Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Folding@home Team 56396

Knights of Halfbros Team STATS
post #128 of 128 Old 03-28-2007, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post

you guys relieze that ALL blu ray is a 1080i format?

Do you realize that you are completely wrong (and cannot spell worth a damn)? Blu Ray as well as HD-DVD is 1080p. Some televisions can only accept 1080i, but native resolution on the two next gen disc formats is 1080p. Get your facts straight.

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu Ray Tier thread today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page