Mac OS X on the PS3? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How many of you would like that?
I would love that! 32 69.57%
I don't care. 9 19.57%
Hell, no! 5 10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I heard something interesting today...

I think it's total BS, but...I can't resist spreading rumors.

How many of you would like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

only if we get a matching sixaxis controller with one button

"ANYONE who pc games that doesn't have a 360 controller for pc use, well frankly isn't a gamer at all."
post #3 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty L View Post

Oh that had me in tears, good one!

360 - Meancode
PS3 - Meancode
Wii - 1099 5090 9118 8604
post #4 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm...I don't think it would be all that hot unless they do make a higher end PS3 or the 'built to order' that's been mentioned a few times with a lot more RAM. Bottom line, more ram I think is needed to operate as a personal computer efficiently regardless of the OS.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
post #5 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Heh, good luck running Mac os on less than 256 mb of ram and having no gpu. That'll be a lot of fun, you may even start up the os and look at the really cool desktop run at 5 fps. Yeaahhhh!
post #6 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty L View Post

Hmm, that would hard to match Apple current two button mouse and scroll wheel mouse design. Unless it's a tired old PC jab?
post #7 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

OMG I never thought about that however I would be very surprised if one could get OSX to work on the PS3.
OSX is a far superior OS to XP but from a hardware stanpoint I'm starting to thing Mac hardware is pretty lousy from a failure rate standpoint. My Imac failed once and my Macbook went in the shop twice for separate issues.
post #8 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I would go for that,.. If it worked well. I know Macs don't make good HTPC's in general but on the PS3 maybe things would be different.

-Brian
post #9 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 02:24 PM

Doc...that's the first time I hear that. I have an ad agency and I have about 2 dozen macs. Some as old as 7 years old (using them as web servers and file servers).

I've had 2 drives go bad and no computer has had to go to the graveyard (I even have an old 8100 that is sitting on a shelf that still works if I plug it in). While I don't have an iMac, I do have a PB G4 that is used every single day and is still purring along.

Yet the PC's that we use for accounting (little heavy use) have gone bad (drives and for who knows what reason a mother board). I only have 1 PC here to handle accounting and I've had to upgrade it every two years because something usually fails (started with a Dell, then moved to HP, finally I gave up and just bought a Fry's made computer that so far is working flawlessly after 8 mos.).

I have always felt that Apple not only designed their systems better, but always used better components. I wonder if that has changes now that they have made some inexpensive systems. I hope not.

post #10 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Even if someone cracked OS X for the PS3, it will not work well at all. The cell processor's PPE performs worse than a single core 1.6GHz G5. Why? To lower costs, IBM disabled out of order execuction. And seeing as how OS X wouldn't even touch the SPEs, you are left with a fairly weak machine. To top it off, 200 mb of ram? I say 200 because from what I've seen, that is how much is available to other OS, not 256 (I may be wrong.)

Simply put, the PS3 can't handle it.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then defeat you with experience.
post #11 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Apple is releasing their iTV next year. Macworld in January will hopefully covered a lot of details. It's also rumored that Apple has licensed tivo to make the iTV a DVR.

For those unfamiliar with the iTV. It is supposed to work like front row for the macs and be able to stream HD content from any mac. It has digital audio out, component and HDMI out as well. If apple can integrate a DVR that would be spectacular. Mix in the beautiful front row appearance as a DVR and be able to stream music and video from your Mac.
post #12 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I know Macs don't make good HTPC's in general ...

-Brian

The people on the Mac HTPC forum here would mostly disagree with that... A lot depends on exactly what "HTPC" means to a given individual, too.

Doug
post #13 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devax View Post

Doc...that's the first time I hear that. I have an ad agency and I have about 2 dozen macs. Some as old as 7 years old (using them as web servers and file servers).

I've had 2 drives go bad and no computer has had to go to the graveyard (I even have an old 8100 that is sitting on a shelf that still works if I plug it in). While I don't have an iMac, I do have a PB G4 that is used every single day and is still purring along.

Yet the PC's that we use for accounting (little heavy use) have gone bad (drives and for who knows what reason a mother board). I only have 1 PC here to handle accounting and I've had to upgrade it every two years because something usually fails (started with a Dell, then moved to HP, finally I gave up and just bought a Fry's made computer that so far is working flawlessly after 8 mos.).

I have always felt that Apple not only designed their systems better, but always used better components. I wonder if that has changes now that they have made some inexpensive systems. I hope not.

I agree when talking about the older macs but I think that has changed with the price drops. Either that or I just have a had a run of bad luck. I was in graphic arts for 18 years and I never had any real issues with macs until now.
Unfortunately the Macbooks have a lot of known problems with freezing, overheating, and external staining to the case.
post #14 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post

Heh, good luck running Mac os on less than 256 mb of ram and having no gpu. That'll be a lot of fun, you may even start up the os and look at the really cool desktop run at 5 fps. Yeaahhhh!

No one says there would be no GPU.
And no one says it would be plain vanilla OS X.
post #15 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

No one says there would be no GPU.
And no one says it would be plain vanilla OS X.

Doesn't matter, there aren't any drivers. Even if there were, the PS3 can't handle OS X. You'll spend 5 minutes waiting for it to boot. 200 mb of ram? You would get more performance out of a 200 dollar PC.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then defeat you with experience.
post #16 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrii View Post

Even if someone cracked OS X for the PS3, it will not work well at all. The cell processor's PPE performs worse than a single core 1.6GHz G5. Why? To lower costs, IBM disabled out of order execuction. And seeing as how OS X wouldn't even touch the SPEs, you are left with a fairly weak machine. To top it off, 200 mb of ram? I say 200 because from what I've seen, that is how much is available to other OS, not 256 (I may be wrong.)

Simply put, the PS3 can't handle it.

You are missing the point.

What if Sony and Apple collaborated to make this possible?

Sony has that great hardware, but they don't have iTunes and they don't have an extremely popular music and video store.

Apple has that great software and an extremely popular music and video store, but doesn't have any video game hardware or living room appliance, Trojan thingamabob.

Apple wants to re-enter the video game industry.

Steve Jobs likes to throw wrenches in Bill's way.

Microsoft supports HD-DVD. Apple supports Blu-ray.

There could be a symbiotic relationship between Sony and Apple.
post #17 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You are missing the point.

What if Sony and Apple collaborated to make this possible?

Sony has that great hardware, but they don't have iTunes and they don't have an extremely popular music and video store.

Apple has that great software and an extremely popular music and video store, but doesn't have any video game hardware or living room appliance, Trojan thingamabob.

Apple wants to re-enter the video game industry.

Steve Jobs likes to throw wrenches in Bill's way.

Microsoft supports HD-DVD. Apple supports Blu-ray.

There could be a symbiotic relationship between Sony and Apple.

If you haven't noticed, Sony is Apple's biggest competition. Contrary to popular belief, Apple's main product is the Ipod, not computers. They generate more profit than any other section.

Also, how is this related to the gaming industry? OS X on the PS3 isn't related to gaming at all. What the heck does OS X on the PS3 have to do with gaming?

To top it off, even if hell froze over and Apple decided to support the PS3, the PS3 can't handle OS X as it is. It would have to be stripped down to it's core. In that case, why not use BSD since that is what OS X is, a BSD based OS. Do you have any idea how long it would take to optimize OS X to use SPEs? Years. Besides, Apple is moving away from PowerPC. Pretty soon they will drop PowerPC support and focus all their attention on Intel.

post #18 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you haven't noticed, Sony is Apple's biggest competition. Contrary to popular belief, Apple's main product is the Ipod, not computers. They generate more profit than any other section.

Also, how is this related to the gaming industry? OS X on the PS3 isn't related to gaming at all. What the heck does OS X on the PS3 have to do with gaming?

To top it off, even if hell froze over and Apple decided to support the PS3, the PS3 can't handle OS X as it is. It would have to be stripped down to it's core. In that case, why not use BSD since that is what OS X is, a BSD based OS. Do you have any idea how long it would take to optimize OS X to use SPEs? Years. Besides, Apple is moving away from PowerPC. Pretty soon they will drop PowerPC support and focus all their attention on Intel.

1. Calm down. You don't work for Microsoft, you don't need to take this possibility so seriously.

2. Partnerships always involve some give and take. Sony would love to see OS X on the PS3. Apple could use the PS3 as a medium to a market they can't reach.

3. If a Mac Mini can run OS X, don't tell me the PS3 couldn't run a light version of OS X.
post #19 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. Calm down. You don't work for Microsoft, you don't need to take this possibility so seriously.

2. Partnerships always involve some give and take. Sony would love to see OS X on the PS3. Apple could use the PS3 as a medium to a market they can't reach.

3. If a Mac Mini can run OS X, don't tell me the PS3 couldn't run a light version of OS X.

1.) I am calm, I just like to argue I guess it comes out rather aggressive online...Don't take it seriously

2.) They would end up losing money. It would cost millions and millions to make OS X work on the PS3.

3.) Hate to tell you this, but currently, the Mac mini blows the Playstation 3 out of the water. The PS3's processor gets outperformed by a 1.6 Ghz G5. The Mac mini has a 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo. Each core outperforms a 1.6 G5...In the end, the Mac Mini has 2-3X more general computing power than the Cell processor's PPE. Not to mention that the mac mini comes with a minimum of 512 MB.

To play devil's advocate, OS X would run a lot nicer on the Xbox 360 since the OS wouldn't have to change much since there aren't any SPEs. OS X would actually utilize all 3 cores. Mac mini would still outperform the Xbox 360 since both consoles use in order execution.

post #20 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1.) I am calm, I just like to argue I guess it comes out rather aggressive online...Don't take it seriously

2.) They would end up losing money. It would cost millions and millions to make OS X work on the PS3.

3.) Hate to tell you this, but currently, the Mac mini blows the Playstation 3 out of the water. The PS3's processor gets outperformed by a 1.6 Ghz G5. The Mac mini has a 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo. Each core outperforms a 1.6 G5...In the end, the Mac Mini has 2-3X more general computing power than the Cell processor's PPE. Not to mention that the mac mini comes with a minimum of 512 MB.

To play devil's advocate, OS X would run a lot nicer on the Xbox 360 since the OS wouldn't have to change much since there aren't any SPEs. OS X would actually utilize all 3 cores. Mac mini would still outperform the Xbox 360 since both consoles use in order execution.

1. OK, cool. Love to argue too.

2. Ah, come on...the PPE is a tweaked PowerPC core...and writing a couple of device drivers wouldn't cost that much at all...

3. The specs of the first Mac Mini:

1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 processor, 256 MB RAM, and 40 GB hard drive
ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card with 32 MB (!!!) of video RAM

And it did run Mac OS X version 10.3 quite well.

Now, now, now...what say you?
post #21 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. OK, cool. Love to argue too.

2. Ah, come on...the PPE is a tweaked PowerPC core...and writing a couple of device drivers wouldn't cost that much at all...

3. The specs of the first Mac Mini:

1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 processor, 256 MB RAM, and 40 GB hard drive
ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card with 32 MB (!!!) of video RAM

And it did run Mac OS X version 10.3 quite well.

Now, now, now...what say you?

1.) Glad too hear that

2.) Tweaked? Uhhh, no...More like stripped. The PPE is around 60% less powerful than a normal PowerPC core. Aside from not having out-of-order execution, branch prediction has been slightly reduced as well.

3.) Believe it or not, a 1.25 Ghz G4 can still compete with the stripped PPE core. The PS3's PPE might have a slight edge in some tasks, but for the most part, they are almost even.If you introduce multiple applications at once, the G4 mac mini will most likely outperform the Cell PPE. Also, while the mac mini worked with 256 mb of ram ,it was pretty slow. 512 was the minimum which most users got.Besides, 256 is still more than 200 mb OS X loves ram. 256 Mb on OS X is a joke.

post #22 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1.) Glad too hear that

2.) Tweaked? Uhhh, no...More like stripped. The PPE is around 60% less powerful than a normal PowerPC core. Aside from not having out-of-order execution, branch prediction has been slightly reduced as well.

3.) Believe it or not, a 1.25 Ghz G4 can still compete with the a stripped PPE core. The PS3's PPE might have a slight edge in some tasks, but for the most part, they are almost even.If you introduce multiple applications at once, the G4 mac mini will most likely outperform the Cell PPE. Also, while the mac mini worked with 256 mb of ram ,it was pretty slow. 512 was the minimum which most users got.Besides, 256 is still more than 200 mb OS X loves ram. 256 Mb on OS X is a joke.

OK, I can't sell it to you.

Damn, I need to take those Power Spin classes!
post #23 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK, I can't sell it to you.

Damn, I need to take those Power Spin classes!

Nice try through Had IBM and Sony decided to include out of order execution in the PS3's Cell, It would have completely blown the Xbox 360 away. But hey, then you would be stuck paying 900+ dollars for a PS3.

post #24 of 26 Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devax View Post

Same here, I've been using macs for years and have never had a piece of Apple hardware fail on me. A drive here and there but those are not Apple products and can be swapped out fairly easily. I've always had excellent with both their software and hardware.

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu Ray Tier thread today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
post #25 of 26 Old 01-08-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I think the problem is not so much that it cant be done, but if you did do it why will people buy it?

Linux is already capable on the PS3, and its free and its like nobody cares. Evenhere and you guys ARE the techieguys. The technical guys have already spoken up about the RAM and GPU limitations of the PS3.. so exactly what type of performance can you expect from running another operating system on the PS3.

While its nice to be able to say OSx will run on a PS3. Somewhere down the line somebody has to pay for it. And how many people do you think are interested in running Apple's operating system on a video console. Then take that number and ask yourself how many people are willing to pay to do that.

Not to mention what are you accomplishing here. I guess because I'm not a Mac user I cant see the benefit. But thats just thing most people arent Mac users. You are taking a niche operating system and putting it on what is so far a niche product.. the PS3.

I think Sony & Apple would be better off applying their combined knowledge somewhere else. Maybe with Apple helping to redesign the interface of the PS3 to be more user friendly.. like most Apple products already are.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #26 of 26 Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Ken Kutaragi stated in a recent interview that the PlayStation 3 would have no difficulties running Apple's Mac OS X (Tiger) or Linux operating systems giving some truth to another one of his claims: PS3 is a computer not a console.

to the PS3, an OS is like any other application[however] I think that perhaps you'll see a general purpose Cell [built-in] OS, Kutaragi said

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...f-running-os-x

although this was when PS3 was still in development.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page