Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-09-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey all!
I finally picked up a PS3 at a local target and have been messing around with it lately, playing motorstorm and watching blu ray movies. I have it sitting on top of my HD DVD player, at the bottom of my A/V rack. (i know there is some irony somewhere there) ;) The A/V rack has a typical glass door and cardboard-like backing and even though their is about 11 inches of free space for air flow above it, about an hour into a movie, the PS3 fan revs up so high that it rivals the 360's fan. The right side of the PS3 is quite hot, and the HD DVD Player underneath gets pretty hot too.

This hasnt presented a problem until tonight when watching Ice Age 2, and the video froze up at the squirrel and the baby vulture part. I could bring up the BR specs and the PS3 remote display but i couldnt get the BR to respond nor exit to the PS3 main menu.

Is this because its not cooled enough or just a normal early technology hiccup?

I am out of shelfing for this rack or else it would be on it own shelf, and i would prefer not to cut out the back cardboard for vents because im concerned about cutting wires on accident and dont want the ugly look of no backing, with no component to cover it up.

Any ideas?

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
did you update it to 1.3 firmware?

Panasonic 50PV70 Plasma - Sony Bravia KDF-E50A10 - Sony PS3 - Pioneer NS-DV990 - BSky HD -
post #3 of 11 Old 12-09-2006, 06:48 PM

I dont think that should be a problem since mine is in a much more confined space than that and I havent had any trouble.

Mine is also on top of my HD DVD Player inside a TV Stand compartment (wood with glass door). It has just about 3 inches of free space above, 2 inches to the left, 4 inches to the right (where the 360 Power brick is) and I havent noticed any trouble even with hours of use (movies/games/downloading).

Mine also doesnt get hot even after a lengthy use, so I'm not sure what might be causing yours to. Is the cardboard backing on yours completely closed off? Mine only has cardboard backing on the left and right 3-4 inches (and its about 18 inches wide). If yours is completely covered and the glass door is shut, thats where the problem might be.

Another guess would just be the disc itself having an issue.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-09-2006, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf
did you update it to 1.3 firmware?
yep. first thing out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofdec7
I dont think that should be a problem since mine is in a much more confined space than that and I havent had any trouble.

Mine is also on top of my HD DVD Player inside a TV Stand compartment (wood with glass door). It has just about 3 inches of free space above, 2 inches to the left, 4 inches to the right (where the 360 Power brick is) and I havent noticed any trouble even with hours of use (movies/games/downloading).

Mine also doesnt get hot even after a lengthy use, so I'm not sure what might be causing yours to. Is the cardboard backing on yours completely closed off? Mine only has cardboard backing on the left and right 3-4 inches (and its about 18 inches wide). If yours is completely covered and the glass door is shut, thats where the problem might be.

yes my backing goes all the way up. I have tried to keep all the wires away from the back vents best they can. I have a switch to the left of the PS3 but its behind it and out of the way of any of the vents.. I have it favoring to the left because that side doesnt seem to be an issue and has no venting that i could see.

with the space taht you have, would you say that you can hear the fan speed increase with your long uses? i had RFOM lock up on me when it was doing the initial setup data to the hard drive. I reset it on the back of the ps3 and tried it again with no issues.

here is a pic of my exact setup:
LL

My DVD Collection
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-09-2006, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like your current setup is not working for your PS3. Perhaps you might wanna consider a small quiet fan within that space to keep air circulating. Of course if the air around the AV rack is already hot to begin with, then you might have a problem.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #6 of 11 Old 12-09-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well i had another BR freeze. this time at the 1:12 mark of Xmen 2. same problem as before. I couldnt get the BR to respond, but i was able to reset the PS3 using the controller. seems like its more of a BR playback issue then a heat issue because my glass door was open during the movie.

i think tomorrow I figure out a way to make a hole in the cardboard without accidentally cutting the wires on the other side. :)

My DVD Collection
post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2006, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It sounds like ventilation is definitely an issue. Same reason a lot of kiosks seem to freeze up.

Think computer case design. Try to cut two holes into the back cardboard and install a fan on the bottom blowing in, and a fan on the top blowing out. Probably the easiest way to go would be to get a couple computer fans and a 9V AC adapter from Radio Shack. Splice both the fans into the power supply and plug it in.

Or you could find a place outside the AV cabinet for the PS3.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofdec7

I'm surprised to hear you say this as I have 8 inches of clearance on both sides, 4 inches above and 30 inches behind due to my custom cabinet configuration and mine gets quite hot, especially when playing games. Mine is located on the shelf above my amp, so I'm going to be moving it to the other rack to see if that helps - the residual heat from my amp is likely contributing in my situation.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well i trimmed out the back of my AV rack. that stuff is hard to cut. i put a larger 6x3 inch hole at the top and an 6x3 inch behind the ps3 and the hd dvd player. the fan level never reached the level of the 360. I played some motorstorm, downloaded 2 games and had it play Xmen 2 completely thru with no freezing issues.

I have found two other members say they have had issues with BR freezing during playback like mine and one was repeatedly having it happen enough for him to ship it to sony.

so far it looks to be good.

My DVD Collection
post #10 of 11 Old 12-10-2006, 11:22 AM

I had a ventilation problem as well. I found a USB fan that I mounted on my cabinet that draws the heat out of the cabinet. Works great. The PS3 still gets pretty warm, but not nearly as hot as it used to.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 06:02 PM

Man, Im soo glad I read this thread!! My PS3 is in a confined space, with only the front being the ventilation, and the fan was always on "high"! I wasn't having any of the freezing symptoms some of the others are experiencing, but the fan was way too loud, and you could feel the heat off of the front of the cabinet. I read this thread and got the dremel cranked up, and cut a 3"x6" square hole in the back, and I can't believe the difference that it makes. My wife even noticed the difference in how quiet it was!
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page