How to factory reset my PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Played my PS3 last week, everything was fine, tried tonight and my TV says the resolution is not handled and through my AV receiver screen goes in and out and it's all messed up, anyone know how to restore the factory settings, I think i might have switch off the PS3 while it was downloading the firmware if i did what are my option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-11-2006, 11:05 AM

If you can get to the system settings menu, there are restore options. Otherwise there is no hardware reset that I know of.
post #3 of 38 Old 12-11-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I can't see the screen so i need to reset to standard def and see what's wrong
post #4 of 38 Old 12-11-2006, 11:20 AM

Have you already tried connecting the PS3 to your TV via the included composite cable?
post #5 of 38 Old 12-11-2006, 11:30 AM

Have you tried this?

1 - Turn on TV and set input to port being used.
2 - Make sure PS3 is connected via correct cable.
3 - Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds (release after the second beep). It should automatically configure your PS3 to the TV's native resolution for all settings.

AmigaDude
post #6 of 38 Old 12-11-2006, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, connecting the analog cable was the first thing i tried but it was not working since it was set to HDMI, so i did this hold 5 sec thing it's now working with the analog cable, I'm happy to see it's working and it's purely a display issue, it's a Japan import and I'm Europe so if was faulty unit i would have been in deep sh**, I'm updating the firmware to 1.30 and it's SO slow, hopefully this will fix the problem.

Thx for the help guys
post #7 of 38 Old 06-01-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaDude View Post

Have you tried this?
3 - Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds (release after the second beep). It should automatically configure your PS3 to the TV's native resolution for all settings.

omg thank you

found this thread via google search.

bless you my son. bless you.
post #8 of 38 Old 06-30-2007, 11:58 AM

this worked for me too
thanks guys

Samsung LN46A650 46" (FW: 2001.3, MANF. DATE: 4/30/08)
Playstation 3 (HDMI)
Xbox 360 (HDMI)
post #9 of 38 Old 07-22-2007, 02:43 PM

well i was tring to install other os with no luck as per normal when i try to use linux was giving me a blank screen this worked to get back to normal os as well great tip
post #10 of 38 Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 PM

saved my life as well. Thanks !!!!!!!!!!
post #11 of 38 Old 10-27-2007, 11:45 AM

This tip saved me some trouble as well, but the question is why is this happening? Is it the PS3 or our tvs causing the issue?
post #12 of 38 Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 PM

Very Helpful at reseting the AV input on my PS3 ... just wish they would have put this in the user manual.
post #13 of 38 Old 12-22-2007, 09:53 AM

It is, thats how I found it.

Xbl: Main Dammie
PSN: Dreen
post #14 of 38 Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Hey guys, I am having a problem that seems similar to what has been talked about on this thread, but I tried doing the reset (where you hold the start button until the two beeps), and it didn't seem to work. This is my problem: when I turn on the PS3 it will load the home screen and then immediately the screen will freeze and then start flashing in an array of colors and the the display gets completely distorted. So I connected my PS3 to the TV with the default cables that came with the box and tried to reset the PS3, but the same problem still happens.

Please Help in any way you can . . .

Thank you
post #15 of 38 Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 AM

THis worked for me also, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
post #16 of 38 Old 01-20-2008, 01:52 PM

same thing happens to me my ps3 doesnt start.... everytime i start it, it says ur ps3 needs to rebuild its harddrive so i clik OK....then it says there was an error and it says u have to format ur hard drive first....but it never formats.....

I NEED HELP
post #17 of 38 Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs23719 View Post

same thing happens to me my ps3 doesnt start.... everytime i start it, it says ur ps3 needs to rebuild its harddrive so i clik OK....then it says there was an error and it says u have to format ur hard drive first....but it never formats.....

I NEED HELP

Sounds like your hard disk is nackered. If you know about PC's, you could try it in a PC to test it.

If you need to replace your HDD, just do a google for a guide on replacing your PS3 HDD.
post #18 of 38 Old 04-01-2008, 04:01 PM

hi, i have some problems with my ps3. i tried to intall linux yellow dog 5.0 and the installation crashed. now all i get is a blank screen. I cannot get back to the original OS, nor finish installing the linux. There is nothing on the screen i can work with. I tried the 5 sec reset. Nothing. PLZ HELP
post #19 of 38 Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodhead View Post

when I turn on the PS3 it will load the home screen and then immediately the screen will freeze and then start flashing in an array of colors and the the display gets completely distorted.

sounds like a hardware failure. contact Sony for help. most likely you'll have to get the PS3 serviced (if the warranty is still valid).
post #20 of 38 Old 04-06-2008, 01:54 AM

I installed an other os for my PS3, i set it as the default operating system to see if it was working. It came on and displayed some options i tried to click on one of the option but my control was off so i tried to turn it on but it couldnt find the PS3. I also tried conecting the control using the USB chord but it still didnt work. I dont know what to do please help.
post #21 of 38 Old 05-01-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Have you tried this?

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! Thank you for letting us leave the client site and not force us to sleep here overnight!!
post #22 of 38 Old 06-14-2008, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hello all. I have a 40Gb PS3 which has worked flawlessly for the last few months. I put the Fight Night disk in (which has worked in the past) and it would not load. The screen told me to wait, which is what it read for about 2 hours. So, stupid me, I turned it off. When I turned it on again, it prompted me to format my hard drive, which I started to do. Now, it has taken me to a black screen with the PS logo in the middle and instructions to 'Connect my controller via the USB cable and press the 'PS' button. I have done this, but the unit does not respond. I can't get past this screen, which is really frustrating. I have tried pressing every button on the controller but without success. I have also tried the steps given for hard reset, also without luck.

Not sure if I turned off the unit during some sort of update or process, but needless to say the Sony website was bloody useless (one of the reasons I still love my HD-DVD player!) and I still am at a loss as to what I should do. Does anyone out there have any ideas as to how I can get past this stage?

Thanks guys.

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #23 of 38 Old 06-14-2008, 10:41 AM

Each time I have this problem, my PS3 detects the resolution itself.

post #24 of 38 Old 07-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Have you tried this?

thank you!
post #25 of 38 Old 07-20-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

Hello all. I have a 40Gb PS3 which has worked flawlessly for the last few months. I put the Fight Night disk in (which has worked in the past) and it would not load. The screen told me to wait, which is what it read for about 2 hours. So, stupid me, I turned it off. When I turned it on again, it prompted me to format my hard drive, which I started to do. Now, it has taken me to a black screen with the PS logo in the middle and instructions to 'Connect my controller via the USB cable and press the 'PS' button. I have done this, but the unit does not respond. I can't get past this screen, which is really frustrating. I have tried pressing every button on the controller but without success. I have also tried the steps given for hard reset, also without luck.

Not sure if I turned off the unit during some sort of update or process, but needless to say the Sony website was bloody useless (one of the reasons I still love my HD-DVD player!) and I still am at a loss as to what I should do. Does anyone out there have any ideas as to how I can get past this stage?

Thanks guys.

Greg

I'm having the same problem as Dingaling2004. I have a 40GB PS3. I downloaded the 2.41 update last night, and ever since then it has stopped working - I read somewhere else tonight that this is likely due to the download jumping from around 50% to complete all of the sudden which means the download somehow got F-ed and won't work right. I popped out the HD, connected it to my PC and did a full reformat of the drive in fat32 and popped it back into the PS3. And here I am back at square 1 - I'm stuck at that screen where the PS3 tells me to connect a controller to it with the USB cable, but when I do I get absolutely no response. I can still start up the PS3 with the controller, but then the controller goes dead and I can't do anything else from there. I've tried hitting the re-sync button on the back of the controller. I've tried hard-rebooting the PS3. I've tried pretty much everything I can think about or have read, and still no luck. At this point it is more just a matter of pride than anything else. I don't want to send it back to Sony because it will take forever and I'm a relatively smart person and hope that we can figure this out. Please help me if you have any additional insight into this.

Thanks!
post #26 of 38 Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:

THANK YOU... I was messing with the display settings and messed it all up...Now it's fine....Thanx
post #27 of 38 Old 10-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakon_av View Post

hi, i have some problems with my ps3. i tried to intall linux yellow dog 5.0 and the installation crashed. now all i get is a blank screen. I cannot get back to the original OS, nor finish installing the linux. There is nothing on the screen i can work with. I tried the 5 sec reset. Nothing. PLZ HELP

Hi, i have found the solution of you'r question. maybe it's too late...any way...
If you would like to switch back to the Game OS you simply switch the PS3 (off) on the front and flip the back switch to "off". Then switch the PS3 back "on", then ((hold)) the front power button untill you hear the machine chirp twice (about 5 seconds), let go of the front power button when you hear the second chirp and this will get you back into Game OS. the ps3 system...
post #28 of 38 Old 10-03-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdotghana View Post

I installed an other os for my PS3, i set it as the default operating system to see if it was working. It came on and displayed some options i tried to click on one of the option but my control was off so i tried to turn it on but it couldnt find the PS3. I also tried conecting the control using the USB chord but it still didnt work. I dont know what to do please help.

hi, i had like this problem before. you have to use an usb mouse.
in will work.
go to setting.
select system.
go to restore ps3 system.
make it full format.
it will take several hours.
after that the system will restart automaticlly.
the system will ask u to press the ps button.
and enjoy with your ps3.
by the way. if u wanna my advice dont back to the other os.
becouse my system now is not working.
post #29 of 38 Old 12-30-2008, 02:41 PM

the problem with my ps3 is a little bit different. it decided to power down on its own, and will not fully power back up. it will for 2 seconds then shuts itself back down. have tried the 5 second reset sequence, to no avail. Seems to me it might be a hardware not a sofware issue. could anyone offer any opinion?

thank you very much,
Best regards... Rotten Monkey
post #30 of 38 Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Sounds like it died, Monkey, sorry.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags