It's not like the 360, I wish it was like the 360...It's the PS3 NOT the 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
This is a simple rant. I really hear what everyone who owns and the few who don't own a 360 is saying about the PS3. They are wishing it was like the 360, more like the 360, etc. on and on. Almost any thread positive or negative becomes a PS3 vs 360 comparison. Almost all the comments by 360 owners, except a few, are they wish it was like the 360, in terms of games, online, XMB, controllers, etc.

I want to make this perfectly clear. The reasons people are bringing up are good points about the 360 being better for this reason or that reason and I understand and accept them, BUT....

Hello! It's the PS3 NOT the 360. If anyone wants it to be like the 360 or have the same features as the 360, even if they are better on the 360, then I agree with you guys. Why own a PS3. You might as well just get or keep the 360 and blow off the PS3.

I am not knocking the 360 or the PS3. I am not supporting one over the other. I am simply saying if a person wants an apple why want another apple if you already have one when you can have an orange.

Simply, if the PS3 were exactly like the 360 why would anyone need or want it.

I know this comes down to preference, but I think those that own both and not slamming one or the other are open minded and are being fair in their comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Liked: 10
I've got both and like them both.. They both have the pro's and con's.

I'm glad though that my PS3 isn't a 360 ;)
post #3 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And honestly I want and may get a 360 in time. I have tried it and like it as well.
post #4 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Sometimes you just have to lower your expectations, and that's where the Ps3 fits in. ;)

1080p, where marketing genius and science fiction collide!
post #5 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 04:12 PM

I don't see the purpose in this thread, except maybe to insite another PS3 vs. 360 feud!!

I just don't get it!! They are 2 separate machines from 2 different companies, GET OVER IT!!!!! If you don't like the PS3 then stick with your 360, Wii, DS whatever it is that you play. If you don't like the 360, stick with your PS3, DS Wii !! Come on it's a friggin gaming console, not the solution to the Bush War!

Sorry, for my rant!! Im just sick of seeing threads pitting consoles against either.
post #6 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The two biggest issues the PS3 has are the lack of background downloading and broken 1080i support in 720p games. You can't sweep them away by saying the PS3 isn't supposed to be like the 360.
post #7 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 04:23 PM

I have both and the PS3 isn't half the machine the 360 is. The best thing about the PS3 is the cheap Blu-Ray player and the fact that it's quieter than the 360. The 360 is head and shoulders above the PS3 in every other category. I had no desire to buy a PS3 at all, had my fiancee not brought one home a few days ago and I opened it simply to watch Talladega Nights before the actual DVD release day, it would probably be on Ebay right now.

While I don't think it's a terrible machine, I think it's terribly overpriced for what it offers. The 360 runs circles around the PS3 and does it at a cheaper price. Case closed. Sorry Sony, but MS wins this round.
post #8 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 04:46 PM

I think what people are missing from the 360 is the simplicity of the 360's functions. For example, the whole resolution thing. With the ps3, you have to change the settings for playing ps2 games, ps3 games and blu ray movies. Whereas with the 360, you just have to set the resolution ONCE and bam, you'll never have to set it again.

So I don't think people want a 360-clone. But people don't want to be bogged down with all these issues the ps3 has right now. They want to be playing game, watching movies, etc; not fiddling around for two hours etting up their playstation wallet or whatever.
post #9 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc
Simply, if the PS3 were exactly like the 360 why would anyone need or want it.

Final Fantasy Series

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #10 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I have both as well and prefer the 360, but that can change when games start coming out for the PS3. All my gaming is on the 360 and most of my movie watching is on the PS3.

For me, blu ray is the reason I bought the PS3.

And to be honest, if a game releases in both formats, chances are I'll buy the 360 version. So far I'm underwhelmed by the PS3.

Wish that Sony would allow all audio & video ports active. I really hate changing my video back and forth along with my audio. Really is a pain in the a**.
post #11 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I own a PS3 and most are making my point which is then just get a 360. Again, I hear what everyone is saying. They are pointing out the obvious faults of the PS3, but they are doing so mainly in comparison to and the ability of the 360, because if the 360 didn't exist or vice versa most of the points would be mute or not as big a deal. Many might make the points of the obvious flaws without there ever being a 360, but the points get exacerbated by owners of the 360 making apples to oranges comparisons. Just get a 360 then is my point, and don't look back.

If I want my Ninja motorcycle to be more like a GSXR, I wouldn't even have bought the Ninja, I would have bought the GSXR and not looked back. I am not saying no one has right to complain or compare. I am saying doing so just proves we are never happy with anything, because things never deliver 100% without issues.
post #12 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Whats better about having to rig up an external HD-DVD drive and no HDMI? Two words: Half Ass!
post #13 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidme
Whats better about having to rig up an external HD-DVD drive and no HDMI? Two words: Half Ass!
Haha or making people buy a blu ray player that dont even own an hdtv. :)
post #14 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhender
I think what people are missing from the 360 is the simplicity of the 360's functions. For example, the whole resolution thing. With the ps3, you have to change the settings for playing ps2 games, ps3 games and blu ray movies. Whereas with the 360, you just have to set the resolution ONCE and bam, you'll never have to set it again.

So I don't think people want a 360-clone. But people don't want to be bogged down with all these issues the ps3 has right now. They want to be playing game, watching movies, etc; not fiddling around for two hours etting up their playstation wallet or whatever.
Wow, people have short memories. When you set up the Xbox 360 the first time, you had to do a similar setup. The resolution is one thing that the 360 does way better at the moment, but the 360 isn't more simple in every aspect. See examples below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkout
I have both and the PS3 isn't half the machine the 360 is. The best thing about the PS3 is the cheap Blu-Ray player and the fact that it's quieter than the 360. The 360 is head and shoulders above the PS3 in every other category. I had no desire to buy a PS3 at all, had my fiancee not brought one home a few days ago and I opened it simply to watch Talladega Nights before the actual DVD release day, it would probably be on Ebay right now.

While I don't think it's a terrible machine, I think it's terribly overpriced for what it offers. The 360 runs circles around the PS3 and does it at a cheaper price. Case closed. Sorry Sony, but MS wins this round.
I don't think the 360 is head and shoulders above the PS3 in every aspect. I could list a ton of areas where the PS3 is easily better than the 360. I can also do the same the other way around. Let's not ignore all the issues the 360 went through when it was first released as well as gloss over the glaring areas where the 360 doesn't do things as well.

Off of the top of my head, basic navigation, video chat, headset compatibility, hard drive compatibility, ease of managing your data, profile management, download content sharing, accessory compatibility, backward compatibility, backward compatible save data, region free, ability to play video files, ability to transfer mp3s, and Linux are just some areas where the PS3 easily excels over the Xbox 360. It's not so clear cut.
post #15 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivdog
Haha or making people buy a blu ray player that dont even own an hdtv. :)
Even if Blu-Ray video didn't exist or died out, there's still a usage when it comes to games. So it's not a useless feature regardless of who owns the system.
post #16 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknight
Even if Blu-Ray video didn't exist or died out, there's still a usage when it comes to games. So it's not a useless feature regardless of who owns the system.
I am going to have to disagree with you there. It is useless when it comes to games and was only packaged with the Ps3 so sony could push it's blu ray formate. I thought everyone knew this.
post #17 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Firmware updates every other week is another plus. People that dont have an HDTV shouldnt own either anyway, its pointless to pay these prices if you dont, so your point is dumb. Plus if you arent in this forum for PS3 then you shouldnt be here.
post #18 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Paying $200 more for Blu-ray drive to not have to swap discs in Final Full Motion Video XXVII is hardly a feature. It's really only there for Blu-ray movies.
post #19 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am going to have to disagree with you there. It is useless when it comes to games and was only packaged with the Ps3 so sony could push it's blu ray formate. I thought everyone knew this.
I don't disagree that they used the PS3 as a way to push the format for HD Video, but I think you're flat out wrong about it being useless for games. As a game developer, I can assure you that you will get games that will need more data storage than a DVD. There are already games out there that do require it and the generation is barely just starting. To say otherwise you'd have to be in denial or ignorant of what is involved in game development. Can you make games that fit on DVDs, sure. But to say game developers wouldn't love having more space to work with is short sighted. It's only natural. Standard Definition games started to push the limits of the DVD. A few games even needed more. With higher resolution content, you're going to need more storage. Just like higher res video needs more storage which is why Blu-Ray and HD-DVD exist in the first place. I'm even factoring in that I'm ignoring the extra storage being used for video content. I'm talking actual game content, models, data, textures, etc.
post #20 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLV
Paying $200 more for Blu-ray drive to not have to swap discs in Final Full Motion Video XXVII is hardly a feature. It's really only there for Blu-ray movies.
Did you think systems last generation was a waste for going to DVD over CD drives? It's the same thing. Heck people even argued back then that CD was enough storage yet look at game content now. See my above post as well.
post #21 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree that they used the PS3 as a way to push the format for HD Video, but I think you're flat out wrong about it being useless for games. As a game developer, I can assure you that you will get games that will need more data storage than a DVD. There are already games out there that do require it and the generation is barely just starting. To say otherwise you'd have to be in denial or ignorant of what is involved in game development. Can you make games that fit on DVDs, sure. But to say game developers wouldn't love having more space to work with is short sighted. It's only natural. Standard Definition games started to push the limits of the DVD. A few games even needed more. With higher resolution content, you're going to need more storage. Just like higher res video needs more storage which is why Blu-Ray and HD-DVD exist in the first place. I'm even factoring in that I'm ignoring the extra storage being used for video content. I'm talking actual game content, models, data, textures, etc.
gears of war is on a dvd, halo 3 will be on a dvd...blu-ray is not needed for great games...case closed
post #22 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Well Epic had no problems putting gears of war on a regular old dvd but I guess as a more informed "game developer" you know more then they do. As far as games up the road needing more space I have zero problems swapping out a dvd.
Blu ray is not worth the price increase, formate pushing, delays, and shortages.

But I do think if you own an hdtv the ps3 is the way to go for blu ray. :D
post #23 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Did you think systems last generation was a waste for going to DVD over CD drives? It's the same thing. Heck people even argued back then that CD was enough storage yet look at game content now. See my above post as well.
I do not remember people complaining about consoles going from cd to dvd formate.
post #24 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoGT
gears of war is on a dvd, halo 3 will be on a dvd...blu-ray is not needed for great games...case closed
Quote me where you couldn't make a good game on DVD? You can make a great game in 1 megabyte if you wanted to. Heck some of the best games ever created are still smaller than a megabyte. That's not the point here.
post #25 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
You're argueing with someone who isnt worth 2 cents. Save your common sense for people who understand that as you go next gen with graphics and gameplay, the storage also has to go up. Its hard for people who want inferior products (standard DVD space, hd-dvd's small space and limited bitrates) to realise that to move forward, you have to progress with more bandwidth. GeorgeLV was probably a big fan of 8-track too.
post #26 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz6speed
You're argueing with someone who isnt worth 2 cents. Save your common sense for people who understand that as you go next gen with graphics and gameplay, the storage also has to go up. Its hard for people who want inferior products (standard DVD space, hd-dvd's small space and limited bitrates) to realise that to move forward, you have to progress with more bandwidth. GeorgeLV was probably a big fan of 8-track too.
I think you are getting a little carried away there buddy. lol
post #27 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well Epic had no problems putting gears of war on a regular old dvd but I guess as a more informed "game developer" you know more then they do. As far as games up the road needing more space I have zero problems swapping out a dvd.
Blu ray is not worth the price increase, formate pushing, delays, and shortages.

But I do think if you own an hdtv the ps3 is the way to go for blu ray. :D
That's because when developers create a game for a target platform, they make it fit within the target platform. You don't create a game that won't fit on DVD when all you have is DVD storage. You don't make a game with 20 million polygons if you can only render 10 million polygons a second. Game developers make games to run on the intended platform. That doesn't mean a game developer can't take advantage of having more storage media. Nowhere did I say you can't fit HD content on a DVD. However, I did say if you think developers can't take advantage of having more storage then you are way shortsighted on how game development works. Also, swapping discs isn't the ideal situation for every game either. In a linear game, sure you can get away with swapping discs, but not exactly the case when it comes to something non linear. Then it can be more painful.

I've seen the source code to Gears of War BTW. Epic/Microsoft gives you the source code for the game as an example on how to use the Unreal Engine if you are licensed for the engine. I'm not saying I know more than Epic, but if you don't think Epic could have taken advantage of the extra storage then it's you who is not informed. Seriously, if we're already pushing the limits of DVD at the beginning of the HD generation, you don't think games will grow? Did you think CD was good enough back then? How do you justify it's ok to go from CD to DVD but not DVD to a higher capacity format?
post #28 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
That's because when developers create a game for a target platform, they make it fit within the target platform. You don't create a game that won't fit on DVD when all you have is DVD storage. You don't make a game with 20 million polygons if you can only render 10 million polygons a second. Game developers make games to run on the intended platform. That doesn't mean a game developer can't take advantage of having more storage media. Nowhere did I say you can't fit HD content on a DVD. However, I did say if you think developers can't take advantage of having more storage then you are way shortsighted on how game development works. Also, swapping discs isn't the ideal situation for every game either. In a linear game, sure you can get away with swapping discs, but not exactly the case when it comes to something non linear. Then it can be more painful.

I've seen the source code to Gears of War BTW. Epic/Microsoft gives you the source code for the game as an example on how to use the Unreal Engine if you are licensed for the engine. I'm not saying I know more than Epic, but if you don't think Epic could have taken advantage of the extra storage then it's you who is not informed. Seriously, if we're already pushing the limits of DVD at the beginning of the HD generation, you don't think games will grow? Did you think CD was good enough back then? How do you justify it's ok to go from CD to DVD but not DVD to a higher capacity format?
because we didnt have to pay out the ass for dvd, if it wasnt for bluray the ps3 would be alot cheaper and still look great as the 360 has shown its possible.

it might make sense later when prices of bluray goes down but not now.
post #29 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 06:04 PM

Darknight beat me to it.

But yes, a few of you are being extremely short sighted and beligerant.

If you think that "Bluray is not needed for great games", you are mistaken. Your example of them putting GoW on a DVD is an ignorant example. GoW was developed for a system that:

1. Doesn't support BD.
2. Was being developed when the BD technology was just starting.

Next gen games that people think are great can and will be made to utilize the space offered by BD discs and if you think that they won't, then you're in denial.
post #30 of 274 Old 12-13-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:

We sir are going to have to agree to disagree because niether one of us is going to convince each other otherwise. I gave my reasons why I don't think it was needed and I also stated that if you wanted an hdtv player the Ps3 is the way to go.
Closed Thread PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page