Gran Turismo HD Concept Available Now! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Finished downloading, it's awesome, but I suck. I have to spend some time later tonight when I have time.

We can ask nicely at first, but there is no reason to chat about ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE GT HD Concept demo and anything related to it in here. This thread will end up getting closed too if it doesn't stop. Let's focus on the topic of the OP. The ones that do want to debate something off topic, please start another thread that will get closed, and leave this one alone, PLEASE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush View Post

I am enjoying it as well, and it was FREE!

Haven't unlocked all the cars yet because my 3 yr old wanted to play, he actually isn't bad.

Sure rub it in, your 3 year old could beat me....

isn't it amazing what kids can do at such a young age these days?
post #93 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It looks like they took everything down and restarted the servers. Just downloaded in less than 20 minutes wireless. I can't complain about the download time once they got it running again.

I sure the 3 year old can beat me. I haven't learned how to drive with a joystick yet!
post #94 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

I have to admit, this is one of the best demos released for any system. Makes me want to run go out and buy a PS3.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then defeat you with experience.
post #95 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

It took about 4 hours for me to DL on a wired connection, but as of yet, all my DL's have been slow. Is there a way to see the car while driving, or can you only play as if you are in the car. I only checked to see if it worked, then put it back in living room, so I will have to wait till the sun goes down to play on the projector. So far, I'm having more fun with the free downloads then the current games you have to pay for. Hopefully somebody brought me Fight night for Xmas
post #96 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:42 PM

I can't believe they don't have a cockpit view. They can call it a simulation, but without a view from inside the car it's just arcade IMHO. Can't wait for F1 Championship Edition. My boys will dig GTHD though.

Dave Cook
post #97 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknight View Post

That's not even the same comparison.

If it's not the same comparison, then why did you mention Halo in the first place?

==\dub/==
post #98 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBau3r View Post

Even the crowd in the background are highly detailed compared to other racing games:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blkout
Pretty easy to make a still shot look good. Wait for the full release before yapping about it.

Dude, this IS the game, not a still shot! Did you download it yet? It's a shot of the replay.
post #99 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 View Post

It took about 4 hours for me to DL on a wired connection, but as of yet, all my DL's have been slow. Is there a way to see the car while driving, or can you only play as if you are in the car. I only checked to see if it worked, then put it back in living room, so I will have to wait till the sun goes down to play on the projector. So far, I'm having more fun with the free downloads then the current games you have to pay for. Hopefully somebody brought me Fight night for Xmas

'Select' changes the view, appears to be only two views available, no car (dials only) or behind car.

Again I haven't played much, should get some time in later tonight

edit: funny thing about the game, it looks so realistic it is almost boring, I am used to more over the top lighting effects and stuff. This seems like I am watching a car show or something.
post #100 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub273 View Post

If it's not the same comparison, then why did you mention Halo in the first place?

I said, imagine if a Halo 3 DEMO was released a month after the 360 launched, I bet the servers would have been hammered and there would be issues. Heck I wouldn't be surprised when they do release the public beta and if it was a download, that everyone would be hammering the site to download it and it would have issues. Would anyone honestly bet money that launching a Halo 3 downloadable demo would go completely smooth on the servers?
post #101 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post

I can't believe they don't have a cockpit view. They can call it a simulation, but without a view from inside the car it's just arcade IMHO. Can't wait for F1 Championship Edition. My boys will dig GTHD though.

You realize this is just a high res version of GT4 with some new geometry and some new effects right? The real GT5 will be a significant step up from this most likely given how they've done it in the past. Look how far GT2000 went from being a high res version of GT2 to finally GT3.
post #102 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

My god, this visuals are impressive! 1080p backed by a good sound system

Anyway, the HDR bloom effects, realtime shadows, the attention to detail. AGAIN ONLY ON SONY YO! GT fans, lets patiently wait :P
post #103 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I said, imagine if a Halo 3 DEMO was released a month after the 360 launched, I bet the servers would have been hammered and there would be issues.

I follow you, and you're probably right. My bad.

==\dub/==
post #104 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrii View Post

Sent via PM. The list is actually larger than that, It hasn't been updated in a few months.

Thanks, I had missed the emphasis on "publishing".
post #105 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchi View Post

Dude, this IS the game, not a still shot! Did you download it yet? It's a shot of the replay.

Yes, I can confirm it looks like that.

It's the most stunning driving thing I have ever seen.

The public contains a lot of placeholders, but man, this is HD for you. If GT 5 ends up better than that, I won't know what to say.
post #106 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

Thanks, I had missed the emphasis on "publishing".

I'm actually updating the list for all 3 systems tonight, I'll send it to you if you want.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then defeat you with experience.
post #107 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

I said, imagine if a Halo 3 DEMO was released a month after the 360 launched, I bet the servers would have been hammered and there would be issues. Heck I wouldn't be surprised when they do release the public beta and if it was a download, that everyone would be hammering the site to download it and it would have issues. Would anyone honestly bet money that launching a Halo 3 downloadable demo would go completely smooth on the servers?

Are you honestly comparing Sony releasing a GT demo with maybe 700K PS3s in the entire world and having trouble with it with MS releasing a Halo demo with 8M systems in the world? Sure same thing... Its HYSTERICAL that people think that 360 owners are the nuts on this board!

Looks nice but I need a wheel for the PS3. GT and Forza are wheel games, not controller games.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #108 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You must have missed the part where he said a month after the 360 launched...

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #109 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

Are you honestly comparing Sony releasing a GT demo with maybe 700K PS3s in the entire world and having trouble with it with MS releasing a Halo demo with 8M systems in the world? Sure same thing... Its HYSTERICAL that people think that 360 owners are the nuts on this board!

Looks nice but I need a wheel for the PS3. GT and Forza are wheel games, not controller games.

Wow do people have a comprehension problem? I said if Microsoft had released a Halo 3 demo A MONTH after the release of the 360, you probably would have had the same issue. I'm not comparing now, I'm comparing back then. Even now, with their more robust servers, they still would have trouble with the current user base hitting it. It doesn't matter what network, or what system, you put the right thing to download, and you can take down a network server by having too many hits. It happens all the time with major downloads. It's happened with PC demos, we've seen network issues with the 360, saw them on the Wii, and now we have them on the PS3. Is it such a surprise that a lot of traffic can overload a server? The GT demo is huge, and I'm really not surprised. This isn't a cause for panic or to jump ship. It's a minor hiccup that all networks have and if I'm not mistaken, the network is back to normal as of a few hours ago. So really what's the big fuss or surprise? 500k people accessing the same server for the same file that is about 600 megs, I'm not surprised one bit, or worried. Why are we making a mountain out of a little blip. All I'm saying is if Microsoft did the same thing with a downloadable Halo 3 demo, you can bet there would be issues.
post #110 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

no cockpit view...what a waste.

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #111 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry Dark, missed the month comment. But you are still waaaay off base. Geometry Wars alone had tens of thousands of downloads when the system was released. Live had a great deal of content and you could download it from day 1 and beyond with no issues.

Sony did clean this up quickly. After giving up for an hour I was able to download it in 15 min. Someone probably forgot to give the server bandwidth.

Frank J. Cone

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #112 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

no cockpit view...what a waste.

Its a free demo... $50-$60 games ship without an in car view still.

Frank J. Cone

post #113 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry Dark, missed the month comment. But you are still waaaay off base. Geometry Wars alone had tens of thousands of downloads when the system was released. Live had a great deal of content and you could download it from day 1 and beyond with no issues.

Sony did clean this up quickly. After giving up for an hour I was able to download it in 15 min. Someone probably forgot to give the server bandwidth.

Geometry Wars isn't even on the same planet as something of the scope of Halo 3 or Gran Turismo. You can't compare Geometry Wars or people downloading content in general because you don't have everyone downloading Geometry Wars at once, and even if you did have people, the download is so small that people finish it fairly quickly and are out of the queue of downloaders compared to a 600 meg download. You're really stretching if you think that's even comparable in the same league. Do we need to look past the server issues that Microsoft had when it opened up its video service? Even that wasn't on the scope or hype of Halo 3 or Gran Turismo.
post #114 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Coolest part of the demo for me, and I totally forgot they did this in GT4 Online, but the ability to download the replay of the top 10 people in the ranking leaderboard to see what they did.
post #115 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its a free demo... $50-$60 games ship without an in car view still.

It's supostu be a sim.. I Know it's a demo. but good. cuz I wouldn't buy it then if they did release it. along with any other game that costs that much without the cockpit view. it is like a sandwich without bread.

Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #116 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

It's supostu be a sim.. I Know it's a demo. but good. cuz I wouldn't buy it then if they did release it. along with any other game that costs that much without the cockpit view. it is like a sandwich without bread.

It's not even a demo for a real game. It's a tech demo. Gran Turismo 5 will be drastically different than this. Plus how many games actually have a cockpit mode and those that do, how many are truely playable. It's nice at first in PGR3, but in the end, it gets in the way of gameplay. It's less realistic to have a cockpit view than it is to not have one when you really break it down.
post #117 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Good Point,

post #118 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Geometry Wars isn't even on the same planet as something of the scope of Halo 3 or Gran Turismo. You can't compare Geometry Wars or people downloading content in general because you don't have everyone downloading Geometry Wars at once, and even if you did have people, the download is so small that people finish it fairly quickly and are out of the queue of downloaders compared to a 600 meg download. You're really stretching if you think that's even comparable in the same league. Do we need to look past the server issues that Microsoft had when it opened up its video service? Even that wasn't on the scope or hype of Halo 3 or Gran Turismo.

Now we are comparing 7G files on a system with 6M= (Estimated at time service launched) with a 600M file for again 700K at the very max (How many PS3's are online? (From the looks of R:FoM online not too many) Really how does the 360 even get brought up in this thread? You might want to take a look at the news sites... people are going nuts for those video downloads. (I have a BR and HD DVD player, I have not downloaded anything myself).

Again IMO it was screwy at first and cleaned up very quickly. Why people need to lash out at the 360 everytime Sony screws up boggles me!

Frank J. Cone

post #119 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now we are comparing 7G files on a system with 6M= (Estimated at time service launched) with a 600M file for again 700K at the very max (How many PS3's are online? (From the looks of R:FoM online not too many) Really how does the 360 even get brought up in this thread? You might want to take a look at the news sites... people are going nuts for those video downloads. (I have a BR and HD DVD player, I have not downloaded anything myself).

Again IMO it was screwy at first and cleaned up very quickly. Why people need to lash out at the 360 everytime Sony screws up boggles me!

See it's the last part that's the problem. Somehow this is a Sony screw up that is only exclusive to Sony and that had Sony charged for their service, you wouldn't have this issue. That's how the 360 comes into when people say stuff either exactly like that or implies it. There's just so many angles that shows that Xbox Live is not immune to the same issues.

Where do I start again?

1) If there was a Halo 3 demo one month after the 360 launch, I think most of us agree the servers would have been screwed up from all the hits at once.

2) Even with people paying for XBL, the servers still go down.

3) Even with Microsoft's vast experience with XBL and being paid for the service, the servers still go down

4) If there was a Halo 3 demo today, it wouldn't surprise anyone to see the servers bogged down.

Yet somehow it's Sony's screw up and Microsoft doesn't screw up their servers because you pay for it. I don't get the logic.

Plus you wanna know how the 360 got dragged into this? 360 fans dragged it in. Look no further than the 22nd and 25th post where people start saying that by paying $50, it could have avoided all this. Also, how do you get 7 gig files being downloaded by 6 million people? That's quite a stretch there....
post #120 of 317 Old 12-23-2006, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably more people were downloading 7G files that GT today given the difference in installed base.

UNO had 100K + downloads the day it hit. I believe the number for the Lost Planet Demos is 1M. Each saw immense downloads the day they were released.

The thing is, there were no real problems with Live downloads the months after release, despite far more content. And for the sake of argument lets say Live CRASHED with people trying to download Outpost Kaloki X.

This makes it OK for the PSN to crash?

Frank J. Cone

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page