Can you charge a PS3 controller with your PC's usb ports? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 12-24-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
With the Xbox 360, if you have the play n charge kit, you can actually plug it into your computer's usb ports, and charge your controller like that, instead of having to plug it into your Xbox 360 and keep your Xbox 360 turned on until it's charged.

I'm thinking it would be the same thing with the Sixaxis controller, but I only have the one Sixaxis controller, and I don't want to accidently screw it up. Anybody know if it's safe to charge your PS3 controller on your PC? If so, I'd rather do that than have to have it connected to my PS3 system and leave my PS3 system on for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 12-24-2006, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes you can. I charge mine through the cable box (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) as well.
post #3 of 66 Old 12-24-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes..but I think the PS3 needs to still be on. I don't know why but the remote will not flash like it is charging unless the PS3 is on. I think I tried to leave it in the computer overnight but woke up to find it uncharged. I could be wrong though. I do know this...it's at least safe to try. Apparently comcast cable boxes work well too!

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #4 of 66 Old 12-24-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Your PS3 doesn't need to be on. I just charged mine last night through my PC without the PS3 on and it was fully charged. You can even charge it by using your Motorola or Blackberry phone charger.

PSN: Mobius570
XBL: Mobius570
Wii: Some silly number I can't locate
TWW
My Gaming Rig
post #5 of 66 Old 12-24-2006, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius_570 View Post

Your PS3 doesn't need to be on. I just charged mine last night through my PC without the PS3 on and it was fully charged. You can even charge it by using your Motorola or Blackberry phone charger.

Ok...so if connected to the PS3 - the PS3 must be on. If connected to any other USB device the PS3 can be off? Good to know. Does the sixaxis flash when connected to a PC or cable box when charging and the PS3 is off?

PSN ID: dogdoctor
post #6 of 66 Old 12-25-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor View Post

Ok...so if connected to the PS3 - the PS3 must be on. If connected to any other USB device the PS3 can be off? Good to know. Does the sixaxis flash when connected to a PC or cable box when charging and the PS3 is off?

Yes that is correct and yes it flashes.
post #7 of 66 Old 12-25-2006, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I thought my PS3 could be in standby mode with the red light showing and charge my controllers when I first got it. Now, I could be losing my mind thinking it did that, but it sure doesn't anymore. I have to turn it on like I am going to use it. I had to be imagining it, because I tried it again and it doesn't. I also use my HD DVR cable box to charge my controllers.
post #8 of 66 Old 12-25-2006, 09:38 AM

Guys, and Gals,

I don't believe that flashing red lights on the PS3 controller indicates charging. I am not sure what this indicates, but I think it has something to do with loosing connection with the PS3 unit via bluetooth.

When I charge my controller via powered USB hub, I see no flashing, yet it charges.
post #9 of 66 Old 12-25-2006, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
My Panamax 5510 Pro has a USB port for a snake light, use it no probs. No light on.
post #10 of 66 Old 12-25-2006, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asong26 View Post

I don't believe that flashing red lights on the PS3 controller indicates charging. I am not sure what this indicates, but I think it has something to do with loosing connection with the PS3 unit via bluetooth.

Flashing always seemed to go with charging, at least when the PS3 is on. It blinks when it's charging and goes solid if it's plugged in and fully charged.

I charged my new 2nd SIXAXIS earlier today (Christmas gift) while I was playing PS2 Battlestar: Galactica and PS3 NHL2k7, but haven't yet needed to charge it outside of the PS3 itself.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #11 of 66 Old 12-26-2006, 10:08 PM

Off the subject a little has anyone had any luck using a ps2 controller on the ps3? I can use the ps2 controller in the menu set up and the web browsing. But the games do not recognize it.
post #12 of 66 Old 12-27-2006, 07:55 AM

1 light on the controller flashing slowly means it is charging.

4 lights blinking rapidly on the controller means it is syncing via bluetooth.

u can charge the controller with ANYTHING that charges any usb device.

for example. have a motorola cell phone? use the wall charger for the phone. have a Creative Zen Micro? use that wall charger. use any usb port from a computer that is usb 2.0.
post #13 of 66 Old 04-14-2007, 01:14 PM

ha i didnt know that the ps3 had to be on to charge the controler. I have been hooking it up every night with the system off. so today after playing for a hour the controler says it needs a charge and im thinking something must be wrong with the battery. guess I have been playing for a week on the original factory charge.
post #14 of 66 Old 04-14-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

With the Xbox 360, if you have the play n charge kit, you can actually plug it into your computer's usb ports, and charge your controller like that, instead of having to plug it into your Xbox 360 and keep your Xbox 360 turned on until it's charged.

Just FYI, you can plug your controller into the 360 to charge it and then turn off the 360. The 360 will keep its USB ports powered up until the controller is done charging.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #15 of 66 Old 04-15-2007, 09:18 PM

I'd have sworn my controller was getting charged in standby mode. I've had my PS3 since March 3rd, and my battery indicator has never dropped below 2 lines on the little batter indicator on the screen. After I'm done playing, I turn off the PS3 and connect the controller to the USB cord attached to the PS3. And it seems to be fully charged the next time I play. A few times it was charging watching movies or listening to music, but with relatives in for a visit this last week, I haven't had time to watch any bluray movies, but I've been letting the relatives play PS3 games everyday without the battery ever running too low. I bought an extension USB cable when i bought the PS3 thinking I'd need it for when the battery runs low, and except for testing the cable when I bought it, I haven't needed it since. Maybe the controller just holds a charge for a long time, but I'd have sworn it's charging in standby mode until reading posts earlier in this thread that says it doesn't.
post #16 of 66 Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The controller holds an amazing charge. I had my PS3 from day one and charged the controller maybe 4 times. But I don't play several hours a day either.

PSN: Mobius570
XBL: Mobius570
Wii: Some silly number I can't locate
TWW
My Gaming Rig
post #17 of 66 Old 12-08-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashairlines View Post

I'd have sworn my controller was getting charged in standby mode. I've had my PS3 since March 3rd, and my battery indicator has never dropped below 2 lines on the little batter indicator on the screen. After I'm done playing, I turn off the PS3 and connect the controller to the USB cord attached to the PS3. And it seems to be fully charged the next time I play. A few times it was charging watching movies or listening to music, but with relatives in for a visit this last week, I haven't had time to watch any bluray movies, but I've been letting the relatives play PS3 games everyday without the battery ever running too low. I bought an extension USB cable when i bought the PS3 thinking I'd need it for when the battery runs low, and except for testing the cable when I bought it, I haven't needed it since. Maybe the controller just holds a charge for a long time, but I'd have sworn it's charging in standby mode until reading posts earlier in this thread that says it doesn't.

Exactly in the same boat - having just got my PS3 a couple weeks ago I thought I saw it charge when the PS3 was in a "soft-off" position. Only now to see it warning me the controller battery needs charging.

Thanks for this thread guys. It was incredibly helpful as I was thinking my controller went bad (having recently dropped it). I've now changed things aruond so that I charge the PS3 controller off the USB from my Motorola STB.
post #18 of 66 Old 02-20-2008, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
so, if you charge it through your dvr it automatically stops charging when it's done? i know the dvr won't know the difference, so i assume the controller does. yes?

500 gigs FTW.
post #19 of 66 Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

This is good to know, I can just use my motorlola razor phone charger to charge my ps3 cont...I just wonder if the cont will stop taking a charge after its full so that you cant over charge it

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #20 of 66 Old 02-20-2008, 06:44 AM

yes it stops charging on its own...you'll know its done when all red lights are off.

ÂI wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.Â

PSN - N8TE
post #21 of 66 Old 05-20-2008, 05:11 PM
SSK

I have tried charging my Sixaxis PS3 controllers with a powered USB hub and a regular USB charger (Motorola) and it doesn't seem to work. I can only charge my controllers by plugging them into the PS3 console and leaving it on (which is annoying and needlessly heats my family room on warm days). Am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestions?

Also, I'm curious, for those who have had success charging their controllers with other methods, does the LED blink during the charge like it does with the PS3 console or does it stay dark and just charge stealthily?

Thanks
post #22 of 66 Old 05-20-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSK View Post

I have tried charging my Sixaxis PS3 controllers with a powered USB hub and a regular USB charger (Motorola) and it doesn't seem to work. I can only charge my controllers by plugging them into the PS3 console and leaving it on (which is annoying and needlessly heats my family room on warm days). Am I doing anything wrong? Any suggestions?

Also, I'm curious, for those who have had success charging their controllers with other methods, does the LED blink during the charge like it does with the PS3 console or does it stay dark and just charge stealthily?

Thanks

Is the USB hub connected to a computer? You should get a pop up window showing the computer recognize the controller.

Motorola charger might not work because it's a different voltage even though the plug is the same. You're safer plugging it into a PC.
post #23 of 66 Old 05-20-2008, 09:21 PM
SSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobington View Post

Is the USB hub connected to a computer? You should get a pop up window showing the computer recognize the controller.

Motorola charger might not work because it's a different voltage even though the plug is the same. You're safer plugging it into a PC.

Thanks for the reply.

The powered USB hub is just standalone, plugged into an outlet and not connected to a PC -- I use it to charge devices. I wonder if that's the problem. I'll try connecting to a computer to see if that works... better than having to leave the PS/3 on but still would be annoying to have to have the PC powered on to charge the controller.

Interesting re: Motorola voltage, maybe that's why I've had problems charging a Motorola phone with a blackberry power adapter.

I also have other AC/USB adapters -- for blackberry and a generic one I use for iPods on the road -- haven't tried those with the PS/3 controller, will they work?
post #24 of 66 Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSK View Post

Thanks for the reply.

The powered USB hub is just standalone, plugged into an outlet and not connected to a PC -- I use it to charge devices. I wonder if that's the problem. I'll try connecting to a computer to see if that works... better than having to leave the PS/3 on but still would be annoying to have to have the PC powered on to charge the controller.

Interesting re: Motorola voltage, maybe that's why I've had problems charging a Motorola phone with a blackberry power adapter.

I also have other AC/USB adapters -- for blackberry and a generic one I use for iPods on the road -- haven't tried those with the PS/3 controller, will they work?

Safer not to mix and match. Although the charger for my blackberry works for motorola headsets...
post #25 of 66 Old 05-21-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius_570 View Post

I tried using my motorloa razor charger and it didnt work..at least the lights on the controller were'nt flashing like they do when its charging

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #26 of 66 Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

I've also tried charging my sixaxis controller using a standalone powered USB hub, but it didn't work for me. Could they have possibly changed something in the last firmware?

I guess I'll give it a try in my computer tonight, but it is all the same voltage and shouldn't make any difference... unless Sony is requiring some kind of handshake to occur before charging.
post #27 of 66 Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

I have had my PS3 since day one and I have always charged my controller by hooking it up to my Bell Expressvu PVR. On rare occasions I have plugged it in to my PS3 while playing as I didn't pay attention to the charge level and ran out while playing.

When I charge my controller I always have my PS3 in stand by mode and the controller charges fine (I never leave my PS3 on while I am charging as I don't use it for charging). All 4 lights on my controller flash and then stop when it is finished charging (or at least that is what I have assumed) as when I go to use it next time it shows it is fully charged and lasts a long time.

I have tried using my Motorola bluetooth headset for charging but no lights light up so I figured it wasn't working (so I don't use it). I have also tried my Apple USB charger for my iPod Touch and it works.

JD

PSN: R2-JD
post #28 of 66 Old 05-21-2008, 11:39 AM

I use electricity to charge mine....

(yet another worthless post)

PSN: Reefbone
post #29 of 66 Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefbone View Post

I use electricity to charge mine....

(yet another worthless post)

HOW?! please elaborate. because the crystals DO NOT seem to be working.

the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled... People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero , 55 BC
post #30 of 66 Old 05-22-2008, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel L View Post

Yes you can. I charge mine through the cable box (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) as well.

THis is what I do. THe cable box USB port is on 24h, even if the box if "off".
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread