PS3 Video Noise with BD Movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a PS3 last week and noticed that there is a lot of video noise when connecting through HDMI directly to my Samsung HL-S5087W and watching blu-ray movies. I've never noticed this when connecting other HDMI Devices (Up-scaling DVD Player, Comcast box).
Are there any possible reasons why this could happen ?
I've tried watching Talladega Nights and Last Samurai and both notice a lot of noise on parts where there are solid colors that are mostly dark.

Changing my TV mode to MOVIE instead of VIVID does help but its still there.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

the movies you are watching are bad transfers.

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #3 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well what movies do you say are good transfers.
post #4 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 09:12 AM

Here is the link to the Tier system that rates how good Blu Ray transfers are:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=753726
post #5 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Both Last Samurai and Talldega nights are in Tier 2. I find it hard to believe that the picture is that bad in Tier 2. I would put it in Tier 5 if it existed. Other people have apparently had problems too which i recently found. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=758482
post #6 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 09:29 AM

Is your sharpness or Edge Enhancement turned up? Sometimes that causes alot of noise in HD.
post #7 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherball66 View Post

Is your sharpness or Edge Enhancement turned up? Sometimes that causes alot of noise in HD.

Nope. I've messed around with the sharpness all the way down to 0 and still nothing. Edge Enhancement is not up. Changing it to cinema mode helps but the noise is still there. on the bright scenes I can't really see it but on the darker scenes it looks like mosquito noise
post #8 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donricouga View Post

Nope. I've messed around with the sharpness all the way down to 0 and still nothing. Edge Enhancement is not up. Changing it to cinema mode helps but the noise is still there. on the bright scenes I can't really see it but on the darker scenes it looks like mosquito noise

I have the same set as you can Last Samurai has that problem in HD also.

Live/PS3: NovembersChopin
post #9 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modiGTI View Post

I have the same set as you can Last Samurai has that problem in HD also.

So how bout another Bluray title. have you tried another one and did that look good ? Ice Age 2 ? Kingdom of Heaven ?
post #10 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 11:03 AM

Since you mentioned its really noticable on solid colors, have you considered that what you are seeing is SSE (Silk Screen Effect)? I also have the 5087 and the SSE is bad, very distracting. You have to train yourself not to see it.
post #11 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

it may just be the movies u are watching...i used to own the sammy BD player as well as the Panasonic...i returned them both due to the fact there just arent very many extremely impressive titles on BD...granted there area some but not nearly as many as HD-dvd in my opinion
post #12 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Ice Age the Meltdown is highly recommended, and not just by me

Visually it is stunning.

The free version of Talladega just looked like upconverted dvd to me, I was disappointed.

You might want to do some tuning, sounds like you are having trouble with your blacks, you can try THX tuning (available on lots of dvds), or sony BDs have a 7662(or something like that) hidden feature that is for tuning.

First time I really noticed a problem with blacks on my lcd was watching some Bonnie Raitt thing on tv (hd of course), basically she was wearing a very black shirt and it looked like it was moving the whole time, I turned down the brightness until it was all the same black and haven't seen the problem since.
post #13 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 12:28 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by donricouga View Post

Talladega Nights and Last Samurai and both notice a lot of noise on parts where there are solid colors that are mostly dark.

try kingdom of heaven, or silent hill, both movies with many dark areas that had no noise on my setup.

please not that silent hill, seemingly to me, has grain added in most daylight scenes, but check out the dark "hell world" scenes, no more grain/noise and very very clear. Some other think this is due to a bad transfer, but because the dark scenes lack it, u'm under the impression it was intentional.

KOH is just wonderful, albeit a bit long and slow. Make sure you preped for a long movie with little action toward the end.

my setup is a 70"XBR2 and the PS3 over HDMI
post #14 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was beginning to think it might be my HDMI cable or something but I used that same cable and plugged it into my Comcast box and turned it to INHD Channel and the picture looks amazing. Its so clear it makes that talladega nights bluray disc look like VHS. As recommended on these forums, i'm going to buy Kingdom of Heaven and try it out. I haven't seen it anyway but I heard it was pretty good.
As a side note, to those that have PS3, download the Gran Turismo HD from the playstation store. It looks amazing.
post #15 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Try Kingdom of Heaven, Ice Age 2, Tears of the Sun.
post #16 of 46 Old 12-26-2006, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am going to go buy kingdom of heaven and report back here tomorrow. At this point i'm almost certain that its not the cable, the ps3 or the tv but the actual transfers.
post #17 of 46 Old 12-27-2006, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the 5088 and the same problem. Of course you linked to my thread.

My problem still exists.

I don't think it's the cables:

-I've tried Sony Official HDMI, high end Phillips HDMI and a cheapo Chinese HDMI. All produced the same results.

-I also tested via component to the same problem.

I don't think it's the TV.

-I hooked my PS3 into my Sony Bravia LCD @ 1080i and got the same noise results as I did on my DLP.

I don't think it's all the transfer to blame:

-Mission Impossible 3 produces tons of noise and is almost unwatchable, but reviews place it very high on visuals.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/miss...ssibleiii.html

From that review there can be NO WAY I'm seeing MI3 like he is.

SO what on Earth is it?!

-Maybe I got a bad disk? My gf is going to exchange it (MI3) to see if maybe it was a flaw.

-Maybe the Blu Diode is bad? Games look wonderful... But maybe the freq to read movies is bad?

-When downloading trailers from the PSStore, Black Hawk Down looks very nice.. House of Flying Daggers looks like trash. Kinda lends to the transfer idea but still...

-I have the X360 HD DVD drive and everything looks great on it. Blu should compare to that but it does not. Something has to be wrong.

I'm excited to hear what you think of KOH. Xmas tapped my extra cash but I'm going to try and test Black Hawk Down this weekend.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #18 of 46 Old 12-27-2006, 06:28 AM

Liked: 14
Did you get KOH yet?

Denon 4520
Mitsu 92" DLP
SVS PB13 Ultra (2)
Oppo BDP-103
Rocket RS850 (2)
Rocket Bigfoot Center
Rocket RS450 (4)
Emotiva XPA-3
post #19 of 46 Old 12-27-2006, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Remember there will always be SOME inherent film grain in the movie. Make sure you are not confusing that with NOISE.

MI:3 on HD-DVD pretty much looks flawless. I can't believe the BD version looks worse.
post #20 of 46 Old 12-27-2006, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I bought Kingdom of Heaven last night and watched about 75 minutes of it. The picture does look better than Last Samurai and definitely better than Talladega Nights. It looks good, I still see a tiny bit of grain on the darker scenes its nowhere near as bad as The last Samurai. Check out that scene where Tom Cruise is on the boat sailing to Japan in the beginning of the movie and is looking at himself in the mirror. There was so much static or noise or whatever there that it hurt to look. The dark scenes in KOH like at night in the desert had much less of that but still a bit noticeable. The brighter scenes like where Orlando Bloom fights that guy in the desert and kills him was simply beautiful. Hopefully future Blurays standard will be as good as this movie transfer. Im beginning to think that maybe I need to keep messing with my TV settings as the difference between movie mode and Vivd mode is night and day. Movie mode eliminates alot of that grainy look on the darks.
post #21 of 46 Old 12-27-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

^^

Obviously the brighter the picture is the more grain you will notice in night/dark scenes. That is why calibrating your display is so important.

I think as time goes by, you will start to see better and better transfers.
post #22 of 46 Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 AM

Hello, My PS3 has the same problem. I also have a Comcast digital cable box, it seams if you disconnect the cable box from the TV (All audio and video cables) the noise and picture imperfections go away. I don't know why the cable box and the PS3 don't interact well with each other? Please let me know if this works for you!
post #23 of 46 Old 01-05-2007, 02:29 AM

Ok I figured it out. Apparently if you plug a 3-prong-to-2-prong adapter, eliminating the ground plug it gets rid of both interferences. It was that easy.
post #24 of 46 Old 01-05-2007, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcazter View Post

Ok I figured it out. Apparently if you plug a 3-prong-to-2-prong adapter, eliminating the ground plug it gets rid of both interferences. It was that easy.

Are you talking about plugging the playstation into a 2 prong power adapter or plugging the TV into a 2 prong power adapter ?
So it wasn't because of the other cables being plugged into the tv from the comcast receiver ? I'm no Electrical Engineer, but what negative effects can not having ground cause ? Someone with this knowledge please chip in. Thanks
post #25 of 46 Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I tried that 3 prong to 2 prong adapter idea and plugged it on the PS3. No Change whatsoever. I also tried removing all cabled from the TV like dreamcazter said. No difference.
post #26 of 46 Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM

I think the problem I was experiencing is called a Ground Loop, one of the ways to fix it is to eliminate the ground plug. This worked for me however it is not the correct way to fix it. I also am no electrician so I don't know what effect this will have on my PS3 in the long run. I will buy some shielded component cables in about a week to see if this fixes the problem.

I know it is not the PS3 because I have returned it and gotten a new one and it does the same thing. The odd part is that I only get the interferences when I have my Comcast digital cable box connected.

This web page may help you out:

audioholics.comm

Search for Ground Loop

Hope this helps you out!
post #27 of 46 Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the problem I was experiencing is called a Ground Loop, one of the ways to fix it is to eliminate the ground plug. This worked for me however it is not the correct way to fix it. I also am no electrician so I don't know what effect this will have on my PS3 in the long run. I will buy some shielded component cables in about a week to see if this fixes the problem.

I know it is not the PS3 because I have returned it and gotten a new one and it does the same thing. The odd part is that I only get the interferences when I have my Comcast digital cable box connected.

audioholics.comm

Search for Ground Loop

Hope this helps you out!

I don't think I have that Ground Loop problem. Because i tried removing all input sources to the TV with only the playstation connected and still didn't make a difference. But when I get home later I will try to remove the cable tv cable from the wall and see if that makes a difference.
post #28 of 46 Old 01-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

audioholics.comm

Search for Ground Loop

Hope this helps you out!

Why come you guys have not checked out any of the Power Conditioners from Belkin or Monster?

I have a Monster one and it does clean up the video on everything that is plugged into it.

Belkin PureAV

MonsterPower

Playstation Network Name: Aiphanes
Warhawk Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Resistance Clan: Knights of HalfBros
Folding@home Team 56396

Knights of Halfbros Team STATS
post #29 of 46 Old 01-09-2007, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripjammer View Post

Why come you guys have not checked out any of the Power Conditioners from Belkin or Monster?

I have a Monster one and it does clean up the video on everything that is plugged into it.

Belkin PureAV

MonsterPower

Whats the model number of the monster one you have ? What do you think of the HTS 2000 MKII ? It's only $110.38 on Amazon
post #30 of 46 Old 01-09-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Ground loops do not affect digital video. Power conditioners will do nothing for digital video.

Chances are that the noise is just an artifact of your TV (edge enhancement, sharpness that you can't turn off, etc...) or a bad transfer of the film to BD.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page