Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-03-2007, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hi,

I'm sure there a great thead about YDL on PS3 somewhere on this board but it's certainly not on one of the top pages so I started a new one.

I'm trying to DL Yellow Dog Linux for my PS3. My hopes for this Linux is that I can install a DVD player that will upconvert over component and will be region flexable and support PAL discs as well. All this stuff is no problem for a PC so I hope Linux can help me with it.

Another good thing it may do is let me view more types of homemade video files then I can currently do with my PS3, but I'll consider that ice-ing on the cake and I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Now, my question,... for anyone who's already had the chance to play with Yellow Dog linux on the PS3, ... Can it be installed with just the sixaxis controler? I'm thinking I need to go find a USB keyboard but just wanted feedback from someone who's got a bit further with this,

Thanks and Good Luck,

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You will at least need a keyboard if not a mouse.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-03-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK,

By the way,.. have you done this to any extent? I understand making that assumption but is it an assumption or did you try to install YDL? Because,.. if you worked on this I would like to know what to expect, maybe you could share a bit your experience?

Thanks,

Brian
post #4 of 12 Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 AM

You need the keyboard to do the installation at a minimum. I've done it.

PSN ID: fr0z3n_f1r3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-03-2007, 12:15 PM

Get yourself something like "Linux For Dummies" and do a board search. There is a wealth of information (good and bad) that will get you started.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-03-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the main AVS thread regarding YDL on the PS3. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=758727 So far there's only been limitted success with getting a good media playback setup from what I gather. This dampenned my spirits and so I haven't gone through the trouble of getting YDL up and running. I also want to split the HDD in half rather than a 10GB/50GB split and I'm hoping a future update will enable that.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-03-2007, 02:38 PM
awx
AVS Special Member

Gentoo has posted an experimental LiveCD for Playstation 3 on their servers so I'm going to try that next week. I know that Gentoo has plenty of media players and codecs listed in Portage so it shouldn't be as frustrating as YDL apparently is. Some Gentoo users are also running an unofficial binary repository of precompiled packages like X and Gnome to keep the install times short.

From what I've read on the Gentoo forums, PS3 support in Gentoo is still changing rapidly and they are debating and testing the best software for the PS3. For instance, there's still no PS3 specific profile yet. So it seems very bleeding edge for the moment.

Gentoo PS3 project page

PSN: YstadYakuza
post #8 of 12 Old 01-03-2007, 05:19 PM

You will need a keyboard and a mouse. I installed it back at the beginning of December. Installation can be done with just the keyboard (since I only had a wireless keyboard and didn't feel like pulling a mouse from something). But I found that navigation was a pain once Linux was installed.

The install was pretty straight forward. If you follow the instructions on the YDL and Sony site then its pretty much a no brainer. However I pretty much never booted into it again after finding out that there was no wireless network support (that may not be the case now). So I didn't get any futher then playing around with the resolutions, which didn't impress me much IIRC. They just didn't fill the screen up on my TV (again IIRC).

Xbox Live: CaptCaveman
PSN: Captcaveman
Wii: some long number that I will never remember. Thanks Nintendo!
post #9 of 12 Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM

Pros: Many of the apps are loaded and configured for you. Just install and use it.

Cons:

1. Media Playback sucks! Even if you download and install the MPlayer seperately, it still sucks! It doesn't scale the video, so you'll be limited to playing the video on it's original size.
2. No Bluetooth support (or was it no wifi?)
3. Lack of documentation or clear instructions for configuring Linux resolution to display at full 1080P. Although there are numerous sites that shows you how to theoretically display 1080i, or 1080P, or even 720P, but the problem is that YDL linux at thier default resolution modes do not cover the whole screen. You're left with 2 inches of black bars on the sides of the TV, and even bigger black bars on top and bottom of the TV. There is an overscan mode, but this mode overshoots the TV, so that the resolution actually goes outside of the screen.
4. The video driver for the PS3 is non-existent. It's using frame buffering. No 3D, or even 2D acceleration. Sony has crippled the Linux by denying access to their RSX drivers. So you are left with flickering screen with poor focus that will eventually hurt your eyes, or give you a severe headache.
5. YUM still does not work. I keep getting errors...

Having said this, it is my understanding that installing the VLC media player does support video scaling. However, I haven't tried this myself due to 2 reasons. Many people are having difficult time installing this thing, chasing around the net to find the dependencies (dependent files). RPMs are available, but not in a package form. So, you'll have to individually download something like 30+ files seperately, put them all in a single directory, and prey to god that you've got all the files. From there, you'll be searching around the net to find the dependent files. This becomes a very frustrating trial and error process, since you'll only learn of the missing dependencies one at a time.

You'd be far better off installing Fedora 6, since online support is abundant. With YDL, you'll run into support issues since not too many people are using it. Besides, YDL is a Fedora variant. And the necessary PS3 kernal codes are in the Fedora release as well, if not, just download and compile.

Goodnight, and goodluck.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HI,

Just an update... I canceled my Download and gave up for now. (I don't want to go buy more hardware just for this just now even if it's just a USB keyboard.) Instead, I'm on the learning curve of converting videos for the PS3's own system software.

Thanks for the replies,

-Brian
post #11 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Not too many reasons to install YDL on the PS3 due to the issues posted above. Its much better to build a cheap PC and connect to your HDTV running XP or even Ubuntu Linux. YDL will run MAME with a nice GUI interface, and you can run OPERA to browse the web which scales pages much better then the PS3 browser and you can check your email. So its not a total waste but so much more can be done with a low cost computer.

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Very disappointing. The whole point of using Linux is to have PC functionality in a living room setting where a seperate tower is not acceptable. For starters most PC's are too loud and if you try going quiet (to the level of the PS3) it ups the cost. Also the theory is that with standard hardware across the board, Linux on the PS3 should be much more stable than Windows and also able to be very much pre-configured. Seems Linux has fallen short on so many levels including decent threading support for the SPE's. No wonder MS controls the market.

Who knows, maybe new releases will be better...
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page