Using USB for sixaxis and ethernet yields better results and less conflicts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-04-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
As much as I love having less wires and going wireless, I have experimented connecting the Sixaxis by USB and connecting to the internet by ethernet instead of Wi-Fi. I still use my Motorola H700 bluetooth headset.

This may be no surprise to some and some may have no issues with wireless connections, but here is what I have found.

Everything works faster and better connected by wires. The XMB responds faster. The internet works faster. The PS store loads faster. Games respond better and the Sixaxis motion abilities during games works faster and better.

There is no disconnect issues with the controller being connected by USB unless, and this is odd, I hit the main button on my H700 like I am going to receive a call even though I don't use the headset for phone and only for R:FOM. Then I get the disconnect symbol for the controller and it loses connection for about 5 seconds. This is odd because the controller being connected by USB DOES override the wireless connection. I can't help but wonder why the controller would disconnect if it is connected by USB.

The headset itself has less or virtually no loss of connection issues and remained constant and strong. Prior to this when I used the controller wirelessly and connected to the net by Wi-Fi, I had frequent headset connection issues and dropouts.

I know wires are a pain, but I am in a situation where wires are not really an issue and if the system works better and faster, then I will continue to go wired.

All in all the wireless worked well and I would say it worked 80% of the time with minor problems, but if I can get the PS3 to work almost 100% of the time with no issues, then I am going the wired route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2007, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Just from the issues I have with connecting and keeping a rock solid connection my bluetooth phone with my bluetooth headset and laptop I dont understand why an engineer would think bluetooth is a great solution for wireless gaming.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #3 of 6 Old 01-04-2007, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I agree. ^^ Seems like we were sold another marketing gimmick, and I am not talking about the PS3, but Bluetooth. I follow the markets, watch CNBC and tech news, etc. They sold Bluetooth like it was the be all, end all. Not even close in my short experience with it.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I've got close to 100 hours between my Wii and PS3 both of which use Bluetooth, and never had any issues. Even using wifi in the same area *shrug*
post #5 of 6 Old 01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Although I have my PS3 wired via ethernet (because it's in the spot where my PS2 used to be), I haven't had any issues with the bluetooth controllers. I think they've worked great so far playing R:FOM and GT:HD. I tested both wired and wireless for those games and didn't notice a difference. I also might not have as much interference but so far I'm loving the wireless controllers.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-05-2007, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipz View Post

Although I have my PS3 wired via ethernet (because it's in the spot where my PS2 used to be), I haven't had any issues with the bluetooth controllers. I think they've worked great so far playing R:FOM and GT:HD. I tested both wired and wireless for those games and didn't notice a difference. I also might not have as much interference but so far I'm loving the wireless controllers.

Same here although I also have a wireless network going for my laptops.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page