Can you install Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 on a regular PC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-06-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that there is now a free download available of the Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 operating system for the PS3. I would like to be able to download, burn, and install that specific version on a spare PC to just see how it runs and what it is generally like. Is this possible, or can it ONLY be installed on the PS3. I know it is optimized for the PS3, but should it not run on a regular PC as well with similiar results as the PS3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-07-2007, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH View Post

I know that there is now a free download available of the Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 operating system for the PS3. I would like to be able to download, burn, and install that specific version on a spare PC to just see how it runs and what it is generally like. Is this possible, or can it ONLY be installed on the PS3. I know it is optimized for the PS3, but should it not run on a regular PC as well with similiar results as the PS3?

Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 for PS3 is PowerPC based. You cannot install it on Intel/AMD x86 PC. In theory, it can be modified to run on PowerPC based Mac, but Yellow Dog already has a version for PowerPC Mac.

YDL for PS3 rpm (installable binary) is just a regular PowerPC binary.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH
From default YDL5 for PS3 installation, it runs Enlightment and Gnome desktops. Gnome looks just like the version on the PC without all the fancy visual effects. The GUI or X runs using VESA driver which means it runs in the most generic video mode but able to run up to 1920x1080 resolution if your monitor/HDTV supports it. There is no 3D acceleration support. I don't like YDL running the desktop "underscan" because it leaves a large black border on each corner of the monitor unused. So you only get 1688x964 usable space.

Enlightment desktop has a few PS3 specific utilities like able to reboot back to PS3 Game OS mode.

But both desktops don't have many utilities out of default installation.

Since PS3 only has 256MB of memory, running both Firefox 1.5 and OpenOffice caused Linux to do heavy virtual memory paging. Running Linux on PS3 feels like running on a PC without much memory. 3.2GHz Cell processor doesn't help when there isn't much memory running Linux.

Here's a screen capture of YDL running on PS3 at 1920x1080 resolution. It's running in Gnome desktop.

If you are curious, I recommend installing YDL on your PS3. It's fun.

YDL5 on PS3.zip 294.8935546875k . file
post #4 of 4 Old 01-07-2007, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH View Post

As others have said, YDL is for PPC architecture, not regular PC's.

But even if it did work for PC's, why would you want it on a PC? Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 is a crippled version of linux.

You are much better off going with a Debian-based distro of linux for your PC such as Ubuntu,

or the ever-popular Mandriva (formerly Mandrake), or Fedora, which both use the RPM package management system also used in YDL.

The point is, if you want linux on your PC, it is wise to use linux distro's optimized for the PC, not PS3.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page