My PS3 looks way too bright (washed out) on my Samsung LCD...why is that? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PS3 connected to my Samsung LCD TV using an HDMI cable.

I also have a Toshiba HD-A2 player connected via HDMI to the same TV.

I also have my cable box DVR connected via Component cable to the same TV.

Settings on my Samsung LCD TV are: Contrast set to 90 and Brightness set to 50. Everything looked great, deep blacks, perfect contrast, etc. on all sources.

However, when I turn on my PS3, all of a sudden the image is washed out. I have to lower the brightness on my Samsung LCD TV down to 30.

For example:

Here's what it would look like on my PS3 via HDMI (to my Samsung LCD TV):

And here's how it should look:

Why is this happening? I don't have a component cable, or I would try connecting my PS3 that way.

Can anyone help me? Any thoughts from PS3 owners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

If your contrast is at 90, it would seem to me that the PS3 is the only one that is giving you accurate contrast. ANY tv at 90% contrast should look horrible, and nowhere near a calibrated standard. If you ask me, the PS3 isn't the problem. A properly calibrated TV usually ends up with contrast around 10-30% by the way.

This is assuming you're in a dark room (you want to be if you want to get the most out of your TV picture quality wise).
Old 01-08-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
contrast at 90% is virtually torch mode. Mine is at around 25% with my brightness around 40%
Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
My set doesn't have contrast. Is that same as "Picture".

There are some adjustments you can also make from PS3. When you are playing the BD/DVD press the triangle and you'll see some settings. There is also key combination you can press to get the adjustment patterns per another post in this forum. I can't remember the title.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Rieper, did you go into display settings and or BD settings and try the HDMI auto option or other options? Is the problem just on BD movies or games too? It seems you are saying it is washed out even on the XMB.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Same problem with my Westy 37 1080p. Washed out with the PS3 but fine with everything else.

My Westy is on the dull side and also needs the contrast cranked to get any dynamic range.

Something is going on with some lcd's and the PS3 making them washed out and dull looking at 1080p. If I switch mine to 1080i it looks normal but at 1080p it washes out.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee K View Post

If your contrast is at 90, it would seem to me that the PS3 is the only one that is giving you accurate contrast. ANY tv at 90% contrast should look horrible, and nowhere near a calibrated standard. If you ask me, the PS3 isn't the problem. A properly calibrated TV usually ends up with contrast around 10-30% by the way.

This is assuming you're in a dark room (you want to be if you want to get the most out of your TV picture quality wise).

It is not in torch mode, it looks perfect with every other source: XBOX 360, Toshiba HD-A2, Cable DVR (using component).

I have HDMI on the PS3 set to custom->480/720. Setting it to auto does not help my problem.

Any ideas?

p.s. thanks to those who've taken the time to reply.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found this link interesting: Reason behind washed out colors via HDMI in some TVs

PS3 inherently conforms to HDMI specification and outputs DVI-VIDEO signal. Thus, 16 is pure black and 235 is pure white. When a tv accepting only DVI-PC signal receives DVI-VIDEO signal, 16 becomes washed-out black and 235 washed-out white.

PS3 users can select YUV or RGB for BD/DVD video output signal in system settings from firmware 1.30. If you have experienced washed-out colors with BD/DVD, you can select YUV to enjoy the full color range. However, game video is not affected by this option.

Unfortunately, I tried selecting between YUV and RGB and even Auto settings on my PS3. It didn't help my problem.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Contrast at 90??!!! Yikes!!!

Is the PS3 plugged into its own HDMI port or are you switching between it and the A2? If you are using different HDMI ports, then you'll have to calibrate each input.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

contrast at 90% is virtually torch mode. Mine is at around 25% with my brightness around 40%

How in god's name can you see the picture of your tv with that kind of setting? If I used your settings, then I wouldn't be able to see nothing, lol. Mine is also at 90. Any lower, and everything starts to get dark. Say for instance, Motorstorm. The lighting in the game looks gorgeous, and even at 90, it doesn't look good. I have to bump the contrast to 100.

"Forgiveness is between them and god. I arrange the meeting."-John W. Creasy, R.I.P.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBau3r View Post

How in god's name can you see the picture of your tv with that kind of setting? If I used your settings, then I wouldn't be able to see nothing, lol. Mine is also at 90. Any lower, and everything starts to get dark. Say for instance, Motorstorm. The lighting in the game looks gorgeous, and even at 90, it doesn't look good. I have to bump the contrast to 100.

Exactly, I really don't understand why people consider 90-Contrast to be "torch mode".

I have the backlight setting on my Samsung LCD to Energy Saving "LOW". I have a perfect image with my cable DVR and Toshiba HD-A2. No blooming whites, or bleeding whites. Perfect blacks and background detail. No washed out images. It's just my PS3 that's giving me a headache with the brightness.

I guess I'll have to manually calibrate the spare HDMI input on my LCD TV for the PS3 specifically.

I only hope my next big TV purchase will play nice with my PS3. It will likely be a Bravia XBR4 when they come out.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:49 PM

I have the same problem and until they allow py pr pb color space (or whatever component is) for games, it will look washed out. I hope a new revision allows you to do this for ps3 and ps2 games. My direct tv varies between 720p and 1080i, but is still not washed out. Try to use ps3 component cables and even in 1080p the colors are deep and rich with no washed out look. I attribute it to the rgb color space being used for games over hdmi based on what I see and what I have read. Sorry, I need to say the ps3 is washed out over hdmi on games, but not over component. Blueray is washed out over hdmi when using rgb, but not when selecting py, pr, pb.

I have a samsung hls6187 and mentioned the washed out look of the ps3 as well in a previous post. The default black level is much higher on ps3 than anything else I own when using rgb, if you switch to py, pb, pr or whatever it is blueray looks great with deep black levels, unfortunately ps3 games seem to still run in rgb. For the record my xbox360 through component (1080p)has deep blacks, my wii through component (480p) has deep blacks, my direct tv through hdmi has fairly deep blacks and my ps3 (1080p) is washed out unless selecting the py, pb, pr or whatever for blueray, then blueray looks spectacular with very deep blacks. Another side note is if you play ps3 games through component in 1080p, they have deep blacks as well, so I think the hdmi colorspace with rgb default gives you a washed out look on ps3. I wish they gave the option for py, pb, pr through hdmi for games as well; then all would be perfect. Just my 2 cents.