I called Sony tech support, and they told me HDMI cables have diff versions!?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was having issues with my PS3 and HDMI connection on my TV.

So I called up Sony tech for my PS3 and the tech guy blew me away with the following:

"HDMI cables have different versions: 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3" and he recommended "getting a Psyclone HDMI for $99 from Best Buy". He admitted that the recommendation was "off the record" not endorsed by Sony, but he compared the Psyclone HDMI cable to the Monster HDMI and the Psyclone HDMI cable acted better with his PS3.

I even debated him, that HDMI 1.3 is a connection type, not a cable version. But he strongly insisted to me that there is in fact different versions of HDMI cables.

Is he BS'ing me? Are there really different types of HDMI cables?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 PM

I don't know about that, but I have an old HDMI cable that came with my Panasonic upconverting DVD player and it works fine with the PS3. Think it's a load of BS.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Did you ask him when the Scalling Issue will be Addressed??
post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that's a bunch of BS...

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu Ray Tier thread today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
post #5 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
it's possible cables are "rated" differently. basically a cheaper cable might not carry the higher bandwidth, and thus be rated "1.1"

I haven't seen this, but it's possible, some other cable use this method.

Does anyone know if higher HDMI versions run at higher frequency's than lower ones? if they do, the mans statement would hold water.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The HDMI specification does not define a maximum cable length. As with all cables, signal attenuation becomes too high at a certain length. Instead, HDMI specifies a minimum performance standard. Any cable meeting that specification is compliant. Different construction quality and materials will enable cables of different lengths. In addition, higher performance requirements must be met to support video formats with higher resolutions and/or frame rates than the standard HDTV formats.

The signal attenuation and intersymbol interference caused by the cables can be compensated by using Adaptive Equalization.

HDMI 1.3 defined two categories of cables: Category 1 (standard or HDTV) and Category 2 (high-speed or greater than HDTV) to reduce the confusion about which cables support which video formats. Using 28 AWG, a cable of about 5 meters (~16 feet) can be manufactured easily and inexpensively to Category 1 specifications. Higher-quality construction (24 AWG, tighter construction tolerances, etc.) can reach lengths of 12 to 15 meters. In addition, active cables (fiber optic or dual Cat-5 cables instead of standard copper) can be used to extend HDMI to 100 meters or more. Some companies also offer amplifiers, equalizers and repeaters that can string several standard (non-active) HDMI cables together.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page