AVS Forum banner

Optical (Dolby Digital) vs HDMI (TrueHD) Sound

85K views 170 replies 78 participants last post by  Cathbad 
#1 ·
I'll try to keep this short.

I have an HD-DVD player that I use for all my HD viewing. It's connected to my reciever by 5.1 anolog outputs allowing me to get TrueHD sound.

I recently purchased a PS3 and figured that I'd just sell the HD-DVD player.

What I wasn't considering is that my my reciever does not have HDMI inputs so the only way I can connect the PS3 to my reciver is by an optical cable.

Is there a noticable difference in sound in listening to a movie in TrueHD versus whatever format my reciever will accept from the Optical Cable? (It's an older Onkyo, mid priced reciever, about 5 years old) I'm assuming it supports dolby digital, DTS, etc, and it's 5.1. If there is a difference in the sound, is it enough to justify having an HD-DVD player for movies and just using my PS3 for gaming? I guess my other option is to sell the HD-DVD player and use that money to buy a new reciever that accepts HDMI...

See less See more
#53 ·
so i have a ps3 and a sony str-dg 910. i get full 7.1 in R:FOM and Warhawk but no on blu rays? hmmmmm? i don't think the ps3 supports D-TrueHD yet? or my settings are messed up. whats your thoughts?

#55 ·
HDMI 1.3 on the PS3 is pretty much a huge waste and gives the PS3 no benefit at all, as it is now, it pretty much serves no purpose. The PS3 cannot send out the bitstreams of trueHD or DTS HD, it cannot do X.V color, etc, so its a pretty pointless feature to have. I guess when and if the rumoured updates that allow DTS HD bitstreams to be pass it be cool to have, but for now its kinda of bleh.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by caskater /forum/post/11514010

Some really good information in this forum. I'm still having trouble finding the answer to my question after having waded through all the info.

So... I have an HD DVD player connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV receiver. The HD DVD player connects via component and optical for video and audio respectively.

My question is... what is the difference between connecting audio via

1. optical

vs 2. HDMI to receiver with no TrueHD support

vs 3. HDMI to receiver with TrueHD support

Should I keep what I have? upgrade to the 81TXV? or should I go with VSX-91TXH?

Thanks

First check to see if the 81 still has the LFE issue.

Hdmi connection with/without truehd support is the same. If your system is incapable of truehd, you'll get the dolby digital track. The ps3 decodes the truehd, so you shouldn't have to worry about a receiver that does it. Might be good to find one that does HD-MA if you're looking at buying blu-rays.

Your Connection right now is component/optical. With hdmi, you use a single hdmi cord to receiver, single cord to tv. receiver passes the video signal to tv, and outputs the sound. With hdmi switching, generally you only need a single hdmi cord running to your tv. Your receiver will convert all vid signals from all devices plugged to it.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by caskater /forum/post/11514010

Some really good information in this forum. I'm still having trouble finding the answer to my question after having waded through all the info.

So... I have an HD DVD player connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV receiver. The HD DVD player connects via component and optical for video and audio respectively.

My question is... what is the difference between connecting audio via

1. optical

vs 2. HDMI to receiver with no TrueHD support

vs 3. HDMI to receiver with TrueHD support

Should I keep what I have? upgrade to the 81TXV? or should I go with VSX-91TXH?

Thanks

I see your AVR has HDMI. Why are you using component and optical from your HDDVD? What HDDVD player do you have? I will guess your tv doesnt have HDMI?

Opticals max is DD and DTS also Coax.

HDMI will do TrueHD DTShd. But PS3 will convert it to PCM which most all AVR will handle which is the same. My HDDVD to my Onkyo 804 TrueHD is displayed as PCM the only format available to me that way on my AVR. Some other AVR's can add in DPLII to take advantage of 7.1 channels. TrueHD DTSHD currently only support 5.1 as far as I know right now. I also have mine connected analog 5.1 which also passes TrueHD which is multichannel inputs. Thats right you heard me analog. This is where sony fails on most of there BR devices. The PS3 doesn't have these.

As far as a TrueHD capable receiver connected to HDDVD & PS3 HDMI from what I know its still receiving PCM from the PS3 and HDDVD because they are unable to pass these formats. They are converted to PCM. Then this is sent to the AVR your AVR will probably still display to you its PCM. This what you want its DTrueHD.

I hope this helps explain this. If I'm not correct someone please correct me.

One note. I see this question here allot.

If you want to experience these new audio formats.

You have to connect the source to the AVR then out to TV for video.

Your TV cannot do pass through these formats. Usually the audio out is coax, this does not support these formats. Unless it has an HDMI out.

#59 ·
Great thread. I recently upgraded to a Harman Kardon AVR 247. The difference between HD audio (lossless, uncompressed PCM, Dolby TrueHD, whatever you wanna call it) is much greater than DD 5.1 or DTS through optical or HDMI. Whether it is worth it, is dependent on the individual... The cost of me to upgrade my system with lossless capabilities vs not, was only $100 or so. So YES for me it was worth it.

There are many great threads on lossless audio and HDMI audio on these boards. The basic things I've learned break down as the following (specifically for the PS3):

-You don't need 1.3 HDMI

-You don't need Dolby TrueHD decoding

-You need a HDMI 1.1 receiver that handles multichannel audio through HDMI

-You will not get DTS-HD ma whether your reciever decodes it or not, unless the PS3 decodes it and sends it PCM

Cheers

#60 ·

Quote:
Great thread. I recently upgraded to a Harman Kardon AVR 247. The difference between HD audio (lossless, uncompressed PCM, Dolby TrueHD, whatever you wanna call it) is much greater than DD 5.1 or DTS through optical or HDMI. Whether it is worth it, is dependent on the individual... The cost of me to upgrade my system with lossless capabilities vs not, was only $100 or so. So YES for me it was worth it.

Correction optical is not capable of carrying PCM or TrueHD. Coax can not do it either.

I just posted this.

#62 ·
I've perused this thread a bit, but I don't think anyone has addressed this question yet:

I have an optical cable hooked up from my PS3 to my receiver, a Denon AVR-1804. Would it be better for me to watch movies in Dolby Digital or to put my receiver on the PCM setting and select the uncompressed 5.1 track? Experimenting a little, it sounds like the PCM setting may work better, but I'm not sure how, exactly, the sound is coming through. Also, should the PS3 be configured to output in Bitstream or Linear PCM?

Thanks! I feel like I used to know a lot about this stuff, but I've fallen far behind in recent years...

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_P /forum/post/11728683

I've perused this thread a bit, but I don't think anyone has addressed this question yet:

I have an optical cable hooked up from my PS3 to my receiver, a Denon AVR-1804. Would it be better for me to watch movies in Dolby Digital or to put my receiver on the PCM setting and select the uncompressed 5.1 track? Experimenting a little, it sounds like the PCM setting may work better, but I'm not sure how, exactly, the sound is coming through. Also, should the PS3 be configured to output in Bitstream or Linear PCM?

Thanks! I feel like I used to know a lot about this stuff, but I've fallen far behind in recent years...

You can attempt to output in pcm through optical, but you'll only get 2.0 sound. If you wish, you can matrix the 2.0 out to 5.1 using PLII on your receiver. Some claim the matrixed 2.0 sounds better than the 5.1 dolby digital (when using bitstream).

If you're using optical, you should have it in settings/optical/bitstream unless you wish to do what I mentioned above.

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_six_pack /forum/post/11728928

You can attempt to output in pcm through optical, but you'll only get 2.0 sound. If you wish, you can matrix the 2.0 out to 5.1 using PLII on your receiver. Some claim the matrixed 2.0 sounds better than the 5.1 dolby digital (when using bitstream).

If you're using optical, you should have it in settings/optical/bitstream unless you wish to do what I mentioned above.

Thanks very much. It seems that it might sound a little fuller when matrixing it in PLII, but it seems to me the directionality couldn't be as good as with DD.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac /forum/post/11724241

Correction optical is not capable of carrying PCM or TrueHD. Coax can not do it either.

I just posted this.

Umm.. I know.. Where did I say this? (But if you want to get technical... optical CAN carry 2 channel PCM, just not multi-channel)

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRob /forum/post/11730891

Umm.. I know.. Where did I say this? (But if you want to get technical... optical CAN carry 2 channel PCM, just not multi-channel)

Sorry I meant to tell you I misunderstood your post.

You are correct it can but that sucks.

#67 ·
One note pretty closely related to this thread:

At least 1 game (Tiger Woods golf 2007) does not appear to provide optical digital audio.

If I connect to TV using hdmi audio is fine (the tv does not pass through hdmi audio to

optical either). So without an hdmi compatible amp such as mine, you also have to

change ps3 audio option for some games (minor pain, but a pain nonetheless).

#69 ·
Thanks, I didn't see that anywhere on the box. Is it in the literature,

or did you only know due to having an appropriate decoding receiver

with display of input feed? From other similar threads, I may be able

to get DTS audio with a tweak of PS3 to select pcm, but would only

get 2 channel audio (hopefully only for this game, though it sounds like

it would be for all audio output so still require setting mod only for TWG still...)?

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber /forum/post/9635319

IMO, there is quite a bit of difference between Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and PCM vs standard DD 5.1.

I've been able to enjoy the new codecs with my receiver and love it.

Just curious here, I just upgraded from a vizio 50 inch plasma to a panasonic 50 inch 1080p. I just bought a toshiba a-30 and I have a question about the pcm vs/ optical outputs. My Onkyo 804 has hdmi, but not dd hd or dts-hd. It did decode 300 and I even switched the format to dolby digital hd, and it played the format. The audio quality seemed richer, but much more quiet. I had to turn up my reciever up about 6 clicks, darn near refernce level calibrated to 75 db jsut to get it as loud as before with optical. Is it all around better to used the pcm?

Also, when movies come out in 7.1, will the pcm deliver true 7.1?

also, someone said the bass management in pcm takes the bass down 10 dbs? is this correct? Is this why pcm sounds so quet?

Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarzoo /forum/post/11841215

Just curious here, I just upgraded from a vizio 50 inch plasma to a panasonic 50 inch 1080p. I just bought a toshiba a-30 and I have a question about the pcm vs/ optical outputs. My Onkyo 804 has hdmi, but not dd hd or dts-hd. It did decode 300 and I even switched the format to dolby digital hd, and it played the format. The audio quality seemed richer, but much more quiet. I had to turn up my reciever up about 6 clicks, darn near refernce level calibrated to 75 db jsut to get it as loud as before with optical. Is it all around better to used the pcm?

Also, when movies come out in 7.1, will the pcm deliver true 7.1?

also, someone said the bass management in pcm takes the bass down 10 dbs? is this correct? Is this why pcm sounds so quet?

Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

How did you switch the format to Truehd?

I have the 804 also> I prefer the "multi channel PCM" over coax or optical.

I also have HDDVD connected 5.1 multi channel. Sounds good but prefer HDMI PCM. Set your A30 to auto.

True 7.1 Im not sure.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac /forum/post/11841669

How did you switch the format to Truehd?

I have the 804 also> I prefer the "multi channel PCM" over coax or optical.

I also have HDDVD connected 5.1 multi channel. Sounds good but prefer HDMI PCM. Set your A30 to auto.

True 7.1 Im not sure.

I switched the format of 300 in the menu settings, language, then to True HD, it sounds very quiet... I then popped in top gun and the bass sounded boomy, almost too much. The 804 has a lfe setting for multichannel pcm. I know it does sound better, but am I going to have to recalibrate all my speakers for the pcm now?

#75 ·
#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarycall /forum/post/11844515

You have hdmi from ps3 -> receiver... like these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Q1rMD8d...910&c=4&tp=179
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Q1rMD8d...05B&c=4&tp=179

They will process the DD/DTS or lossless PCM audio running on the hdmi connection from the ps3 and play it in 7.1 out your speakers. Then you buy another hdmi cable and you connect the receiver -> tv with that one. (These receivers can accept multiple hdmi inputs, and switch the single output to your tv).

I guess I got kinda lost. Were you responding to me?

If I use HDMI, do I need to run rca cable from hd-dvd to the receiver ? Or is the hdmi to onkyo 804 on multichannel the same thing? It does sound very bassy, what should I do to correct? recalibrate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.