AVS Forum banner

Optical (Dolby Digital) vs HDMI (TrueHD) Sound

85K views 170 replies 78 participants last post by  Cathbad 
#1 ·
I'll try to keep this short.

I have an HD-DVD player that I use for all my HD viewing. It's connected to my reciever by 5.1 anolog outputs allowing me to get TrueHD sound.

I recently purchased a PS3 and figured that I'd just sell the HD-DVD player.

What I wasn't considering is that my my reciever does not have HDMI inputs so the only way I can connect the PS3 to my reciver is by an optical cable.

Is there a noticable difference in sound in listening to a movie in TrueHD versus whatever format my reciever will accept from the Optical Cable? (It's an older Onkyo, mid priced reciever, about 5 years old) I'm assuming it supports dolby digital, DTS, etc, and it's 5.1. If there is a difference in the sound, is it enough to justify having an HD-DVD player for movies and just using my PS3 for gaming? I guess my other option is to sell the HD-DVD player and use that money to buy a new reciever that accepts HDMI...

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarzoo /forum/post/11844733

I guess I got kinda lost. Were you responding to me?

If I use HDMI, do I need to run rca cable from hd-dvd to the receiver ? Or is the hdmi to onkyo 804 on multichannel the same thing? It does sound very bassy, what should I do to correct? recalibrate?

That should be the first thing. For some reason the LFE on my 804 is all over the place when I do my autocalibrate. some times it will set my Sub to +6 (too boomy) other times it's +12!. All with the Mic in the same place on a tri-pod, and me out of the room. If it still sounds too bassy you can manually adjust the gain on the 804, from +12db down to (I think) -18db. I have mine set at 0db gain, but that depends on your room and what sub you are using.

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz /forum/post/11844837

That should be the first thing. For some reason the LFE on my 804 is all over the place when I do my autocalibrate. some times it will set my Sub to +6 (too boomy) other times it's +12!. All with the Mic in the same place on a tri-pod, and me out of the room. If it still sounds too bassy you can manually adjust the gain on the 804, from +12db down to (I think) -18db. I have mine set at 0db gain, but that depends on your room and what sub you are using.

hsu 3.3 with turbo... I calibrated using a spl meter, and the pcm sends the lfe through the roof. I just wondered if I need to recalibrate with the microphone.

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarzoo /forum/post/11845272

hsu 3.3 with turbo... I calibrated using a spl meter, and the pcm sends the lfe through the roof. I just wondered if I need to recalibrate with the microphone.

Nice subwoofer, btw.

LFE channels are handled differently by many devices, and the way they are handled changes based on the type of connection. many receivers need to have the LFE channel boosted by 10db or more when coming in over multichannel analog. Play with your LFE settings on your receiver. If you can't make it sound like normal, then recalibrate.

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisizer /forum/post/11848714

Nice subwoofer, btw.

LFE channels are handled differently by many devices, and the way they are handled changes based on the type of connection. many receivers need to have the LFE channel boosted by 10db or more when coming in over multichannel analog. Play with your LFE settings on your receiver. If you can't make it sound like normal, then recalibrate.

cool, then I will. The multichannel output makes the sub sound boomy, and when you get a sub like I have, boomy bass is hard to achieve. They must really jack up the lfe on the multichannel.

Thanks for the tip....

on a side note, check out my website I created for home theater install. I did all the work on the basement myself in 5 weeks. Let me know what you think...

http://www.itsnothertheater.com

#82 ·
I would try using the 804's auto calibrate feature, and see how that does it. I still have to monkey with it depending on the source. I get WAY too much bass when listening to two channel music (SACD via the PS3) so I have to turn the sub gain down for that, it's fine for Games, a lil boomy for movies. I dunno. I've just accepted it as an LFE track vs source problem.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarzoo /forum/post/11841870

I switched the format of 300 in the menu settings, language, then to True HD, it sounds very quiet... I then popped in top gun and the bass sounded boomy, almost too much. The 804 has a lfe setting for multichannel pcm. I know it does sound better, but am I going to have to recalibrate all my speakers for the pcm now?

What is your A30 setting for PCM?

My 804 sub is set to 0db auto calibrate set it this way. I actually change it when watching movies on my A1 to +2 or 3.

On your 804 what is your sub settings?

Crossover?

Is it set to LFE only? Double Bass?

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac /forum/post/11855495

What is your A30 setting for PCM?

My 804 sub is set to 0db auto calibrate set it this way. I actually change it when watching movies on my A1 to +2 or 3.

On your 804 what is your sub settings?

Crossover?

Is it set to LFE only? Double Bass?

my gain on my sub is at around 8:30, around 10-12 % of the max, and my sub trim is set to -7. A-30 is set to pcm, and it's too bassy

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarzoo /forum/post/11856254

my gain on my sub is at around 8:30, around 10-12 % of the max, and my sub trim is set to -7. A-30 is set to pcm, and it's too bassy

A30 set pcm to auto this will give you DD when playing SD disk and PCM for HDDVD. Let me get this straight cause I got lost in some posts. You have A30 connected HDMI to 804. The input for your A30 is set to HDMI on your 804for video, and 804 digital input setting is --- for that same input correct?

You have a monster nice sub!

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnurmac /forum/post/11857337

A30 set pcm to auto this will give you DD when playing SD disk and PCM for HDDVD. Let me get this straight cause I got lost in some posts. You have A30 connected HDMI to 804. The input for your A30 is set to HDMI on your 804for video, and 804 digital input setting is --- for that same input correct?

You have a monster nice sub!

yes, is that correct??

is it better to go str8 to tv with hdmi, and optical to receiver?? picture vs// sound comparison///

also does anyone know with the hd-dvds if 300 doesn't look that great, but top gun looked phenominal

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz /forum/post/11857657

300 on HD-DVD or Blu ray both looked the same..kind of hazy/veiled. It was the same in the theater. Shot that way on purpose.

cool thanks

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarzoo /forum/post/11857601

yes, is that correct??

is it better to go str8 to tv with hdmi, and optical to receiver?? picture vs// sound comparison///

also does anyone know with the hd-dvds if 300 doesn't look that great, but top gun looked phenominal

Yes you have it exactly that way or are you asking me if its correct?

Going HDMI to tv I know allot of people would agree. I see no difference going to the 804 or going to my set. I have compared many times

You cannot get TrueHD over optical! It can only handle 2ch pcm. Someone correct me if Im wrong. I think this is why your sub is so boomy. You have to go HDMI to the 804. It does a great job. Also can pass and upconvert all your other connections and pass them to your set over a single HDMI out. Or you can run HDMI to your set. Then Analog 5.1 out from A30 to the 804s multichannel input. Both of these give you Truehd

On you A30 what is your digital output set at? Your A30 is outputting a signal at all outputs all the time. So you should only get DD DTS to light up on your 804.

Give me a run down of your connections and settings from the A30.

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 /forum/post/11858631

So for those of you who have True HD and DTS-HD now. Is there a big difference now from when you had only DTS?

Please give me real responses.

it's kinda of wierd, I have a 7.1 setup, usually running dts-es or dd - ex, and then going from that back to 5.1, it's odd. sounds seems richer. LFE needs worked on tremendously, volume is a bit lower, but certain sound effects stand out much more. Going back to listening to an optical cable sounds as if the actors are in a tin can.

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 /forum/post/11858631

So for those of you who have True HD and DTS-HD now. Is there a big difference now from when you had only DTS?

Please give me real responses.

DD to TrueHD YES!

DTS one have not had the pleasure.

#94 ·
Hello wondering if you guys can help I just got the Denon AVR-2808CI (avr-988) and the Pioneer Elite VSX-91TXH (vsx-9120txh-k) denon was $1200+ tax and the Pioneer was $999+ tax but the guy told me he will give me an extra $200 of on the Pioneer if and when I return the Denon both are HDMI 1.3 and will do the new sound formats.

I hooked up the denon yesterday night and poped in Apocalipto BR and it sounds amayzing then I played Resistance and it too sounds awesome, are there any other titles that might help me with my dilema?

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massiso /forum/post/11865882

Hello wondering if you guys can help I just got the Denon AVR-2808CI (avr-988) and the Pioneer Elite VSX-91TXH (vsx-9120txh-k) denon was $1200+ tax and the Pioneer was $999+ tax but the guy told me he will give me an extra $200 of on the Pioneer if and when I return the Denon both are HDMI 1.3 and will do the new sound formats.

I hooked up the denon yesterday night and poped in Apocalipto BR and it sounds amayzing then I played Resistance and it too sounds awesome, are there any other titles that might help me with my dilema?

Actually in your case this is more of a question of which AVR works better with your speakers. In either case you gave the AVR's arent doing anything except running the PCM from the PS3 to their DAC, and then to the Amp sections, and out to the speakers. Apocalipto has an Uncompressed PCM soundtrack (no need for DD or DTS stupid properitary gimme all the money format crap
..sorry..off on a tangent there)..back on point. The (uncompressed) LPCM track gives you the same end result as Dolby HD or DTS-HD (after decoding) Same with Resistance, it's an LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 track, so the AVR does nothing but DAC it and Amp. You dont really need a 1.3 AVR.. and IF the PS3 does get DTS-HD, you wont need 1.3 at all as the PS3 will be decoding these formats onboard, and still send LPCM to the AVR.

#96 ·
i was planning on getting either an older onkyo 7.1 (790) or a new onkyo 5.1 (600) and running it through PS3 optical because i thought hdmi and optical were digital and were equal, but after reading this thread, apparently they are not.

Should i find a receiver from a not as good brand that has hdmi pass through so i can get lossless, or sitck with onkyo and the 2.1 signal? im trying to pay somewhere between 250 and 350.

another thing, does the ps3 even support full 7.1 sound? the few blurays i have are only 5.1 and the games dont say what thier audio is, is it worth it, living in a small room?

#97 ·
Hey guys whats up. Long time reader first time poster. OK

I have a question regarding my current setup.

I just recently got the Sharp Aquos 52"D64U which is HDMI 1.3 compatible. I also just picked up a new receiver the Pioneer VSX-1017, its one step below the elite series but still has HDMI connectivity. I also obviously have a PS3.

Ok, my current setup is

HDMI from PS3 ---> Receiver

Optical from PS3 --> Receiver

HDMI from Receiver --> TV

I want to be able to experience 1.3 Audio and Video with my new TV and PS3 for bluray and games.

Currently the only reason I have to have the optical from the PS3 to receiver is because the HDMI cable is passing the audio right to the TV speakers and not to the Surround System. When I change the sound setting on the PS3 to HDMI the sound only comes from the TV speakers and not my receiver!!

Now do I just connect the HDMI from the PS3 directly to the TV and leave the Optical from the PS3 to the receiver?? In order to get HDMI 1.3 Video thats my only option but how can i get the Audio from the HDMI to go through my surround sound system? Thanks for the help in advance!!!

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb_oz /forum/post/11948421

if it has hdmi pass through then only video goes through the receiver.

Ok, I get that part but then how do I get to use the HDMI for audio through the PS3 and not just video?

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 /forum/post/11948021

Hey guys whats up. Long time reader first time poster. OK

I have a question regarding my current setup.

I just recently got the Sharp Aquos 52"D64U which is HDMI 1.3 compatible. I also just picked up a new receiver the Pioneer VSX-1017, its one step below the elite series but still has HDMI connectivity. I also obviously have a PS3.

Ok, my current setup is

HDMI from PS3 ---> Receiver

Optical from PS3 --> Receiver

HDMI from Receiver --> TV

I want to be able to experience 1.3 Audio and Video with my new TV and PS3 for bluray and games.

Currently the only reason I have to have the optical from the PS3 to receiver is because the HDMI cable is passing the audio right to the TV speakers and not to the Surround System. When I change the sound setting on the PS3 to HDMI the sound only comes from the TV speakers and not my receiver!!

Now do I just connect the HDMI from the PS3 directly to the TV and leave the Optical from the PS3 to the receiver?? In order to get HDMI 1.3 Video thats my only option but how can i get the Audio from the HDMI to go through my surround sound system? Thanks for the help in advance!!!

in the receivers thread - your answer awaits. but here - this will help. by default - your pioneer receiver ships with a setting on called HDMI THROUGH. do you see it on your lcd when you start the ps3 on it and no optical? that is why the sound is going through to the tv from the hdmi.

i had the same issue - same with others.

you must swich your receiver HDMI audio setting to AMP - and not THROUGH.

look in the troubleshooting section of your receiver manual for SOUND problems. you will see it talk about sound going to tv and not amp - it will then tell you how to change it on your amp.

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxxer /forum/post/11948749

in the receivers thread - your answer awaits. but here - this will help. by default - your pioneer receiver ships with a setting on called HDMI THROUGH. do you see it on your lcd when you start the ps3 on it and no optical? that is why the sound is going through to the tv from the hdmi.

i had the same issue - same with others.

you must swich your receiver HDMI audio setting to AMP - and not THROUGH.

look in the troubleshooting section of your receiver manual for SOUND problems. you will see it talk about sound going to tv and not amp - it will then tell you how to change it on your amp.

Ok problem solved. Called pioneer and they told me these models will not pass through HDMI audio no matter what. In the meantime I ran across the street to the local best buy and upgraded to the pioneer elite 91 series that has hdmi 3.1 tru HD and DD hd and will pass through audio all for $200, got them to knock off 200 off the MSRP and just exchanged the other receiver i bought from them....thanks guys for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.