Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3 can use kb/mouse or SIXAXIS tilt to aim - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Wow, perhaps you don't need a $2,000 rig to play a decent FPS game anymore...

Quote:

For those of you hardcore PC purists, mouse and keyboard controls will be available in the PS3 version through the USB ports on the front of the machine. In addition, the Sixaxis controller will get its usual nod and the motion sensor can be used to control where you look. The Sony rep apologized for it not being accessible on the demo I was playing, and he suggested that it was actually very accurate once you got the hang of it.

As far as graphical appeal, the game looks at least as good as Gears of War or Doom 3 with glitzy lighting galore. Judging from the level that I played (a space station sort of thing), Unreal's classic quality level design is in full effect. A large map with both huge open areas and tight claustrophobia-inducing corridors was strewn with chokepoints, cover and shining neon doodads. With strange glowing tubes and other bits of high-tech machinery coating nearly every surface, the whole package was really incredibly striking. All this, the framerate was still sky-high.

http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3.../771700p1.html

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, I don't believe what he saw/played was Unreal Tournament 3. I believe it's more of a tech demo put together to show off Unreal Engine 3 running on the PS3. They had a similar demo at GDC 2006 where you could move around and fire weapons. I can't recall if there were bots in it or not. So I don't believe it's Unreal Tournament 3 because this looked way too much like that previous demo. I could see how one could mistake it for such since it was like a FPS, but I wouldn't be so quick to claim it was. Second, I don't know what this person is smoking but the performance was terrible. Silky smooth framerate? The game was running at less than 30 fps most of the time and that was without anyone on screen or firing any weapons. I can't believe they were trying to promote Unreal Engine 3 showing that kind of performance with barely anything going on. It was like that all the time as I stopped by a few times to see if maybe I caught it when it was starting to have memory leaks causing performance slowdown or something, but nope, it was always like that.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknight View Post

First off, I don't believe what he saw/played was Unreal Tournament 3. I believe it's more of a tech demo put together to show off Unreal Engine 3 running on the PS3. They had a similar demo at GDC 2006 where you could move around and fire weapons. I can't recall if there were bots in it or not. So I don't believe it's Unreal Tournament 3 because this looked way too much like that previous demo. I could see how one could mistake it for such since it was like a FPS, but I wouldn't be so quick to claim it was. Second, I don't know what this person is smoking but the performance was terrible. Silky smooth framerate? The game was running at less than 30 fps most of the time and that was without anyone on screen or firing any weapons. I can't believe they were trying to promote Unreal Engine 3 showing that kind of performance with barely anything going on. It was like that all the time as I stopped by a few times to see if maybe I caught it when it was starting to have memory leaks causing performance slowdown or something, but nope, it was always like that.

did you play this yourself?
cause i can't find a video from that link that would suggest anything o_O

i also dont see more than 1 picture. i must be missing something if you have so much to criticize
post #4 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfu View Post

did you play this yourself?
cause i can't find a video from that link that would suggest anything o_O

i also dont see more than 1 picture. i must be missing something if you have so much to criticize

Here's what you're missing:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/771/771340p1.html
post #5 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 01:24 AM

i saw the jan. videos i didn't see an update for march is all
post #6 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 02:53 AM

Since there's going to be a kb/mouse support, I wonder if they'll include the mod editor as well. If not, then off to PC land I go. O yeah, anyone know if players can play against each other via ps3 and pc? I know sony did it w/phantasy star and Final Fantasy.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmmm sixAxis control sounds very interesting!

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #8 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 AM

Sweet, I hope 360 doesnt have that option.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

awesome, I was hoping to see some KB/Mouse support in PS3 games.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
I've never seen the big deal with KB/M support anyways. Both the 360 and the PS3 should offering. I mean its 2007. Just include an option for playing online that has rules like the following:

1) KB/M only
2) Controller only
3) KB/M & Controller

problem solved..

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #11 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I've never seen the big deal with KB/M support anyways. Both the 360 and the PS3 should offering. I mean its 2007. Just include an option for playing online that has rules like the following:

1) KB/M only
2) Controller only
3) KB/M & Controller

problem solved..

That sounds like a simple solutions, doesn't it? Yet still, just about every time I've seen a dev questioned about KB/M support for their console FPS, they always bring up that it will unbalance the online gameplay. I'm failing to understand why game rules that the host can set like the ones you just mentioned are so difficult to implement. They have the ability to track and modify just about everything in the game through rules, what makes KB/M support so different?
post #12 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You honestly think he's reporting on something YOU saw a year ago? Maybe he wasn't smoking anything--maybe it was something entirely different, and the 'silky smooth framerate' is because it wasn't a tech demo you saw. Was the Sony rep smoking something, too? Was all of this smoke interfering with the machine?

Which part of "first look" was the difficult part for you to understand? How could he have a first look of something shown over a year ago, genius?

You seem pretty sure for someone who is basically pulling stuff out of his ass.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #13 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

You honestly think he's reporting on something YOU saw a year ago? Maybe he wasn't smoking anything--maybe it was something entirely different, and the 'silky smooth framerate' is because it wasn't a tech demo you saw. Was the Sony rep smoking something, too? Was all of this smoke interfering with the machine?

Which part of "first look" was the difficult part for you to understand? How could he have a first look of something shown over a year ago, genius?

The impressions on ps3.ign.com pretty much confirm what Darknight was saying. They state that there was an Unreal Engine 3 tech demo at GDC with nice looking graphics but a poor frame rate. I doubt that the guy from Gamespy would get to see something that IGN would not. This may not bode well for R6: Vegas on PS3.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 08:56 AM

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-36...urnament-3/p1/

according to this no slowdown or hiccups at all
post #15 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Let me be clear. I was at GDC last year and I was at GDC this year. I saw the demo last year. I saw the demo this year. The demo was very very similar to what they had before which is why I didn't think it was Unreal Tournament 3. Same environment, same weapons, etc. They were clear it wasn't Unreal Tournament last year and I got that from a friend at Epic who was working on UE3 for the PS3. So given the similarities between the demos, I assumed it was not UT3 and just an updated version of that demo. So if I'm mistaken that it's really is UT3, then I'm sorry but that doesn't change the fact that it had a terrible framerate at this year's GDC.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-36...urnament-3/p1/

according to this no slowdown or hiccups at all

Well techinically that might be true, but if you're running at 20 to 25 fps solid, even though you're not slowing down or having the framerate hiccup, that doesn't change the fact that the framerate and performance wasn't great.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Well techinically that might be true, but if you're running at 20 to 25 fps solid, even though you're not slowing down or having the framerate hiccup, that doesn't change the fact that the framerate and performance wasn't great.

Well to be fair that is from an xbox site and they may be comparing it to Gears which also sports a fairly low framerate. However Gears does sport hiccups and framerate issues on a occassoin as well.

Only thing is though Gears is a slow moving game where Unreal games have usually been faster from what I recall.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a link from 1up from GDC 2006 that shows a picture of what was shown:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148958

You can see it's clearly looks like it could be mistaken for UT3. That's exactly what this year's demo looked like.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Gosh, I hope the sixaxis support works as well as Blast Factor when I try to do a shockwave! Golly! I'll stick with controller for now. I was excited about the Wii and FPS: then I played Red Steel. If they could throw me the gun peripheral, that would be a little better. Sixaxis support for aiming. How far could you turn to the right before your wrists broke?

"The well-placed coin changes much - even itself." - Lao-Tse
post #20 of 20 Old 03-09-2007, 05:06 PM
awx
AVS Special Member

Keyboard and mouse support is awesome - I've been waiting for this good news since before the PS3 was released. We'll be competitive against PC players now. Mod support opens up a whole world of cool stuff. UT3 is going to be a great buy for me.

PSN: YstadYakuza
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page